The Greatest of These is Love

By Koko

 

Two years have passed since Frenchy Devereaux left Eagle Station for New Orleans. Eagle Station had become too small for this vision minded entrepreneur, and Frenchy was ready to move on to bigger and better places. Where he was going was undecided until Ben Cartwright’s beautiful sister-in-law, Jeannette, visited her beloved sister’s family. Frenchy was immediately attracted to Jeannette and shared her love of gourmet cuisine and dignified culture that was sorely lacking in Eagle Station. Jeannette returned to New Orleans on the stage and Frenchy traveled to the city on the bayou in the fancy red and black carriage he’d recently purchased.

Frenchy’s farewell to his friends in Eagle Station was felt by all, especially Frenchy’s faithful right-hand man, Big Dan. Frenchy would never admit it, but he saw Big Dan as more than just a body guard and convenient employee who was always willing to serve and protect the proprietor of the livery and town council member – he was a faithful friend. Big Dan’s size and backwoods appearance brought him instant respect, but a misconception of the special and caring man he truly is. As Big Dan watched his friend disappear into the distance, a tear ran down his bearded face and he quickly went back inside the livery that was entrusted to his care by Frenchy. What would folks in town think if they saw Big Dan shedding a tear or two over Maurice Devereaux. Big Dan didn’t care if Frenchy made degrading remarks about him. His heart was as big as the man and Dan overlooked Frenchy’s comments that would offend others.

Yes, Big Dan is a special person and his loyalty to Frenchy was something Mr. Devereaux took for granted. Several failed business opportunities and Jeannette’s recent marriage to a good friend in New Orleans made Frenchy see what he had left behind in Eagle Station. A small town on the frontier may be lacking in the culture and sophistication Frenchy thought would make him happy and content. Truth is, he was miserable and missed his dear friend, Big Dan and the other friends and business associates he had in Eagle Station, and Frenchy knew it was time to return to where he really belonged. The time in New Orleans was not wasted, though disappointing to the debonair Frenchman. His broken heart over Shelby’s rejection of love and marriage had long since healed and like many others in Eagle Station, he missed this fiery owner of the only saloon in town. Shelby was once a good friend to Frenchy, and friendships are more important than relationships. Yes, it was time to return to Eagle Station. Frenchy sold what few possessions he had left to purchase a stage ticket to Eagle Station, Nevada. The stage line clerk scoffed, "Why in the world do you want to go to Eagle Station, Nevada, Maurice? That is nothing but a dusty old mining town that just happens to be stop for our coaches that are heading west to the big cities in California." True to his proud manner, Frenchy tipped his head and replied, "Messier, I assure you, Eagle Station is more than just a convenient stop for the stage line. My friend, if you ever want to find what is really important in life, come to Eagle Station and you’ll find it. I never realized what was there until I left and lucky for me, stage line roads travel both ways. My ticket now please, Messier, if you don’t mind."

It was a long journey back to Nevada and the stage was far less comfortable than the fancy carriage, but Maurice didn’t mind. He has learned a lot about what is important in life and settled back and contemplated his return to Eagle Station. Frenchy smiled as he thought, "I wonder what Big Dan has done with my livery business? I bet it looks the same as I left it. Dan, my big, loyal and trusted friend, I’ve not given you enough credit and respect. The first thing I’m going to do is make you my partner. Huhm, Devereaux – Larsen Livery – yes, I like the sound of it. Maybe Dan, you and I can build a stage that is much more comfortable that this teeth rattling contraption."

"WOAH – WOAH!" The driver’s command to the four horses that powered the stage signaled their arrival in Eagle Station. As Maurice Devereaux exited the stage, a stranger greeted him. "Welcome to my town, Eagle Station! My name is Jack Wolf! I own this mighty fine hotel and the livery down the street. You’ve had a long hard ride and I’m sure you could use some comfort and companionship. I serve the best and purest whiskey in town and these mighty pretty ladies can make your visit to Eagle Station mighty memorable, if you catch my meaning."

Frenchy looked up and down the main street of town and blinked his eyes at the change Eagle Station had made in the past two years. There was indeed a hotel, but also a newspaper office, school, church and even a park. Frenchy was a bit dismayed until he spotted Orowitz’s General Store, Shelby’s Saloon and the Town Hall that was built before Frenchy left Eagle Station. What about the livery business that Maurice had left in the care of Big Dan? Thoughts of his long-time bodyguard tugged at Maurice’s heart. "Big Dan, my entrusted friend, something is wrong?" You would not have abandoned my livery business, unless…" Frenchy had many questions and he knew Jack Wolf would have the answers. Frenchy entered the town’s first ‘hotel’ in his usual confident and dignified manner, "Messier Wolf!" Sensing a wealthy and weary traveler, Jack turned on the charm, "How may I be of assistance sir? May I put you up in the hotel’s finest room with my best ‘lady’? By the way, I didn’t catch your name sir!" Holding his temper in check, Frenchy replied, "I am Maurice Devereaux and I own the livery in this town, not you. I left my business in the capable hands of Dan Larsen, known around here as Big Dan. Perhaps you’ve met him, Mr. Wolf, is it?" Jack smugly replied at the reference of Dan Larsen, "You mean that over-size grizzly looking fellow that now works for Shelby Sterrett in her, pardon the statement, saloon? Yes, and when I arrived in town, Big Dan had a "fer rent’ sign on your business, sir. Being a man of means and stature, I felt a duty to help this poor fellow out. After all, he didn’t seem very happy, or capable of running a business, and, the livery’s general appearance was unfitting for the plans I had in mind for Eagle Station. Look around, Mr. Devereaux, see how prosperous Eagle Station has become since you left. It’s because of me and my influential persuasion to folks with real money, not those seeking a fortune in cattle ranching or gold-diggers in the hills. Now sir, you’ve hard a long trip and must be tired. I’ll give you the best room in the hotel, and the…." Frenchy slammed his fist on the counter in anger replied, "Mr. Wolf, Eagle Station was a good town when I left with honest, hard-working decent folks, who wanted to see the town grow with honor. I didn’t see it at the time, because like you, I was blinded by arrogance and greed. I would not dignify your ‘hotel’ or the available ‘companionship’ you offer, Messier. I am going to Shelby’s Saloon, where I will not only have 100% whiskey, but good friends and neighbors who I once took for granted. I too, Mr. Wolf, plan to reclaim my livery business. Sir, as a man of business, you should that when you ‘rent’, you have no right to make changes without the consent or approval of the landlord. "

"Humph", Jack responded, "I didn’t sign a contract, but I had witnesses who saw me pay your so called friend, Big Dan, six months rent for the livery. So the way I see it, Mr. Devereaux, you are trying to take back what is not rightfully yours, at least, not for six months. You see, I am Jack Wolf, and there is not a judge in this territory who has not heard of me, or for that matter, owes a great deal of ‘favors’ ". Frenchy’s response was equally as confident, "So, Messier, you are Jack Wolf. I have indeed heard of you and it’s not with honor that I remember you, sir. Two years ago, had you come to Eagle Station with your apparent arrogant greed and desire for power, I would have been the first to welcome you. But not now! Eagle Station is a good town and Maurice "Frenchy" Devereaux is home to stay, as the rightful owner of the livery, and member of the town council. I bid you good day, Messier." Jack shrugged his shoulders as he thought, "This is my town now, Maurice Frenchy Devereaux, and I’m Jack Wolf. You have lost your place in this town, to me, and no matter what you were, sir, I am far more superior!"

Frenchy needed to cool down after his encounter with Jack Wolf and knew the best place to do that was Shelby’s Saloon. Thoughts of Shelby resurrected a once painful memory in Maurice’s mind. "Ah, Shelby, if you only loved me like I loved you then, how different things might have been for both of us. But that was then, and this is now! Big Dan, my friend, I am sorry of how I once thought of you. You love everyone and everything with that big heart of yours. You see no fault in others, when that is all I saw, at least back then. I never would have admitted it before now, but Shelby and I are cut from the same cloth. Could it be that Shelby too has mellowed and softened the past two years? That’s not important, now. Big Dan Larsen, my friend, it is you that I owe a debt of gratitude too, and for Shelby, well, it just does not matter now. "

As Frenchy entered Shelby’s Saloon, he heard a familiar and welcoming voice, "Hold your horses, will you! Big Dan and I are doing the best we can. If you’re that hungry or thirsty, go on down the street to Jack’s so called saloon and drink his watered down whiskey. But, if you want real food and real whiskey, then you best be patient." All that were present heeded Shelby’s advice and warning. None of them wanted watered down whiskey at double the price. Besides, Jack Wolf didn’t serve food at his ‘hotel’, but ‘companionship’, which has its benefits, but not in the middle of the day when a man is hungry.

A sudden hush came over "Shelby’s Saloon", a rare occurrence indeed, but the unexpected appearance of Maurice Devereaux took everyone by surprise, especially Shelby. For once she was speechless. Big Dan, surprised at the sudden hush in the saloon turned to see a man he never thought he would see again, a man who was his friend.

Big Dan’s massive stride had him to the door in 4 steps. Not caring what anyone thought, Big Dan grabbed Frenchy in a bear hug that would make a grizzly envious. "Frenchy, I can’t believe you are here! I missed you. In fact the whole town has." Turning to Shelby and the patrons in the saloon, Dan’s voice boomed, "Right folks! Now I suggest that we give this fine gentleman a proper welcome with a round of applause and triple round of whiskey – on the house, Shelby!" Dan’s words, triple rounds of whiskey on the house revived Shelby’s tongue. "Now hold on Dan, I’m as happy as anyone to see Frenchy, but free whiskey? Frenchy ain’t that iimportant!" Unable to maintain her composure, Shelby smiled at her old and very familiar friend and winked. "Just kidding Frenchy. Okay boys, you heard Big Dan. Let’s hear it for Frenchy and then you come up here and get your own whiskey. I ain’t serving you this whiskey if I’m just giving it away. Alright, let’s go. Three cheers for Frenchy!"

Shelby joined Big Dan and Frenchy, who were still in the saloon’s doorway. In typical French style, Maurice took Shelby’s hand, kissed it and bowed in honor of this lady. "Shelby, you are as lovely as ever. I see your business is doing well, and I’ve met your so called competition down the street." Reference to Jack Wolf’s name in Shelby’s Saloon was considered fighting words and Big Dan and Shelby both reared up. Big Dan has a gentle spirit to all folks, with the exception of Jack Wolf. Big Dan’s eyes blazed with fire as he shared his opinion of the arrogant newcomer in town with Frenchy. When angered or protecting a friend, Big Dan can indeed become a charging grizzly, and the vivid language and detail he spoke of Jack Wolf confirmed Frenchy’s opinion.

The saloon has quieted down as the men settled back into their drinking and gambling. Their stomachs were still empty, but none of them were about to complain to Shelby, especially while being treated to free 100% whiskey.

Big Dan reached behind the bar, pulled out a bottle of Shelby’s finest stock and motioned to a table in the far corner of the room where he and Maurice could privately talk. Once seated and drinks in hand, the two old friends took a few seconds reminiscing on the days before Frenchy left town. Frenchy was the first to speak. "Dan, I want to apologize to you." Surprised at his friend’s humility, Dan replied, "You don’t have nothing to say you’re sorry to me for, Frenchy. You ain’t done nothing wrong." "Yes, my friend, I do", Frenchy quietly continued, "When you worked for me, I thought of you as my body guard and livery stable man, and didn’t honor you with respect as I should have. You were always loyal to me, my friend, and all I ever did was put you down. Truth is, I thought I was better than you. But I was wrong, Dan. A man’s character is not determined by their appearance, and let’s face it Dan, you are unique! Maybe that’s why I always felt so safe with you around. Seriously, Dan, you are a true gentleman and the best friend I’ve ever had. Something was missing in New Orleans and I finally figured out what it was…you, my friend. Unaccustomed to Frenchy’s sensitivity and overcome with joy at his friend being back in town, developed a lump in Dan’s throat and tears threatened to fill his eyes. Frenchy continued, "Dan, I am going to boot that so called owner of the town’s livery out on his, as Shelby would say, ‘behind’. Devereaux’ Livery was one of the most successful in this territory and I intend to resurrect it once again in Eagle Station."

Visions of Jack being tossed out on his behind brought a smile and comment from Big Dan. "Frenchy, maybe it would be more effective if I was the one to throw this weasel out of your livery business and will personally tear down that fancy sign Jack put up. Rumor has it that someone busted down the doors of the livery when Jack refused to serve a customer on a mission to save a drowning horse." Dan’s strong right hand locked with Frenchy’s, "Frenchy, I would be honored to work for you again as your body guard and livery hand. After you left, running the business wasn’t fun anymore. It just wasn’t the same without you, Frenchy and, well, I just wasn’t happy. I couldn’t sell the business, since it was yours, but I could rent it. Jack Wolf made his grand appearance in town about then and paid me six months rent in advance. I worked for him for a while, but his manner of doing business, just ain’t right. I don’t believe in cheating honest folks to make money, so one day, I walked out. Jack hired two employees to run the business after I quit and Frenchy, guess who they were." Frenchy’s forehead creased in deep thought, but he didn’t have a clue, and anxiously asked Dan to enlighten him, "Adam and Hoss Cartwright." Maurice was in shock, "no – no, not those two innocent boys of Ben’s. I’m surprised Ben allowed them to work off the ranch. " Dan shrugged, "You know how Ben’s feels about teaching his boys to learn and decide things for themselves? Well, he knew what lesson those boys had to learn from Mr. Wolf and didn’t stand in their way. Jack’s weekly wages to Adam and Hoss were $25.00 each. Didn’t take long for those decent boys to see right through Jack Wolf. They quit the day the stage line made its grand appearance in town. Two of the passengers are under contract to Mr. Wolf. They provide the companionship Mr. Wolf is always advertising. One of the girls, a pretty little red head hates working for Jack and is trying to give up that ‘profession’". Recognizing the look of a man smitten, Frenchy winked and asked, "Dan, why do I get the feeling that this pretty red headed lady provides companionship, free of charge, to you." Even big men are capable of blushing and Big Dan is certainly no exception. "Well, she provides more than companionship, Frenchy. Truth is, I love her and she loves me. Imagine that. A pretty, delicate little lady like Susanne loving a backwoods grizzly bear like me. Susanne is under contract one more month with that lousy weasel, then she and I are planning to get married. No one else in town knows this, Frenchy, other than Ben Cartwright, but I know I can trust you. In fact, would you be that fellow that stands up with the groom, I don’t know what that word is." "Best man, Dan – and I’d be honored." Once again the two old friends exchanged their gentlemen’s agreement with a firm, but affectionate handshake. Making the most of this opportunity of private time with Big Dan, Frenchy made a proposal himself.

"Dan, as a husband, you’ll need to make more money than the chicken feed I was paying you when I left. I’m not just going to increase your salary, I’d like to make you my partner in the livery business, and a few opportunities I plan to introduce to Eagle Station. Unlike Jack Wolf’s businesses of course." Did Dan hear Frenchy right? "Me and you, partners, Frenchy? I don’t know what to say. Are you sure I’m smart enough? I don’t want to hurt the business for you Frenchy." Shaking is head in honor of this gentle giant, "Dan, my business was and will again be successful because of you. How about, friend, you and I going down the street and let folks in town know there is a new livery company in town, Devereaux & Larsen Livery. As an equal partner in the livery, you can have the honor of vacating Mr. Wolf and his style of business any way you see fit."

A month has passed since Maurice Devereaux returned to Eagle Station. Jack Wolf was indeed evicted from the livery he had rented from Big Dan during Frenchy’s absence. Jack tried to fight the litigation by offering free "companionship" to Judge Rodgers in Hang Town. Jack not only lost his case on the livery and lawsuit to keep Susanne under contract, he was also fined $100.00 for contempt by trying to bribe a Circuit Court Judge. "Devereaux – Larsen Livery" is once again the most successful and honorable liveries in the west. Plans are also being discussed between Devereaux – Larsen Enterprises to open the new businesses Frenchy discovered in New Orleans. Yes, Frenchy is glad to be home and happy to see his dear friend, Dan Larsen receive the special things in life he deserved, the most important, being, true love in a beautiful lady.

Ben Cartwright, the boys and Hopsing threw a wedding celebration at The Ponderosa for Dan and Susanne in grace and style. The town hall was not big enough for all the guests who gathered to watch the marriage of this grizzly sized mountain man and the pretty lady he loved. Shelby, clad in a dress, stood next to Susanne and it was Maurice who served as Big Dan’s right hand man. As chairman of Eagle Station’s Town Council, Ben Cartwright had the honor of uniting Dan Larsen and Susanne Blue in holy matrimony. There was not a dry eye on the Ponderosa as Big Dan and Susanne joined their lips together as Ben pronounced them husband and wife. Wiping tears from his own eyes, Ben spoke these words, "Ladies and Gentlemen, it gives me great honor to introduce to you for the first time, Mr. & Mrs. Dan Larsen." A cheer went up that shook snow from the mountains at Ben’s introduction of the wedded couple. With his right hand raised, Ben proposed a toast to Dan and Susanne. The guests did the same, enjoying Shelby’s gift of 100% whiskey. Ben even let Adam and Hoss have a shot. Little Joe had to stick with lemonade, but that was okay. He was too happy for the new couple and the delicious feast Hopsing had prepared.

Hand in hand, Dan & Susanne Larsen walked down to the Ponderosa Pond to spend a moment together. Tears in his eyes, these words came from Dan’s heart. "Susanne Blue Larsen, what’s a pretty, honorable lady like yourself doing married to an old grizzly bear like me." Susanne’s heart beat as one now with Dan’s, and her reply came from the depths of her soul. "Big Dan Larsen you loved me when I didn’t love myself. God has given you a special gift, Dan. That gift is the ability to love and see the beauty in life others cannot. There was a time when I thought God could never love me for the person I’d become. Then I met you. I’ve not only received unconditional love and a husband, I have also received the gift of love from God." Tears freely flowed as Dan & Susanne Larson embraced in love for each other and thanked God for bringing them together. A drop of rain fell on the couple and they looked up and smiled. God too was shedding a tear of joy for the grizzly mountain man and the pretty little lady in his arms – his wife. Mr. & Mrs. Dan Larsen looked up to heaven and together said these words from 1Corinthians 13:13. "And now these three remain, faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." No one knew the meaning of those words more than Dan & Susanne Larsen.