Demons of the Past

By Hope

 

Although this is a Ponderosa story, I based it on some facts, incidents and characters from the Bonanza episodes Elizabeth My Love and Inger My Love. I hope the writers don't mind me continuing their themes, (and I'd like to thank them).

Special thanks to Kierin for her endless patience & editing help (and posting this on the Angelfire Tales site), to Becky for her great advice & input, and to good ol' Slim who's always there when I need him. Thanks also go out to David Dortort for creating those wonderful Cartwrights and letting me borrow them for my stories. As always I want to thank Matt, Danny, Drew and Jared for their terrific portrayals of the Cartwrights which I try to capture in my tales. The usual disclaimers apply. Rated PG

 

 

On the surface it appeared to be a typical family dinner.

Adam sat at the table with the others, seemingly engrossed in his meal. In actuality he was agonizing over whether he'd been lied to all his life.

The man sitting to the left of him at the head of the table was his father.

Or was he?

Adam poked at some stew on his plate as he considered this.

The overgrown boy devouring his food across from Adam and the smaller boy next to him with just a hint of devilment in his eyes were his younger brothers.

Or were they?

Adam took a few sips of water and set the glass down as he glanced at them. He felt the knot deep in the pit of his stomach tighten.

The food in front of him had long ago lost its appeal. Adam rose from his chair muttering, "Excuse me."

The other three at the table and their Chinese cook looked over at him.

Ben Cartwright asked, "What is it, Adam?"

His son was desperate to confide in him yet terrified of what he might learn. "Nothing. I just need some air." He moved away from the table, grabbed his hat and coat then went outside.

The others watched him leave and exchanged glances.

"What's wrong with Adam, Pa?" the youngest son, Joe, asked.

"I don't know." Ben's eyes stayed focused on the door that his son had just closed.

"He ain't been right all day, Pa. Ever since he got back from town," Ben's middle son, Hoss, advised.

Hop Sing added, "Yes. Something is troubling oldest son."

Ben looked around the table at the three faces that seemed to be in agreement. He pushed his plate back a little and got up. "I'll be right back."

The others watched as he too went outside and closed the door behind him.

************

The once-brilliant reddish sunset had faded to shades of pink by the time Ben Cartwright stepped outside.

"Adam?"

He glanced around and saw his oldest son leaning against the top rail of the corral, looking out at the horses. Adam didn't turn around when his father called his name. He kept his attention focused on the stock.

Ben walked the short distance between the house and the corral. "Is something wrong, Son?"

"No."

That was too quick, thought the older man. He moved a little closer to Adam and leaned against the top rail. "How did things go in town today?"

"Fine."

Again too quick, Ben reasoned. Something was definitely wrong.

"Did anything happen while I was in Sacramento? We haven't had much of a chance to talk since I've been back."

"Nothing happened."

Ben took a deep breath and released it slowly. "Adam?"

Adam looked over at him and asked without emotion, "What?"

Pa studied him for a few moments. "I've known you all your life. And I know when you're upset about something."

His son once more focused on the horses and didn't answer.

"Son?"

Adam looked at him, muttered, "I’m going to feed the stock," and headed off toward the barn. His puzzled father watched him walk away.

************

Adam brushed down his horse, Beauty, for what could've been the tenth time, but Adam didn't know or care. His thoughts were in another place, another time.

Those four fateful words kept coming back to him.

"He's not your father."

Adam had a stricken look on his face as the words ate away at him. He brushed Beauty's coat a little harder.

The words were ludicrous from the outset. But was there the slightest chance they could be true?

A stranger had taken up residence in town - a man of substantial means. Mandible was his name. Adam had seen him a few times but had never met him. The man seemed to be delighted to meet Adam that afternoon and made a point of introducing himself when Adam was coming out of the Trading Post. Adam was quite pleased to learn the man had come from Boston, and he was anxious to speak with him more about his birthplace. But he was late catching up with his brothers at the end of town and had to excuse himself.

As he was leaving, the man caught hold of his arm, gently, and seemed to be genuinely concerned as he asked, "He's told you, hasn't he?"

Adam frowned in confusion. "Who? Told me what?"

Mandible released his arm. "Ben Cartwright. Surely he hasn't kept this from you all these years."

Adam shrugged, curious yet somewhat leery. "I don't understand. You know my father?"

"I know Ben Cartwright. Knew him years ago in Boston."

Adam was taken aback. "I don't think he's ever mentioned you."

"No matter." He looked into Adam's eyes as if searching his soul. "I see he hasn't told you." He adjusted his hat and prepared to walk on. "Well, I must be going. So nice to have met you, Adam." He started to turn away.

"Wait! Told me what?"

The man turned back toward him, considering whether or not to answer. There were people walking by and this seemed to disturb the man. He went over to the side of the porch and motioned with a slight jerk of the head for Adam to join him.

Adam followed a little warily. "My father hasn't told me what?"

Mandible scrutinized him momentarily as if trying to decide if he should proceed. Finally, he stated plainly, "He's not your father, Adam."

He squeezed the younger man's shoulder in a gesture of concern then walked across the street.

Adam Cartwright stood there - stunned.

************

Adam was brought out of his reverie by Little Joe's voice. "Adam!"

"Huh? - What?"

"I've been tryin' ta talk ta ya."

"Oh, I'm sorry. What is it, Little Joe?"

"When ya comin' in? Ya promised ta read the story about Robin Hood again."

Adam absently fingered Beauty's mane. Again he became lost in his thoughts. Little Joe was getting perturbed. "Adam!"

Once more brought back to the present, Adam looked over at him. "What did you say?"

"Aw, nothin'. Stay out here all night if ya want!" Dejectedly, he turned to leave.

Adam watched him go. Normally sensitive to his brothers' needs, he felt guilty about letting Little Joe down. But something was compelling him to ride to town. After thinking it over a while longer, Adam set the brush down and reached for Beauty's bridle.

************

Later that night, Adam rode his horse into the town of Eagle Station. The street lamps were lit in front of Shelby's saloon, Jack Wolf's hotel, and a few other establishments.

Adam rode slowly down the semi-darkened street. He could hear laughter emanating from the saloon and the hotel. There were patrons coming and going from both establishments, and some were out on the balcony of the hotel, chatting, drinking, and having a grand time.

Adam considered going to Shelby's for a drink. The last time he had tried to get one, when the woman he loved, Isabella, was getting ready to leave town, Shelby had given the oldest Cartwright boy a hard time. He had reminded her he was of age, but Shelby, playing mother hen, had refused to serve him any liquor. Well, if he wanted a drink tonight, no one was going to refuse him. He had already made his mind up about that.

But first he needed to see Mandible.

The lights were still on at Mandible's building. The man had set up a freight-hauling business in town, and it was doing fairly well for being in a small town.

Adam dismounted, tied the reins to the hitching post, and went to the door.

Knocking twice, Adam didn't wait for an invitation. He walked in and saw Mandible seated behind a big, expensive desk, smoking on a pipe, and reading some papers. The man glanced up to see Adam walk in and immediately rose from his chair. "Adam! How good to see you again."

Adam closed the door behind him, took off his hat, but remained by the door. "Hello, Mr. Mandible."

"David, please. Come. Make yourself comfortable." He indicated a leather chair in front of the desk as he sat down.

Hesitantly, Adam walked over, sat down while still holding his hat, and waited for the man to say something. The man seated before him was middle-aged, fairly good looking, well-dressed, had dark wavy hair, and had a confident air about himself.

Mandible was aware his guest was waiting for him to make a move. He let the young man stew just a few moments before asking, "So, what brings you to town tonight, Adam?"

"I think you know."

The man let out a leisurely and long breath. "Ah. I see." He re-lit the pipe and took a few long puffs on it as he leaned back in his chair.

Adam toyed roughly with the brim of his hat as he watched Mandible.

"I'm sorry if I upset you today, Adam. I shouldn't have been the one to tell you."

"It isn't true."

The man tapped his pipe lightly against the desk. "Let's just forget the discussion ever took place, shall we?"

Adam dropped the hat on the desk and answered acidly, "I can't forget it."

"All right." Mandible scrutinized the pipe in his hands. "Then what is it you want from me?"

"I want you to tell me why you said that."

The man chewed on the tip of his pipe and once more leaned back in his chair. "Why don't you talk to Ben Cartwright about this?

Adam answered calmly while masking a burgeoning fear, "I would never ask him something so absurd."

The man ventured, "Afraid of what you might learn?"

Adam started to reply, but held back. He searched the man's face for some kind of clue to his intentions.

Mandible appeared to be sincere as he uttered, "I'm sorry, Adam."

Adam got up from his chair, slapped his hat on his head, and started for the door. He hesitated for a moment and turned back. "You tell me the man I've thought was my father all my life isn't really my father - and all you have to say to me is you're sorry?"

Mandible set his pipe aside and stood up. "I felt you deserved to be told the truth. But yes, I'm very sorry I've hurt you."

Adam spat, "What truth are you talking about?"

The man came around the desk and over a little closer to Adam. He looked Adam straight in the eye as he answered, "Elizabeth Stoddard Cartwright was your mother..."

Adam waited anxiously and somewhat fearfully for him to continue. But the man knew how to draw out the suspense. After a few moments, he shook his head. "No. Your father needs to be the one."

Adam grabbed his arm. "Tell me! Now!"

The man eased himself out of Adam's grasp. Adam backed off slightly. Mandible walked over to a bookcase full of books and a few model clipper ships. As he fingered one of the ships, he asked, "Did your father ever tell you he went away for long periods of time to go out to sea with your grandfather?"

Adam's patience had worn thin. "Yes. What's that got to do with anything?"

The man handled another ship as he turned away from Adam. "That's very hard on loved ones left behind. A deep loneliness settles in the heart until one can hardly bear it any longer."

Adam came over to him. "Get to the point."

"Your mother was seeing Ben Cartwright anytime your grandfather and he happened to be in port. But they didn't marry until he retired from the sea. Isn't that true?"

"Yes. So?"

Mandible turned toward him. "Before Ben Cartwright returned from the sea for the last time, someone came into Elizabeth's life who temporarily eased the loneliness."

He said it simply, but his eyes held a deeper meaning.

It took a few moments before Adam realized the full implication of that statement. When it finally hit him, Adam's rage swelled and he smashed his fist across the other man's jaw!

Mandible fell to the floor, stunned and hurting, but still conscious. Adam stared at the fallen man, in shock from both the man's words and his own actions. As the other man began to rise slowly, Adam turned and headed for the door.

Mandible called out as Adam gripped the door's handle, "Adam, I know you're upset..." Adam paused to catch the man's final words, though still facing the door.

"...but I'm here to answer your questions - whenever you're ready for the answers."

Adam gripped the handle hard and yanked the door open. He quickly left the building.

************

Adam didn't want to see anyone else that night. What he did want was a stiff drink but that would mean facing people in the saloon and right now he wasn't up to it. He untied the reins from the hitching post, jumped on Beauty and tore off down the street. He didn't know where he was going. And he didn't care.

An hour later, he pulled up by a small stream. Beauty bent her head down to drink as Adam dismounted. The young man took a long, slow breath trying to calm himself as he listened to crickets softly chirping nearby and the gentle flow of the water.

Could Mandible be right?

His heart told him the man was a liar.

The rest of him wasn't quite sure.

Could Mandible be right?

Adam knew he had been born premature. His father had told him his mother had a difficult pregnancy and was confined to her bed for a period of time. It was at the beginning of the eighth month that the troubles began and shortly thereafter Adam had been born. But what if that wasn't exactly true? What if he had been born eight months after his parents married but actually nine months after his mother and someone else...?

"No! It's not true!"

Beauty jerked her head up as her master cried those words out. She looked over at him then went back to drinking. Adam meandered a short distance away.

Adam had always prided himself on his logical mind. If ever he needed his reasoning and powers of deduction, he was desperately relying on them now.

He sat on the edge of a boulder as he looked absently over at his horse.

And suddenly he recalled the music box.

His mother's music box had always held a sort of fascination for Adam. His father had given it to Elizabeth and had kept it safe over the years after she died. But Adam hadn't been allowed to touch it when he was young. In fact, Ben Cartwright had gotten quite angry when, as a boy, Adam had tried several times to listen to it. His father's reaction had hurt Adam deep inside, but he never admitted it. Even today, the music box was a thing of awe to him.

His father kept it in his room and asked his sons never to touch it for fear of something happening to the treasured keepsake. But Adam still felt hurt even now that his father would keep the one link he had to his mother at a distance from him.

Could it be Ben Cartwright begrudged another man's son from having it?

"No!" Adam cried out again. "It's not true! It's not - true!"

He ran his fingers roughly through his hair and looked to the heavens as he fought the emotional demons of his past.

************

Adam came into the house after midnight. He tried to be quiet as he closed the door. He noticed the fire in the fireplace was still burning and looked over to see that he wasn't alone.

Ben Cartwright rose the moment he heard the door open. And he waited for an explanation.

But Adam was in no mood to explain anything. He headed toward his bedroom.

Ben said quietly, "Stop." He came over to his son.

Adam closed his eyes for a moment, dreading any sort of confrontation.

"Adam, where've you been?"

"Out riding."

"I know. Where?"

"I'm tired. Can't this wait?"

"No. Come over by the fireplace," his father said sternly as he headed back over there.

Adam closed his eyes again for a few seconds. He sighed knowing he couldn't avoid the inevitable and walked over toward the settee.

His father sat there and motioned for Adam to take a chair.

"Adam, I want to know what's going on."

Adam was hesitant but sat down. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"No."

"Well, something's bothering you. What is it?"

Adam stared off into the fire.

"Adam?"

Adam continued to stare at the fire. Finally he asked solemnly, "Pa, why can't I have the music box?"

Ben was caught off guard. "What?"

"The music box. My mother's music box. Why can't I have it?"

His father was mystified. "Why would you ask that now?"

Adam turned toward him. "Why don't you answer me?"

Ben was obviously trying to comprehend what this had to do with anything. "Well, Adam, it belongs to me - and you, too, of course."

"If I asked you, would you give it to me?"

"Why is this so important right now? It's the middle of the night, and I want to know why my son has been out so late and where he's been. But you're asking me about a music box."

"My mother's music box."

"I'm aware of that. It also happens to be my wife's music box."

The knot in Adam's stomach was twisting once more. Could it be true? He stood up. "I'm going to bed. I can't deal with this right now."

Adam walked over to his bedroom door as his father watched him go.

Ben was totally perplexed and worried, and yes a bit angry, too. But the hour was late and he was apparently not going to get anywhere with his oldest son tonight.

After banking the fire and with a heavy heart, Ben Cartwright went to bed.

************

The next morning, Ben poked his head in the boys' bedroom and looked around. Little Joe and Hoss were getting dressed but Adam was nowhere in sight.

"Where's your brother?"

Little Joe shrugged. "Ain't seen him, Pa."

"Me neither," Hoss added.

"Well, hurry up. Hop Sing has breakfast ready."

Ben closed the door and glanced over at the table where Hop Sing was setting food out. "Hop Sing, have you seen Adam?"

The cook shook his head and looked inquiringly at Ben.

Ben headed outside, grabbing his hat and coat on the way.

************

Ben surveyed the barn and noted Adam's horse was gone, along with the horse's saddle and bridle. Ben wasn't surprised considering the way his son had acted the night before. But why? What was going on? And more to the point, was he in some sort of trouble?

Ben retrieved his own horse's saddle and bridle and prepared to go find his oldest son.

************

Mandible's place wasn't open yet so Adam leaned against a nearby post and waited. The town was just waking up. There were a few people riding by on horseback and just a few people walking around, but otherwise the townsfolk were still preparing to begin the day.

Adam's yesterday had never really ended. He couldn't sleep after his confrontation with his father that night, and also because he still had Mandible's words preying on his mind. Finally giving up any hope of getting some rest, he had saddled Beauty and taken off. It was a couple hours before dawn so he just rode with no clear destination for quite a while. At last he pulled Beauty up and they rested just outside of town until the sun eventually broke over the horizon.

"Good morning, Adam."

Adam had been studying one side of the street while Mandible appeared from the other direction. Adam hesitantly answered, "Mornin'."

"I haven't had breakfast as yet. Come. Join me over at Miss Starrett's saloon for some ham and eggs."

"Uh - I'm not really..."

Mandible interrupted him, "You've not eaten yet, have you?"

"No."

The man clapped Adam on the back. "Come on. Man's gotta eat."

He gently prodded Adam down the street. Reluctantly, the younger man went along.

************

Shelby looked a little worse for wear, having been up late as usual the night before. There were a few patrons having breakfast as she delivered a plate with ham, eggs, and bread to Mr. Mandible. "Ya sure ya just want coffee, Adam?" she asked.

Adam merely nodded and lifted the half-full cup to his lips.

"Suit yerself," she said, shrugged, and went over to wait on her other customers.

Mandible dove into his food. "So tell me, Adam. What can I do for you today?"

Adam studied the man as he set his cup down. He made sure Shelby was well out of hearing range. "What are you doing in this town?"

"I have quite a promising business started. You know that."

"Of all the towns in the country why did you pick this one?"

Mandible buttered his bread as he replied. "I was heading back East from San Francisco and chanced upon this growing little hamlet of yours."

Adam's eyes narrowed skeptically. "Chanced upon it?"

"Well, not entirely." Mandible held the bread to his lips and right before taking a bite uttered candidly, "I've kept up with you over the years."

Perplexed, Adam listened as the man continued.

"I did know where you were living, but I hadn't planned on more than a brief visit at some point."

"Why?"

"Why? Why did I plan a visit?"

"Why have you kept up with me?"

Mandible cut off a piece of ham, stabbed it with his fork, and raised the fork to his lips. "Because you're important to me, Adam." He took the forkful and chewed as he watched the young man's face.

Shelby stopped by to pour more coffee. Adam didn't look up at her. Shelby was curious but took the hint and moved on.

"How do you know anything about my mother?"

Mandible set the fork down, put his napkin briefly to his lips, and set that aside also. Then he clasped his hands together while resting his elbows on the table and looked directly at Adam.

"You're an adult, Adam. I think you know the answer to that."

Adam stared at him and instantly caught his meaning. He muttered softly, "No."

"It's true."

"No," Adam again stated, this time more forcefully. "She wasn't like that."

"Elizabeth was a wonderful, kind lady and you're right - she wasn't like that. But one day, desperately lonely and afraid, she sought comfort in my arms."

"No!" This time Adam shouted the word, and Shelby and the others in the saloon looked in his direction. Adam got up, knocking into the table and sending coffee spilling over the rims of the cups. "You're lying!"

Mandible watched him calmly.

Shelby headed over. "What's wrong, Adam?"

Adam ignored her and again challenged Mandible. "You're lying!"

Shelby reached for Adam's arm, but he knocked her hand away.

"Stay out of this, Shelby!"

"Adam..." she tried.

Mandible interrupted. "It's all right, Miss Starrett." He rose from his chair. "I was just leaving." The man placed some coins on the table and began to move away.

Adam glared at him as Shelby watched, concerned.

Mandible stopped momentarily to say, "Adam, I’m sorry I've upset you." Then he left.

Shelby glared at the other patrons in the saloon. "Ain't ya all got better things ta do than mind other people's business?"

The others in the room redirected their attention elsewhere in deference to Shelby's words. Shelby grabbed Adam's arm and steered him over to the other side of the room. Adam wanted to pull out of her grasp, but she held firm and gave him a look that everyone in Eagle Station knew meant business. Unsure of where else to go now anyway, Adam gave in and allowed Shelby to lead him toward the bar.

Shelby went behind the counter and reached for two glasses. "What's yer pleasure?"

Adam leaned against the bar and said defiantly, "Whiskey."

Shelby was only mildly surprised. She had a hunch he was going to say that after the scene she had just witnessed. "All right, Adam."

Adam was shocked that she would give in so easily, but he didn't let on. He watched as she pulled a bottle out from under the bar, uncorked it, and half-filled the glasses.

Shoving one glass Adam's way she said, "Here." She grinned and half-whispered, "Don't mention this to your pa."

Adam reached for the glass, ignoring Shelby's afterthought. He held the drink as if contemplating whether to continue.

Shelby tapped her glass to his. "Here's to whatever."

Adam returned the tap and downed his first swallow of whiskey. It went down hard, and he winced slightly.

Shelby grinned faintly as she saw Adam's reaction but recovered quickly so he wouldn't take notice.

Adam felt a warmth growing from the liquor and downed more of his drink, wincing again. He muttered, "Thanks," and set the glass down.

"Well, ya want ta talk about it?"

Adam stared at the glass. "No."

"Want me ta shoot him fer ya?"

Adam looked quickly at her then saw the grin on her face. He snorted a little. "Not yet."

Shelby chuckled then downed the remainder of her drink. "Well, I offered." She put the bottle away as Adam raised his eyebrows.

"That's all the liquor yer gettin', my friend." She winked as she added, "I don't want Ben Cartwright to come gunnin' fer me!

Adam laughed.

Shelby added sincerely, "Anytime ya wanna talk, Adam, ya know where ta find me."

Adam nodded once and smiled at her. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it. Well, guess I better go wait on some of them other fellers." She clasped his arm briefly and said gently, "I meant what I said, Adam."

Adam nodded again and watched her move off.

************

Ben Cartwright arrived in town a few hours later in search of his oldest son. He didn't spot Beauty's reddish coat anywhere, but he dismounted in order to inquire around.

He walked into the Trading Post and spotted his friend, Eli Orowitz. "Mornin', Eli."

Mr. Orowitz was stocking the shelves. He stopped and turned toward him. "Ben it's good to see you. When did you get back?"

There weren't many patrons in the general store. Ruth, Eli's wife, was waiting on an elderly couple a short distance away.

Ben went over to help Eli put the stock up. "Two days ago. - Eli, have you seen Adam today?"

Eli thought for a moment. "No, I don't believe so."

Ben sighed and set some cans on the shelf.

Eli looked at this friend. "Is something wrong?"

Ben gave a slight shake of his head. "I'm not sure." He reached for some more cans, but Mr. Orowitz stopped him.

"What is it, Ben?"

He let out a long, slow breath before answering. "I don't know. Something's bothering Adam, but he won't confide in me."

"Ah. I see."

"I should know Adam better than to expect him to tell me anything."

Eli smiled. "Yes. Your oldest son can be quite an enigma."

Ben chuckled slightly. "I guess I'll never get used to it."

Mr. Orowitz chuckled also.

"Well, I'll see you later, Eli."

"Good luck, Ben."

Ben lifted his hand in parting and left the store.

************

What kind of game was Mandible playing, Adam asked himself. He was leaning against a wall in the alley which was across the street from Mandible's freight-hauling business.

If it wasn't a game, had he come here to claim his son? Adam frowned as he considered that possibility.

Mandible seemed to be doing a brisk business today. He had several employees who worked in the office, along with a number of wagons commissioned to haul freight in and out of Eagle Station and to various points around the territory. But even though Mandible appeared to be running a fairly lucrative company, Adam felt the man's freight-hauling business would be much more successful in a larger town. What was he doing in Eagle Station?

Adam turned and walked slowly up the street, pondering that question and others.

What could the man want with him - unless of course Adam was truly his son? The idea was totally unimaginable. It just couldn't be true.

"Adam!"

Adam was brought out of his thoughts upon hearing his father's voice. My father, he thought to himself. The meaning had changed overnight.

Mandible, on the other side of the street, had been going over manifests with one of his employees when he heard Adam's name being called. He looked out to see a man close to his own age hurrying toward Adam Cartwright. It had been quite some time, so Mandible wanted to be sure. He asked his employee casually, "Is that Ben Cartwright?"

The other man, slightly older than Mandible, looked over to where his employer's attention was focused and squinted. "Yep. That's him."

Mandible handed the man the papers they had been going over. "Here. Take these inside and finish up."

"Yes, Sir." The man headed into the building as Mandible stood unobtrusively on the porch and watched the exchange from a short distance away.

Adam waited for his father to catch up, dreading what was to come.

Ben noted Adam's slightly unkempt appearance. His son hadn't even bothered to shave or comb his hair that morning. "Adam, I want to talk to you."

Adam just stood there, anticipating a lecture.

"Let's go home, Son. We can talk there."

Adam hoped he hadn't flinched at the word "Son."

"I'm not ready," he answered firmly.

Mandible continued to observe from a distance.

Ben knew his son's temper, and he was well acquainted with his own. Now wasn't the time to test those waters. He calmly responded, "Please, Adam. We need to get back to the ranch."

People passed by, some on horseback, some riding in wagons. Adam absently watched the townspeople go about their business as he told him, "I'll be home later."

Ben laid his arm on Adam's shoulder. "Adam, the ranch won't run by itself. Let's go. All right?"

Adam jerked away. "No!" He began to walk off.

Ben was running out of patience with his oldest son. He noted the stares of people in the immediate vicinity but ignored them as he caught up to Adam. "Son, I'm telling you to get home. Now!"

Defiant, Adam kept on walking.

Ben grabbed his arm, yanked him to a halt, and asked angrily, "Did you hear what I said?"

His son tried to pull away, but Ben held fast.

Adam's eyes betrayed him as he calmly stated, "All I am to you is someone to help keep your ranch running."

His shocked father eased his hold, and Adam pulled his arm free. With one last look at the man who had raised him, Adam turned and walked away.

Mandible, still observing from the distance, had the faintest smile on his face as he turned to go inside his building.

Ben was left standing in the street, devastated by his son's words.

************

For the second time today a Cartwright was asking Shelby for a drink. But this was a different Cartwright - old Ben Cartwright himself! Shelby thought Hell had finally frozen over.

As she poured Ben a shot of whiskey, she glanced at the man. He looked almost as troubled as his oldest son had that morning. What in the world was going on?

"Here ya go, Ben."

Ben answered absently as he reached for the glass, "Thanks."

There were no other patrons in the bar at this time of day. The lunch crowd would start wandering in soon, though. Shelby helped herself to a shot of whiskey too and took a seat at Ben Cartwright's table.

"What's goin' on, Ben?"

Ben's thoughts were elsewhere; it took a moment for Shelby's words to register. "What did you say?"

"I said, what's going on?"

Ben tossed down some of his drink before answering, "What do you mean?"

"Well, first Adam comes in here all upset earlier this mornin'. Then you..."

Ben interrupted her. "What? Adam was here?"

"Ah told ya. This mornin'." Shelby was holding her glass and pointed with it as she added, "Him and Mandible were sittin' right over there..."

"Mandible?"

"Don’t tell me ya ain't met him yet. He's been in town fer weeks."

Ben tried to picture who he was. "No - I don't think so. But I was away in Sacramento for a few weeks."

"Oh, that's right." She took a quick gulp of whiskey and grimaced slightly. "Well, Adam sure knows him. They had one heck of an argument this mornin'."

Ben frowned. "What about?"

Shelby tried to recall. "I don't know. But Adam sure was angry."

Ben grabbed his hat off the table and reached into his pocket for a coin. Laying it down for Shelby he asked, "Where can I find Mandible?"

"Over at the new freight office, other side of town. He owns it."

Ben nodded once. "Thanks." He hurried out.

Shelby watched him go, then shook her head and mused, "Guess Little Joe will be wantin' a drink next." She snorted and cleared off the table.

************

The freckled-faced young boy found Adam leaning up against a tree just outside of town. The child looked excited to see him. "Adam!"

Adam had a long blade of grass between his teeth as he saw the boy hurry over. He removed it to call out, "Hey, Peter!"

The boy rushed up, out of breath. "Whew! Thought I'd never find ya!"

"You were looking for me?"

"Sure was! Man gave me a whole dime to find ya and give ya this!" He held out a small leather pouch.

Adam took the pouch, emptied its contents into his hand, and frowned upon finding an expensive-looking pocket watch.

He knew instantly that Mandible had sent it.

Adam mumbled, "Thanks, Peter," while keeping his attention focused on the watch.

"Sure, Adam. See ya!" The little boy scurried off.

Adam watched him go then returned his attention to the watch. What now? He summoned up the courage to open the cover.

The face was there. The same sweet face that adorned one of the picture frames in Pa's bedroom - Adam's mother.

Adam sank to the ground to a sitting position. Feeling like a ship foundering on a storm-tossed ocean and with no beacon to guide his way, Adam let the sea of despair engulf him.

************

Ben walked amongst the crates that were being unloaded from two wagons. Several men were doing the unloading as a well-dressed man stood off to the side with some documents and a pencil. Ben walked up to him. "Mandible?"

David Mandible saw who it was and smiled. "Ah, the great man himself."

Ben was a little unnerved that the man seemed to know him. "Excuse me?"

"Forgive me, Mr. Cartwright. Please wait a moment." He walked toward one of the wagons calling out, "Atkins!"

One of the men unloading the crates stopped and walked over to him, wiping his sweaty brow with his sleeve on the way. "Yeah, Mr. Mandible?"

His employer handed him the papers and pencil. "Finish this for me."

The man took the items. "Yes, Sir."

Mandible then turned toward Ben Cartwright. "Please come inside so we can sit down."

Ben was as wary of the man as his son had been the previous day but followed him in and closed the door behind him.

Removing his hat, Ben went over to the leather chair in front of the desk while Mandible sat behind it. As he took his chair, Ben asked, "How do you know who I am?"


Mandible leaned back. "Oh, I know quite a lot about you."

Ben was curious but waited for the man to continue.

The other man reached for a wooden box on the desk and lifted the lid. Inside were a number of cigars. "Care for one?"

Ben declined.

Mandible closed the lid and once more leaned back.

Ben was growing impatient. "Well?"

The other man stated rather than asked, "You don't remember me."

Ben tried to recall seeing him before. "No. I don't think so. But your name sounds familiar."

The businessman half-smiled. "Haven't heard it for over twenty years, have you?"

Ben's eyebrows lifted in cautious curiosity.

The man further submitted, "My father was Thomas Mandible. Does that name sound familiar?"

Suddenly images of the past began to surface.

The other man continued, "He owned a rather flourishing ships chandler business along with a number of other businesses."

"Your father? Yes, I do seem to recall him now." Ben pictured the man, remembering him as being somewhat callous and greedy and having caused some trouble for his father-in-law, Abel Stoddard.

"I thought you might remember."

"You're his son?"

"Yes."

"I don't think I've ever met you."

The man got up and sauntered over to absently examine the clipper ships on the bookcase. "Well, that's not surprising. I was away at college most of the time. But at some point I did meet you and your charming wife." He turned back toward Cartwright. "Elizabeth, wasn't it?"

"Yes." Ben continued to be wary of the man.

"Ah yes, Elizabeth. She was quite lovely as I recall. You were a fortunate man."

Something about this exchange disturbed Ben.

Mandible smiled genially and asked, "Well, Mr. Cartwright. You wanted to see me about something?"

Ben got up and walked over to him. "I want to know what you and my son were arguing about in the saloon today."

The other man looked mildly surprised. "Oh, you've heard about that, have you?" He asked innocently, "Well, why don't you ask him?"

"Because I'm asking you."

"Oh, I see. Perhaps Adam has some difficulty confiding in his father."

That struck a nerve. Ben replied tersely, "That's none of your concern."

"My apologies, Sir. It was merely speculation on my part."

"Tell me about the argument."

Mandible went back over to his desk and picked up some papers that suddenly appeared to require his immediate attention. "Please forgive me, Mr. Cartwright, but I do have work to attend to. Perhaps we can continue this at another time."

The note of dismissal did not sit well with Ben Cartwright. He continued to watch the man as Mandible sat back down at his desk and flipped through some more papers as if searching for something. Ben could tell he wouldn't be getting anywhere with this man. He retrieved the hat he had set on the desk, muttered, "Good day," and left.

Mandible looked up after he had gone and said, slightly amused, "Good day to you - Ben."

************

The little boy had told Mandible where he had located Adam, so after Mandible's encounter with Ben Cartwright he headed in that direction.

Adam was still sitting by the tree oblivious to the world around him. He gave a start when he felt a hand gently on his shoulder.

Mandible saw the reaction and removed his hand. "I'm sorry, Adam. I didn't mean to startle you."

Adam stood up and quickly regained his composure. "What do you want?"

The man came around in front of him and scrutinized Adam. "I want to help you."

The young man gave a faint chuckle.

"I mean it. I know you're upset, but you need someone to confide in."

Adam said bitterly, "I don't need anyone - for anything."

"A bit melodramatic, wouldn't you say?"

Adam gave him a hostile look and began to move away.

"Wait. Just for a moment. Please?"

Adam hesitated. His tone was insolent as he asked, "Why?"

Mandible recalled the investigator's report on the young man standing before him. One description in the report was certainly justified - obstinate.

"Walk with me," the man requested. He started out and away from the area.

Adam watched him for a brief time, not wanting to comply, but at the same time, curious. Finally, his curiosity got the better of him. He caught up with the businessman and matched his stride.

Mandible was pleased and surveyed the area ahead as he remarked, "It's nice out here. Boston is nice, too, but out here there are so many open spaces a man could get lost."

There was a moment or two of uncomfortable silence before Adam responded with, "Yeah."

The man breathed in the fresh air. "Ah. The air's a little cleaner here, too."

Adam just shrugged.

Mandible glanced his way. "You've not been back East since you were born have you?" It was more a statement than a question.

Adam shook his head.

The other man once again glanced out at the land spreading before him as they wandered on. "I hear you're interested in college, Adam. Is this true?"

Adam looked over at him. "Who told you that?"

"I told you before, I've kept up with you over the years. I know quite a lot about you, young man."

Adam frowned as he considered that statement, but he kept walking.

"So, tell me. Which college are you planning to attend?"

Adam shrugged again. "I haven't decided. But it'll be one back East."

"Well, what do you think you'd like to study?"

Adam looked off into the distance as he pondered that question. "Maybe architecture."

"That's a good field to go into. Very lucrative."

Adam kicked at a small rock in his path. "Probably. But I want to come back here to the ranch after college."

"Ah. I see."

They walked for a while in silence. Adam had no idea how he felt about the man walking next to him. His feelings for the man and his father were all mixed up.

He kicked at another rock in his path.

The man finally broke the silence that had descended upon them. "I'll be going back to Boston shortly."

Adam was surprised at that statement and glanced over at the man. "What about your business?"

"I have subordinates who can handle it now. I was just here to get it set up and running properly. I have more pressing matters to attend to at home."

"Oh."

Mandible stopped as if suddenly struck with an idea. "Why don't you come with me?"

Adam abruptly halted. "What?"

"Yes, of course. How perfect! I'd have a traveling companion - these long trips get so tedious, you know. And you could go to the different colleges to see which one you'd like to attend someday."

"I - I couldn't. No."

"Of course you could. It would only be for a short time. You could return home right after."

Adam was intrigued, yet confused. "I, uh - no, it's just not possible."

"Why not, Lad? Think about it. I could show you where your mother used to live. By Jove, you could see the clipper ships your grandfather used to sail!"

How Adam had dreamed of going back there! And here at last was his chance! Who knew when such an opportunity would present itself again?

He was sorely tempted, but his instincts were advising caution.

"Well? What say you, Lad? Are you interested?"

On the verge of accepting the invitation, Adam's mood did an about-face, and he said testily, "Mr. Mandible, I can't be bought." He turned and took a step away.

Mandible reached out to gently stop him. "Adam, please. You have to start trusting people at some point in your life."

How did this man know him so well?

Unnerved, Adam wouldn't face him but stood there considering his words.

Mandible watched him while waiting patiently. Finally, he smiled and offered, "Tell you what, young man. You just think about it, all right? If you decide you'd like to go just let me know. The invitation will remain open."

His resolve weakening, Adam turned toward the man. "You know I don't believe you're my father."

"That's perfectly understandable. Tell you what. You won't even have to stay at my home while you're in Boston if you're not comfortable with that arrangement. I'm sure you can look up some relatives in the area - perhaps you have some cousins or others still around?"

This was an interesting possibility Adam hadn't considered. He said hesitantly, "I think there may be some."

"Splendid! All I ask is that you accompany me to Boston and give me the pleasure of showing you around. After that, you're on your own, if that's what you prefer. Or you can stay at my home until you're ready to return to the Ponderosa. My house is very large, and there's plenty of room. And I have an excellent cook." He added with a grin, "He's not Chinese but if you're homesick I'm sure he could whip up something with rice in it."

Adam chuckled slightly.

Mandible put his hand on Adam's shoulder. "I'll be off now, Adam. Take all the time you need. I won't make plans to return to Boston until I hear from you one way or the other. All right?"

Could he have misjudged this man?

"Thank you - David. I'll think about it and let you know."

Mandible smiled and extended his hand toward Adam. Adam returned the handshake as Mandible said, "Till next time."

Watching the man turn and walk back the way they had come, Adam tilted his hat back a little as he entertained the idea. Boston? Could it be possible?

For the first time in several days he actually smiled.

************

Adam should've been exhausted and hungry as he rode home. After all it had been two days since he had slept or had anything substantial to eat. But at the moment he was feeling pretty good. The future was showing some interesting possibilities, and Adam was starting to sense solid ground under his feet once more. The past few days had felt like being trapped in a pit of quicksand, but now someone was dangling a rope to pull him out.

The question was should Adam grasp it?

He rode Beauty home slowly not anxious to face the man who had raised him. Their last encounter had been very painful for both. Now Adam was riding home to tell his pa that he was taking off for several months with a stranger - a man who happened to be claiming to be his father. To say that wouldn't go over well was a monumental understatement.

Well, if this was Adam's choice, Pa would just have to accept it. Adam was a grown man and should be free to make his own decisions. But he knew in every fiber of his being that Ben Cartwright wouldn't see it that way.

************

"You what?!"

Adam had asked Joe and Hoss to go to the house when he got home and had learned Pa was inside the barn. His brothers were anxious to talk with him and ask him all sorts of questions, but Adam had practically pleaded with them for some time alone with their father. The boys at last gave in.

Now here he was face to face with his old man.

"Calm down, Pa."

"Calm down?"

Here it comes. Adam braced himself for the inevitable.

"Adam, you've been gone for two days! Look at you - you look terrible. Heaven only knows where you've been or what you've been doing. And now you tell me you're going off to Boston with Mandible? You hardly even know the man!"

Adam had made a point of not bringing up all the details - especially the paternity issue. The man would've exploded!

"This is an opportunity for me. Can't you see that?"

"An opportunity for what? Who knows what that man is up to!"

Adam was too tired for an argument. He tried patiently explaining, "Pa, he's going back to Boston, and he wants someone to travel with. That's all."

Ben plunged the pitchfork he had been using into the hay and moved closer to his son. "Adam, I don't trust the man. If you want to get to Boston, give me some time and I'll arrange it."

"You can't afford that, and we both know it. This could be my only chance."

"The answer's no!"

Adam started to respond but held back. Anger wouldn't accomplish anything at this point. He finally responded placidly, "Pa, if you're worried about the ranch, I promise to make it up to you when I get back. I'll work harder than three people."

"It isn't the ranch, Adam. It's you I'm concerned about."

Adam's temper was beginning to simmer. He fought hard to control it.

"If you were concerned about me, Pa, you'd realize how hard it is for me - being stuck out here in the middle of nowhere. There are hardly any books to read, only four other people to talk to most of the time, working from dawn till after dusk every day doing mindless chores."

Ben was aware of his son's growing unhappiness but hoped it hadn't gotten this bad. "I’m sorry, Adam. I wish I could give you more, but right now it just isn't possible."

"I know that. I understand. So please give me this chance to get away for a while."

"Adam, Mandible is up to something."

"How do you know that?"

"I've met the man. There's something about him."

Exasperated, Adam asked, "What?"

"I can't put my finger on it. It's just a feeling."

Adam snatched his hat off and slapped it against his thigh. He walked a short distance away and faced with his back to his father.

Desperately hoping to get through to him, Ben asked, "Adam, what were you and Mandible arguing about in the saloon?"

There was a long pause before Adam replied. "It isn't important."

Ben went around to stand in front of him. "Shelby said you were upset."

Adam shot back, "Shelby talks too much."

"What was the argument about, Son?"

"It doesn't matter."

Ben gripped both of his son's upper arms and searched deep into his eyes. "I want to know."

"Well, I'm not going to talk about it." Adam pulled out of Ben's grasp. "And I am going to Boston!"

He didn't stick around for his father's reply.

Left staring at the now-closed barn door, Ben picked up the nearest bucket and heaved it against a wall. He took no notice of the startled horses and angrily grabbed the pitchfork to resume his work.

************

Adam had his gear almost all packed by the time Ben Cartwright got to the house. Little Joe ran up as his father opened the front door. "Pa! Adam's leaving!"

Ben set his hat down, took time to remove his coat, and patted Little Joe on the back. "I know." He glanced over at the concerned look on Hop Sing's face. "Hop Sing, is dinner ready?"

The cook picked up on the subtle cue and busied himself in his work. "Soon."

Hoss was standing anxiously nearby. "Ya ain't gonna let him go, are ya, Pa?"

Brushing past his middle son and briefly laying a hand on his shoulder, he responded, "We'll see." He headed into the boys' room and closed the door behind him.

Adam finished packing while seeming oblivious to his father's presence.

"The stage for Boston leaving tomorrow?" Ben asked a little sarcastically.

"Nope. Gonna stay in town till it does."

"Jack's hotel, I presume? You might as well go all the way."

Adam ignored the innuendo and picked up his satchel. With a touch of detachment in his voice, Adam said, "See ya, Pa," and walked past the man.

When his son had almost reached the door Ben stated firmly, "Adam, if you go with Mandible against my wishes, I'm not sure I want you coming back."

Adam was about to reach for the door handle but hesitated for a moment.

Ben was hopeful that he had finally gotten through to his son.

A moment later, Ben found his hopes dashed as Adam proceeded on out.

************

Adam didn't stay in town, contrary to what he had told his father. Of course he wasn't going to stay at Jack's hotel. He couldn't tolerate the man and also didn't care to stay in the unsavory accommodations. Adam camped close to town by the small lake where his family had enjoyed many picnics.

He had made a snare and had caught a rabbit earlier. He'd devoured half of it a short while ago and the remainder of his meal still roasted over the campfire spit while Adam sat and stared at the picture in the pocket watch. His mother's face smiled back at him.

A horse whinnied softly and Adam turned at the sound, grabbing his rifle.

"Don't shoot, Adam!" Hoss called out.

Relaxing his hand off the weapon, Adam looked up to see his brothers walking out of the bushes. "What are you two doing here?"

Little Joe had mischief in his eyes. "We snuck out."

Hoss was eyeing the rabbit and sat nearby. "Yeah."

Joe sat near his oldest brother.

Adam smiled a little as he caught the look on Hoss's face. "Hungry?" he asked him.

"Sure am!"

"Go ahead."

Hoss eagerly attacked the rest of the meat as Adam and Little Joe exchanged a grin.

Adam watched both brothers as he asked, "How'd you get away without Pa seeing you?"

Little Joe still had the mischievous look on his face. "We told him we were gonna take care of the stock." He grinned as he added, "Jus' didn't tell him how long it was gonna take us."

Hoss nodded, smiling, as he stuffed his face.

Their brother advised, "Well, you better get back before he gets too mad."

Little Joe picked up a small stick and started drawing circles absently in the dirt. "Adam, come back with us?"

"I can't, Little Joe."

"Why can't ya?"

Adam's brow furrowed as he thought about it. "I have to go away for a while."

Hoss tossed a bone aside and licked his fingers. "How come?"

"I just do."

Little Joe kept his attention focused on his dirt designs but posed the question Adam had no answer for. "When ya comin' back?"

Adam looked at him then over at an inquiring Hoss. How he wished he could spare them another loss in their lives. He answered softly, "I don't know."

Little Joe's face grew sad. He got up and hesitantly turned to Adam with downcast eyes. His oldest brother reached out his arms, and Little Joe ran into them. As Adam closed his arms fiercely around his little brother, tears started to fall from Joe's eyes. "I don't want ya ta go, Adam."

Hoss got up and came over next to them. "I don't want ya ta go either, Adam. Please don't."

Things were already so difficult for him. Now this. Adam whispered, "I'm sorry," and released one of his arms around Joe to encourage Hoss to join them. He put the free arm around Hoss's shoulders as the three clung desperately to one another.

************

Two days later, Ben Cartwright was by the Trading Post loading his wagon, but keeping an eye on the stagecoach depot. The driver was loading satchels and other things on the top of the coach as the passengers waited to board. Among the four people waiting were David Mandible and Adam.

"Gonna jus' let him leave without sayin' goodbye?"

Shelby had come up from behind the wagon and walked over to Ben.

He ignored her and secured the back of the wagon.

"Cartwright, you two are about as mule-headed stubborn as any two people I've ever met!"

"Shelby, this is between Adam and me." He grabbed some rope to tie down the supplies.

"Both too pig-headed ta admit ya love each other."

"This doesn't concern you."

"Yeah, well, all I have ta say is yer makin' a big mistake."

She shook her head at his stubbornness and walked off.

Meanwhile, Adam glanced over by the Trading Post as he adjusted the tight collar on his Sunday-best duds.

Mandible was standing next to him. "Perhaps you'd like to say something to him, Adam?"

Adam watched as his pa focused on the tasks at the wagon and made a point of not looking toward the depot. "No. We've said all there is to say."

With a final glance toward the wagon, he stepped up into the coach. Mandible gazed in that direction one last time also and climbed aboard after him.

The man at the depot closed and secured the coach's door. The driver grabbed the reins, released the brake, and yelled, "H'yah!" The horses immediately took off at a brisk canter.

As the coach went past Ben's wagon, Adam, seated by a window on that side, stared straight ahead. He didn't catch the look on Ben's face as the man struggled deep within himself to keep from running after his foolish but beloved son.

************

Later that night, after Hoss, Joe and Hop Sing had gone to bed, Ben banked the fire and turned in. Dinner had been quiet with the boys already missing their older brother. They didn't seem interested in a game of checkers after dinner either, though Hop Sing tried to encourage them in that direction. Eventually, Hop Sing had given up and turned in early to catch up on correspondence. Shortly thereafter the two boys turned in also.

Ben grabbed the lantern and made his way to his bedroom, closing the door behind him. He felt drained and as if he had just lost an important part of himself. Everywhere he looked that night he saw Adam - reading by the fireplace, wrestling out in the yard with Hoss and Little Joe, tending to Beauty, sharing dinner with the family.

But it was all over now. Adam had made his choice.

Ben set the lantern on the nightstand, sat on his bed, and started wearily unbuttoning his shirt. Inevitably his attention was drawn to the small, oval box on the nightstand with cherubs on the sides - Elizabeth's music box.

He usually kept it in a drawer, tucked safely away. But after Adam had brought up the subject several days ago, something had prompted Ben to pull it out. He picked it up now and ran his fingers over it. Eventually he opened the top and was pleased to find that the gentle tinkling music could still play. He pictured his sweet wife's face when he had first given it to her and recalled her dying words, "My music box," as she touched it for the last time.

And then he wept - for the wife he lost so long ago and for the son he had lost today.

************

The following day found Ben Cartwright a determined man. He rode his horse swiftly, yet carefully, as he stormed down mountain paths where no stagecoach could ever go.

He had to get there in time.

The coach had twelve hours head start on him, but it would be stopping in a few towns and have two layovers in between. Ben figured he just might be able to catch up. Especially since he was taking the shorter routes over the more difficult terrain.

He was pushing his horse harder than he knew he should, but he was desperate. When the animal started to falter, Ben eased up and found a ranch nearby where he borrowed another and raced on.

He made camp briefly that night - only to conserve the horse. Before the first hint of dawn had begun to chase the darkness away the next day, Ben was already in the saddle and rushing to close the gap.

************

David Mandible was handing his satchel up to the driver while the older man who ran the way station finished adjusting the harness. Adam was nowhere in sight.

"Mandible!"

The businessman turned and was deeply surprised to see Ben Cartwright dismounting from his horse. "What are you doing here, Cartwright?"

"Where's Adam?"

Mandible stepped away from the coach as the other two men were curious and observed the exchange.

"I asked you what you're doing here."

"You're not taking my son with you."

The man half-chuckled. "Go back home to your little ranch. Adam and I have more important matters to attend to."

Ben stalked over to him. "I don't know what your game is, but I won't allow you to use my son any longer."

Adam was coming out of the house/way station, satchel in hand. He was amazed to see his father standing there. "Pa!"

Ben turned to see him then turned back to the other man. "Tell Adam what you really want from him."

"Go home to your two sons, Cartwright."

"I have three sons."

Adam watched the confrontation from a slight distance away.

Mandible sneered, "You gave this one up, remember?"

"No. I would never give him up. I love him!"

Mandible snorted. Adam was astonished his father would admit that openly.

Ben turned back momentarily to his son. "Adam, this man is using you."

"What?"

"Tell him, Mandible. Tell him what you really want with him."

Adam was confused and looked toward the businessman.

"He doesn't know what he's talking about, Adam. He just can't bear to lose one of his hired help."

Adam recalled feeling that way not so many days ago. He was torn between both sides.

"That isn't true, Adam. He's taking you back to Boston for some reason."

The stagecoach driver and the way station operator were watching, concerned at the tone the conversation was heading.

Mandible scoffed, "What reason?"

"It's got something to do with your father, hasn't it?"

How he stumbled upon this, Mandible hadn't a clue, but Ben was awfully close.

"Leave my father out of this. He's dead."

Adam had no idea what they were talking about.

"Your father was a greedy, spiteful man, wasn't he?"

"How dare you!"

"Maybe you take after him."

"My father was a wonderful..."

Ben quickly interjected, "Your father preyed on the desperation of other men for his own profit!"

Adam's brow furrowed as he listened.

"You're a liar, Cartwright!"

"Am I?" He turned again to his son. "Adam, Mandible's father tried to trick your grandfather into commanding a slave ship."

Adam was appalled. He glanced over at the other man.

"My father tried to give Abel Stoddard a ship to command when he was fired from his other vessel!"

"He trapped him into a contract and stole his money!"

Mandible was furious. He pulled a derringer from his pocket as Adam looked on, shocked.

"You will withdraw your words, Cartwright, or I'll kill you."

The stagecoach driver and the way station operator moved slightly, and Mandible caught the movement from the corner of his eye. "Stay where you are, both of you, or I'll kill this man."

The two men complied, and Mandible noticed the driver had a side arm. "You! Throw that weapon over here!"

The driver considered whether to obey the order. He finally reluctantly consented and tossed the pistol at Mandible's feet. The businessman kept the derringer pointed at Ben and his eye on him as he carefully bent down to retrieve the weapon. He decided a pistol would be more useful. He switched the derringer to his other hand, cocked the pistol in his right as he pointed it at Ben, and uncocked the smaller weapon.

Adam started forward as his father remained focused on the gun.

"No, don't move, Boy!" Mandible's finger tightened on the pistol's trigger. "If anyone moves, he dies!" he warned, slipping the derringer into his coat pocket.

Ben challenged him. "Why did you want Adam to go with you? Tell me!"

Mandible called over to Adam. "Bring me your father's horse."

Adam stayed put.

Mandible moved a little closer to Ben. "I said bring me the horse - unless you want your father to die right now."

Adam reluctantly moved toward the animal and grabbed the reins while watching the man and his father intently. Mandible maintained a vigilance over everyone around him.

Adam began to lead the horse over. Mandible volunteered as he waited for it, "Such a pity. It's been so long in the planning. But no matter."

"What's been long in the planning, Mandible?" Ben demanded.

"I was going to return a favor. You got my father killed, Cartwright. So I was going to reciprocate."

Ben and Adam exchanged a quick, puzzled look.

Ben spoke up. "I didn't get your father killed. I didn't even know he was dead."

"My father had an arrangement with a number of individuals who had a great deal of money invested in that schooner Abel Stoddard was to command. When Stoddard refused to be it's commander, in part due to your efforts to dissuade him, those men lost a fortune."

Adam countered as he handed Mandible the reins, "They could've found someone else."

"Ha! Tell the boy, Cartwright, how easy it is to get someone to command a slaver!"

Ben kept silent.

Mandible continued. "The other businessmen were rather colorful individuals, shall we say. And they blamed my father for the losses." He spoke the next words very clearly and painfully. "My father's throat was slit from ear to ear shortly thereafter."

Ben winced at the news. Adam was sickened. The other men in the background were also affected.

Mandible placed a foot in the stirrup while keeping the gun trained on Ben. "I was going to return the favor, Cartwright." He grabbed the saddle horn and swung his other leg over. "I intended to lead Adam to the exact spot on the pier where my mother found my father's bleeding corpse. And then..."

"You were going to kill me," Adam concluded, disgusted with himself for his naivete.

Mandible smiled as he took the reins in his free hand. "And enjoy every minute of picturing your father receiving the news."

Ben was horrified. "You monster!"

Mandible laughed. "I'll have to be satisfied this way. A pity."

He prepared to fire the gun at Ben Cartwright.

Adam was still standing next to the horse. He shouted "No!" and instantly grabbed for the man, yanking him off balance. The gun discharged, the horse reared, and Adam fell back just as Ben Cartwright rushed forward and leapt on top of Mandible. The horse bolted away as the man was pulled from the saddle. The stagecoach driver jumped down from the top of the coach as the way station operator rushed over, also. While Ben was beating Mandible senseless, the station operator had gone over to Adam and was pressing a neckerchief to his blood-splattered jacket. The driver was trying to pull Ben Cartwright off the now-unconscious Mandible. Adam called out weakly, "Pa!"

Ben realized Mandible was no longer a threat and heard his son call out. He hurried over to him.

"Adam!"

Adam had been shot just below the left shoulder and was pale and in pain. But he was more concerned about his father. "I'm all right, Pa."

The station operator, still pressing the neckerchief to the wound, advised, "The bullet's still in there. Let's git him inside so's I can take care of it."

Ben and the man helped Adam to a standing position and carefully supported him as they walked slowly toward the house while keeping the cloth pressed firmly against the wound. Once inside, the station operator hurriedly placed a cot from one of the bedrooms in the main room near the fireplace. He and Ben eased Adam over to it.

Meanwhile, the stagecoach driver had retrieved some rope and tied Mandible securely against a post in the barn. He joined the other men in the house as the station operator was stoking the fire and telling Ben, "There's some whiskey over in the cupboard."

Ben lifted Adam's right hand and placed it against the neckerchief as Adam winced. "Hold this, Son." Adam nodded slightly as Ben went for the whiskey.

The stagecoach driver asked, "What can I do?"

The other man said, "There's some old sheets in my room. Start tearin' them into strips." The driver nodded and left the room.

Ben held the bottle up to Adam's lips. "Here, Son." He winked. "You've been wanting your first drink of whiskey."

Adam laughed hesitantly and admitted, "I've, uh - already had my first drink, Pa."

His father held his son's head as Adam winced again at the movement and swallowed some liquor.

Ben was mildly amused at his son's confession. "Well, I guess I shouldn't be shocked by anything you boys have done." He helped his oldest son take a few more sips. Adam winced once more, this time from the strong drink going down his throat.

Ben frowned with concern as the station operator started over with a knife, the blade of which he had just heated over an open flame.

As Adam drank more of the whiskey and started feeling its effects, he turned to his father and said, "I'm sorry I didn't listen, Pa."

Ben set the bottle aside and prepared to hold his son down as he replied gently, "I know, Adam."

Adam saw the man approaching with the knife. He took a hesitant breath, turned away, and closed his eyes as he braced himself for what was to come.

************

By the time the bullet was finally removed some time later, Adam had passed out, and the other three men were a bit exhausted. It hadn't been easy, and Adam had lost a lot of blood in the process. The men heavily bandaged his shoulder and set his arm in a sling.

The way station operator wiped his hands on a blood-stained rag as he turned to Adam's father. "Better have a doc check him out first town you come to. I ain't no expert and he was shot at close range."

Ben nodded. "Thanks. I appreciate your help - both of you."

The other two men nodded and began to straighten up the area removing Adam's ruined jacket and shirt along with items used during the surgery.

Ben stayed with Adam and considered his son as he slept. Adam's face was pale and his breathing somewhat uneven, but Ben figured that was to be expected under the circumstances. Ben reached out to brush a stray lock of hair from his son's face but at the last moment decided against it not wanting to chance waking him.

Leaning back against his chair, Ben's thoughts turned to the events that had occurred over the past week. He frowned as he tried to understand how Adam could have fallen for Mandible's lies.

The man was good, Ben had to admit that. Mandible had somehow known exactly how to get to Adam. A trip to Boston had been Adam's lifelong dream. But how did Mandible know that? And how had he so alienated Ben's son to the point that anytime father and son had spoken recently it had always been in anger?

Ben let out a weary sigh just thinking about it.

Reluctantly, he admitted to himself that he had made mistakes, too. Something was obviously bothering Adam the night he had come home so late. Instead of calmly trying to piece together what was wrong and what Elizabeth's music box had to do with it, Ben had just pushed aside any talk of the music box and demanded to know what was going on. Why hadn't he taken the time to try and understand why the music box was suddenly so important to his son after all these years?

He looked over at Adam, adjusted his quilt slightly, and recalled that his son's hesitancy over the years to confide in him had been a source of great frustration from time to time. Was it possible that Adam also felt frustrated those same times just trying to get through to his old man?

What was it Shelby had said the other day - something about Adam and him being the two most mule-headed stubborn people she knew. Ben smiled thinking that perhaps she was right.

He shifted a little in the stiff-backed chair and once more glanced at his oldest son. So many harsh words had been exchanged over the past several days. Ben realized there would be a lot more to heal than his son's injured shoulder.

He closed his eyes thinking how thankful he was they would now get the time they needed.

************

Adam started to regain consciousness the next morning. It took a few moments for the world to come back into focus, but when it did he realized his father had spent the night by his side. Ben was dozing in the chair placed next to the cot.

"Pa?" he uttered faintly.

Instantly Ben came awake and placed his hand on Adam's good arm. "Easy, Son."

Adam winced as he tried to shift a little. He felt incredibly weak - like a herd of wild mustangs had just trampled him.

"Don't move, Adam, or you'll start bleeding again."

Adam put his right hand atop the bandages and groaned. "Hurts."

Ben reached for the whiskey bottle and poured some into a cup. He held it to his son's lips, and Adam hesitantly drank some, coughing slightly as the hard liquor went down.

"Thanks, Pa."

Pa laid the cup aside. "You're gonna be all right."

Adam raised his head and watched as he tried moving his left hand. He was relieved to find he could bend his fingers slightly. "Yeah." He laid his head back in relief.

"Just don't try to move your arm or shoulder right now."

Things were a little blurry to Adam as he glanced around. "Where is everybody?"

"The stagecoach left yesterday. Mandible was tied up in the back. The driver was going to turn him in to the next sheriff on the route."

"Good." He let out a long, careful breath.

"The station operator should be back shortly."

As Adam lay there trying not to focus on the pain something suddenly occurred to him. "Pa, why did you come after me?"

Ben paused for a moment before revealing, "Because you forgot something when you left. I wanted to make sure you got it in time."

Adam raised his eyebrows as he waited for his father to continue.

Ben got up, said, "Be right back," and went outside for a short time.

Adam wondered what he was talking about.

His father came back with something wrapped in a cloth and set it on Adam's chest. Adam was curious and tried unwrapping it with one hand. His father remembered his disability and assisted.

As the cloth was removed, Adam was shocked to see the contents - his mother's music box!

Ben answered Adam's unasked question. "Your mother would've wanted you to have it. It's yours, Adam."

Adam struggled to avoid revealing his true emotions, but his father could see them glistening in his eyes.

"Thanks, Pa," Adam whispered as his hand caressed the precious gift.

Ben said gently yet firmly, "Don't ever doubt that I love you, Son."

Adam had carried that doubt in his heart for many years. Maybe now he could finally lay the doubt to rest. "I'll remember."

"Good." Ben lightened the moment up with, "I'll remember some things, too, by the way. Like finding out how you came by your first drink." He winked at his son.

"Ut oh," Adam chuckled.

The way station operator came in just then and strode over to his patient. "How ya feel?"

Adam smiled and answered weakly, "Fine."

"Yeah, sure."

Both Cartwrights laughed.

Adam winced and grabbed his shoulder as another sharp pain went through him. "I just want to go home."

"Well," the way station man said, "won't be another stage through here for 'bout a week."

Adam let out a discouraged sigh.

Ben rubbed his hand over his unshaven face as he considered their options. "Well, maybe we could ride double. But I'm not sure I want to take a chance with your shoulder."

The station man offered, "I could sell ya a horse for yer boy soon's he can ride."

Adam knew his father didn't have a lot of money, but he had an idea that just might work. "Pa, where's my jacket?"

The way station man interjected, "That one's all torn and bloody, Boy. I've got it out back to burn."

"Pa, there's something in my right pocket. Will you get it?"

"Of course."

Ben went outside and was gone for a short while. He returned carrying the pocket watch. He handed it over to his son, curious as to its origin.

Adam fumbled with the watch as he tried opening it with one hand. Even that little effort exhausted him, and his father again moved to assist him.

"Pa, will you take the picture out?"

Ben was very surprised to see the familiar face inside as he opened the cover. He was more perplexed now than when he had first found the watch. He removed the picture and handed the watch back to Adam who in turn handed it over to the station operator while asking, "This enough for a horse and saddle?"

The other man examined the watch. "Sure is. That's enough for ten horses and saddles!"

Adam grimaced as he once again pressed his hand against the bandages. "Good. Keep it for your trouble."

"Thanks!" The man happily toyed with the watch as he headed over to start breakfast.

Ben looked puzzled as he handed Adam Elizabeth's picture. "Where'd the watch come from? If you don't mind me asking, Son."

Son.

Adam took his mother's picture in his good hand and rested the hand atop the cherished music box. It took a few moments, but he finally answered his father.

"It came from the serpent, Pa."

After another pause, he added, "It was my first bite of the apple."

 

THE END.