Aunt Jeanette Visits

By Tennessee

 

Little Joe got letters from his aunt all the time. She still lived in New Orleans; she’d stayed even after her husband’s death and Marie’s death. Ben and the boys were the only family she had left.

She’d come to the Ponderosa to visit once. During that trip she’d tried to take Little Joe home with her, and Ben had said no. "This is his family. He stays here with us," Ben had said. Jeanette had gotten mad but then she understood why Joe would want to stay there. But she was all alone, and she missed Little Joe. She wrote to ask if she could come back for a visit.

Little Joe told Ben she wanted to come. At first Ben said no, that she and Hop Sing didn’t get along.

"But, Pa. She’s my aunt and she misses us," Joe had begged.

Ben relented and said she could come. Hop Sing could stay in town while she was visiting.

Aunt Jeanette reminded Little Joe of his ma. She tried to take over, and she told the boys what to do as if she was their mother. It made Adam and Hoss real mad. She always managed to say the wrong things to them.

Little Joe, on the other hand, loved the way she took care of him. Just like his ma. Ben knew she was trying real hard to act like Little Joe'’ mother, and that made him mad. She cooked meals, but she was not a good cook. She talked about Marie all the time, and that made Little Joe look real sad sometimes. None of their friends would come to the Ponderosa. She made Tess cry, and Hoss was so mad he moved to the Green ranch. Ben shouted at Jeanette, telling her she had no call to talk to Tess that way.

"I just don’t like them acting like they love each other," Jeanette retorted.

"They DO love each other."

"They’re too young to be in love, Ben."

"Well, they aren’t getting married now. But they hope to one day. Since you’ve been here you’ve run Hop Sing and Hoss both off."

Jeanette ran to her room with tears in her eyes. Adam and Little Joe just looked at Ben.

"I think it’s time for Jeanette to go home," Ben said.

Jeanette came out of her room. "If you run me off, Little Joe will go with me. He is Marie’s son. He is my family."

Little Joe moved toward here, but Ben shouted, "Little Joe, stay here."

Little Joe began to cry. "Stop it! Stop it both of you!" He ran outside. Adam followed him.

In the barn Little Joe sobbed, "Adam, why do they always want me to pick?"

"I don’t know, Little Joe. They shouldn’t do that. But they both love you very much." He looked up to see Ben and Jeanette standing in the barn door. "Little Joe, what do you want to do?"

Little Joe said, "This is my home. I love the Ponderosa. I want to stay here with you and Hoss and Pa. But she is my family, and she reminds me of Ma. I don’t want to hurt her."

Adam put his arm around his little brother. "I know."

Ben stepped into the barn. "Son, we’re so sorry about putting you in the middle of our fight. Adam’s right. We both love you very much."

Jeanette said, "Your pa is right. I would like for you to come live with me, but I know that’s not right. Marie would want you to be with your pa and your brothers."

Little Joe stepped toward her. "I love you, Tante Jeanette."

"I love you too, Joseph."

Adam cleared his throat and reminded them that it was time for the party at the Greens.

"You should come, Jeanette," Ben said. "Hop Sing, Hoss, the Greens, and everybody from town will be there."

At the Green ranch, Ben helped Jeanette out of the wagon. She stepped toward Hop Sing. "I’m so sorry for everything I’ve done to you. I know you take good care of the Cartwrights. I hope you’ll come back to the ranch. Hoss and Tess, I can see you love each other. Please forgive me."

Hoss gave her a kiss on the cheek and smiled.

"And all of you here," Jeanette continued, "please forgive me for the things I’ve said. I never meant to hurt anyone."

Everyone smiled. They all had a great time at the Greens’ party. Jeanette left the next day on the stagecoach. But before the stagecoach moved out everyone said goodbye to her. She kissed Ben, Adam, and Hoss and waved goodbye to everyone else. She hugged Little Joe. "I see your mother whenever I look at you, Joseph."

Little Joe held her tight. "You look just like my ma." With tears running down his cheeks he said, "I love you."

She said, "I love you, too."

Ben came to where Little Joe was and said, "Come visit any time, Jeanette. You’re always welcome."

"Thank you, Ben."

They waved and the stage took off.

"Let’s go home," Ben said.

They rode home talking about the Ponderosa.

 

The End