An Early Bloomer

By Marion

 

Rated G, with the usual disclaimers (I didn't invent any of the characters except for Annie.)

Special thanks to Nancy for her help and encouragement…

 

Annie looked in the mirror and frowned. That little mirror sure didn't show much. Maybe she could ask for a larger one someday, but Uncle Ben might see that as a vanity. She angled the mirror to look down at her legs, but finally gave up in disgust. Sighing, she put the mirror down, smoothed out a few wrinkles in her dress and, squaring her shoulders, she headed for her bedroom door.

No one was in the main room as she entered, but Hop Sing was in the corner finishing breakfast preparations. He eyed her, but didn't say anything. Annie hurried through setting the table and sat down just before her uncle and cousins came in from doing barn chores. They sat down just as Hop Sing was placing the platter of pancakes on the table. Annie and Joe ate quietly as Ben, Adam and Hoss discussed the chores that needed to be done that day.

Annie looked around nervously. It was time to clear the table and she could only do that by standing up. She slowly stood and picked up her plate. As she walked away from the table, all conversation stopped. She placed her dish on the washbasin and turned to see everyone staring at her.

"Is something wrong?" She looked at her Uncle Ben, who was frowning at her.

"What is that you are wearing?"

Annie gathered all her courage. "I just made them, do you like them? They're called bloomers and they're very practical." She looked down at legs, encased in baggy striped bloomers, gathered at the ankles.

Ben shook his head slowly. "I think they are not appropriate for a young lady."

Annie smoothed her dress nervously. "Uncle Ben, I have to do outside chores today, and this is more practical. I'm not going anywhere off the ranch. No one will see me but family." She chewed her lip as she watched her uncle lean forward.

"Annie, please go change."

"Uncle Ben, really. I think you're being very old-fashioned." She could see Hoss's eyes almost bug out of his head. Her uncle stood up straight.

"Anna Marie, go change your clothes now."

Annie held out her hand beseechingly. "Uncle Ben…"

Ben's hands flew to his hips. "Are you defying me?"

Annie was staring at her uncle, but out of the corner of her eye she could see Adam shaking his head slightly. Defiance was the ultimate crime in Ben Cartwright's eyes, and one that brought the most severe punishment down on the defiant child.

Annie weighed the probable punishment against her need to assert herself and shook her head. "No, sir," she almost whispered. "I'll go change now." She waited for her uncle to nod in dismissal before she stalked to her room. She slammed the door behind her and stomped to her bed.

"I have half a mind to stay in my room all day" Annie muttered. Good sense quickly overcame her, however, and she pulled off the bloomers. She looked at the dress she had been wearing over the bloomers. It was one she was outgrowing, which is what gave her the idea to make the bloomers in the first place. She decided she'd be better off changing that, too, and pulled it over her head. A few minutes later, changed, but decidedly not in a better mood, Annie threw open her bedroom door. She wasn't surprised to see her uncle standing outside the door, arms crossed, looking impatient. He reached out and grabbed her arm.

"The next time you slam that door, I will take it off the hinges. Am I clear?"

Annie looked up at him. "Yeah."

Ben gave her a little shake. "Yeah?"

She looked at him from the tops of her eyes. "Yes, sir."

"You'll stay in the yard today and do chores. If you finish your chores, I'm sure Hop Sing will have more for you. If not, you will sit at this table. No reading, no sewing, just sit. I won't be back until lunchtime. You may be sure we will continue this discussion then. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir."

Annie alternated between sulking and fuming all morning. She was rude to Hop Sing, who responded by cracking a wooden spoon over her head, she ignored Joe, who was busy making fun of her bloomers and she told Hoss to shut up when he tried to talk to her. Finally, no one would speak with her, which was fine with her. She knew her uncle would more than make up for the silence when he got home.

 

Ben and Adam were riding into town. Adam looked at his father, who had not spoken since they left the house. "You know," he said, "sometimes Annie reminds me of Ma."

Startled out of his thoughts, Ben looked at Adam. "Oh?"

"That outfit this morning – how many times did you and Ma discuss ladies' clothes on the trail?"

Ben smiled at the memories of Marie and their spirited discussions. "You'll notice she never wore trousers, though, she always wore a dress. A lady's reputation is important."

"Is that why you made Annie change her bloomers? I've read about them. They haven't caught on, but some ladies do wear them. I've even seen some ladies on the wagon trains that go through here wearing them."

Ben cocked an eyebrow at his son. "And how long have you been an expert on ladies' fashions?" He snickered when Adam turned red. "Respectable ladies do not wear trousers, or bloomers or whatever they call them. Please, Adam, don't help your cousin on this."

"I won't say a word about it to her, Pa."

When they reached town, Adam went to the store to see if his new books had arrived while his father went to see Big Dan about a problem they were having with a cougar. When Adam got to the store, Ruth handed him a package along with the books. "This is for Annie, could you give it to her?" Adam nodded and took the books and the package.

"I wonder what this is? No return address. Maybe it's from a friend in California." He shrugged and put most of the books and the package in his saddlebag. He sat on a bench outside the store, opened one of his new books and waited for Ben.

 

Annie continued to bang around the kitchen, not caring how she treated anything until a hand came down on top of her hand and stilled it. She looked up into Hop Sing's eyes.

"I am not the one who made you mad. Please stop being angry with me."

Annie blushed, embarrassed at how she had been treating her friend. "I'm sorry, Hop Sing. It's just, well, I had plans today that didn't include doing chores the whole time."

"Next time you have such plans, I suggest you not anger your uncle first thing."

Annie grinned ruefully. "He's just being old-fashioned." She paused at Hop Sing's look of confusion. "That means he is doing things the old way, not paying attention to the new ways."

Hop Sing nodded. "Old ways are not always bad." Annie smiled. She and Hop Sing had often talked about China and its ancient traditions.

"But they're not always good, either, Hop Sing. I hate to wear dresses outside when I'm working. They get wrapped around things, they blow up in the air, I have to be careful if I'm bending over or crawling on the ground." Annie looked at Hop Sing thoughtfully. "You know, I've seen Chinese ladies in California who wore trousers, like the ones you wear. What do you think of my bloomers?"

Hop Sing took his hand off Annie's and turned away. "I think I do not wish to become involved in your argument with your uncle."

Annie smiled. "Coward!" she said but Hop Sing knew she was teasing.

 

Annie and Hop Sing were working in the garden, breaking up dirt clods when Ben and Adam returned. After dismounting, Ben handed the reins to Adam and walked towards the garden.

"Looks good. Will it be ready for planting soon, Hop Sing?"

Hop Sing stood and brushed the dirt from his hands and knees. "I think very soon. Annie has been working very hard." At the sound of her name, Annie stood and tried brushing the dirt from her dress.

Ben nodded. "I need to borrow your helper for a while, Hop Sing. Annie, please wash up and come see me inside." He turned and walked towards the house.

Annie watched her uncle's retreating back. "Yes, sir." She looked at Hop Sing, who smiled encouragingly.

"Elders deserve respect from children. Your uncle expects no less. You would do well to remember this." Annie nodded and headed towards the bucket on the porch. A few minutes later, she opened the door to the house.

"You wanted to talk to me, Uncle Ben?" Annie closed the door carefully behind her. Ben looked up from his seat at the table, ledger books spread in front of him. She winced when she saw the books. Uncle Ben was never in a good mood when he worked on the books. Ben stood and walked to the fireplace. He leaned on the mantle and gestured for Annie to come towards him.

" I think we have several things to discuss, don't you?"

Annie stood in front of him and looked up. "I guess you're mad about the bloomers this morning. But, Uncle Ben, I really think..." He held up his hand to stop her.

"We'll talk about that in a minute. First I want to talk about the way you acted when I told you to do something."

Annie shifted nervously from foot to foot. "Oh."

"Oh. You argued with me and then you slammed the door. You know better than that, don't you?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then why did you do it?"

"Honestly?"

That word again. Ben almost smiled. "I always prefer honesty, Annie."

Annie took a deep breath. "I was angry because I thought you were being unreasonable. I don't understand why you didn't like the bloomers and you wouldn't listen to me explain. You decided they weren't decent and that was it. But, Uncle Ben, I'm the one who has to wear them. It should be my decision."

Ben looked at her thoughtfully. "Let me ask you something. You decided to make those bloomers without asking me what I thought before hand, without asking permission."

"I wasn't sneaking around. I never ask about clothes that I'm going to make." Ben raised his finger to stop her.

"Then why were you sitting at the table before anyone came into the house? Weren't you hiding them?" Annie shrugged. "You were looking nervous all through breakfast. I think you knew that I would disapprove." Annie looked at the floor and shrugged again. Ben raised her chin and looked into her eyes. "You decided it would be easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission."

"Uncle Ben, that's not true." But Annie's voice didn't carry much conviction.

"No? Where did you sew them?"

Annie looked at her feet again. "In my room."

"Why?" She shrugged. "You were hiding them from me, weren't you?" Annie shrugged again.

"But, Uncle Ben, I still don't think you're being fair!"

"We're not talking about the bloomers right now."

Annie looked confused. "We're not?"

Ben rubbed his hand over his face. "No, we're talking about you doing something that you knew I wouldn't approve of, and we're talking about your behavior after I told you to do something. When I tell you to do something, what should your response be?"

Annie grimaced. "I should say, 'yes sir' or 'yes, Uncle Ben' and then do what I'm told."

"Exactly. And did you do that?"

"No, Uncle Ben."

"No, you didn't. You argued, then slammed the door and I'm guessing you spent the morning slamming things around after I left." Annie colored slightly and Ben knew he was right. "I will not tolerate that and you know it. You got off lightly with extra chores, and you know that, too, don't you?"

"Yes, sir, and I'm sorry for being disrespectful."

"Very well, I accept your apology. But, Annie, you won't get off so lightly next time, remember that."

"Yes, Uncle Ben."

Ben crossed over to the sofa and gestured to the chair next to him. Annie sat down, sighing with relief because the lecture was over. "All right, then, let's talk about the bloomers."

"I saw them in a newspaper that Mrs. Greene gave me and I read that some ladies back East are wearing them. They seem very practical, Uncle Ben, especially when I'm doing chores outside. They aren't disreputable."

"Young ladies do not wear trousers, Annie. It's not proper."

"Why not?"

"Because ladies who wear trousers are not ladies and they gain a reputation that I do not want you to have." Ben shifted slightly.

Annie struggled to not smile. Uncle Ben hated having these conversations with her and she was enjoying his discomfort. Best not to let him see that, though, or his discomfort would quickly become her discomfort! She schooled her expression carefully. "What do you mean, Uncle Ben?" He shifted again.

"Gentlemen are not interested in ladies who wear bloomers."

Annie struggled harder. "Shel-er, Miss Sterritt wears trousers. You like her fine enough."

"Well, yes, but, much as I like Miss Sterritt, hers is not a way of life that I would chose for you."

Annie nodded. "I see what you're saying, Uncle Ben. If I wear bloomers, then nice boys won't want to marry me."

"Exactly." Ben relaxed noticeably.

"But I'm only going to wear them in the yard to do chores. I'm not planning to marry one of my cousins, and they're the only ones who would see me." Ben tensed again.

"Anna I am your uncle and you must mind me. You are not wearing bloomers and that is all I am going to say about the matter."

Annie sighed. She knew if she said anything else she would be pushing her luck. "Yes, sir."

 

Annie went looking for Hoss, to apologize for being rude to him in the morning. Being Hoss, he brushed off the apology with a "don't worry about it." She decided she didn't need to apologize to Joe as he teased her first. She had already apologized to Hop Sing and Uncle Ben. She didn't think she owed Adam an apology, but she wanted to talk to him anyway.

She found him coming in from the barn, books and package in hand. "Hey, Annie, I was just about to come find you. Is it safe to come in the house? Need a pillow for lunch?"

Annie scuffed the dirt with her shoe. "Yes, it's safe, no, I don't." She wrinkled her nose. "Adam, what do you think of bloomers?"

He raised his free hand in protest. "Oh, no you don't. You're not getting me involved." He held out the package addressed to her. "Package for you. Mrs. Orowitz gave it to me."

Annie took the package and looked it over, puzzled. "I wonder who is sending something to me. It's not Concetta's handwriting and she is the only one I could think of, unless it's from your grandfather, but he would put his name on the front." She stared at it for a minute.

"Well, you're never going to know if you don't open." Adam headed into the house and Annie followed him, still looking at the package. She stood by the table and ripped it open. A letter, a document and a slim book slipped out. Annie picked up the letter as Adam tried to see the book's title.

"Oh, my, I can't believe she wrote back!" Annie gaped at her letter, then glanced at the book.

"Who?" Adam was frustrated at not being able to get to the book.

"Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I wrote to her a few months ago, I can't believe she wrote back!"

"You wrote to Elizabeth Cady Stanton? Does Pa know that?"

"Now I need Uncle Ben's permission to write letters, too?"

Unfortunately for Annie, her uncle chose that moment to come in the house.

"What's going on?" The two cousins whirled towards him.

"Annie's getting letters from radicals, Pa." Ben looked sharply at Adam, then raised an eyebrow at Annie, who was glaring at Adam.

"I wrote to Elizabeth Cady Stanton a few months ago, Uncle Ben, she's hardly radical. I had read about a women's rights convention in an old newspaper. Mrs. Stanton was one of the organizers, but the newspaper didn't say if it had happened or not. I wrote to her to ask her if the convention had been held and what happened there. She sent me this monograph, Report of the Women's Rights Convention, held at Seneca Falls. She also sent me a proclamation that I guess must have been issued at the convention called the Declaration of Sentiments. I don't know what they say, I just opened the package."

"Adam, would you excuse us please?" Annie was confused. She didn't know what she had done to make her uncle look angry. Adam grinned and left the room. Truth be told, he would have preferred to stay to hear the argument he knew was about to ensue.

Annie turned to her uncle, hands on hips. "What did I do now?" she demanded to know. She quickly added "sir" when she saw the look on her uncle's face.

"I would like to know why you are writing to Mrs. Stanton."

Annie rolled her eyes. "I just explained that. I was curious about something." Ben was quick to pick up on her condescending tone.

"I thought we just discussed speaking to me with respect."

Annie threw up her hands. "What's the point?" She turned on her heel, picked up her package and stalked into her room before Ben could react. She slammed the door and Ben could hear the bolt slide shut. He walked to the door and tried the knob. She had locked him out.

"Anna Marie, you unlock this door right now!"

Silence.

"Anna, you will be one sorry little girl if I have to break this door open."

Silence.

Ben stormed out of the house, his sons and Hop Sing scattering at the sight of him. He stormed into the barn and grabbed an axe. He stormed back into the house, the rest of the family following timidly behind him. When he got back into the house, he found that Annie's bedroom door was open and she was sitting very meekly on the bed. She looked at him with tearful eyes.

"Eric?"

Hoss jumped when his father called him. "Yes, sir?"

"Get me a hammer and a chisel." Ben's eyes never left Annie.

"Yes, sir." Hoss returned in a minute with the requested tools and Ben proceeded to remove Annie's door from its hinges. He never spoke to her, just took the tools and the door outside. Annie just sat on the bed, and watched. After he left the house, Adam turned to look at her. He just shook his head and the boys left the house.

Annie sat on her bed; she didn't know what to do. When she looked out the window and saw Uncle Ben coming out of the barn with the axe, she knew she had to open the door before he got to it. She was frightened by the fact that he wouldn't speak to her. She sniffed, then picked up her journal and started writing. When was she going to learn?

Annie stayed in her room until she heard Hop Sing calling everyone for lunch. She waited until her uncle and cousins came in and sat at the table. She stood in her doorway, unsure if she should come out or not.

"Anna, do not keep Hop Sing waiting." Ben gestured towards her seat and she scurried over.

The meal was spent talking about how they were going to catch the cougar that had been bothering their cattle. No one spoke to Annie until everyone was done eating. Her uncle looked at her expectantly.

"Anna, do you have enough chores to occupy your time until supper?" His tone was flat, and she couldn't tell if he was still angry with her, but she couldn't imagine he wasn't.

"Yes, sir." Her voice was barely audible. He nodded and left the table with Adam and Hoss in tow. Joe soon followed. He had the afternoon free and he was going to Mitch's. Annie was supposed to go with him, but now, of course, she didn't expect to be getting off the ranch anytime soon.

Annie spent the afternoon working hard. She finished getting the garden ready for planting, she helped Hop Sing with dinner and she even started her cousins' barn chores. She figured she had a long way to go to get back into her uncle's good graces and she'd best get started.

Supper was the same as lunch and no one spoke to her. Annie found the atmosphere oppressive, but didn't know what to do. When she was done with the dishes she stood by her uncle.

"Are you done?"

"Yes, sir."

"Then you are excused to bed. I will see you in a few minutes."

Annie gulped. "Yes, sir." She hurried into her room and changed her clothes in the corner, so no one could see her. She quickly said her prayers and sat on the edge of the bed, waiting. When her uncle came into the room Annie jumped up immediately and watched him cross over to her. She looked at his face, she knew he would expect her to be standing and she wasn't going to make him any angrier.

He stared at her for a few minutes, until she thought she would shake apart from the trembling. She wasn't afraid of him exactly, although she knew from experience that his tannings hurt. She was afraid of what he would say, and she was ashamed of how she behaved.

When he finally spoke, his voice was so quiet she had to strain to hear him. "You will never lock me out of a room in my own house again, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"You are restricted until I decide otherwise. I will keep your door until I decide you deserve it back. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

He nodded and turned towards the doorway.

"Uncle Ben?" He turned back to her. "I'm sorry, Uncle Ben."

He looked at her and nodded slowly. "You should be. We'll talk again tomorrow."

 

The fire was burning low. Ben and Adam were both up late; they had been discussing plans for the herd, but had fallen into a comfortable silence. Suddenly Ben was aware of Adam's eyes on him.

"Something on your mind, son?" Adam just shrugged slightly. Ben smiled; he knew what was bothering his eldest son. "You think I was too easy on Annie this afternoon."

"Well, Pa, you have to admit, if I had done anything like that, I wouldn't be sitting comfortably in church tomorrow."

Ben nodded - he knew Adam was right. He thought a few moments, then looked up at Adam. "I suppose you're right, Adam. It's just, well, it's different with a girl. Somehow it's harder to punish her the way I do you boys. Then again, maybe I've just gotten more imaginative in my old age. I think the loss of her privacy will be a far greater punishment for Annie than a tanning would be. Of course, when I punished you or Hoss, you'd both behave for a long while afterwards. Annie's not like that." Adam shrugged as Ben stood and stretched. "Well, I'm off to bed. Don't stay up too much longer, Adam. Good night."

"I'm just going to finish a reading assignment from Mr. Taylor. Good night, Pa."

 

Annie woke early the next morning. With no door to her room, the noises Hop Sing made were louder than usual. She got dressed quickly and hurried out to help him. He looked a little surprised, then smiled. She heard her uncle's door open and she felt his hand on her shoulder. She turned and he gave her a kiss.

"Good morning, Annie."

Annie almost cried. "Uncle Ben, about yesterday, I'm very sorry."

He put his arm around her. "I know you are. You've been punished and I accept your apology. Remember, you're restricted until I say otherwise."

She nodded. "Yes sir."

"Now let's get these lazy boys up so we can go to church."

 

Annie took special care to behave in church that morning. She didn’t fidget once, and didn't even smile when little Tommy Lee made embarrassing noises behind her. She was sure Uncle Ben would notice how attentive she was, and he did. He smiled down at her as they waited to leave the service.

They were just about to get into the wagon to go home when Mr. Taylor stopped them. "Good morning, Ben, boys, Annie. Ben, I was wondering if you were going to be home today. I have something I need to discuss with you." Annie and Joe looked at each other nervously. Neither could remember getting into any trouble on Friday. Mr. Taylor must have noticed the look, because he quickly assured Ben that neither child was in trouble, he just needed to discuss something. Ben invited Mr. Taylor to dinner and then they headed home.

Annie was the one chosen to recite the lesson and sermon for the day, and all three boys looked relieved to be off the hook. Uncle Ben was pleased with her recitation and consequently everyone was in a good mood when Mr. Taylor arrived for dinner.

They had no sooner sat down than Adam asked Annie. "So, Annie, did you read the books Elizabeth Cady Stanton sent you?'' He ignored his father's glare.

Mr. Taylor looked at Annie, surprised. "Mrs. Stanton is sending things to you?"

Annie nodded. "Yes, sir. Well, I wrote to her first. I had read about the Seneca Falls Convention but the newspaper was old, and the convention hadn't happened yet. I wanted to know if it had, and she was listed as an organizer. She sent me some books."

"And have you read them?" Mr. Taylor smiled as Annie nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes, well, that is, I read the Declaration of Sentiments. I haven't had a chance to read the whole report on the convention."

"What did you think of the Declaration?"

Annie looked at Mr. Taylor, surprised. She couldn't believe he was interested in the Declaration. "Well, it was modeled after the Declaration of Independence." Mr. Taylor nodded, as if he knew the answer. "You knew that?"

"I was at the Convention."

Annie's eyes almost popped out of her head. "You were? What was it like? Did you see Mrs. Stanton? How about Fredrick Douglass? What was he like?"

Mr. Taylor laughed. "First I want to know what you thought of the Declaration. Maybe later we'll talk about the Convention."

Ben and his sons sat silently, almost forgotten by Annie and her teacher. "Well, sir, I think it made a lot of sense." He gestured for her to continue. "I remember one part, it said:

  • Such has been the patient sufferance of the women under this government, and such is now the necessity which constrains them to demand the equal station to which they are entitled.

    The history of mankind is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations on the part of man toward woman, having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over her.

  • Then it listed the facts, that men don't let women vote, that women can't go to college, that they can't own property. I don’t know, it just made a lot of sense to me."

    Joe snorted. "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."

    Annie looked at him. " When you turn 21, you'll be able to vote for the laws that govern you. I won't be able to, just because I was born a woman. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard."

    "Yeah, well girls are supposed to do girl work, like cooking and cleaning and stuff and leave the hard work to us men."

    Annie smiled sweetly and looked toward Hop Sing. "That reminds me, thank you for a delicious meal, Hop Sing."

    Hop Sing shook his head. "Please, keep me out of your argument."

    "Well, I meant that girls just can't do everything that boys can do!" Joe was so agitated that he almost stood up.

    "Like what?"

    "Like, like, well, you can't ride a bronc!"

    "Neither can you, or Uncle Ben would have your hide." Annie's voice rose shrilly to match Joe's.

    "Yeah, but when I'm 21, I'll be riding those broncs and voting." Joe crossed his arms and smiled maliciously.

    Annie pushed back her chair and was about to retort when her uncle touched her arm lightly. "I think that's enough arguing. Annie, you don't think I'm an absolute tyrant over you, do you?" Annie tried hard not to smile as all three boys snickered.

    Mr. Taylor jumped in. "But Ben, the law gives you the right to be, if you want to be, and that's what the women's rights movement is all about."

    The conversation went no further as Hop Sing announced that it was time for dessert. The conversation moved to the weather and to the possibility of Mr. Taylor buying one of the new horses that Adam had just broken. After dinner, Ben and Mr. Taylor took their coffee to the front porch.

    The two men settled onto the benches and stretched their legs. "John, I have to admit, I'm surprised by your vehemence in support of women's rights."

    "Well, Ben, I suppose that comes from my family history. You'll remember that I told you my brother is raising my niece, much as you are with Annie? The girl is my sister's daughter by her first husband. My sister and her first husband built up a thriving business, based as much on her hard work and sacrifice as his. After he died, she remarried. Her new husband seemed a decent fellow, but we soon found out otherwise. He was a gambler and he kept other women. He soon drove the business into the ground, sold it and left with the proceeds, leaving my sister destitute. Legally there was nothing we could do, as her property became his upon her marriage. I hate to think what would have happened if she didn't have my brother and I to turn to. She died shortly after and her daughter was left with nothing.

    "So, you see Ben, not all men are as decent and honorable as you. Just as Annie said, the law gave my brother-in-law the right to be an absolute tyrant. If the law had been different, my sister would have been able to divorce her second husband or at the very least, she would have retained control over her business. How can I in good conscience not believe in women's equality?"

    Both men sat quietly for a few minutes until Mr. Taylor shifted in his seat.

    "Anyway, Ben, I didn't come here to tell you why I support women's rights. I came to talk about Annie."

    Ben frowned. "What has she done now?"

    Mr. Taylor laughed. "She's ahead of her class and she's just about finished the school curriculum, that's what she's done."

    Ben looked startled. "She what?"

    "Ben, Annie's a bright young woman, and your brother taught her quite a bit. She's actually learned everything that this school can teach her. I came to speak to you about the next step in her education. Normally, girls finish school at 15 or 16 if they even get that far, and that's it. Occasionally they go on to finishing school to learn about the 'finer things in life.' Obviously there is no finishing school in Eagle Station. If you wanted that for her, you would have to send her away."

    Ben looked pained. Even though Annie had only been with him for under a year, he had grown to love her and he would miss her if she were gone. Mr. Taylor continued.

    "May I be totally frank with you, Ben?" Ben nodded.

    "I think that sending Annie to finishing school would be a terrible waste. She's not like the girls who would be there, and I think she would hate it. She has enough trouble some days spending the day in my classroom. She should go to college, but she's too young. There are colleges that accept women, though. Mt. Holyoke in Massachusetts and Oberlin in Ohio, and it's something you may want to consider for her future."

    "You sound like you have something to propose."

    "I do. I know from talking to you and to Adam that you have great plans for the Ponderosa. Someday it will be a thriving business and you'll need someone to help you run it. I think Annie could be that someone. When I was done sailing I worked for several years as a clerk in a law firm back East and I know bookkeeping and a fair amount about law. I would like to propose that I teach Annie to keep the books of a business, as well as of a household, and that I teach her the rudiments of business and contract law. I would also like to teach her some of the academic subjects she would need to go to college, such as literature and ancient and European history, much the same subjects I am teaching with Adam just in case she wants to go someday."

    Ben nodded thoughtfully. "How much would this cost?"

    "The cost of the textbooks and a teaching fee. The same fee that you paid when I tutored Annie on the weekends would be sufficient. I would work with her during the school day as time permits and perhaps on the weekend or after school. The textbook cost would be minimal as she and Adam could share many of the books."

    Ben thought a few minutes, then nodded. "Let me talk to Annie about it. She may want to go away to school, although I don't know what I'd do without her. She's certainly added a different character to this house."

    "Ben, are you opposed to her learning about women's rights? If you are, I won't discuss it with her."

    Ben raised his arm in protest. "I'm not opposed to women's rights; even if I had been at one time in my foolish youth, I have had three wives who would have changed my mind, forcibly if need be. It's funny, Adam was just telling me how much Annie reminded him of Joe's mother. Marie was quick to point out the injustice of how women were treated by society. Annie is as passionate as Marie ever was. My only concern is that she will forget there is a difference between adults and children. What I accepted from my wife I might not accept from my niece."

    "She certainly doesn't hold back, does she?"

    Ben frowned again. "She's not causing trouble in school, is she?"

    Mr. Taylor stood. "You'll be the first to know if she steps over the line. Now, I must be heading home. Let me go thank Hop Sing for a delicious meal. I will expect to see you soon."

     

    Shortly after Mr. Taylor left, Ben asked Hoss to saddle Buck and then he went to look for Annie. He found her with Hop Sing, discussing the seeds they needed to plant. Annie was arguing for tomatillos, cilantro, chili peppers and tomatoes.

    Hop Sing looked skeptical. "Where will we get the seeds for these?"

    Annie sat back, frustrated. "I know, I'll ask one of the vaqueros at Mrs. Greene's. I bet one of their wives has the seeds. Trust me, Hop Sing; you'll love the food Concetta taught me to cook. I'll ride over there after school tomorrow to ask."

    Ben smiled as he placed his hands on Annie's shoulders. "You've forgotten already?"

    Annie jumped; she didn't know he was behind her. "Forgotten what, Uncle Ben?" In answer, her uncle pointed to her doorway. "Oh." Annie frowned, then brightened. "I'll ask Hoss to ask the next time he visits Tess."

    Ben patted her shoulder. "C'mon. I want to go for a ride with you." Annie stood, grabbed her shawl and followed him out the door, looking worried.

    Ben swung himself onto Buck, then held his hand out to Annie. "Front or back?"

    "Front, please." Annie grabbed his hand, and he pulled her onto the saddle in front of him. Joe considered riding in front to be a baby way to ride double, but Annie loved the feel of her uncle's arms around her. Ben urged Buck on, and they headed toward the lake.

    "How come I have to ride with you, Uncle Ben?"

    "You keep forgetting you're restricted. Riding for pleasure is a privilege you've lost for a while. Besides, I thought you liked riding with me."

    "I do." Annie leaned back against her uncle's chest. She fancied she could hear his heart beating. "Am I in more trouble?"

    "Do you think you are?"

    "Uncle Ben, why do you always answer a question with a question?" He just smiled down at her. "I don't think I'm in trouble, well, not any new trouble. I was wondering if this ride had anything to do with your talk with Mr. Taylor." Annie didn't remember getting into trouble at school, but sometimes it was hard to tell with adults.

    "Yes, but we'll talk about it at the Lake. You're not in any trouble." They rode on in silence, until they reached the lake. Ben stopped by the gravesite, and the two paid their respects to Marie and to Annie's parents. Then they walked a little further until Ben stopped to sit on a log near the lake's edge. Annie sat next to him and waited patiently.

    "Spring is beautiful here, isn't it?" Annie was surprised. Whatever it was that her uncle wanted to talk to her about, she was sure it wasn't going to be the seasons.

    "Yes, it is. Makes the winter worthwhile, I think. We didn't have seasons like this back in California."

    Ben put his arm around Annie and looked down at her. She looked back at him, a little concerned about the expression on his face. "Annie, are you happy here?"

    Annie almost panicked. She was sure that he was going to send her away because she had been so willful lately. "Uncle Ben, is something wrong?"

    Suddenly Ben realized that he was upsetting her. He pulled her gently into a hug. "No, no, sweetheart, nothing's wrong. I just want to know if you're happy here."

    "Except for missing my papa, I don't think I've ever been happier, Uncle Ben."

    "You like living with us, then? You don't wish you went away to boarding school?"

    "Boarding school? What a dreadful thought." Annie pulled herself away from her uncle and jumped up. "Uncle Ben, you're not going to send me away to boarding school because I locked the door, are you? If you are, I'll, I'll, I'll run away." Annie looked so defiant that Ben almost laughed. He pulled her back to the log.

    "Annie, I'm not going to make you go away to school. In fact, I'm relieved to hear that you don't want to go." Ben quickly recounted his conversation with Mr. Taylor. "So, what do you think?"

    Annie sat quietly for a few minutes. She stood and scooped up a few pebbles, which she skimmed across the water. Hoss had taught her and she was getting almost as good as he was. She watched the ripples as they formed an ever-widening circle, aware the whole time that her uncle was watching her. She turned to him.

    "All right, Uncle Ben."

    Ben was surprised. "That's it, all right?" Annie shrugged.

    "Yes, sir, that's it. All right."

     

    The next few days found Annie and Joe fighting constantly about what girls could or could not do. Ben, Adam, Hoss and even Hop Sing had to break up their arguments, which became quite loud. On Thursday afternoon, Mr. Taylor announced he wasn't feeling well, and he dismissed the school. He also told them there would be no school on Friday. Thursday was a beautiful day – the warmest day thus far. Annie, Joe, Mitch and Peggy quickly gathered outside. Mitch looked at his friends. "Hey, let's go fishing this afternoon!"

    Joe looked excited at the prospect until he saw Annie shake her head glumly. "I can't," she said.

    "C'mon Annie, you gotta. It won't be the same without you."

    "Joe, I can't. Remember?" Annie didn't want Mitch to find out she had been in trouble. When Joe looked confused, she sighed. "Remember, I'm restricted. If Uncle Ben finds out school got out early and I didn't come home, he'll be real angry."

    "He won't find out, Annie. C'mon!" Joe headed towards the horses.

    Annie grabbed his arm. "And what happens when we come home with a string of fish? Joe, he'll find out, you know he will. He always does. You go on without me."

    Annie rode home alone, lost in her thoughts. She was interested in what Mr. Taylor was going to teach her. She thought at last she had found a way that she could be useful on the Ponderosa. After all, she reasoned, she wasn't going to be able to be a cowboy, the way Joe and Hoss and Adam were. There was no way her uncle was going to let her ride broncs and go on round-ups. They didn't need her to cook and keep house – that's what Hop Sing did. Annie hoped that Uncle Ben would let her keep the ranch's books. He hated doing that job, and if she were good at it, it would be her way to contribute to the ranch. After all, Uncle Ben always stressed that everyone had to pull his or her own weight.

    Annie rode into the yard just as Ben came out of the barn. He rushed to her side, but she held up her hand to stop his questions. "I'm fine, Uncle Ben. Mr. Taylor had a bad headache and he let us go early. We don't have school tomorrow." She dismounted and started to lead her horse to the barn. Hoss hurried over and took the reins. "Thanks, Hoss."

    "Where's Joseph?" Annie turned to her uncle, who was frowning for some unknown reason.

    "He and Mitch went fishing. They asked me to come, but I figured I'd best come right home because I'm still restricted. Is something wrong, Uncle Ben?"

    "No, no. Good girl – go see if Hop Sing has some chores for you." Annie nodded and headed into the house, just as Adam came out the door. He looked at her, puzzled. She quickly explained what happened.

    "Pa's not too happy with Joe right now. He picked a bad day to go fishing. Pa had to do half Joe's chores this morning."

    Sure enough, Joe caught an earful from his father when he came home with his string of fish. The end result was that Joe was also restricted and would be spending Friday and Saturday doing extra chores.

    Adam and Hoss spent the entire dinnertime telling Joe how he was going to spend his next two days.

    "Yup, little brother. You'll be digging fence posts and helping us build that new corral up in the meadow. Gotta have it done before the calves start coming." Joe just glared at Hoss's jovial tone.

    "I don't know, Hoss, I think I'll need his help with the branding those new foals. Or are we going to finish the fencing and then start the branding?" Joe turned positively green at the thought of branding the horses. Finally Ben took pity on his youngest son when Annie started giggling.

    "Enough of that. Hop Sing, will you need Annie's help tomorrow?"

    Hop Sing nodded. "Tomorrow is wash day and I will also be making soap." Annie stopped giggling. There was only one chore she hated more than making soap and washing laundry. She absolutely detested ironing, and she knew Hop Sing hated it too. That's why she often got stuck with it.

    Hop Sing continued. "We will get up early, and Annie can do the ironing in the afternoon." He tried, unsuccessfully to hide his grin at the look on Annie's face. But, she knew she'd best not complain – after all it was her own fault that she had extra chores.

    Adam looked at his father. "Hey, Pa, did you hear about that little girl from the wagon train? She was out looking for kindling when she stepped over a rattler. It bit her on the inside of her thigh. Big Dan reckoned it killed her in minutes."

    Annie muttered, "If she'd been wearing bloomers that wouldn'ta happened."

    Ben looked at his niece. "Did you say something, Annie?"

    Annie looked up defiantly. "Yes, sir. I said, if she had been wearing bloomers or trousers the snake wouldn't have been able to bit her through the cloth. It's like I told you before..."

    Ben frowned. "Annie, we are not going to start that argument again. If you and Joe are finished, you can go finish the barn chores." He stood as Annie and Joe left the house. "She just doesn't give up, does she?" Adam followed his father out to the porch, coffee cups in hand, to enjoy the warm evening. They had just sat down when the peace was shattered by the sounds of Annie and Joe screaming at each other. Ben put down his coffee and got to the barn just in time to see Annie punch Joe hard in the stomach. Ben reached down, grabbed them both and gave them a shake. He let go of both of them and stood, hands on hips.

    The two children stood in front of him, both sniffling slightly and both holding their hands over their backsides. Neither dared look at him. "What was this fight about, as if I didn't know?"

    Annie and Joe glanced at each other, but neither wanted to speak. "Let me guess, it was over whose chores were harder to do. Am I right?" The two glanced at each other and then nodded slightly. Ben glared at the two. "When I ask a question, Joseph, I expect an answer I can hear. Am I right?""

    "Yes, sir." Ben could hear the answer, barely.

    "Anna, am I right?"

    Annie scuffed the dirt with her toe and looked up at her uncle. "Yes, sir, you're right. Joe started on..."

    Ben held up a warning finger. "I do not want to know what Joseph said. I do not want to know what you said. I have told you several times this week that I am tired of the fighting. Joseph, you will spend tomorrow doing Anna's chores." Joe looked up as if to protest, but one look at his father's face told him he was getting off easy. "Anna, you will spend tomorrow doing Joseph's chores." Now it was Adam's turn to look stricken.

    "Pa, I don't..."

    "Adam...." Adam sighed, but nodded his head.

    Ben turned his attention back to Joe and Annie. "If I hear one word of complaint from either of you, I promise that you will regret it. I have told you time and again to stop this bickering and you have ignored my orders. Are you done with your chores?"

    "Yes, sir." "Yes, sir."

    "Go to bed. Now." The two wasted no time in getting out of Ben's reach. Adam waited until they reached the porch before he turned to his father. "Pa, we're going to be building fences tomorrow. Annie's just going to get in the way."

    "She can work as hard as Joe can and if she doesn't, I want to know about it." Ben turned toward the house and Adam knew there was no point in arguing.

     

    Annie had just settled into bed when Ben came in to say good night. He held a small bundle, which he placed on top of her dresser.

    "What's that?"

    "A pair of Joe's trousers and a work shirt. It'll be easier for you to help with the fencing and the branding."

    "I can wear my bloomers."

    "You can wear these trousers this one time. Then you can go back to wearing your normal clothes." He bent down to give her a kiss goodnight.

    "All right, Uncle Ben. Goodnight." Ben turned to go, but Annie held out her hand to stop him. "If I get to wear Joe's trousers to do his chores, does that mean he'll need one of my dresses to do my chores?"

    Ben's grin almost split his face. "I'll suggest it to him."

     

    The next morning, Annie got up and changed into Joe's trousers. She had a tough time with the buttons, and it took her a while to get her drawers so they weren't all bunched up. She tucked in the shirt. They seemed to fit snuggly, but she couldn't get a good view of her reflection in the little mirror. Shrugging, she went to see if Joe decided to wear a dress. He wasn't wearing a dress, but he was wearing an apron. He was also threatening to pound Hoss, who kept telling him how sweet he looked. Ben and Adam just rolled their eyes. Everyone turned and stared as Annie came into the room.

    "What? Uncle Ben said I could."

    Hoss whistled softly, without even realizing that he had done so. Adam and Joe just stared, mouths open, until Hop Sing hit them both over the head with his spoon. Ben closed his eyes, as though in silent prayer.

    "Do I look all right?"

    Ben opened his eyes. "You look fine. Just remember, you are wearing those only on the ranch for the day. Don't even think of leaving the ranch dressed like that."

    "I wasn't going to, don't worry. I'd best go start on Joe's chores. Looks like he has the table all set. Joe, that apron looks sweet on you!" Annie hurried out of Joe's way before he could retaliate.

    Ben sighed as soon as she left the house. "Maybe she should wear one of Hoss's shirts. Adam, you make sure she stays on the ranch." He shook his head. "I should have let her wear those bloomers."

     

    Hoss, Adam and Annie rode in the wagon to the meadow where they would build the new corral. Hoss and Adam had already brought most of the wood there the day before. Hoss helped Annie down from the wagon, then handed her the toolbox. She almost dropped it, it was so heavy, but she lugged it to the pile of wood and set it down.

    "What do I do?" she asked Hoss. In response he handed her a shovel.

    "Ya dig holes, about this deep" indicating a mark on the shovel. "You start here, and Adam and me'll start a little further down." The two brothers picked up shovels and headed a ways down from Annie. They started digging and after a minute of watching them, she started digging.

    As she dug, she thought of the looks Hoss had given her on the way out. It was pretty obvious that he didn't think she'd get much work done, and that she'd be more hindrance than help. She was determined to prove him wrong, so she dug until her hands started hurting. She looked at the hole, and hoped it was big enough.

    "What d'ya make the hole so big around for?" She looked up to see Hoss frowning at her. "Where're your gloves? You'll get blisters like that." He walked over to the wagon, pulled out a small pair of gloves and threw them at her. "If ya keep making the holes so big you'll be here forever. You just gotta make it big enough to put the post in." He pointed to the pile of posts near the wagon. "Ain't that like a girl, to do it wrong."

    "How was I supposed to know how big to make it? You didn't tell me how wide, you just told me how deep. Ain't that just like a boy, to give bad directions." Annie stuck her tongue out at Hoss and turned away.

    "Where do you think you're going? We got more holes to dig?"

    "Dig them yourself!"

    Adam came up and grabbed Annie by the arm. "Where do you think you're going?"

    "Back to the house. Hoss doesn't want me to help. He doesn't want me here."

    "It doesn't make much difference what Hoss wants. Pa told you to help, and Pa wants you here. That's what's important. C'mon. You did fine, you just made the hole too wide. We'll fill it in when we put the post in. Dig another hole here." Adam pointed to a spot about six feet from her first hole, then he went to talk to Hoss. Annie could see that they were arguing, but she couldn't hear what they had to say. Finally Hoss threw up his hands in disgust and started to dig another hole.

    The three of them continued working in silence for what seemed like hours. Annie dug one hole for every four or five that Adam and Hoss did, but Adam didn't seem to mind. He kept telling her that she was doing a good job. Hoss didn't say much, but he didn't seem too happy with her. They had just stopped for a water break when Ben rode up.

    "How are things going here?"

    "Fine, Pa." Adam walked up to his father's horse and the two men talked quietly. Annie couldn't hear what they said, but she thought she heard her name and Joe's, then she saw her uncle nod his head. Adam walked towards Annie and helped her up as Ben called Hoss over to him. Annie watched as Hoss listened to his father, and then she saw his face flush a little. She smiled to herself. Adam had told Uncle Ben that Hoss was giving her a hard time and Uncle Ben was telling him to stop. When Uncle Ben was done chastising Hoss, he came over to look at Annie's work. "Good job, Annie. Keep up the good work."

    Annie worked the rest of the morning without complaint. She dug holes, and then when the holes were all dug, she helped put in the posts. She did everything they asked her to, and if she wasn't as fast as them, at least Hoss didn't say anything more. She was exhausted by the time they stopped for lunch, but she was proud that she had showed everyone that she could do the work.

    They ate lunch under the shade of one of the tall Ponderosa pines. Annie had packed the lunch before leaving. It was one of her usual chores, so Joe was supposed to do it, but he had seemed overwhelmed with the laundry. She decided to take pity on him. She wished she hadn't packed such a nice lunch after the way Hoss treated her, but Adam had been nice and after all, she had to eat it as well. They were taking a break after eating – Hoss was sleeping and Adam appeared to be sleeping as well. Annie walked a bit away. Her hands hurt and she was trying to figure out what to put on the blisters.

    "How are your hands?" Annie jumped and turned to look at Hoss.

    "As if you care." Annie didn't try to hide her bitterness at the way Hoss had treated her.

    "Aw, Annie, I'm sorry. You did work hard. In fact, I think you worked harder than Joe would have. I just didn't think…"

    "You just didn't think a girl could do the work, did you?"

    Hoss looked at his feet, his face bright red. "I guess I was wrong. I'm real sorry."

    Annie touched his arm to make him look up. She couldn't stay mad at Hoss for long; he was too kind to her most of the time. "That's all right, Hoss. To be honest, I hope I don't have to do Joe's chores tomorrow. My chores are looking fine to me right about now. Except maybe the ironing."

    "Well, you done just fine here. You can help us anytime." He pulled Annie's braid and turned towards Adam. "Well, if we're going to finish this corral, we'd better get lazy bones up."

    They worked all afternoon on the corral. By the time they were finished, Annie's hands hurt so badly she wanted to cry, but she was too tired. Besides, she wasn't giving anyone any chance to say that a girl couldn't do a boy's job. Hoss and Adam loaded up the wagon and they headed home.

    Annie ran into the house, hoping that Hop Sing would have a salve for her blisters. He did, but he was in such a bad mood that Annie was afraid to take it from him.

    "Joe took all day to do laundry and he has not ironed. Now your hands will not be able to hold an iron tomorrow. I have not cooked supper yet. Please go get peas from the garden when you are done with your hands."

    Annie quickly applied the salve and grabbed a bowl. Hop Sing had planted peas several weeks ago and the first ones were ready for picking. She ran out to the garden and bent over the pea plants. She had just picked the first pea when she heard a rattle. Before she could react she felt something brush against her leg, then she heard Adam yell to stand still. She heard a gunshot, then the sounds of her cousin running towards her.

    "Are you hurt? Did it get you? Pa!! Pa!!" Adam turned her around none too gently and started looking at her. Annie looked down and saw a rattlesnake dead on the ground near her.

    Ben, Hoss, Joe and Hop Sing came running at the sound of the gunshot. Her uncle grabbed her and started unbuttoning her trousers. As soon as she realized what he was going to do, she started batting his hands away. He smacked her hands.

    "Annie, this is no time for modesty. Did the snake bite you?" He yanked down the trousers and knelt in front of her. Fortunately, thought Annie, her drawers stayed up. Her cousins turned away as soon as they realized what their father was doing but Hop Sing hovered anxiously.

    "No, sir, I don't think it did. I heard the rattle, I felt something hit my leg and then I heard Adam yelling." The realization of what could have happened suddenly hit and Annie's could feel her knees buckle. Hop Sing helped her to the ground as her uncle continued to check her legs.

    Ben sat back on his heels and blew out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. "The trousers were thick enough to stop the snake, thank God." He reached out to take the trousers from Annie's hand. "No, you can't put them back on, there could be venom on them." He handed the trousers to Hop Sing and stood up. "Boys, keep your eyes closed." He bent over and gathered Annie in his arms. "C'mon. You need to get dressed."

    The blessing at the night's meal was especially sincere as Ben thanked God for looking over Annie that day. As Hop Sing dished out the meal, Ben looked at Joe.

    "So, Joseph how was your day of easy girl work?" Joe didn't look at his father and muttered something in response. "What was that, son? I don't think anyone heard you."

    "I said she can have them!"

    Ben smiled as the rest of the family smirked. "A girl's work not as easy as you thought, Joe?"

    "No, Pa, it wasn't. Please, Pa, can I do my own chores tomorrow?"

    Hoss jumped in. "I don't know, Pa. Annie worked pretty hard today. Maybe Adam and me don't want to give her up."

    Joe stared at Hoss as Annie blushed with the compliment. Ben looked over at her. "Well, Annie, what do you say? Ready to switch places with Joe permanently?"

    Annie almost laughed at the horrified look on Joe's face. She shook her head. "No, I don't think so Uncle Ben. I'm glad to know I can do the work, but I think I like my own chores better."

    A while later Annie lay in bed, thinking about they day. Ben came in to say good night as he always did.

    "Did you say your prayers?"

    She nodded. "I had some special thanks to give tonight." Ben sighed as he sat on the bed next to her.

    "Annie, I've been thinking and I've changed my mind about something that I said to you." Annie looked surprised. She had never heard of Uncle Ben changing his mind once it was made up. "I think I would like you to wear trousers or even your bloomers when you're working outside." He pulled a stray hair away from her eyes. "When I saw what almost happened today, well…" he paused. "Well, I've gotten used to your sassy ways and I want you to stay safe." He stood up and headed towards the doorway.

    "Uncle Ben?" Ben turned. "Does this mean I get my door back?" Ben shook his head.

    "I said I'm used to your sassy ways, not that I accept them. You'll get the door back when I decide, not sooner. Good night, Anna Marie."

    Annie smiled. "Good night, Uncle Ben."