Adam's Broken Heart

By Tennessee

 

When Ben came home from town, Hoss, Little Joe and Adam were getting ready for dinner. Ben sat down at the table and told Adam he had a letter for him. He handed Adam the letter. Adam said, "It's from Isabella" as he smiled and got up from the table and went outside to read it. As he read, tears ran down his face and his heart was broken.

Isabella wrote: "Dear Adam, I'm sorry I haven't written in a few months. This letter is really hard for me to write. Adam, when I left Eagle Station and you, we both knew I would come back and we would be married and live happily ever after. I'm sorry Adam but I met this guy named Pedro. He is a very good man. Adam, we were married one month ago. I never meant for this to happen but I was lonely and we went for a walk and the stars were out and so beautiful. Before we knew what was happening we were in each other's arms. Then we were kissing each other and we both knew we were in love. Pedro told me he was very much in love with me and wanted me to be his wife. We were married one month ago. Adam, I know this must hurt you and I'm so sorry. I would never hurt you intentionally. I hope you meet someone who will love you and make you happy soon. Please try to forgive me and get on with your life."

Adam got on his horse and rode for a long time. When he returned to the Ponderosa, Ben was waiting outside, worried because Adam had missed supper. Ben asked Adam if everything was all right. Adam told Ben about the letter from Isabella. Ben told him he was sorry he was hurting right now and it would take time for the hurt to go away. Adam was real sad and thought about Isabella a lot the next few months.

One morning as Adam was ready to work on the ranch he was smiling and acting like the old Adam. Ben asked him if everything was ok. Adam said, "Today is a new day, Pa." Ben smiled and thought to himself only time helps heal a broken heart.

The End!!!!!