Adam to the Rescue

By Tennessee

 

 

Adam was on his way to town when he heard a cry for help. He turned his horse around and rode as fast as he could. Little Joe and Hoss were behind him going to school, and they heard the cry too. Hoss said, "C'mon, Little Joe," and they followed Adam. Adam saw them and told them to go back. They told Adam he might need them, and Adam said, "Come on, then."

They rode as fast as they could and came to a cabin way back in the woods. They all saw the cabin at the same time. There was a little boy at the door, and he ran inside the house.

Adam said, "You two stay here."

"OK," they said.

Adam knocked on the door. It opened, and he walked in calling, "Hello?" He saw the little boy again and asked, "What's your name?"

The boy did not answer but someone let out a yell from the bedroom.

Adam called again, "Hello? Is someone in there?"

It was a woman, and she was in a lot of pain. She said, "My name is Jean."

"Hi, Jean," Adam said. "Do you need some kind of help?"

"I'm going to have a baby. My husband is out fixing our wagon. He's about four miles away. It's just me and my children, Billy and June. Come here, kids." She yelled in pain again.

Adam said, "My brothers are outside. Let me get one of them to get your husband and the other to get my pa and Hop Sing, our cook, to help you. Billy, June, do you two like horses? Come with me." He looked at Jean. "I'll send them with my brothers and I'll be back."

The kids said, "We love you, Ma," and she smiled.

Adam said, "Billy and June, this is Hoss and Little Joe. Their ma is having a baby," he told his brothers.

"Now?"

"Yes. Hoss, you take June and go find her pa. He's supposed to be working about four miles from here. Follow the horse prints." Adam lifted June up to Hoss. "Bill, you go with Little Joe."

"I want my ma," Billy said.

"She'll be all right. Go with Joe for now. He'll bring you back here."

There was a cry from the house and Adam lifted Billy up behind Joe and yelled, "Hurry!" He ran back into the house and went to Jane. "Your husband, my pa, and Hop Sing will be here soon. What do I need to get ready for them?"

Jane said, "We got some white sheets in that box over there. And you need to boil water, too."

"OK," Adam said. "I'll be right back." He got the water from an old well and then looked in the box and pulled out towels and sheets. He boiled the water.

"Adam, where is my husband?"

"He and the others will be here soon. Here is some cool water for you to drink. Rest now."

Hoss and June rode as fast as they could. June said, "There's our wagon and Papa."

Hoss rode fast toward the man. "Sir, my name is Hoss Cartwright and your wife is having a baby."

"Is she alone?"

"No sir, my brother Adam is with her."

 

 

Little Joe got to the Pondersoa, but no one was at the ranch so he yelled and yelled and finally he saw Hop Sing in the backyard. Little Joe and Billy ran to him, and Little Joe was so upset he could not talk.

Hop Sing said, "Slow down, Little Joe. Tell me what wrong."

"We heard someone yelling and when we got to the house it was a woman and Adam said she is gonna have a baby now."

Hop Sing said, "Let's go."

They found Ben in the barn, and Little Joe told him what was happening. "Adam told me to get you two," Joe said. "He needs help. This is Billy. It's his ma that's having the baby."

"Hello, Billy."

"Hello, sir."

Hop Sing grabbed what he needed, and they set off in the wagon.

 

"We better hurry, sir," said Hoss.

"My name is Mr. Smith," the man said.

"Nice to meet you," replied Hoss.

"Let me get my horse."

 

Adam was at the door when Jane said, "My water just broke."

Adam ran to her, looking worried.

"I need to push now. The baby is coming."

Adam turned white and said, "Jane, I don't know anything about delivering a baby."

"I know, Adam, but you're doing fine. You'll need to check to see if you can see the baby's head."

"What?" Adam shook his head. "No, I can't do that, ma'am."

"You have to. I know you're young, but you are the only one here. You said you were a rancher; haven't you ever seen a cow give birth? Or a horse?"

"Yes, I have but--"

"Well, this is the same."

"OK," Adam said with a shaky voice. He looked and then thought he might pass out. But he forced himself to think clearly. He had to help Jane and her unborn child. "I see the head," he said.

"The baby is coming." She pushed hard.

"You can do it, Jane," Adam said. "One more push."

She pushed again and the head was out. Adam caught the baby.

"Clean out it's nose and mouth," Jane instructed. "Slap its bottom to make it cry; that will help clear its lungs. Is it a boy or a girl?"

Adam said, "A boy."

"You can wash him off with a towel."

Adam said, "I hear someone coming."

A man rushed to Jane's side. "Are you all right?"

"Fine. Thanks to this young man."

Mr. Smith turned to Adam. "Thank you. My name is Mr. Smith."

"I'm Adam."

Adam went outside and found Hoss and June waiting by the horses. "We hurried as fast as we could," Hoss said.

"It's OK. Everything's fine. June, you've got a new baby brother. Why don't you go see your ma and brother?"

Hoss asked, "Adam, you didn't deliver the baby, did you?"

"Yes, I did."

Hoss's eyes widened. "Man, I couldn't have done that."

"I didn't have much of a choice. You do what you have to do."

"I guess you're right, Adam. What do you figure is taking Pa and Hop Sing so long?"

Just then, Joe, Ben, Hop Sing, and Billy walked up.

"Where's the wagon?" asked Adam.

"A wheel came off," Ben said. "I hoped there would be supplies here that we could use to fix it."

"Sorry, Pa," Hoss said, looking at his boots.

"Ya should have changed it a long time ago," accused Joe.

"Enough, boys," said Ben. "Has the baby come yet?"

Adam nodded.

"Who delivered the baby?"

"I did, Pa."

"You did?"

"Yes. I did what Jean said to."

Ben smiled. "I'm proud of you, son."

Hop Sing asked, "How's the mother?"

"Mother and baby are fine," Adam said.

"I should go check on her."

"Hop Sing, give the family a little time."

"OK, Mr. Cartwright."

Mr. Smith came out of the house. "I can't thank you all enough for what you done.

"Should I check them?" asked Hop Sing.

"Go right ahead," Mr. Smith said. He introduced himself to Ben and Joe.

Hoss said, "Mr. Smith, I'll go fix your wagon.

Hop Sing came out of the house. "They're fine. Just need some sleep."

Ben told Mr. Smith, "Your family is welcome to stay with us on the Ponderosa."

"Thank you, Mr. Cartwright, but I don't want to move my wife right now."

"I understand," Ben said. "We'll bring meals to you."

Hoss added, "And I'll bring the wagon once I fix it."

For two weeks, Hop Sing, Ben, and the boys took the Smiths food. It took Hoss a week to fix the wagon. Jane was well enough to move on and the baby was too. The Smiths packed their wagon and went over to the Ponderosa to say goodbye to the Cartwrights. They would miss them; they'd become good friends.

Hop Sing cooked a big meal of ham, potatoes, corn, and homemade bread and cake. Billy and June loved the Ponderosa.

Jane told Adam, "My husband and I talked it over and decided to name the baby James Adam Smith, James after his pa and Adam after you. Adam, I will never forget you and how you were there for me when I needed you. Here, Adam, I want you to hold him."

Adam took the baby. "Hi there, little man."

Jane had tears in her eyes. Her husband said it was time to go.

"I packed you some food to take," Hop Sing said.

"I'll carry it to the wagon," said Hoss.

Mr. Smith said, "Thanks to all of you." He yelled, "Billy! Jane! It's time to go." And they came to the wagon with Little Joe. With tears in their eyes, the Smiths got in the wagon and waved goodbye.

"You'll always have a special place in my heart," Jane told Adam. She hugged him. "When James Adam is old enough, I'll be sure to tell him about the good friend who helped us."

Adam kissed her cheek and smiled. The Cartwrights waved until the wagon was out of sight. Then Ben said, "We've all got chores to do."

Adam just stood there.

"Are you OK, son?"

"Yeah, Pa."

"Seeing a child being born is something you will never forget."

"That's for sure, Pa."

"Come on, son. Let's get our chores done."

About two months later Adam went to town and found he had a letter from Jane Smith telling him the family was just fine but that they didn't know yet where they would settle. Adam went home and showed his family the letter, and after that he never heard from Jane again. But Adam thought about the Smiths a lot. He was happy he'd been there to help Jane and her baby.

 

The End