Anna

By Marion

 

Rating: G

The usual disclaimers ­ I didn't make up the Cartwrights, they don't belong to me, I'm not making any money, etc.

(This story is for every woman who always felt there should be a Cartwright sister ­ and knew she'd be the perfect sister!)

 

Ben Cartwright turned the horses down the hill towards the house. After 4 weeks of being away, it was good to be home. What a long 4 weeks it had been. He had rushed to Santa Barbara, California after he received the telegram announcing that his younger brother, Edward, had died of a sudden illness. Ben was named guardian of Edward's only child, Anna Marie, a twelve-year-old girl. Anna's mother had died giving birth to a stillborn son when Anna was 3. Edward's will directed that his ranch be sold, and that Ben use the proceeds to raise Anna. Anna, asleep, leaned against her uncle, exhausted from the long journey. The wagon held two trunks, which was everything that Anna now owned. An Arabian stallion was tied to the back of the wagon.

Joe was heading to the house after doing his evening chores when he saw the wagon out of the corner of his eye. "Pa's home, pa's home!" he shouted, and his brothers came running from the house to see. Ben gestured for the boys to be quiet so as to not wake Anna. "Welcome home, Pa" whispered Adam.

"Thank you, son. It's good to be home. Hoss, take Anna." Lifting her gently, he passed her down to Hoss. "Is her room ready?"

"Not quite, Pa. The work's done, we just haven't set up the bed yet. We weren't expecting you until tomorrow."

"That's all right. Hoss, put her in my bed, I'll sleep with you boys tonight." As Adam ran ahead to open the doors for Hoss, Ben jumped out of the wagon and hugged Joe. "I've missed you so much, Joseph. Did you behave for your brothers while I was gone?"

"Sure did, Pa. Did all my chores, didn't get into trouble. Did you bring me something?" As Joe asked the last question, he was eyeing the stallion. Ben saw where Joe was looking and laughed.

"That was Uncle Edward's prize stallion, Jove. I thought he'd be good breeding stock, and Annie hated the idea of selling him, so I brought him back. He's not for you, and I want you to stay away from him. He's too big for you." He frowned at Joe's face. "Mind me, Joseph. I won't repeat myself. Oh, here you are Hoss, Adam. Please carry these trunks into Annie's room. Then, when you're done Hoss, you and Joseph can take care of the horses. Hoss, you take care of Jove. Joe's not to handle him." Ben grabbed his own carpetbag and went inside.

"Welcome back, Mr. Cartwright. Little girl is asleep in your bed. You missed supper, but I have some stew warming for you."

"Thank you, Hop Sing. I've missed your cooking the last few weeks. I'll just check on Anna and the new addition and then I'll eat. Any chance there's some coffee made?"

He peeked in his bed. Annie was on her stomach, with the blanket twisted around her. Someone, probably Adam, had removed her shoes. Her long dark hair was escaping from its braids. Ben straightened the blanket and kissed her head gently. He closed the door quietly and walked over to the new door. His sons had been busy while he was gone adding a room onto the house for Anna. He opened the door and saw her trunks standing against one wall, and a bed frame and mattress leaning against the opposite wall. A small dresser was under the window. The room smelled vaguely of saw dust. He turned when he heard Adam come in the room.

"You boys did a good job on the room. I know I didn't give you much time to do it." Ben admired the work Adam and his brothers did. "It'll be good for Annie to have her own room. We'll put the bed together tomorrow."

"I'm glad you're home, Pa. It's been a long while without you. Everything's been fine here, though. Even Little Joe behaved himself while you were gone. He was a big help building this."

Ben laughed, and then sobered. "I know I was gone a long time, Adam, but it couldn't be helped. Ed had a good size ranch and it took a while to get everything settled." Ben walked over to the window, and looked out at his younger sons walking back from the barn. "Adam, I want you to promise me something. Promise me you'll stay close to your brothers. If not physically, at least in spirit." He paused. "How often did I say I was going to Santa Barbara to see Ed? How many times have I said I should write to John? Now it's too late for Ed and I don't know where John is." He leaned against the windowsill, shoulders slumped.

Adam walked up to his father and put his hand on Ben's shoulder. "Don't worry, Pa. We'll stay close, I promise."

 

Annie woke up the next day to noises outside her door. She looked around, puzzled. As she sat up, Uncle Ben opened the door and peeked in.

"Good morning sleepy head. Welcome to the Ponderosa. You were so tired last night that we just put you in my bed." He sat on the bed next to her and put his arm around her. "Hop Sing put a pitcher of water on the dresser, so why don't you wash up and come meet your cousins. They're anxious to meet you."

Annie leaned into his hug and looked up smiling. "I heard them talking out there. I'm trying to guess who's who by the voice. Where's my small bag? Oh, there it is. I'll be just a couple of minutes, Uncle Ben." He kissed the top of her head and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Annie poured water into the bowl and washed her face with the cloth Hop Sing had left. She unbraided her hair and stood in front of the window brushing out the knots. So, she thought. this is the Ponderosa, my new home. She could see Jove in the corral next to the barn. The window gave her a good view of the hills surrounding the yard, but not much else. I guess I'll have plenty of time to see it all. She quickly finished braiding her hair. Standing on her tippy-toes she looked into Uncle Ben's small mirror. Except for the ever present freckles her face looked clean enough. She smoothed out her dress as best she could, put on her shoes, took a deep breath and opened the door.

As she stepped into the room, all 5 men sitting at the table stood up. Ben came over to her, put his arm around her and brought her to the table.

"Boys, this is your cousin Annie. Annie, this is Adam, Eric, Joe and Hop Sing." Ben pointed to each in turn.

Adam stepped forward. "Welcome to the Ponderosa, Anna. We're sorry for your loss, but we hope you'll feel at home here."

"Yeah, Anna, we hope you'll like it here. And call me Hoss. No one calls me Eric unless I'm in trouble."

Anna smiled at that. "Only if you call me Annie. If Pa called me Anna, I knew I'd better hide." She faltered a little but felt Ben's hand squeeze her shoulder in comfort.

Hop Sing stepped forward. "Welcome, Miss Annie. Would you like some breakfast?"

"Yes, please." They all sat down at the table and Hop Sing resumed dishing out the oatmeal.

Ben nudged Little Joe, who spoke up. "Welcome, Annie. That sure is a beautiful horse you brought with you."

"Jove's a great horse. He's a purebred Arabian. My pa bought him from an Englishman that came to Santa Barbara. He's real strong, but he's a lot of fun to ride.

Adam frowned. "You rode him?"

"Well, once. I didn't sit too comfortably for a while after it."

"Thrown, huh?" said Hoss sympathetically.

Annie laughed softly and ate some oatmeal. "I haven't been thrown since I was 8 years old. No, my pa caught me. I wasn't supposed to be anywhere near the horse, let alone ride him. Then I really put my foot in it when I told Pa 'see, I told you I could ride him but you didn't believe me.' Pa didn't tolerate me disobeying him or being disrespectful. " Her eyes watered and she looked down at her bowl.

"Yeah, we know how that is," said Adam gesturing to his brothers with his spoon. "Must be a Cartwright thing."

Adam and Ben spent the rest of the breakfast discussing what needed to be done that day. Annie ate and watched her cousins carefully. She was happy to know that she had matched voice to name while she was in bed. She couldn't believe how big Adam and Hoss were, but Uncle Ben and Pa were both big men, so she wasn't really surprised. She remembered Uncle Ben saying that Joe was her age. He looked like he was full of mischief and fun but for some reason he didn't look too happy when he looked at her. She was lost in her thoughts when she heard Uncle Ben say her name. "Yes, sir?"

"If you're done eating, Annie, I'll show you your room. The boys have been building it just for you."

"I'm done. I can do the dishes for you, if you want."

Ben shook his head. "Not today, sweetheart. Hop Sing will take care of that. Come on, let's go have a look."

She followed him into the room, and Adam, Hoss and Joe followed. She thought it was a small room, definitely smaller than her room back home, but then shook her head. This is home now. The boys were obviously waiting for her to comment. "It's nice. I like the view out the window."

Ben nodded. "Adam and Hoss will put the bed together in a little bit. I have some chores to do, but you can spend the morning unpacking and after lunch I'll take you into town to pick out some material for curtains. Maybe Ruth can make them for you."

"I can sew, Uncle Ben. Concetta taught me how."

"Who's Concetta?" asked Joe.

"She is - was our housekeeper. She taught me to cook and to sew. I've made curtains before. I like sewing."

"That's settled then. Boys, let's go finish the barn chores while Annie unpacks. If you need anything, Annie, just ask Hop Sing. Adam and Hoss will be back in a bit to do the bed."

Annie opened the first trunk. She took out her dresses, shook them out and hung them on the pegs behind the door. She put her underthings and stockings in the dresser and arranged her brush, comb and pictures on the top. The rest of the trunk held her quilts and sewing basket. She closed that and looked in the second trunk. That trunk held a few heirloom treasures that she had inherited from her mother and her father's books. She didn't have any shelves. Maybe Adam could build her one. Uncle Ben said Adam liked to read. As if he knew she was thinking of her, Adam came in.

"Settling in? Hey, are those books? What do you have?"

"Mostly they were my father's books. He loved to read and I couldn't bear to leave them behind. Could you build me some shelves to put them on? You can read any of them that you want."

"Best not let him read any before he builds this bed or you'll be sleeping on the floor tonight." Hoss came in with the hammer and nails to build the bed. "Come on, Adam. Pa'll have a fit iffen we don't finish this up and get to work on that fence."

"All right, all right. Annie, can I look through those later?"

"Sure, help yourself. I think I'll go see if I can help Hop Sing with lunch so that I'm out of your way. "

 

Hop Sing didn't need any help with lunch, so Annie wandered outside to explore her new home. She saw Joe raking out the chicken coop and went to talk to him.

"Hi, Joe. Do you need some help?"

"No."

"Your pa says that you're 12. So am I."

"Yeah, I am. I gotta finish my chores." He turned his back and raked faster. Annie shrugged and wandered towards the barn. She stopped at the corral to see Jove. She looked around to see if anyone was watching and then she climbed onto the railing. She was just about to swing her legs over the top when strong hands grabbed her from behind. Her Uncle Ben pulled her down and looked at her sternly, hands on his hips. "I told Joe, and I'll tell you, stay away from this horse. Do you understand? I don't repeat myself."

Annie gulped. Uncle Ben sure looked a lot like Pa, and she suspected the resemblance was more than looks. "Yes, sir. It's just, well, I didn't have anything to do. I'm unpacked, and Adam and Hoss are making the bed, and Joe's doing chores and Hop Sing didn't need any help."

Ben's expression softened. He ruffled Annie's hair. "Come on, you can help me tidy up the tack in the barn." He put his arm around her and led her to the barn. Joe watched them go, an angry look on his face. He threw feed at the chickens so hard that the hens squawked.

"I don't know what you're so fired up about, but don't hurt them chickens. If they stop laying Hop Sing'll have your tail on the door." Hoss stood by the coop door.

"Who does she think she is anyway?" Joe demanded.

"Who?"

"Annie, who else? She comes in here and takes over Pa. It's like we're not even here."

"Joe, don't be dumb. She's just grievin' and Pa's trying to help her, just like he helped you when Ma died." Joe slammed open the door and pushed past Hoss. "I shoulda known you'd take her side." Hoss stared after Joe, then shrugged. Hop Sing needed wood, and it wasn't going to chop itself.

Hoss had just finished chopping a pile of wood when Adam came by. "What's Joe's problem? I just told him Hop Sing was looking for the kindling and he almost bit my head off!"

Hoss sighed. "He's dumb, that's his problem. He's got it in his head that Pa's ignoring us and only paying attention to Annie."

Adam rolled his eyes. "I wish Pa was ignoring us ­ that list of chores is going to take at least all afternoon. Joe'd better watch himself around Pa, or he'll wish Pa were ignoring him. Come on, Hop Sing's got lunch ready." Adam and Hoss each grabbed an armful of wood and went into the house. Pa, Annie and Joe were already sitting down, and Hop Sing was ladling out soup.

After they ate for a while, Pa looked up. "Boys, Annie and I will be going to town this afternoon. You boys get to work on the fencing and the other chores we talked about this morning. Joe, you make sure you listen to Adam."

"Pa, I was hoping to go into town with you. I haven't been since you left and I'd like to see my friends." Joe looked at Pa hopefully.

"No, Joe, you have chores that need to get done. Maybe you can come next time." Joe looked like he was going to protest when Hoss kicked him under the table and Adam shot him a significant look. Fortunately for Joe, Pa had already turned his attention to Hop Sing. "Hop Sing, do you need anything from town?" Hop Sing shook his head. "No, Adam went last week. I think we are set for a while."

"Right then. Finish up Annie, I want to get going. Hoss, if you're done, please go hitch up the team. Joseph, eat!" He got up and went out the door, Annie following behind him, oblivious to the glare Joe was giving her. Adam just shook his head. "Boy, if you don't fix your attitude, Pa's going to fix it for you!"

"Shut up, Adam." Joe pushed his plate away and stomped into the bunkroom.

 

Early the next morning, Annie lay awake in bed, thinking about the trip to town. She and Uncle Ben had gone to the Orowitz's store, and Annie had met both Mr. and Mrs. Orowitz. They seemed very nice, and Mrs. Orowitz spent a while helping Annie pick out the fabric for the curtains. Mrs. Orowitz also told Annie that if she ever needed to talk to another woman, she could come see Mrs. Orowitz anytime. Shelby Sterritt had stopped in the store and Ben had introduced Annie to her as well. Shelby was unlike any woman Annie had ever seen before, and Annie could barely greet her politely, she was so surprised. Then, as they were leaving, Margaret Greene and her daughter, Tess, came into the store, and they were introduced to Annie. Mrs. Greene told Annie that if she ever needed a break from all those men, she should come to the Greenes. Uncle Ben laughed and told her he expected all these people didn't think he could handle a girl; after all he only had the boys. When they got home, it was time for dinner. Adam and Hoss were annoyed because Joe hadn't done all his chores, and they told Uncle Ben that as soon as he got home. Then Joe spoke back to Uncle Ben during dinner. Uncle Ben was really angry, and told Joe if he was going to be rude, he could just leave the table, finish his chores and then go to bed early. Joe looked like he was going to argue until Uncle Ben started to stand up. Joe fled the table. Dinner was quiet after that. Joe came in after his chores were done, and slammed the door of the bunkroom after Uncle Ben had to remind him he had to go to bed early.

Annie wasn't sure what had awoken her so early that morning. She couldn't hear anyone stirring in the other room, and it didn't sound like anyone was outside. The sun hadn't even reached the tops of the pines, so it was still early. She got up and got dressed. Uncle Ben had told her that as part of her chores, she was to help Hop Sing with meals, and she was to wash the dishes. She took a clean dress off the hook, and after it was on, pulled on her stockings. As she was dressing, she heard sounds of her uncle and cousins getting up and heading outside to do chores. She stuck her foot in her shoe but felt something in the toe. She reached in and pulled out a dead mouse. "Yuck" she said softly. She heard a noise outside her window and saw Joe running away from the house. "So, that's how he wants to be," she thought. "Two can play at that game." She put on her apron and slipped the mouse into the pocket. She opened her door, and saw Hop Sing starting breakfast. "Good morning, Miss Annie."

"Good morning, Hop Sing. Uncle Ben said I am to help with breakfast. What can I do?"

"Please set the table, then pour drinks."

Annie busied herself with her tasks, taking special care to pour Joe's milk.

Uncle Ben and the boys came in from the barn, Adam and Hoss talking about a chore they needed to do, and Joe looking pleased about something. They all sat and eagerly passed around the dishes of food Hop Sing had prepared. Adam and Hoss were still talking about the best way to do the chores. Suddenly, Joe spit out his milk all over the table. "Joseph!" Ben yelled as he wiped his shirt dry.

"Eewww, oh, oh.! Someone get me some water. Oh yuck!" Joe continued to sputter as Hop Sing got him a glass of water. Joe took a gulp, then picked up his spoon and fished out the dead mouse from his glass.

"What the -" said Ben. "How'd that get in there?"

"I bet it was the cats," said Annie. "I remember Concetta's cat used to leave mice all over the place. She said it was the cat's way of helping out the family."

"Well, it's not helping me" Joe muttered. He shot Annie a look of pure malice. "May I be excused, Pa? I've lost my appetite." He got up from the table.

Ben nodded. "Joe?" Joe turned toward Ben, and Ben gestured toward the mouse with his spoon. "Take the mouse outside, please."

An hour or so later, Annie was done helping Hop Sing with the dishes and tidying up the small house. He told her that her uncle had some other chores he wanted her to do, and to go find him outside. She headed out to the barn looking for Uncle Ben, when Joe stepped in front of her.

"I bet you thought the mouse in the milk was funny." He crossed his arms and glared at her.

"As funny as the mouse in my shoe." She crossed her arms and glared back at him. "What's your problem anyway?"

"You. You're my problem. Everything was great until you got here."

Annie looked at him, dumbfounded. "You think I wanted to come here? You think I wanted my pa to die? Well, Joseph Cartwright, you're an idiot. You're a nasty, selfish brat." She tried to push past him.

"You can't talk to me like that! You're a, you're a -" Frustrated, Joe pushed Annie. She stepped back and slipped in the mud near the trough. "Ow!" She reached out and grabbed Joe as she fell, dragging him down with her.

Joe was just about to push her again when strong hands lifted them from the mud. "What's going on here?" Pa demanded, looking at Joe. Joe blanched. If Pa knew he'd been fighting with Annie, he'd tan Joe for sure. Annie saw Joe's face.

"I-I slipped in the mud, Uncle Ben. Joe tried to grab me, but I accidentally dragged him down with me." Ben looked at her curiously, then back at Joe. "All right then. You should both get cleaned up, you're filthy. Are you hurt?" When they both shook their heads no, he let go of them and headed back into the barn.

"I suppose you expect me to thank you for lying for me, don't you? Well forget it." Joe picked up his hat from the mud.

"I'd expect a thanks from any decent person, but that leaves you out, doesn't it!" Annie was struggling to hold back her tears. She ran into the house and into her room. She yanked off her dress, threw it in the corner and fell onto her bed, unable to stop the tears.

 

"Mr. Cartwright! Mr. Cartwright!" Hop Sing called from the porch.

Ben came out from the barn. "What's wrong, Hop Sing?"

"Have you seen Miss Annie? She is supposed to help with lunch, but I cannot find her. I look in her room, but she not there."

"I haven't seen her since I picked her up out of the mud this morning. I'm sure she's not trying to skip out of chores already." He turned back to the barn. Adam, Hoss and Joe were coming out. "Boys, have you seen Annie?" He heard two "no, sirs" from Adam and Hoss. Joe just looked anywhere but at Pa. "Joseph," said Ben quietly. "Do you know where Annie is?" Joe shook his head.

"Joe, you bein' mean to her again?" Hoss asked. Ben strode over to where Joe was standing and grabbed his arm. "What does Hoss mean by 'again?" he demanded. Joe just shrugged. Hoss stepped closer. "Joe's not happy 'bout Annie bein' here, and he hasn't hid it from her. He's mad 'cuz you went to town without him yesterday." Joe looked at Hoss, astonished. He didn't think Hoss would tattle so quickly.

Pa looked at Joe sharply. "Annie didn't just slip in the mud this morning, did she?" Joe looked at his feet. Ben shook the boy slightly. "Did she?" Joe shook his head and whispered something. "I can't hear you. Look at me while I'm talking to you!"

"No, sir. She didn't slip. We were arguing, and I guess I accidentally pushed her."

"Do you know where she is?" Ben put his other hand under Joe's chin and forced him to look up.

Joe gestured with his arm. "I saw her going that way a couple of hours ago."

Ben let go of Joe's chin and shook his finger at him. "You just let her go. You know she doesn't know this area, and you just let her go. Joseph Francis Cartwright, I am ashamed of you right now." He spun Joe around in the direction of the barn. "You go saddle up and get ready to look for her. We'll continue this discussion later, but I assure you, it'll be the last time you want to saddle up for a while." He propelled Joe along with a hard swat. "Now, go!" He watched Joe run into the barn and then turned to Hoss and Adam.

"You want we should saddle up too, Pa?" Hoss asked. Ben nodded. "Saddle my horse, too, Hoss. Hop Sing, could you please get me the emergency kit? Annie may be hurt."

The four Cartwrights rode out. Joe was feeling very guilty. Annie's last words were ringing in his head. What kind of rotten cousin was he? Annie was right. It's not like she wanted her pa to die. He thought back to when Ma had died. He felt so lonely and sad, and he still had his Pa and his brothers. Annie truly was alone. She had no one. No, that wasn't quite true, she had her uncle and her cousins. But Joe sure hadn't made her feel like that, did he? No, he went out of his way to make her feel unwelcome and now she had run off. He looked at Pa. Pa sure didn't look any less angry and worried than he had before. Joe was going to get it for sure, but he figured it was what he had coming to him. He deserved the worst tanning of his life, and he suspected Pa was just mad enough to give it to him.

Ben reined his horse to a halt. Adam, Hoss and Joe stopped next to him. "Boys, I think we're going to need to split up. Adam, you go that way. Hoss, you look down by the river. Joseph, you go up that hill. We'll meet back here in an hour." Each of the Cartwrights rode off in different directions.

Annie sat under the giant Ponderosa pine. She had walked for what seemed like hours and now she was lost. She didn't know where to go. Joe made it pretty clear that she couldn't stay at the Ponderosa, but she had nowhere else she could go. She had no idea where her Uncle John was, and her ma didn't have any relations. Maybe she could go back to San Diego and live with Concetta. Why did Joe have to be so hateful? She thought she'd like it at the Ponderosa. Uncle Ben seemed to care about her, and so did Adam and Hoss. Even Hop Sing was pleasant to her. It was just Joe who didn't like her. She closed her eyes and began to doze.

Joe rode over the top of the hill and approached a stand of pines. He thought he could see something under one of them and he urged Paint on. As he got closer, he could see Annie, curled up asleep. She lifted her head as he approached. "What do you want?"

"We're lookin' for you Annie. Pa's all worried 'cuz you went off." Joe dismounted and stood in front of her. "Annie."

"I'm not a tattletale you know. I didn't tell your Pa that you pushed me in the mud, and I bet he'd be mad if he found out. Boys aren't supposed to hit girls."

Joe looked sheepish. "He figured it out. Hoss told him how mean I've been to you, and he figures I'm the reason you ran off. He's real mad at me." Joe paused, and knelt down. "Am I?"

"Are you what?"

"Am I the reason you ran off?"

Annie shrugged. "I don't know. I guess. I don't know where to go. I just miss my pa so much. You don't know what it's like." She buried her face in her hands and started to cry.

Joe put his arm around her, awkwardly at first. "Yeah, I do," Joe said softly. "I mean, I don't know what it's like without a pa, but I sure know how I felt when Ma died. IŠI remember how much Pa took care of me, how much Adam and Hoss took care of me. I remember how lonely I was, how lonely I still am sometimes." Joe sniffed, and rubbed the back of his sleeve over his eyes. "Annie, I'm real sorry I treated you mean. Won't you please come back?"

"You're just saying that because you know Uncle Ben's gonna tan you if I don't."

Joe grimaced. "I think he's gonna if you come back, too. I'm saying it because I want you to come back. Please?"

"I don't know. You promise no more mice in my shoes?"

"If you promise no more mice in my milk."

Annie giggled. "That wasn't me, that was the cat, remember?" She stuck out her hand. "Deal. No more mice."

Joe took her hand and shook it. "Deal." He pulled her up. "Come on, Pa's gonna be waitin' for us, and I don't want him any madder than he is." He climbed up on Paint and held his hand out to Annie. She grabbed it and he pulled her up behind him.

Ben, Adam and Hoss were waiting at the meeting place. "Where's your brother? He's in enough trouble with me. If I have to go looking for him, too, he'll be very sorry."

Adam pointed. "Here he comes, Pa, and he's got Annie with him." Ben exhaled loudly. "Thank you" he said, looking up at the sky. Joe and Annie rode up to the others. Ben held up his hand. "Not a word. We'll talk at home."

When they got back to the house, Joe helped Annie down, and slid down after her. Ben dismounted next to them, and handed the reins to Adam. "Hoss, you take Paint. Joseph, go to your room. I'll be in shortly."

Joe turned, and headed into the house, shoulders slumped, head bowed. Annie put her hand on Ben's arm. "Uncle Ben? Please don't punish Joe. He didn't mean anything."

"Anna Marie, let's go sit on the porch. I think we need to talk first." Annie looked at her uncle. She was so busy trying to think of a way to get Joe out of trouble that it didn't occur to her that she might be in trouble for running away.

She stood in front of Ben who had sat down on the bench. "Uncle Ben, I'm very sorry I ran off and worried you." He patted the seat next to him and she sat. "Why did you do it then?"

"I was upset and I wanted to think."

"Joseph upset you, didn't he? You should have come to me and told me that he wasn't being nice."

"Like I told Joe, I'm not a tattletale. I just needed some time to think."

"Annie, in this house we don't run away from problems. We talk about them, and solve them together. That's what families do and you're a part of this family. You running away from Joe didn't make things better, did it?"

Annie tilted her head. "Actually, I think it did make things better. When Joe found me, we talked and he apologized. I think he didn't really mean to make me feel bad, I think he was just confused. That's why I hope you won't punish him. Nothing bad happened, no one got hurt."

"He pushed you down, didn't he? He knows better than to fight with a girl."

"I may have accidentally pushed him first." She bit her lower lip. "And, Uncle Ben, I put the mouse in his milk, and he knew it. That might have made him mad. I was just trying to get him back for putting the mouse in my shoe. So, I guess it's as much my fault as it is his."

Ben looked down at her. "Sounds to me like you were both causing trouble. Why shouldn't I punish you, too?"

Annie looked miserable. "I guess that would only be fair," she admitted.

Ben looked thoughtful. "Maybe this one time I can let it go. Mind, I won't be so easy going next time, so no more trouble." Annie nodded quickly in understanding. "Remember Annie, you are as much a part of this family as Joe or Adam or Hoss. If you have a problem, you need to talk to us about it. We're here to help you." Annie threw her arms around him and kissed him on his cheek. He returned the hug, then gently turned her towards the barn. "Go see if your cousins need help in there. I need to go speak with Joe. Don't worry, I won't punish him."

Ben paused before opening the bunkroom door. Joe had been sitting on his bed, but jumped up when Ben came in the room. He looked at Ben briefly, then looked at his feet.

"I'm sorry, Pa. I guess I'm in for a tannin' now."

Ben sat in the chair and beckoned Joe over. He took Joe's hand and looked at his tear streaked face. "What are you sorry for Joseph?"

"I was real mean to Annie, I didn't want her here. I put the mouse in her shoe to scare her, and I pushed her down in the mud. If you hadn't come along, I was gonna hit her." The words rushed out of Joe, and he looked up at Pa. Pa didn't seem as mad as he was before. "I didn't want Annie here 'cuz you were spending a lot of time with her. But I really am sorry and I told her so."

Ben nodded. "I know. Annie told me. In fact, she asked that I not punish you. What do you think about that?"

Joe's eyes brimmed with tears. "Honestly Pa? I feel worse. She could have told on me when I pushed her down, and she sure didn't have to ask you not to punish me. She didn't ask her pa to die, she didn't ask to come live here. I wish I could make it up to her."

Ben drew Joe into a hug. "I think you can, Joseph. Just be her friend. That's what she needs, and you two have a lot in common. If you give her a chance, I think you'll have a lot of fun. I'm still your pa, and we'll still do things, just you and me. Annie needs me a little more right now, but I'm here whenever you need me. Understand?"

Joe straightened and nodded. "Good. Then run along and play with Annie. Lunch will be ready soon." Ben and Joe left the bunkroom and headed out the front door. Joe saw Annie coming out of the barn and he ran towards her. The two stopped and talked for a minute and then ran off again towards the corral. Ben yelled after them "You two stay away from that horse!"