A New Beginning

By Vicki Christian

 

A story of The Ponderosa

The boy climbed higher and higher up the dusty trail. When he had first started out it had been to explore a little way from town, but now a couple of hours later he was high above the wooden buildings and heading west. He glanced at the sun, must be about an hour or more after noon now. He had brought a piece of cheese and a hunk of fresh bread with him so he sat down amongst the sagebrush and under the shade of an aspen to eat. The water in his canteen was warm but still welcome in the heat of the day.

He knew he shouldn’t be this far from home but no one would know. He’d be back long before supper. Pa and Adam were working at the store and Ma was helping Mrs Warren to pack their wagon. The Warrens were heading to California in a few days. Ma had said to go and play but there was no one to play with. All the other youngsters in the settlement were either older or much younger than he. He had hung around with his brother, Erik, for a while but then he had been roped in to help Ma lift some heavy boxes. Joe had been bored watching and he hadn’t wanted to get too close in case he was made to help too, so he had wandered off. He’d seen this path a few days ago and wondered where it led. He’d asked Adam but his older brother hadn’t been that way hunting and didn’t know of the trail. Bringing water and his lunch had been a masterstroke in his opinion, it meant he could stay out all day. This looking after himself wasn’t such a big deal after all. Ma worried too much.

His food eaten he began to climb higher. He rounded a bend and before him a canyon opened up, far below was a white house with outbuildings. He hadn’t expected to find people living up here, but he could see why. There was a lush green meadow and plenty of grazing for the longhorns that he could see. Maybe there was someone down there that he could play with? He started down the trail without a thought for any danger.

As he drew level with some trees, a voice startled him.

"Where are you from?"

He spun around to face a girl of about fifteen. She had blonde hair that fell untidily around her face. Behind her she held a pretty bay pony that caught his eye. He’d been after Pa to get him a horse of his own for weeks now. Adam had Beauty and Erik had use of one of the horses that had pulled the wagon west. Pa rode the other. He was the only one on foot.

"Uh, I - I live down there." He pointed over his shoulder toward the town.

"You’re on our land. My Pa doesn’t allow anyone on our ranch."

Joe shrugged "Ain’t no signs and anyhow I ain’t doin’ no harm."

"There’s a sign over there." She pointed at a faded marker by the trail, which led down to the white house.

Joe moved closer to it and read it out loud, "Rancho Rivera de Vega " he glanced at the girl. He knew it was Mexican writing but she didn’t look Mexican. "Your name de Vega then?" he asked.

She shook her head "Tess Greene, my Pa was allowed to buy this place because he’s a war hero. He hasn’t changed the marker yet. We only came here this summer."

"Joe Cartwright." He held out a hand and Tess solemnly shook it. "You got any brothers?" he asked.

Again she shook her head, "No, there’s just me."

"You’re lucky, I got two and they’re bigger than me and always bossing me around." Joe complained. "Is that your horse?"

"Yes, you want to ride him?"

Joe’s eyes lit up, "Could I?" Neither Adam nor Erik would let him ride except in circles in a corral. Tess nodded. "Just around here though."

For over an hour Tess rested in the shade of a tree while Joe put her pony through its paces within her sight. Finally, she got up and called him, "I’ve got to go home now, but if you want to ride again, I come up here most days."

Joe slid down from the horse and gave him an affectionate pat. "I don’t know if I can come again for a while. It’s a long way. Do you come into town?"

"We've only been once but Pa says there is a school at the store so I guess I will be coming everyday when it starts again."

Joe grinned. "My Ma teaches us, she’s real nice -"

Tess laughed. "Then I’ll see you there."

Joe had to run all the way home to be there before the rest of the family. He found Erik behind the storeroom drawing water from the well.

"Where’ve you been little brother? It’s past time for chores and it’s your turn to take up the logs and to set the table for supper," Erik greeted him. "Ma will be home soon."

"I’m doing it ain’t I?" Joe began to gather the split logs into his arms as he spoke.

"Yeah, like Adam says a day late and a dollar short," Erik replied scornfully. "Anyhow where you bin all day? Ma was askin’"

"Went for a walk," Joe answered. "Didya know there’s a ranch over that way?" He waved his arm in the general direction of the Rancho Rivera, almost dropping the two logs he had so far managed to collect. "I met a girl and she let me ride her horse."

Erik stopped what he was doing and set the two buckets of water down on the steps. "How far that way?" he asked suspiciously. Joe was known for adventures, truth to tell they all were.

"Oh a mile or two." Joe said airly, though he knew it was nearer five. "I’m gonna try and go again, you wanna come and meet Tess?"

"Who’s Tess?" a voice came from behind Joe and he turned around almost bumping into his older brother, Adam.

"Uh . . . just a girl I met today."

Adam moved to lean against the stairs preventing either brother from going up, "Where’d you meet her?"

Joe bent down to pick up more logs to avoid eye contact. "Near her place."

"Which is -?" Adam remained casually leaning on the stairs.

"Just outsida town." Joe looked up, "C’mon Adam, I gotta take this wood upstairs. I’m late already."

Adam raised an eyebrow "Aren’t you always? You are going nowhere until I know where this girl lives, which - I suspect - is more than a little way out of town or we’d have met her."

"You ain’t met every girl in town," Joe countered.

"Oh yes he has." Erik grinned, "Leastways everyone over five and under ninety."

"Very funny," Adam said, irritated. "Now where did you go and who is this girl?"

Joe shrugged. "She lives on that trail I asked you about yesterday. Her pa owns a ranch over there. He’s a war hero and she’s got this real good pony. She let me ride him and -"

"Whoa -" Adam straightened up and looked heavenwards. "Slow down. She let you ride her horse?"

"Yep, he’s real gentle."

"What was she like?" Adam’s eyes narrowed and he fixed them on Joe.

"Whaddya mean?" Joe replied, pleased Adam hadn’t yelled about the riding.

Adam sighed, small brothers could be so dense. "How old is she? What did she look like?"

Joe shrugged. "I dunno, older’n me but not as old as you. Shorter than you and Erik with sorta yellow hair and she wore a dress."

Erik couldn’t hold back the laughter. Joe’s description was hardly enlightening but he bet his little brother could have given a full description of the horse.

"Most girls wear dresses that’s how you tell it’s a girl." Adam gave his brother a pained expression.

Joe giggled. "No it ain’t, I know -"

"Yeah, I just bet you do," Adam interrupted. "Now get your chores done before Ma gets home. I’m starting supper because she’s helping Mrs Orowitz with some dress goods."

"You gonna tell Pa?" Joe queried, moving halfway up the steps.

Adam pursed his lips. "Depends. Tomorrow you can show me where this ranch is. Mr Orowitz gave me the afternoon off, because it’s not so busy now."

Joe scowled, it would be no fun with Adam along. He stomped up the remaining stairs and slammed the door to the storeroom behind him.

Adam tilted his head to one side. "Sounds like little brother wants to keep his new friend to himself."

Erik grinned. "And you want to look her over."

Adam grinned too. "No harm in looking. Come with us you might learn something."

"Yeah, like Joe’s idea of older than him and younger than you is eleven." Erik chuckled.

"Maybe, but it could also mean seventeen. Suit yourself, we can’t all be the ladies’ men."

Erik picked up the water buckets and pushed past his older brother, slopping some water on Adam’s boots. "Sorry about that, can’t have the ladies’ man looking less than perfect, can we?"

He was away up the stairs before his laughing brother could retaliate.

Supper as always was a lively affair. Ben and Marie encouraged the boys to talk about their day and to discuss almost any topic. Adam could make them all laugh as he mimicked some of the mercantile’s customers, only occasionally earning a frown from his father if he took things too far. Today he was telling them about a group of Mexicans who had come into the store wearing pistols. He vividly described how everyone moved away from them.

"And what did you do today, Erik?" Pa asked, when Adam had finished his tale.

"Me and Mr Larsen went up the valley to the Indian camp. He showed me how to track while we was walking up there. You know he can track animals over rock. I mean I ain’t seen nuthin’ like that before. Oh and then we traded some dry goods for fish and furs."

"Business must be bad if Devereaux is trading for fish," Ben commented.

"I could fish for him and maybe trade for things for us," Erik suggested.

Ben shook his head. "Your time is better spent on your schoolwork, young man. Besides I doubt he offered the Indians much in exchange."

Erik reluctantly nodded. He didn’t care for book learning but Pa was right the trade had been mighty one sided.

"Did you go with your brother?" Ben asked turning to his youngest son.

"Uh - no," Joe volunteered as little as possible.

"So what did you do today, mon petit?"

Joe winced. He hated it when Ma called him that, he didn’t want to be anyone’s little one, but he knew better than to object. "Nuthin’ much, went looking for rabbits but didn’t catch any."

Ben raised any eyebrow at his wife, that wasn’t all of it, he was sure. "Get into any trouble with anyone?"

Joe shook his head. "Didn’t see no one."

Adam pursed his lips and frowned at his little brother. That one was going to mean trouble if Pa found out what he’d really been doing. Stretching the truth or avoiding a question was just about acceptable, an outright lie like that one certainly was not.

Ben nodded. "As long as you didn’t go too far that’s alright then. Remember no further than the edge of town except to the west and there you can go as far as the stream to fish. Any further and you make sure Adam is with you. You too Erik."

"Pa!" Erik exclaimed. "I ain’t a kid no more."

"You may not think so, but I don’t want either of you going any further until you can take care of yourselves out here."

Erik’s sigh was so loud that Adam just knew Pa wouldn’t let it go.

"You wish to discuss this outside, Erik?"

"Uh, no - no sir."

A heavy silence settled on the table but Joe, for one, was relieved that the questioning about his adventures had not gone any further.

The following day with chores more or less complete the three set off for the spot where Joe had last seen Tess. Joe rode double with Adam, much to his disgust. He’d pleaded, in vain, with Pa to have the loan of his horse. Adam was surprised and a little worried at just how far his kid brother had traveled alone. They waited for half an hour but no one appeared.

"Let’s go find the house," Adam suggested. "We can just say we called to be neighborly."

Erik snorted.

"You got a problem with that?" Adam asked.

"Nope." Erik grinned and nudged his little brother. Adam sure was keen to see this girl.

The white painted house was typically Mexican, with arches over the porch providing a shady place to sit and thick walls to keep out the heat in summer and keep it warm in winter. A girl was exercising a pony in the yard and she stopped and slid to the ground as they approached.

"That’s her," Joe offered. "Ain’t her pony, somethin’?" But neither brother was listening. One was shrugging off his disappointment and the other was gazing open mouthed.

"Hi Tess, these are my - brothers." Joe went to introduce them.

Tess came forward but she virtually ignored Joe and headed straight for Adam. She held out her hand to him. "Tess Greene." She shook hands then put her hand up to her hair and adjusted her ribbons.

Adam smiled. "Adam Cartwright, Joe’s big brother and this is our other brother, Erik."

Erik blushed. "Pl - please ta - meet ya," he said shyly.

Adam hid a widening grin, his brother was obviously smitten. Tess was nice enough but too young, he had been hoping for someone his own age and Tess was obviously Erik’s age or even younger.

Tess shook his hand but immediately turned her attention back to Adam. "Would you like me to show you our horses? My father’s says they are the best for miles. He’s going to breed good saddle horses for the army."

Adam nodded. "Sure. We can’t stay long but Joe would love to see any horses wouldn’t you buddy?"

Joe nodded eagerly. The four headed toward a large corral where two Mexican vaqueros were attempting to rope a wild-looking bay mare. Erik walked at the rear of the group desperately trying to think of something to say.

Tess skipped the last few steps and slipped her hand onto the arm of a tall stern looking man who was leaning on the fence with several other men both white and Mexican watching the vaqueros. "Papa this is Adam Cartwright and his brothers. They live in town."

The tall man turned around smiling at his daughter but the smile vanished when he saw the boys. "Luther Greene." He shook Adam’s outstretched hand. "Pleased to meet you, sir."

Greene grunted, "What brings you over here, it’s a long way from town?"

Adam leaned on the fence beside him and looked at the horses for a moment. "My brother met Tess yesterday, so we thought we’d come over and introduce ourselves. There aren’t many kids around for them to play with." He sensed Tess and Erik bristle at his words and almost laughed. He’d get it in the neck once they were out of earshot of the Greenes.

Luther Greene nodded. "Just be careful riding around here on your own without a pistol, boy. You can’t trust these Greasers. There’s still marauders in the mountains and they won’t think twice about killing Americans."

Adam frowned. His father hadn’t mentioned any such dangers and he was sure Pa would have if he’d thought there was any risk to his sons. "We’ll be careful, sir," he answered, politely. "But we didn’t see anyone on the ride up here."

Greene grunted again, "That’s the trouble boy, you don’t see them until it’s too late. I’ve told Tess a hundred times not to ride alone."

Tess didn’t seem the least put out by her father’s words. "Maybe Adam could come over and go riding with me."

Adam raised an eyebrow. "I work at the store most days, but I bet Erik would come over sometimes."

It was difficult to think of anyone more embarrassed than Erik at that moment, his face was the color of a ripe tomato. He stuttered a moment and vowed to get even with his brother later. "S - s - sure, I c - I could ride over in the afternoons."

Tess tossed her hair back over her shoulder and a sulky expression settled on her face. "If you like," she responded, at least maybe if she kept in touch with one brother she would have an excuse to see the other.

Luther Greene had turned back to watch his vaqueros and Adam felt the man’s indifference. "We’d better be going then." He nudged Joe, who was transfixed by the sight of a bucking horse and the vaquero clinging to the saddle.

Erik waited until they were nearly home before he spoke. Joe had chattered most of the way so his silence was hardly noticed. He pulled his horse to a stop and waited until his brothers did the same and turned to see what had caused him to halt.

"What’s the problem?" Adam asked casually, hooking one leg over the saddle horn and waiting for his brother to explain.

Erik sighed. "You are."

Adam raised an eyebrow. "Come again on that."

Erik eased himself in the saddle and then glared at his older brother. "Why do you always gotta make me look stupid in front of girls?"

Adam almost choked with laughter. "You usually don’t need much help, brother."

Erik dismounted and walked around to where Beauty was standing quietly waiting for them to move on. "You wanna come down here and say that?" he challenged.

Joe peered around his older brother in gleeful anticipation of a fight. Adam didn’t move from the saddle but shook his head. "Nope. You’re just making things out to be bigger than they are. I was just joshin’ with you."

Erik made no move to re-mount. He continued glaring up at his older brother. "You called me a kid and you - you - you - "

"I simply suggested you might like to take her riding, she’s about your age and I doubt she even heard me call you a kid. She was too busy preening herself." Adam grinned.

"I s’pose you think she was looking at you?"

Adam’s grin widened. "Maybe, but I’m not interested, she is just a kid."

"She said she was fifteen, same as me - and I ain’t a kid."

Adam wiped the grin and sighed. "I’m not giving you a fight so forget it. Pa will be expecting us back and I’m not about to tell him we argued over something so stupid."

He swung his leg back and found the stirrup and turned Beauty toward home, much to Joe’s disappointment.

Erik stood for a moment then shrugged and mounted up again to follow. He’d get even with Adam somehow.

Over the next few weeks, Joe and Erik made several trips up to the Greene ranch. Tess always welcomed them and usually provided a pony for Joe so that the three of them could explore the canyon and often ride over the mountains to the lake for picnics. By the time summer was fading, Erik had become truly smitten. Joe teased him once or twice but soon learned that if he wanted to survive he’d better back off.

Erik couldn’t have been happier until the day Tess and her mother drove into town for supplies. He had been finishing off his morning chores and planning on a fishing trip when he saw the Greene’s buggy tied up outside Orowitz’s store. Tess was just helping her mother down and he hurried across to assist.

"Hey, Tess. You got time to come over and visit for a spell? I bin teaching Karly some new tricks. She can take a rag right outta my pocket now and -"

"Maybe later, Erik. I promised to help load the supplies and I want to choose some new dress material," Tess said hurriedly as she followed her mother into the store.

"I’ll come with you and you can meet Ma, she’s real good at picking out material."

The store was crowded and Erik spotted Marie attending to another customer. Pa was nowhere to be seen and Mrs Orowitz came forward to speak to Mrs Greene.

Erik pointed at the dress goods. "The materials is over here," he called, but Tess was standing in the middle of the shop just gazing around.

He watched her for a minute then tapped her shoulder. "Over here."

"Oh, oh yes."

She seemed distracted and Erik couldn’t work out what she was looking for. The dress materials were all stacked on shelves and easy to see. She looked at them but it was as if she didn’t see them. They all looked fine to him and he had no idea which to suggest to her.

"I’ll go find Ma," he suggested.

"Mmm - yes, fine," Tess mumbled.

It took him several minutes to get Marie’s attention and by the time he turned back to the display of material, Tess had a bolt of red cloth in her hands. She was also in deep conversation with Adam who was standing on a stepladder reaching for a bolt of green print material from a high shelf.

Adam was smiling and chatting, "This is right for you, it will bring out the color of your eyes and with a pretty green ribbon in your hair you’ll look perfect. Tess was smiling up at him and nodding in agreement, "If you think so, then that’s the one I’ll have."

Erik hurried back to them, no longer smiling. "Whatcha doin’, Adam?"

Adam raised an eyebrow and tried to hide a grin. "Helping a very pretty customer to chose some dress fabric."

Tess gave a coquettish smile. "I couldn’t decide and Adam helped me reach this one." She ran her hand over the bolt of cloth, which Adam was holding. "It’s beautiful, just what I wanted. You’re so clever to find it for me, Adam."

Erik frowned, "I could have got that for you."

"But you don’t work here, do you? I mean, you’re still in school." Tess was speaking to Erik but her eyes never left Adam’s face.

"I could still have got it," he muttered.

"Why don’t you give this to Ma and tell her Tess wants a dress length," Adam suggested thrusting the bolt of cloth into his brother’s hands. "Ma’ll help you find a pattern."

Tess looked hurt. "But I wanted you to help, you have such good taste."

Adam laughed, "I’m not much good at dress patterns, Mrs Orowitz or Ma would be better."

Marie had seen the looks passing between the three and she stepped in to take over. "Adam would you take these parcels from Mrs Greene and put them in her wagon." She smiled at the girl. "You must be Tess? Erik has told me so much about you. Now why don’t we take a look at the patterns and find one that suits that pretty material?" She led the girl away with a pointed glance at her stepsons.

Erik and Joe continued to visit the Greene ranch and with Adam unable to join them, Erik began to have more confidence with Tess. Joe was happy to be able to ride and he left them pretty much to themselves. For the first time Erik was actually looking forward to school starting as it would mean he could see Tess every day. He conveniently forgot that the school was in the store and therefore Tess would also see his older brother every day, but Tess hadn’t.

Two days before school was due to begin the boys were seated at the table waiting for supper to be served, or rather waiting for Pa to arrive so that Marie would allow them to eat.

"Maybe he got held up at the store," Erik suggested, the smell of rabbit stew was making his mouth water. "Couldn’t we start without him, Ma?"

Marie stirred the stew and replaced the lid on the cooking pot. "No, we will wait. It will not hurt the stew to cook for a few more minutes."

"Hurts me," Erik muttered, making his brothers grin.

Adam leaned back in his chair tipping it on to its back legs. "Pa was helping Mr Orowitz count the takings so he shouldn’t be long, the store was closed when I left."

Marie came up behind her stepson and pushed on his shoulder until the chair was on four legs again. "Do not do that, you will break the chair," she admonished. "We will wait for your father, it is polite."

Erik had just finished another deep sigh when the door banged on the floor below.

"That’ll be him, now." Adam grinned. "You don’t have to wait much longer."

"Pa don’t usually slam doors. You think he’s mad at someone?" Erik frowned at his younger brother.

"Don’t look at me, I ain’t done nuthin,’" Joe protested.

At this point Ben burst into the room wearing a very worried expression, which relaxed as soon as he saw his family assembled at the table.

All three boys had turned toward the door and they were relieved when Pa smiled.

"Is something wrong?" Marie asked, her eyes taking in the still slightly worried ones of her husband.

"There’s been some trouble on the outskirts of town. I was concerned that the boys might have been out that way." He removed his coat and hat and came to the table.

"What sort of trouble, Pa?" Adam asked.

"A couple of wagons were attacked by Mexican bandits on the trail from Mormon Station. They drove them off but lost a horse and some supplies." He glanced across at his younger sons. "No more riding out to the Greene ranch until these men are caught."

"Aw Pa," Erik complained. "Me and Joe ain’t seen no one on that trail, ‘ceptin’ ranch hands."

"How’d you know they were ranch hands?" Adam asked. "Mr Greene employs Mexicans."

"It doesn’t matter who you saw or who they are. You will not go out of town until I say so." Ben said firmly, "And that goes for you too, Adam. We’ll hunt together."

Adam bit back a sigh; it would do no good to antagonize his father any further. Erik had already exacerbated his bad mood by questioning him. Maybe later when they were alone he could talk about it. If only Pa would let him have a pistol he’d be able to take care of himself. His rifle was fine for hunting but not much use if he needed it in a hurry. He was almost twenty and in his own eyes a man, even if his father didn’t think so.

"Maurice has sent Big Dan over to Sutter’s to alert the army. They’ll be here in less than a week," Ben continued. "He thinks they are Mexicans whose land has been taken by the government and now they are seeking revenge.

"Will these bandits attack the town?" Marie shuddered as she ladled out the stew and placed steaming bowls in front of her husband and sons. "The town was theirs too before we came."

Ben shook his head. "Don’t worry my love. The town has always had many non-Mexicans and none of the land here was farmed. We have enough men in town to make sure they don’t cause trouble here. There is nothing to attract them, no banks, no saloons and only two stores and a livery, although Maurice is worried they might try to steal horses."

"Then why did they attack the wagons?" Adam asked.

"They need supplies and the wagons are an easy target, or at least they thought they were. Seems a couple of the people travelling with the wagons were crack shots and the bandits got more than they bargained for. They expected emigrants and got whisky runners." Ben tucked into his stew with gusto and smiled at Marie. "I don’t know how you do this on that stove."

"It is good?"

Erik nodded. "It’s the best stew I ever tasted."

"You always say that about any food." Adam laughed.

Joe had been listening intently and puzzling over the problem of getting Pa to change his mind about the restriction. "What’s a whisky runner, Pa?"

Ben had forgotten his lapse, he hadn’t meant to reveal the wagons true load to his family. "Some folk try to make money and trouble by taking liquor where there is none or sometimes selling it to the Indians," he reluctantly explained.

"Is that what these new folks are doing, Pa?" Adam asked.

Ben sighed, "Yes, apparently they plan to open a saloon here in town, maybe offer rooms and meals too, so they say."

Later when the boys were supposed to be asleep, Adam heard his parents talking and despite his father’s teachings he couldn’t help eavesdropping just a little. He justified it by telling himself it was hard not hear when only a blanket separated them.

"These new people they are not nice?" he heard Marie ask.

"They seem nice enough. I really didn’t get to talk to them," he heard his father reply.

He made to turn over and bury his head in the pillow but the next sentence intrigued him.

"The man is young, restless I’d say. A fair hand with a gun and a pack of cards from what Frenchy said."

"And the woman? She is his wife?"

"No, I don’t think so, least his name is Roberts and hers was Sterrett. She said to call her Shelby and he’s Jack. Got the impression she was the one planning to run the saloon though."

"Oh, she wants you to call her by her first name already, does she?"

Adam grinned, he could hear the tinge of jealously in his stepmother’s voice.

His father heard it too. "She looks more man than woman, dresses in pants and shirt and smokes cigars."

Adam almost laughed out loud at that.

"I do not think a woman running a saloon is good. A saloon here in town is not good. The boys -"

"The boys will find out about saloons soon enough, Adam probably has already." Adam heard his father give a light laugh, and wondered how Pa knew so much. Oh, Pa knew he had tried alcohol in New Orleans, but surely he didn’t know about secret visits to waterfront bars before they left. At least there hadn’t been any visits recently. There were no saloons on the trail. He was intrigued by the thought of one in Eagle Station though. A cold beer after work would be most welcome if he could slip it past Pa.

"You think our sons gambling and drinking is funny?"

"No, but I hope we have raised them to know when to stop and what is appropriate behavior and what is not."

Adam heard one of them move in the bed and the springs creaked. There was a whisper that he couldn’t hear and then his stepmother giggled. Now might be a good time to bury his head in the pillow and get to sleep he decided.

*It was late in the afternoon of the next day and Adam was trying to avoid everyone in the store. He had been set the task of moving full barrels of flour, molasses, sugar and other goods from one side of the storeroom to the other to make more room for the school. He was hot and tired and had slipped out for a breath of air. He sat down on the ground behind the store and tried to keep in the shadows. Ma and Mrs Orowitz rarely came out here except for the outhouse and he could hear his father and Mr Orowitz discussing where to stack a new shipment of tinned goods that Jack Roberts’ second wagon had contained. So far Adam hadn’t been able to catch a glimpse of the newcomers but he intended to remedy that right now.

Everyone was occupied, even Erik and Joe were off someplace, no one would miss him for half an hour. Adam heaved himself to his feet and brushed a stray lock of hair from his eyes with a sweaty hand. It sure was hot today. He cautiously made his way around the end of the building and headed for a run down two-storey wooden shack, which had the word "Whiskey" painted in shaky white letters. It hadn’t taken long for this Roberts fella to find a place to make his money. Adam hesitated outside wondering if he dared to enter. Several men pushed past him and he found himself jostled until he was leaning on the doorpost trying to see inside without actually crossing the threshold.

A rough trestle had been set up and a man with sandy hair was pouring whiskey from a bottle into a none-too-clean glass. The glasses were snatched away almost immediately by eager hands that slapped coins on the trestle in payment. The man was younger than Pa, with a slighter build and long slim fingers. Beside him a rough looking woman in men’s garb was also dispensing the amber liquid. Adam frankly stared at her. He had never seen a woman dressed this way. Cleaned up she would have been quite pretty. Her hair, the color of ripe wheat, reminded Adam of his first stepmother, Inger. But Inger’s hair had always been tidy, either in a tight bun or a sleek pleat or plaits. On the rare occasions he had seen it loose, it had been washed and brushed until it shone and shimmered around her shoulders.

He was about to step away from the door when the crowd around the makeshift bar thinned a little and the man spotted him. "Don’t stand there staring, boy, come on in and try some, if you’ve got a quarter."

Adam nervously brushed his hair back and rubbed his ear. Pa would have his hide for being anywhere near this place.

"Leave him be, Jack. He don’t look nowheres near old enough to be in here drinking." Shelby polished a dirty glass and began to fill it.

Adam was about to protest that he was almost twenty but she had turned back to her next customer. He sighed. It wasn’t worth risking Pa’s anger for a taste of what was probably rotgut whiskey and watered down at that.

There were too many men that knew him and what’s more knew Pa and his opinion on drink. He had turned away to head back to the store when he heard a commotion further down the street. At first he thought it was a problem at the store but as he drew nearer he saw a wounded man lying in the street, his horse nearby. A crowd was gathering and someone was calling for water. Adam could see his father and Mr Orowitz kneeling by the man and trying to tend to his injuries.

His father looked up and frowned as he approached. "Adam, go fetch your ma and tell her to bring her medicine chest." As he turned to do as Pa requested he almost bumped into the woman from the saloon.

"I know a bit o’ doctoring," she offered. " And Hop Sing here, " she pulled forward an Oriental dressed in loose fitting black cotton shirt and pants, "knows a few tricks. What’s the matter with him?" She pointed at the man on the ground.

"Gut shot," another bystander offered.

Adam hesitated between obeying his father and being curious about the woman, the Chinese man and the injured party. The woman seemed to know what she was doing so he stayed watching.

"Who did this to you?" Ben leaned over the man to hear the answer.

"Mexicans - in the hills on the trail into town - jumped us - killed my boss," the man gasped, "said he stole their land -"

"Who’s your boss?" Ben asked, puzzled. There were very few landowners around here other than the townsfolk.

"Help me get him to my place - he needs to rest." The woman began directing people to move and selecting others to carry the injured man.

Once inside the saloon Ben repeated his question.

"Mr Greene, from Greene Valley Ranch." The man answered, his voice stronger now that this wounds were being attended to and he was able to regain his breath from his hectic ride.

Standing in the doorway, Adam gasped. Tess’s father. It had only been days ago that he had been talking to the man in the store, now he was dead.

Ben took the man’s horse, with Adam following, and led it to Devereaux’s livery to be unsaddled and rubbed down and Adam followed. Devereaux and Big Dan were nowhere in sight and Adam leaned against the wooden partition as his father tended to the horse.

"I saw Mr Greene just a few days ago." He brushed some imaginary dust from his shirt and kept his head down. "Someone will have to tell Mrs Greene and Tess."

"I’ve only met the man once and I’ve seen his wife in the store but I’ve not really talked to her. I’ll talk to Maurice, one of us or maybe more than one will have to ride out there and tell his family what happened. We need to know more from this ranch hand first." Ben glanced up at his son. "Where were you when he rode in? I thought you were helping Mrs Orowitz organize the schoolroom."

Adam shrugged. "I took a break, it was hot in there."

His father nodded. "How far did you walk?"

"Walk?" Adam’s eyes were wary. What was Pa getting at

"Yes, walk? You came up the street." Ben’s voice was tinged with impatience.

"Not far; down the street aways." Adam looked at the saddle his father had placed on the partition and ran his fingers over the leather.

"Down as far as that new saloon?" Ben didn’t look up but he felt his son tense.

"I took a look, nothing wrong in that, is there?" He straightened and folded his arms defensively.

His father shook his head. "Nooo, as long as you were only looking! But I’d as soon you stayed away from that place and from Jack Roberts."

Adam bit his lip, trying to form a question that would get him answers but not anger his father. There wasn’t one. "What’s so bad about Jack Roberts?"

Ben drew in a breath and looked up at his son. "He makes a living selling whiskey and gambling and he’s a touch too comfortable with that pistol on his hip. None of them are traits with which you should become familiar."

Adam shrugged. "I thought you taught us not to judge people too quick. I mean you hardly know him."

Ben nodded wisely, his eyes never leaving his son’s face. "I’m not judging, but suggesting you might do well to steer clear of him and the saloon. Stay close to home for a while too, at least until the army gets here." He could see that his son was less than impressed and wondered if he had done the right thing. Raising children was like walking a tightrope. Say nothing and they would find trouble, forbid them to do something and they would try it out of curiosity. Maybe he should have avoided mentioning Roberts and the saloon altogether. Only time would tell.

Adam turned to leave. "I’d better get back to the store."

Ben smiled. "Eli will guess where you are, but it might be wise, there are still a lot of barrels to move. You might take a look for your brothers on your way back. I don’t suppose you know where they went this afternoon?"

Adam made sure that his back was to his father when he answered. "Erik didn’t say." He omitted to say that Joe had. They had planned to go to the Indian encampment and that was to the north of town in the valley, a long way outside the area Pa considered safe at the moment. At least it was in the opposite direction from the Greene Ranch.

"I hope they obeyed me and stayed in town. I don’t want any of you running around those mountains right now."

Adam nodded but kept walking. He sure hoped his brothers were home by the time the store closed. He spent another hour at the store and when all the barrels were stacked he wandered out to where his father was in deep conversation with Mr Orowitz. "If there’s nothing else, I’ll head home. Ma’s just finishing tidying up."

He held his breath until Mr Orowitz answered saying there was no more work for him today, then let it out in a relieved sigh. If he could track his brothers down before Ma and Pa got back it would make for a much more peaceful evening. He hurried down the street and checked in the storeroom and upstairs in their room, no sign of them. He walked quickly down the street again - this time to the southern edge of town, still no sign. He had almost decided that he had better saddle up Beauty and make a real search when he saw two hazy figures in the distance. From the relative sizes it could only be his brothers. He relaxed a little with relief, at least they weren’t in the mountains. He hurried toward them. He debated with himself how much to tell them but decided he’d let Pa take on that chore. Adam had only met Luther Greene on a couple of occasions but Erik had got to know Mr Greene quite well since he had been spending time with Tess.

At the sight of his older brother’s worried expression Erik quickened his pace until he was level with Adam. "What’s wrong, is Pa lookin’ for us?"

"Not yet, but he will be. It’s getting late and you shouldn’t be out here."

Adam’s air of superiority and general manner irritated his brother. "If he ain’t lookin’ then there’s nuthin’ to worry over, is there? Less you told him we wasn’t in town." He raised an eyebrow at his older brother.

"I haven’t told him anything. I came out here to warn you that’s all. Keep quiet about where you’ve been today if you can." Adam’s tone was one of exasperation. He didn’t know why he bothered to try to protect them.

"We ain’t stupid," Joe stated baldly.

Erik saw something else in Adam’s expression. "You let somethin’ slip about us?"

Adam sighed, "No, I did not. There’s been some trouble in the mountains and Pa wanted to know where you were - "

"An you said - ?" Erik let the question hang in the air, knowing that Adam wouldn’t lie to Pa for them but needing to know just how much trouble they were in.

"I said I didn’t know," Adam snapped back.

"Oooh," Joe gasped. "You did know, so you’re in as deep as we are."

Adam grinned. "Oh no little brother, what I said was that Erik hadn’t told me. I’m in the clear."

"Pa says intendin’ to - to de- deceive is the same as lyin’ and you said one thing and meant somethin’ else." Joe gloated, self-righteously.

"Well it isn’t going to matter if you two get a move on and we get home before he does," Adam growled, annoyed at being questioned.

"What trouble in the mountains?" Erik asked as they hurried back toward the town.

"Mexicans attacked some more folk. Pa’ll tell you about it." They had almost reached the stairs and he made the pretence of looking around for Pa so that his brother wouldn’t see his expression.

They had made it with minutes to spare. Adam put Erik to splitting logs and Joe to carrying them upstairs while he got water and made sure the stove was hot with the coffeepot set in place.

At supper that evening Ben explained to Erik and Joe about Luther’s death, and then tried to steer the conversation away from the shooting. He could see that Erik was particularly upset, pushing his food around his plate and not really enjoying his super as he usually did. Marie shuddered every time the presence of bandits was raised.

"What did you two do today?" Ben speared a piece of meat and looked up as he ate.

Joe waited for Erik to answer and, when he didn’t, Joe searched for a reply that would cover their visit to the Indian village and the quicksand. It sure was fun watching big stones and logs disappear into the ground. "Nuthin’ much. Erik was showin’ me how to track."

"In town?" Ben’s expression showed disbelief and even incredulity.

Adam tried to hide a smile and coughed as he reached for a cup of water.

"Sure in town, there’s lots of tracks in town."

Adam choked on the water and Ben thumped him on his back to hide his own smile

"I’m sure there are but isn’t it a bit advanced to try tracking where there are so many footprints, Erik?" Ben swung his eyes toward his middle son. "Erik," he tried again and was rewarded with a questioning look. It was obvious his son hadn’t heard any of the conversation.

"Yes, Pa."

"I was asking Joe about this tracking you’ve been teaching him." Ben waited as Erik tried to recall what had been said.

"Oh, oh yeah, we’re gonna do some tomorrow." Erik pushed a potato around his plate.

"Tomorrow? You didn’t find enough tracks today then?"

Erik frowned at Joe as a kick under the table reached his ankle. "Oh yeah, we found some today, too."

Ben pursed his lips and looked from one son to the other. "I think tomorrow you had better stay inside and do some schoolwork. You could help your mother by cleaning up a bit too. I don’t want you wandering around; it might be dangerous."

Erik caught Adam’s eye. His older brother was warning him not to say anything further but he wasn’t sure exactly why.

Joe missed the look and queried the order, "Inside, Pa, why?"

Ben deliberately put down his fork and turned toward his youngest son. Firstly because I have asked you to, and secondly because I do not want to hear that you have been tracking outside of town."

Now even Joe got the message. Pa was saying that he knew they hadn’t been tracking in town and he was punishing them for it. If both accepted it without question he would not pursue the lie or ask exactly where they had been. "Yes, sir, he said, meekly, putting his attention back to his stew.

Marie had watched the exchange and grew more worried as she realized that her sons had been out of town when the attack on Luther had occurred. "I think to stay inside is a good idea for all of us."

Joe suddenly brightened. "Maybe if everyone stays at home there won’t be no school."

Ben pushed his plate away and picked up his coffee cup. He leaned back in his chair and fixed his eyes on his youngest son. "For you, there will be school. It will make no difference whether the schoolwork is done at the store or here. Your mother is the teacher."

Joe sighed. He almost made an ill-considered remark but stopped himself just in time. Needing to say something to cover his lapse, he blurted out, "I guess Tess won’t be comin’ anyway."

Erik pushed back his chair and made for the stairs. Ben sighed and followed his son down the back staircase.

Ben found Erik seated on the very bottom step of the outside staircase, staring out into the alley. He paused a moment to let his son know he was there then sat down beside him and rested a hand on the boy’s shoulder.

Erik glanced up, his eyes questioning. "Why, Pa?"

Ben considered for a moment how to phrase his answer so that it was the truth but not a truth that would make his son hate. "Some Mexicans do not believe that the war is over. They do not recognize the treaty which ended it and they are still fighting for what they believe is their land."

Erik twisted his hands together and looked away for a moment. When his eyes settled back on his father they were unwavering. "Are they right, Pa?"

"Any disagreement has two sides, son. The government allowed Mexicans to claim their land for one year after the treaty. Those who have not done so have lost it. The farms and ranches have been given to men who fought in the war."

"Like Mr Greene?"

"Yes, like Luther Greene. No one from the Rivera de Vega family has come forward so it is assumed that the heirs to that land perished in the war and our government has taken the land as a form of payment for the cost of the war." He wasn’t sure Erik would understand the concept of war reparations. "Mr Greene then paid a special price for the land as a war veteran."

"So it is his land?" Erik screwed up his face in an effort of concentration as he tried to make sense of what Pa was saying.

"By American law, yes. But not all Mexicans abide by our laws. They are still fighting the war, even though their government has agreed to a peace treaty."

Erik turned slightly so that he was facing his father. "But why Mr Greene? I know he didn’t like Mexicans much but he never did anyone any harm and he pays them good money to work for him."

Ben shook his head. "I doubt the killers cared about who he was. They saw him as an American who had taken land belonging to their people."

"Kinda like the Indians that killed my Ma," Erik said thoughtfully.

Ben wasn’t entirely sure he agreed with the analogy but he could see how his son was struggling to understand this senseless violence. "Yes," he said, softly. "Kind of like that."

"Then Tess and me we got something in common ain’t we?"

Ben squeezed his son’s shoulder and gave him a gentle smile. "Yes, I suppose you have. You’ve both lost a parent."

"Can I go with you when you tell her ma? I mean I’m her friend and she don’t hardly know you or Mr Orowitz."

Ben was about to say no, but he saw the earnest expression and real concern on the boy’s face. "We’ll see. I don’t want to put you in danger. Let me talk to Mr Devereaux and Mr Orowitz first." He got to his feet. "Are you coming back inside?"

"I’d kinda like to be on my own for a while, Pa. If that’s alright?" His blue eyes were misty and his voice pleading.

Ben patted his shoulder again. "Sure it is. Don’t wander away from here though and come back in before it gets dark."

Erik nodded and turned back to stare at the alley, which was now in shadow and quiet.

The next morning, after extracting as much information as they could from the injured man, a delegation set off for the Greene ranch. Big Dan, from the livery stable, accompanied Ben and Erik. Riding with them were two mountain men who were passing through and wanted company for at least part of their journey. And Jack Roberts joined the group as they were leaving town.

Marie and Joe watched them leave. Adam was inside the store sulking. He didn’t see why Erik was going instead of him. He could handle a rifle far better than his younger brother. Pa had explained that they couldn’t both go and that Erik knew the Greene family better, but Adam was not persuaded. Marie was no help as she didn’t want any of them to go.

The delegation rode west until they reached the foothills. At that point they proceeded with more caution, with rifles at the ready. Without realizing it, Erik found himself riding between his father and Big Dan with the two mountain men in front and Jack Roberts at the rear. It took less than thirty minutes to reach the spot where Luther Greene and his ranch hand had been ambushed. With Erik and the two mountain men as guards the others wrapped the body in a blanket and put it across the spare horse they had brought. Green’s horse was nowhere to be seen.

Ben shielded his son from the body as much as he could. The man had been hit by a volley of shots and it was not a pretty sight, as predators had found the corpse during the night. When they were on their way again Ben moved closer to his son in support.

Margaret Greene didn’t have to be told, - as soon as she saw the men and the blanket draped body she began to scream. She had paced the floor all night, knowing that something was wrong. At first light she had sent men to search for her husband but her Mexican hands seemed to have little enthusiasm for the task and had not hurried.

Marie watched anxiously from the store window as the afternoon wore on. Adam saw her gazing down the street and walked over to stand behind her.

"They’ll be fine. I bet those bandits are miles away by now."

Marie kept her eyes on the distant mountains. "They robbed the wagons and then stayed to kill Mr Greene. They are still there. This is their homeland; they will not leave it."

Ruth Orowitz overheard and reached out a hand. "Come we will sort the silks and tidy the bolts of cloth. I have some new material in a soft blue which will make a beautiful dress for you."

Marie smiled gratefully at Ruth. "You are kind but I do not think I could choose dress material when Ben and Erik are in danger."

"Big Dan and Jack are with them. They’ll be fine." Adam turned away from the window and tried to busy himself with the counter. Customers moved the goods to get a better look and jars of candy, button boxes and bootlaces were all jumbled together. He retrieved the large scissors Marie used for cutting cloth and put them safely in a draw.

"Who is this Jack you speak of? He is Mr Roberts, no?" Marie spoke sharply.

"He told me to call him Jack," Adam replied.

"Your father, he has said this is right?" Marie glared at her son.

Adam had the grace to blush. "Well, I haven’t asked Pa. It's Jack - Mr Roberts decision what I should call him."

Marie pursed her lips and frowned. "We will see what your father has to say on this." She followed Ruth to the back of the store, leaving Adam to watch and contemplate. Jack Roberts fascinated him. In New Orleans men like Jack had been seen only at a distance and on the trail his sort would have been turned away from a wagon train. For the first time Adam was old enough to choose his own friends or so he thought. He liked Jack and Shelby and planned to get to know them better.

Marie watched from the window for most of the evening and was rewarded when she saw the horses enter the main street. The party had returned well before nightfall but to Marie’s amazement Mrs Greene and Tess were not with the men. Jack and Dan headed straight for the saloon but her husband and son turned toward the livery. She waited patiently for them to see to their horses and then greeted them at the door. After a prolonged hug with both of them she asked the question uppermost in her mind.

"Where is Mrs Greene?"

Ben removed his heavy coat and hung it over a chair "She stayed at the house."

"I thought she would come into town. It is not safe for them alone out there." Marie went about her kitchen chores as she spoke but her eyes kept going back to her husband.

"Margaret is a very determined lady. She isn’t about to let them drive her from her land. She says she is going to stay and continue to make a success of Luther’s dream. We may think she is foolhardy but I admire her spirit."

"But her ranch hands, are they not Mexicans?"

Ben nodded. "Most of them are, but she has some who have come west with wagon trains. She can handle a rifle and she has enough trusted people to help her for now. The army should be here in a few days. We’ll all feel safer then."

He reached for his youngest son and pulled him toward him in a hug. "You boys stay around the store until the army tell us its safe. No wandering off."

Erik pulled out a chair and sat between Ben and Adam. "I was gonna go see Tess, she’s mighty upset," he said slowly.

"I know, son, but not yet. Give it a day or two and we’ll ride out there. I promised Margaret we’d go out there again in a few days to check on her and Tess." He looked up as Marie set a plate of boiled ham before him. "Thank you." He put Joe to one side and indicated that the boy should sit for supper. "We buried Luther, but it was rather hurried. I think Margaret would like a proper service when she is calmer."

Adam took his plate of ham and set it down in front of him. "Jack says the army won’t do anything. They’ll show up, say they can’t find any bandits and be gone again. He says he’s seen it happen before. He thinks we should drive them out ourselves. He says we have enough men and guns to do it."

Ben frowned and gestured with his fork. "The army will send in a troop and that’s the last we’ll see of these bandits. They just need to know we have strength. We’ll let the law handle it, there is no need for vigilantes."

Adam was like a dog with a bone, he wouldn’t let it go. "Mr Stevens agrees with Jack. He and Jack have been stocking up on ammunition from the store."

Ben drew in a breath and spoke very slowly so that there was no misunderstanding. His temper was on a short fuse right now, especially with his eldest son on this subject. "Harry Stevens is hotheaded but he’s no doubt worried about his land and his family. He has some excuse. But Mr Roberts -" He emphasized the words, "- has views on many things and I disagree with most of them. Didn’t we already discuss this and your interest in him

Adam felt a warm flush creeping up, his neck. "Yes, Pa." He admitted reluctantly, ducking his head back down and concentrating on his food.

An army troop arrived two days later. Ben took advantage of the army escort to ride out with Erik to see Margaret Greene and her daughter. The captain in command of the troop was very young and Ben felt that Jack Roberts opinion might have been more valid than he had allowed. He gained confidence when the young man explained that his men would cover every trail out of town for at least fifty miles in an effort to track the bandits. After two weeks of nothing but cold trails and burnt out campfires the Captain admitted that he could do no more. In his opinion there were no bandits, Mexican or otherwise, within a fifty mile radius of Eagle Station. It had been a small raiding party that had now moved south. Other townships and settlements needed his men.

Ben stood with his sons and watched the troop ride away with regret even though he knew that the Captain had done his best. Eagle Station was a new vibrant community. It would survive and there was no immediate threat to keep an army troop here. The people of Eagle Station and the surrounding ranches and farms could sleep easily in their beds.

From a vantage point overlooking the trail to Sutter’s Fort a rider sat watching the soldiers leave. His high crown hat sat atop a wealth of black curly hair, which reached beyond his shoulders. He carried himself proudly and as the soldiers passed out of sight he smiled. He had withdrawn at the first approach of the soldiers, no sense in losing men when there was no need. They would winter quietly in the mountains but in the spring he would be back to wage war on these invaders. Joaquin Murietta did not give up so easily.

 

TO BE CONTINUED IN A Tangled Web and of course in the pilot and Joaquin episodes of The Ponderosa