Christmas at the Cartwrights'

By Tennessee

 

It was almost Christmas. Ben and the boys were so busy working on the Ponderosa that they forgot Christmas was approaching, until one night at supper Ben asked what the boys wanted for Christmas.

Hoss said, "I want some new boots."

Adam said, "I'd like some more books to read."

Ben asked, "What about you, Little Joe?"

"I don't want anything, Pa."

Ben looked at him. "Why not, son?"

"I just don't want anything, that's all." He stood up from the table. "I got chores to do."

"What's the matter with Little Joe?" Ben asked after Joe had gone outside.

Hoss answered, "He's been like this for a week now."

"He doesn't seem to care about anyone or anything lately," Adam said.

"Have you two talked to him?"

"We tried," said Adam. "He told us to leave him alone."

Ben got up and went to the barn. Little Joe was brushing Paint. Ben said, "Son, we need to talk."

Little Joe said, "Pa, I'm all right. I just don't want anything for Christmas."

"That's all right, Joe. Christmas can just be a time to spend with family."

Little Joe just looked at him then went on working.

Ben went back to the house. "Your brother is upset about something," he told Adam and Hoss. "Let's do our best to cheer him up."

Adam said, "We will, Pa."

For the next few days Ben and Adam and Hoss tried to get Little Joe to smile or laugh. It did not work. Adam and Hoss asked Little Joe to come with them to look for a Christmas tree but he shouted no and ran to his room. That night they strung popcorn and berries for the tree, but Little Joe wanted no part of it. He just went outside and came back in when it was time for bed.

"How do you like the tree, Joe?" Hoss asked.

"It's fine," Joe said without looking and then went to his room.

"He'll come around," Ben said.

The next morning at daybreak Ben, Hoss, Adam, and Hop Sing went to town. Little Joe didn't want to go, and Ben let him stay home as long as he stayed at the house. Little Joe fell asleep on his bed and when he work up and looked outside he saw that the ground was covered with snow. He looked around and saw that his family had not made it home yet. He got his coat and boots and ran to the barn with tears in his eyes. He fed and watered the stock and then went into the house to stoke the fire. He told himself Pa and his brothers would be home soon.

Ben, Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing were on their way back to the Ponderosa when the storm hit. Adam said, "We're going to have to get somewhere safe to wait out the storm."

But Ben urged the horses on. Finally Hoss put his hands over Ben's. "Pa, the Woodman place is right ahead of us. We need to stop there."

Ben finally agreed. They went to the Woodman farm. Hoss started a fire in the fireplace. Ben didn't say a word.

"Pa," Adam said, "I'm sure Little Joe is fine. He's warm and safe at the Ponderosa."

Ben shook his head. "He's alone. And he hasn't been himself lately. He's been so sad. I shouldn't have let him stay home."

Hoss said, "The storm will pass. You'll see, Pa."

Ben said, "Listen to that wind, son. It could snow for days and days."

"It won't," Adam said.

At the Ponderosa Little Joe fixed himself some bread and butter and hot tea. After he'd eaten he went outside to get more firewood. He locked the front door. There was no way Pa and the rest could get home that night.

Joe started to cry. He went to his room and thought about his family.

Adam and Hoss and Hop Sing slept well at the Woodman place, but Ben was up the whole night, thinking about Little Joe.

When Little Joe woke up he was still alone, but he yelled to see if anyone would answer. Joe fell into the deep snow on his way to the barn and he started to cry. "I don't want to be alone for Christmas," he sobbed aloud.

At daybreak Ben got his horse and headed to the Ponderosa. When the others woke up they didn't know where Ben was. Hoss said, "You think he tried to get to the Ponderosa?"

"Yes, his horse is gone," Adam said. "We need to go after him."

When they went to hitch the remaining horse to the wagon they head a voice say, "It's no use. The snow is too deep." Ben had tears in his eyes as he got off his horse and went into the Woodmans' house. Hop Sing went with him.

Hoss turned to Adam. "What if we walk to the Ponderosa? Leave the horses here."

"Let's ask Pa," Adam said.

Ben shook his head when they told him. "No, the snow is too deep. We'd never make it. We'll have to wait until tomorrow." He went to look out the window.

Little Joe, too, was looking out a window at the snow coming down. He cried some but then decided he was the man of the house and needed to take care of the Ponderosa. He washed the dishes and then made sure the horses and cows had enough hay. He got more wood for the fire. The night he used the last of the bread and butter and tea. At the table, he looked toward the Christmas tree. He thought it needed more stuff on it. He made paper star for the top of the tree and put more popcorn and berries on it. Then he realized he hadn't gotten his family anything for Christmas. He smiled as he got an idea. He made Christmas cards for Pa, Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing. Each one said he'd do one chore for the recipient.

Ben was thinking about Little Joe being home alone and wondering if the storm would ever stop.

Little Joe woke up early and looked out the window. The snow had stopped. He jumped up and down and ran to the door. He was sure Pa and the rest would be on their way home.

When Ben woke up he looked out the window. He ran to the front door and tried to open it, but snow had covered the door. Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing jumpd up.

Hoss said, "Can we dig out the door, Pa?"

Ben had tears in his eyes. "I think it's too deep, son."

Adam said, "We have to try, Pa."

Ben shook his head. "It's no use."

Hoss called, "Adam, come help me." They started digging out the doorway.

Little Joe did his chores and then closed up the barn and walked to the house. "Pa, where are you?" he asked out loud. He ran to his room and cried.

Hoss and Adam worked and worked but they could not dig out the door. Ben watched them and tried to think of what to do about Little Joe. Hoss and Adam then tried to dig out a window. It took them several hours, but finally they could see outside and get on top of the snow.

When he was on top of the snow, Hoss shouted, "I made it!"

Adam turned. "Pa! Hoss is out."

Ben jumped up. "Let's get home to Little Joe."

Soon all four were outside. They couldn't get to their horses. They got all the supplies they could carry and then walked toward the Ponderosa atop the snow drifts.

When Little Joe had cried himself out he went to the kitchen to fix some hot tea. He wondered where his family could be.

Ben walked faster than the rest and soon was far ahead. He knew he had to get to Little Joe.

It was almost dark when Ben saw the house. He began to run, yelling for his son.

Little Joe saw Ben through the window. Then the front door flew open. Ben ran to Little Joe and swept him up in his arms. "Are you okay, son?"

"Yes, Pa," Little Joe said as he hugged Ben. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it. I don't want to be alone for Christmas."

"It's all right, son. I love you. The storm kept me from you, but I'm here now."

Little Joe leaned back. "Where are Adam and Hoss?"

"They're coming. They are just a little slower." Ben looked at the new decorations on the tree. "It looks great son," he said. "What are those little cards under the tree?"

"My Christmas gifts to you," Joe said with a smile.

Ben grinned and nodded.

About that time, Adam, Hoss, and Hop Sing came in. Joe hugged all of them and asked if they wanted some coffee. Hoss looked at Little Joe. "You took care of the house?"

Joe nodded. "I'm not a baby. I took care of things."

Hoss grinned. "You're the man of the house."

Then tears came into Joe's eyes. "I missed all of you. I didn't mean it when I said I wanted to be left alone."

"We know," said Adam and Hoss. "You can always talk to us."

Hop Sing looked out the window. "It is snowing again."

Little Joe said, "As long as you are all here, I don't care if it snows."

Adam said, "Me neither," and hugged his little brother again. Adam and Hoss both told Little Joe how nice the tree looked.

The family went to bed early. Little Joe would not let them look at their Christmas gifts. The next day the family worked on the Ponderosa, and Hop Sing cooked Christmas dinner: ham, corn bread, green beans, a cake, and some sugar cookies. That night they ate bread and butter. Little Joe made a face when he saw the meal.

"What's wrong? You like bread and butter."

"But it's all I ate while you were gone."

Ben asked Hop Sing to give Joe a little piece of ham. Hoss made a face then, and Ben laughed. "All right, we all can have some ham."

Little Joe asked, "Pa, can I give out my gifts?"

Ben said, "I guess so."

So Little Joe gave each of them their Christmas card.

Ben said, "I like my gift, son, but you've already done it. You took care of the Ponderosa while we were gone."

"That's right," Adam said. "And you did Hoss's and my chores, too."

Little Joe smiled. Ben sent everyone off to bed. Adam and Hoss put their gifts under the tree and went to sleep.

On Christmas morning Ben woke up first and yelled, "Merry Christmas!"

Little Joe came awake suddenly and ran into the living room. His brothers soon followed. Hop Sing made eggs and bacon for breakfast. They ate and opened their gifts. Hoss got his boots, and Adam got new books. Little Joe got a new saddle. He yelled, "Thank you, everyone!"

"You're welcome," they said.

Little Joe sighed. "I'm so happy the snow stopped and we are all together for Christmas."

"Me too," Adam said.

They talked all morning and then did their chores. But Ben let Little Joe have the day off from chores because he'd done so much to care for the Ponderosa during the snowstorm. When the chores were done, it was time for Christmas dinner.

As they gathered around the table, Hoss said, "Man, I don't know how Little Joe did all that work by himself."

Adam said, "That's easy. I'll tell you."

"How?"

Adam said, "He's younger than you."

Hoss grinned and pointed at Adam. "Yeah, well I’m younger than you."

Adam joked, "Well then you should do more work than me."

Everyone laughed.

 

 

The End