A Hero’s Burden

by Hope

 

(Sequel to Demons of the Past)

 

This is a sequel to Demons of the Past. I referred to a few incidents from The Ponderosa episode "The Promise" in this story. I'd like to thank the writer of that episode and I hope he doesn't mind me continuing on the theme.

I'd like to thank the following terrific people: Kierin for all of her wonderful editing help and advice with this story (and posting it on the Angelfire Tales site), Becky for always being so helpful with historical info, Slim for his marvelous historical help also, and all of my great friends who encourage me in my writing. Thanks also go out to David Dortort for creating those wonderful Cartwrights and letting me borrow them for my stories. As always I want to thank Matt, Danny, Drew and Jared for their terrific portrayals of the Cartwrights which I try to capture in my tales. The usual disclaimers apply. Rated PG-13 for some violence.

 

 

Adam reached up with his right hand and gently set the music box on the shelf Pa had built specially for him in the boys' bedroom. It would be safe there - keeping temptation away from Little Joe's reach, and keeping his mother's music box safely out of the way of any future roughhousing.

Adam's hand lingered on it for a few moments as his mind drifted back to two weeks ago when Pa had given it to him. It was right after Adam had been foolishly lured away from his family and the Ponderosa, after his father had saved Adam from a man who had harbored a grudge against Ben Cartwright. The man, David Mandible, had used Adam as a pawn in his plot for revenge against Adam's father intending to kill Adam after tempting him to Boston.

The shoulder wound Adam had sustained in the resulting struggle was still healing, and that injury and the mental anguish of the whole matter were still fresh in Adam's mind.

But something good had come of it all, fortunately. Adam and his father had grown closer after realizing how much they meant to each other. They had spent time together on the long trip back from the way station where Adam had been injured and had talked out a number of issues they hadn't been able to discuss in the past.

Adam frowned as he recalled finally revealing to his father the reason he had been so angry with him and what lies Mandible had told.

Adam stepped away from the shelf and walked over to sit on the edge of his bed, leaning out a little so as not to hit his head against the top bunk. He rubbed his left shoulder which still hurt but not as bad as it had when he had first been shot. He was still utilizing a sling, and he flexed the fingers in his hand to exercise them while he thought back to the talk with his father.

The wood in the campfire crackled as Adam, seated before it one night, gazed absently at the glowing logs. His father had just finished getting the horses settled and was bent down putting another piece of wood on the fire. He glanced over at his son.

"What is it, Adam?"

Adam frowned a little and looked at him. "Nothing."

Ben half-smiled and waited, having just learned a little patience where this eldest son of his was concerned. At least the incident with Mandible had taught him something, Ben thought to himself.

"All right, Son. But if you decide you want to talk about it ..." Ben grabbed his saddlebags and started pulling out items so he could prepare dinner.

Adam appreciated his father's new found patience and felt he too had learned a little - maybe to try and be more open with his family.

"Pa, promise me you'll listen without saying anything - at least until I'm finished?"

Ben uncapped the canteen. "All right." He poured some of the water into the coffeepot.

Adam winced and grabbed at his left shoulder which had been injured by a bullet from Mandible's gun. The pain was still severe, especially after a long day of riding.

Concern filled Ben's eyes, but he held his tongue knowing Adam wouldn't want to be fussed over. He waited for Adam to tell him what was bothering him.

"Pa," Adam started. "A man I had never met came up to me in town one day and after introducing himself asked me if after all these years you had told me."

Ben remembered his promise to keep silent and gave his son a puzzled look.

Adam hesitated before continuing. "I asked him what he was talking about. He told me he had known you in Boston, and then he pulled me off to the side so no one else could hear what he was going to say."

Adam paused again. Ben's brow furrowed as he waited apprehensively.

Adam's voice cracked slightly as he finally revealed, "He told me you weren't my father."

The pain was evident in his eyes.

Ben was dumbfounded.

Adam couldn't face him. He gazed into the fire and added, "I know I shouldn't have believed him, Pa, but I was so stunned I couldn't even think straight."

Ben asked gently, "Why didn't you come to me, Son?"

"I don't know. I guess I just couldn't face the answer if he was telling the truth."

Ben could only imagine his son's torment. "Oh, Adam." He walked over and sat next to him, placing his hand on Adam's back.

Adam tried desperately to keep his feelings at bay. "I'm sorry, Pa."

Ben reached out to pull him into a strong embrace, mindful of Adam's injured shoulder and arm. "Son."

Perhaps it was because he was still recovering and because his defenses were lowered. Whatever the reason, Adam couldn't help himself and broke down. Ben's heart wrenched, and he realized how devastated his son must have been wondering if it was true.

"It's all right, Adam. It's over."

Adam whispered, "How could I have been so stupid?"

Ben silently cursed Mandible for all of the heartache he had caused his son.

"He was an evil, vengeful man, Adam. And he had been planning this for years. You just got caught up in his trap."

Adam pulled out of Ben's grasp. "But I didn't trust you - my own father."

It did disappoint Ben but he wouldn't admit it. Adam had suffered enough. "He was a very good liar, Son. I'm just so sorry you had to be pulled into this."

Adam turned away for a moment and quickly wiped at his eyes. He summoned up the courage to ask, "Can you forgive me?"

Ben put his hand on Adam's good shoulder and gently prodded him to face him.

"I love you, Adam. Of course I forgive you."

Adam again had to struggle to keep his emotions at bay. He whispered, "Thank you."

Ben squeezed his shoulder and asked softly, "Is that why you brought up the music box that night?"

Adam just nodded.

"Now you have to forgive me, Son. I had no idea why you were asking about it, and I didn't take the time to find out."

Adam remembered how much that had hurt. "You had no way of knowing."

"But I should've tried to understand."

His son just shrugged.

"So, how about it, Son?" Ben grinned to break the tension as he ventured, "Do you forgive your old man for being so thick?"

Adam looked at him and nodded - too overcome to answer.

Ben was satisfied. "It's all over now, all right? Mandible is gone and I've got my son back."

Adam smiled at last. "And I've got my father back."

Ben returned the smile. "Now -" He patted Adam on his right shoulder and stood up. "Let's see if I can get dinner started. It's beans again."

Adam chuckled slightly. "Well, if that's all you've got."

"'Til you get better and can go out hunting it's either beans or roast squirrel," he laughed as he looked down at his son.

Adam added with a smirk, "At least in Boston they don't have to have squirrel seven days a week."

"Don't start, Young Man," Ben replied with a wink and walked over to begin preparing the food.

Adam laughed.

He was brought back to the present when he heard the bedroom door open and got up to face whoever it was.

"Hey, Adam, ya comin' or not?" Little Joe asked impatiently.

The family was going to town for supplies.

"Yeah. Is Beauty saddled?"

"Uh huh. Hoss saddled her for ya."

Adam walked toward the door. "Well, what are you waiting for?" He strolled past his little brother.

Little Joe rolled his eyes, shook his head, and followed after him.

************

Ben drove the wagon as the family headed toward town. He looked over and could tell by the gleam in his three sons' eyes that they were getting ready to do something unwise. "Boys?" he cautioned.

Hoss whined, "Aw, Pa ..."

"Hoss, you know Adam shouldn't be racing Beauty until he's recovered."

Now it was Adam's turn to roll his eyes.

Little Joe complained, "But Hoss and I..."

Ben interrupted him, "Can just ride along with us."

Hoss and Joe looked over at Adam. Their older brother shrugged apologetically but didn't say anything. He hated being mollycoddled but was hesitant to argue with Pa, especially since they had been getting along so well since their trip. Adam decided to appease his father for now and forget about it. Besides, he thought to himself, Pa was probably right this time.

************

The boys were loading supplies in the wagon as a stranger came up to Ben as he was standing outside the Trading Post talking with Eli Orowitz. The wagon was parked two businesses down.

"Excuse me," the man said to Ben. "Are you Ben Cartwright?"

Ben took note of the badge the man was wearing. He answered a little warily, "Yes."

Eli looked on as the man said, "I'm Marshal Peters from Middle Gate."

That didn't have any significance to Ben, and he raised his eyebrows waiting for the man to continue.

Marshal Peters went on. "I want to talk to you about David Mandible if I may?"

Eli face registered concern, but he said, "Perhaps you gentlemen would like to speak in private. Ben, it was good to see you."

"Thanks, Eli." He watched Eli go into the Trading Post then he turned to the lawman.

Marshal Peters didn't mince words. "I came to tell you that Mandible has gone back to Boston."

Instantly Ben tensed. "What?"

The marshal raised his hand before Ben could say more. "I know he should be in prison right now but ..."

"Yes, he should. He tried to kill my son and he threatened to kill me!"

"I know. But the judge released him."

"How could he do that?"

"There were no witnesses."

Ben raised his voice as he exclaimed, "No witnesses? What about the stagecoach driver? He saw and heard everything!"

Adam looked in his direction.

The marshal held up his hand. "Calm down, Mr. Cartwright."

"Calm down?"

"If you'll just let me explain."

Adam started toward them. Ben saw him coming and waved him off, softening his expression so as not to concern his son. Hoss and Little Joe were arguing over candy, unaware of what was going on. Adam backed off but watched the other two men from a distance.

Ben lowered his voice. "All right, Marshal. Explain to me how the judge could let a killer go free."

"I had the statement of the driver to take to the hearing, but he was called away on some kind of family emergency. Mandible's attorney insisted Mandible had a right to question his accusers. There wasn't time to try and reach you and your son so ..."

"He was set free," Ben finished the statement, disgusted and at the same time growing concerned.

"Yes. Afterwards I told Mandible to get back to Boston and that if I ever caught him in my territory again I'd make sure the next changes stuck."

"Next charges," Ben mumbled.

"Mr. Cartwright, I made sure he boarded the next stage east and several days later I wired the sheriff in a town farther on who confirmed Mandible was still heading in that direction. So I think you and your son are safe."

"For now maybe." Ben shook his head and glanced over at Adam. Adam had turned around and was trying to solve the great candy dispute.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Cartwright. I did all I could."

Ben didn't answer for a few moments as his attention remained focused on his eldest son. Finally the marshal's words got through to him, and Ben held his hand toward the man. "Thank you, Marshal. I appreciate what you tried to do."

The marshal returned the handshake.

"Marshal, you've had a long trip. Why don't you stay at the Ponderosa tonight?"

"That's very kind of you, Mr. Cartwright, but I figure you'd probably like to talk to your son."

"Yes, I would. But you're welcome at my home."

Marshal Peters smiled gratefully but answered, "No, it's better for you if I don't.

Ben smiled back at the man though his gaze once more wandered in Adam's direction.

The marshal followed his gaze and remarked, "Those your sons?"

Ben nodded.

"Fine looking boys." He noted the eldest one with his arm in a sling. "How's Adam doing?"

Ben replied, "Oh, his shoulder's getting better - slowly. I think he's still troubled by what happened."

"That's a hard thing to forget." The marshal adjusted his hat. "Well, let me know if Mandible ever shows up. This is out of my jurisdiction, but maybe I can put in a few words with the judge if you ever need it."

"I hope it never comes to that, Marshal, but thank you."

The marshal had a serious expression on his face as he replied, "I do, too. Well, good luck."

"Thanks again, Marshal. Have a good trip." Ben watched the man walk away. Frowning, Ben joined his sons.

Adam looked up as his father reached them. "Who was that, Pa?"

Hoss and Little Joe had been totally oblivious to the stranger. They looked at their pa, curious.

"Just someone stopping in Eagle Station for a day or two."

Adam heard the tension in his father's voice and caught the look that had passed between father and son on so many occasions over the years - that "now isn't the time" look. Adam silently acknowledged getting the message with a quick nod and let the subject drop. He walked toward Beauty as Little Joe complained, "Pa, Hoss took most of the candy!"

"Did not!" Hoss countered.

Ben climbed up on the wagon as his sons mounted up. "We'll settle this later. Hop Sing's waiting for the supplies." He released the brake, slapped the reins lightly, and the family headed for home.

************

Adam waited until Little Joe, Hoss, and Hop Sing had turned in for the night before broaching the subject with his father.

"Pa, who was that today?"

Ben hesitated closing his book while deliberating on how he was going to break the news to his eldest son. Finally he set the book aside. "Adam, that was the marshal from Middle Gate." He hesitated once more. "Mandible has been released from jail and gone back to Boston."

Adam stared at his father in disbelief. "He's what?"

"It's all right, Son. He's gone for good."

Adam's eyes sparked with anger. "How can you say that?"

"The marshal warned him about ever setting foot in the territory again."

"Ha! Lotta good that'll do!"

"I know you're upset but ..."

"Aren't you, Pa? He tried to kill us!"

"Shhh." Ben held up his hands for Adam to keep his voice down. "I know."

Adam lowered his voice a little. "And they just let him go?"

Ben clasped his hands together as he tried to explain to his son. "The marshal said there were no witnesses so the judge had to drop the charges."

Adam jumped up. "No witnesses?"

Ben again motioned for him to talk more quietly. "The stagecoach driver couldn't be at the trial."

"Why not?"

"Seems there was a family emergency."

Adam chuckled slightly but he wasn't amused. "Oh, that's real convenient." He wandered over to the fireplace.

Ben had been thinking the same thing, wondering if Mandible had a hand in the driver's family emergency.

Adam turned back toward his father. "So what are we supposed to do?"

Ben took a breath and let it out considering their options. "I guess we just pray that he's gone for good."

Adam snorted. "Yeah. And look over our shoulders the rest of our lives."

"Adam ..."

"Pa, he's a dangerous man. Who knows what he'll do? He may even come after Little Joe or Hoss."

Ben bit his bottom lip. The thought had already occurred to him. "I don't know what else we can do, Son."

Adam unconsciously rubbed his injured shoulder. "I can't believe they let him go."

Ben got up and went over to him, resting his hand atop Adam's good shoulder. "We'll just have to be extra careful, Adam." He could tell by the look on Adam's face that this suggestion hadn't helped, but he didn't know what else to do. He added, "We won't tell your brothers anything about this."

"I think they need to know so they'll keep an eye out."

"No, I don't want to worry them yet. Not if Mandible has gone back to Boston for good."

"But ..."

"I think it's best, Adam. All right?"

Adam nodded half-heartedly.

Ben squeezed his son's shoulder. "It could be over, Adam. Maybe the time in jail brought Mandible to his senses."

Ever the skeptic, Adam responded, "Sure, Pa."

"Why don't you go to bed, Son? And don't worry about it. I think he'll stay away from us."

"And if he doesn't?"

Never was Ben Cartwright more resolute than when he stated, "Then I'll deal with him. He won't hurt my family again."

Adam wanted to be comforted by Pa's words, but he knew Mandible too well. He whispered, "Good night, Pa," then turned toward the bedroom, determined to also deal with Mandible if necessary to protect the family.

Ben watched him go and called softly, "Good night, Son."

Somehow he knew they hadn't seen the last of Mandible.

************

Adam was restless in his bed, his dreams fraught with visions of storm-tossed seas, Little Joe being chased by a shadowy figure and running for his life, Hoss perched precariously on the edge of a cliff as the rocks were slowing giving way under his feet, Mandible laughing as he taunted Adam over and over again, "He's not your father," and finally a loud gunshot that caused Adam to cry out in the night.

"Adam! Adam!" Hoss had jumped off his upper bunk and was trying to rouse his brother. Little Joe stood next to him, frightened.

Pa rushed in just as Adam came fully awake.

"What's wrong, boys?"

Little Joe reached over to turn up the lantern.

Adam sat up and was shaking. He ran his hand quickly through his hair trying to compose himself.

"Adam had a nightmare, Pa," Little Joe explained at the same time Adam realized what had happened.

Ben came toward him as Hoss and Joe parted to make room for their father. "You all right, Son?"

"Yeah," Adam replied a bit embarrassed. "I'm sorry I woke everybody up."

"Don't worry about it." Ben looked to his other sons and said, "Get to bed."

Hoss and Joe nodded. Joe climbed into bed, keeping a concerned eye on his brother. Hoss was going to climb up on his top bunk as soon as Pa got out of the way.

Ben scrutinized his eldest son. "Adam?"

"I'm fine, Pa." To prove it, he settled back against his pillow.

Though doubtful, Ben didn't press him. "All right. See you in the morning." He cast one last glance Adam's way, then turned to walk out. "Night, boys."

Hoss replied, "Night, Pa," and climbed up into his top bunk.

Joe also replied, "Night, Pa," and looked over toward Hoss. The brothers exchanged glances then settled into bed.

Adam turned down the lantern and rolled over, mindful of his bandaged shoulder. He was hesitant to fall asleep again on the chance the nightmares would return.

"Night, Adam," Little Joe called over.

"Night, Adam," Hoss also called out.

Adam sighed heavily before responding, "Night. Get to sleep." He looked out the window at the darkness and wished the sunrise would come more quickly.

************

It was the first of many troubled and sleepless nights for Adam Cartwright. He took to sleeping out in the main room near the fireplace so as not to disturb his brothers with his tossing and turning. Ben understood immediately and didn't try to talk him out of sleeping in a bedroll on the floor, though Ben hoped his son could soon return to sleeping in a decent bed.

Ben himself was uneasy and had restless nights, though not as severe as Adam's. Mandible remained as a shadow hovering over them each day and night. Even if it was true that Mandible would remain in Boston, just the threat of him returning was destroying whatever peace of mind Ben and Adam had regained since returning from their trip.

Ben let Hop Sing in on what was going on so he would be aware in case Ben's and Adam's fears were realized and Mandible returned. From that day forward Hop Sing maintained a subtle but vigilant watch over the family who had taken him in.

Over the next several weeks, Ben made sure that if the family went anywhere they at least went in pairs. It was for his own peace of mind as well as Adam's to know that Hoss and Joe weren't going off anywhere unsuspecting and without some measure of protection.

After several days of agonizing over it, Ben also finally gave in to Adam's long-held wish for a handgun. He couldn't take a chance on his son's life and would never have forgiven himself if he didn't give his son a chance to protect himself if he was ever threatened again. After deciding to get Adam a pistol, Ben made the decision to carry one, too. His family was his main concern now, and after the danger had passed he could always give it up again.

Father and son practiced together, away from the house and away from Little Joe's eager eyes. This wasn't a game they were playing, but there was a strong possibility Joe would see it that way.

Ben and Adam didn't let the others know they had the guns until several nights later when they were all at dinner.

Ben glanced at Adam then addressed the rest of the family. "I want you all to know that I've decided to let Adam have a pistol."

Hoss and Joe were stunned. Hop Sing nodded in understanding.

Little Joe piped up, "How come, Pa?"

"Yeah?" Hoss inquired.

"He's old enough to carry one now and he's mature enough to know when to use it." He smiled at his eldest son, who returned the smile.

"Pa, can I have one?" Hoss asked.

"When you get old enough, we'll talk about it."

"Me, too?" Joe asked excitedly.

"Don't hold your breath Little Joe," Hoss teased.

Little Joe tried to kick him under the table but Hoss moved his legs in time.

"Stop!" Ben warned. "I want you boys to know that I'll be carrying a pistol, too."

Now the two younger boys were really shocked.

Hoss looked at his father with concern. "Pa, how come you changed your mind all of a sudden?"

Now Little Joe was curious, too. "Yeah, Pa?"

"It's just something I decided to do." His next words were directed at his youngest son especially. "My gun and Adam's gun are off limits to everyone but Adam and me. Is that clear?"

Hoss answered without hesitation. "Yes, Pa."

Ben fixed a stern gaze on Joe. So did Adam.

"Little Joe?"

"Pa?"

"You're not to come anywhere near the guns. Is that understood?"

"Uh huh."

"I'm very serious about this. You're not to even go near the holsters."

Defensive, Joe pouted, "Don't just look at me! Tell Hoss, too."

"I'm talking to you right now, Son. Do you understand?"

Little Joe put his elbow on the table, rested his chin against the palm of his hand, and mumbled, "Yeah."

"Good. Now let's drop the subject and finish eating."

Little Joe dejectedly poked at his food. Hoss resumed eating with his usual gusto. Hop Sing kept an eye on them in amusement. Ben nodded slightly to Adam, relieved that the news was finally out, and Adam returned the nod and picked up his fork to finish his meal.

************

Nothing happened.

Weeks turned into months and there was no sign of Mandible. His freight-hauling business folded and the building was left deserted.

Adam's shoulder finally healed, and his nightmares diminished to the point that he eventually returned to his own bed.

Adam and his father continued to be cautious and vigilant but were hopeful that the threat of danger had passed.

The sight of Ben and Adam Cartwright wearing side arms had caused a stir among the townsfolk for a few weeks but eventually the novelty wore off and people no longer paid any mind to it.

Adam continued practicing with his pistol often alongside his father and well out of range of the Ponderosa. Ben was proud as he witnessed his son's growing marksmanship, yet he couldn't help feeling a trifle concerned that his son might get "too good" with the weapon, which could lead to new kinds of dangers in the future. He continuously reminded Adam that the pistol was only to be used for protection. Adam endured each reminder patiently, and amusedly thought he'd bear a lecture any day as long as he was able to keep the gun.

After the initial thrill of getting the pistol wore off, Adam soon came to realize the responsibilities that came along with having it. Some nights, after the rest of the family had gone to sleep, Adam lay in his bunk in the dark looking out the window at the stars and wondering whether he would use the weapon on another human being. He remembered the pain of being shot by Mandible's gun and the weeks and then months of struggling to regain full use of his arm. He tried to imagine the consequences of shooting another person. He might take a life as he had when he had used his rifle to stop a thief from harming his father and two other people a little more than a year ago. Adam recalled how hard it had been to tell the man's wife that her husband was dead and that he had pulled the trigger. He pictured the two little faces of the children the man left behind as they stood at the gravesite while Adam read from the Bible at the widow's request. He still saw their sad faces sometimes in his dreams. And the man's face haunted him to this day.

Adam also considered the possibility that he could maim someone for life with a bullet. He could cripple someone, blind someone, or heaven only knew what else if he shot them. The prospects were daunting, but he balanced them against the need to protect his family in the uncertain and dangerous world they lived in. He knew he had made the right choice in having the gun, but vowed only to use it if absolutely necessary, and only with great care.

Little Joe harassed him often to demonstrate his shooting prowess, but each time Adam begged off, reminding his little brother that it wasn't a game and that bullets cost money. Disgusted, Joe would let his eyes drift to the gunbelts left hanging on the pegs in the main room at night and dream of the day when he could pack a gun just like Adam.

One night Ben caught Little Joe coveting the guns a little too closely. He grabbed a lantern and promptly escorted his youngest son to the barn. Adam and Hoss were in their room getting ready for bed and could practically feel the walls vibrate as their father's voice carried over from the barn, reaching new volumes. Hoss looked at Adam and Adam looked at Hoss. They'd each been there many times before but this seemed to be the granddaddy of all barn discussions.

Hoss speculated, "Joe must'a touched one of the guns."

Adam pulled out of his last sleeve. "Uh huh."

Both brothers cringed as Pa's voice again raised to a new decibel.

Hoss pulled his shirt over his head. "Adam, ya think Pa will use the belt?"

Adam set his shirt aside. "Yep."

Hoss shook his head then hoisted himself up to the top bunk. "I wouldn't wanna be Joe now for all the candy in America."

Adam started to climb out of his pants. "Nope." He got the last leg out and laid the pants over a chair.

Suddenly there was quiet.

Hoss peered over the top bunk as Adam settled onto the bottom bunk in his long johns. "It's over?"

Adam listened to the stillness. "Part one seems to be." He reached for his book.

Hoss knew what part two was. He uttered morosely, "Yeah," and settled back in bed, grimacing as he thought of Little Joe's fate.

Adam listened for awhile longer then shook his head. He figured his youngest brother would be able to sit down painlessly again in about a month.

************

It was so cold one night in late November that Adam woke up and couldn't return to sleep. He finally got up to stoke the fire in the main room. He grabbed his blanket to put around his shoulders on the way out of the bedroom. His teeth were chattering and he considered making some coffee to warm up. Everyone else was sound asleep; it was still well before dawn.

As soon as he got the fire going good, he started over to retrieve the coffeepot. He glanced at one of the windows along the way and noticed the frost that had built up. He went over to peer outside at the moonlit meadow and smiled at seeing snowflakes falling gently to the earth. This was his favorite time of the year - the first snowfall. He headed for the bedroom to get dressed.

A short time later Adam stood outside on the front porch bundled up in his heavy coat and wearing gloves. The earth seemed to be at peace, and Adam felt the kind of contentment that always surrounded him when new snow glistened over a moon-swept meadow. He stayed outside for a long time just savoring the moment.

Several hours later, the two youngest Cartwright boys were facing a dilemma.

"Gol dang it! There ain't enough snow to make even one snowball!" Hoss complained.

Little Joe was bent over trying to put together enough flakes to make frosted ammunition.

Adam leaned against the corral with mirth in his eyes. "Forget it, men. It didn't snow hard enough or long enough."

Joe gave up and came over near Adam to pout. "Gosh darn it! Why did we have to do chores first? We could'a made some before."

"Joe, you know it was drizzling this morning and that melted most of the snow from last night."

"But ..."

"No 'buts.' You had to do chores first and now it's only just started coming down again. There'll be plenty of snow this winter. Don't worry."

Hoss finally gave up too and stood up disgustedly. He was about to head over to join his brothers when he spotted someone off in the distance. "Adam, look!"

Adam and Joe glanced in the direction Hoss was indicating. They saw a horse and rider coming quickly toward them. As the visitor got a little closer, the Cartwrights recognized Big Dan. He pulled his horse up as he neared the corral. "Whoa!"

"What is it?" Adam asked immediately.

Big Dan started to dismount as he announced, "Yer pa's been hurt - broke his leg!"

The boys hurried to him for more details.

Adam spoke up. "Where is he?"

"In town. His horse spooked. We brung him to Eli's house. Shelby's settin' his leg now."

Little Joe started toward the barn but Adam stopped him. "Joe, wait."

"Why? I wanna see him!"

"Yeah!" Hoss was ready to run off, too.

Adam tried to remain rational. He looked at Big Dan. "Daniel, can he be moved?"

"I reckon maybe once his leg's been set."

Adam turned to his brothers. "Hoss, get the wagon hitched. Joe, tell Hop Sing what's happened and that we need some blankets and pillows. I'll saddle Beauty and Paint."

Hoss and Joe nodded and ran off - Hoss toward the barn and Joe toward the house.

Big Dan tied his reins to the corral and advised Adam, "I'll help ya get the horses saddled."

"Thanks." Adam hurried into the barn with Big Dan following close behind.

************

That night Ben was settled on his bed with his broken right leg in splints and the leg propped on a pillow. Hop Sing removed a cup and saucer from the room as the three boys crowded around Ben's bed.

"How ya feel, Pa?" Hoss asked as worry etched on his face.

Ben winced a little. "I've felt better."

"How'd it happen, Pa?" Little Joe asked, eyeing the splints.

"Something spooked my horse." A thought occurred to him just then and he looked over at Adam. "Has he come back?"

Adam nodded. "Yeah. He's fine."

Ben let out a deep breath, relieved about the horse and weary from the day's events.

Adam frowned. "Maybe you better get some rest, Pa?"

Ben was finding it hard to keep his eyes open after the whiskey Shelby had supplied for the pain. "I think you're right."

"Call us if you need anything," Adam advised while turning down the lantern. He jerked his head toward the door as he told his brothers, "Come on, you two."

"Night, Pa," Hoss said, hesitant to leave.

"Good night, Hoss."

Little Joe was also hesitant to leave. It took a gentle tug on the arm from Adam before he finally made a move. "I'm goin'," he responded irritably. "Night, Pa."

"Night, Little Joe. I'll be all right."

His youngest son cast one last worried look back at his father before Adam ushered him out.

"Adam?" Ben called right before his eldest son left the room.

Adam turned back. "Yeah, Pa?"

Ben motioned for his son to come back in the room. "Close the door."

Adam did as he was asked and walked back over to the bed. "What is it?"

Ben shifted slightly on the bed and winced as his leg was jostled. He relayed through partially gritted teeth, "I don't know what spooked my horse."

At first it didn't register what his father was implying, but after a time Adam realized what he was thinking. "You don't think someone spooked him?"

"It was probably nothing, but I can't be sure. All of a sudden he just reared and took off."

A frown marred Adam's face. "Mandible?"

Ben hesitated, then answered, "I don't think so. It was probably nothing. But I just want you to keep an eye on things until I can get around better."

Adam considered the possibilities. He wanted his father to get some rest so he kept his thoughts to himself. "All right, Pa. I'll keep an eye out. Like you said, it was probably nothing."

"Right."

"Get some rest now."

Ben settled back, relieved he could rely on his son. "I will."

"Call if you need anything."

Ben nodded, then closed his eyes. Adam glanced at him one more time then left the room.

************

Adam headed out to check the stock before turning in. He had his heavy coat on once again. Though he loved the snow, he was glad it had stopped for awhile. He didn't need to deal with any more problems, such as getting snowed in.

He carried the lantern from the house and set it on a peg in the barn. The horses had been fed earlier and were half-dozing in their stalls. Beauty looked up as her master came in, and Adam walked over to her stall speaking softly to her. "Hey, Girl." Beauty came over by him and he patted her neck for a few moments before she bent down to nibble on some hay.

Adam walked over to his father's horse and went inside the stall to examine the animal. He didn't see anything unusual but grabbed the halter, leading the horse out and over by the lantern for a better inspection. Walking around and checking it over thoroughly, Adam noted a welt behind the horse's right flank. He rubbed his hand over it and the horse shifted slightly in discomfort. Adam patted the animal and talked soothingly while wondering what could've caused the welt.

He led the horse back into its stall and retrieved some salve to put on the wound. The horse again shifted a little, smarting from the salve. "Easy, Boy." Once he had finished with the animal, Adam went out, closed the stall, and stood there frowning as he tried to imagine what had really happened to his father.

************

"Adam! The horses are gone!" Little Joe cried as he came barreling into the house the next morning.

Adam was taking time for one more cup of coffee. He turned in his chair. "What? Slow down."

Hoss dropped his fork and hurried to the front door.

Joe repeated while out of breath, "The horses in the corral! They're gone!"

There had been six horses in the corral almost completely gentled which would've brought a decent price for the family. Adam bolted to the door, grabbed his holster and quickly strapped it on as Hoss threw on his coat and gloves. Little Joe got tired of waiting and hurried back out. Hop Sing came out of Ben's room with a concerned look on his face.

Adam shoved an arm into his coat. "Stay with Pa, Hop Sing. Some of the stock got loose." He followed on the heels of his middle brother.

Hop Sing watched the door close behind the boys.

************

Adam and Hoss looked morosely at the empty corral.

"Dang! We spent a lot of time on them!" Hoss complained.

Adam was trying to make sense of it. "I know the gate was closed last night because I checked."

"Well, somebody opened it 'cause they're gone now. And don't blame me this time!" Little Joe warned.

Adam snorted slightly, amused at his little brother's remark. He walked around to survey the tracks in the thin covering of snow that had fallen last night. His brothers followed his lead and checked around. Adam bent over and indicated with his hand, "Shod. Looks like three, maybe four."

Hoss bent down to get a closer look. "Yeah. Well, they weren't Injuns then."

Adam shook his head as he considered the possible culprits.

"What're we waitin' for?" Little Joe demanded. "Let's go git 'em!" He took a quick step toward the barn but was halted immediately by his oldest brother.

"Wait, Joe."

"Wait for what?"

"Just calm down and we'll think this through."

Hoss agreed with Joe. "We gotta git after them before they take off!"

"They've already taken off. And we can't just go riding off and leave the rest of the stock unfed and the chores unfinished."

"Well, me and Hoss will go after 'em then. You can stay and do chores!" Little Joe declared obstinately.

Hoss nodded his agreement.

Adam pictured Little Joe and Hoss taking off after horse thieves. If the situation wasn't so serious the thought would be laughable. "I'm in charge while Pa's hurt and you'll do as I say. We've gotta get supplies laid in before we get snowed in - which could happen any day. We'll do that first after we feed the stock, then we'll see if Daniel can help us track the horses."

"Awww!" Little Joe had been ready for an adventure and wasn't pleased. He kicked at some dirt and headed toward the barn. "Wish Hoss was in charge!"

Hoss shook his head at Adam and remarked, "Ya sound just like Pa." Disgusted, he followed after Joe.

Adam had more important issues on his mind at the moment but his brothers' words stung. He vigilantly surveyed the immediate area before heading off to join his brothers in the barn and secretly wished he could throw caution to the wind and run off after the horse thieves, too.

************

Adam told Pa what had happened before the boys left for town. He assured his father that he would keep a sharp eye out for trouble. Ben was hesitant to let his sons make the trip but Adam reminded him that they needed the supplies. Reluctantly, Ben finally agreed to it. "All right, Son. Just be careful."

"We will, Pa. Get some rest."

Ben watched as his eldest son left the room. How he wanted to go with them in case of danger. Were the supplies worth risking his sons' lives?

Something was going on. Even if his horse spooking had somehow been an accident, the stock getting out sure wasn't. Was there more trouble ahead? Frowning at the now closed door, Ben cursed his broken leg and whoever was responsible.

************

Big Dan had gone hunting so Adam left word with Shelby to ask him to drop by the ranch when he could.

Once the supplies were loaded and paid for, Hoss climbed up on the wagon, grabbed the reins, and released the brake as Adam and Little Joe mounted their horses. Adam kept a keen eye on the surroundings as he had been doing the whole trip.

"H'yah!" Hoss called out, slapping the reins. The horses started forward as Joe and Adam followed behind the wagon.

Several miles down the road, Adam was riding in the rear thinking of how they could recover the missing horses, and Little Joe was riding alongside the wagon teasing Hoss about ripping his pants back in town when he had bent down to pick up a sack of grain.

The thundering of hooves in the distance caught the boys' attention, and they turned their heads back in time to see three men on horseback storming their way.

At once the men started firing their guns in the boys' direction.

Adam immediately reached for his pistol and shouted, "Go, Hoss!"

Hoss turned forward and slapped the reins furiously. "H'yah! H'yah!"

Little Joe kicked Paint's sides as they raced alongside the wagon.

Adam followed them closely and turned back to fire a shot above the pursuers' heads. That didn't seem to deter the men.

Adam glanced ahead at his brothers, knowing the heavily laden wagon would soon be overtaken. "Joe! Take off!"

Joe looked back quickly and yelled, "No!"

Hoss hollered over to his little brother while keeping a steady eye on the road and a firm grip on the reins, "Go, Little Joe! We'll catch up!"

Adam again shouted as the bullets whizzed by, "Get out of here, Joe!" He turned back to fire off another shot.

Little Joe kicked his horse harder and Paint surged on ahead of the wagon. Joe cast one last look back, anxious for his brothers' safety.

The wagon careened around rocks as Hoss took a sharp turn. Adam glanced back again and saw that the men were gaining on them. Several more shots whizzed by and Adam tried to crouch down a little in the saddle to make himself a smaller target. His adrenaline was pumping. He kept count of the bullets in his pistol and fired at the men sparingly.

Fortunately none of the men's shots hit their targets as the men continued to get closer. Adam began thinking it was possible that they were missing intentionally or he or one of his brothers would surely have been hit by now.

"Go, Hoss!" Adam shouted again.

"I'm tryin!" Hoss called back at the same time the horses were taking another sharp turn. Something broke off from one of the wheels and then the wheel broke off, sending the wagon toppling over. Adam watched horrified as Hoss jumped free at the last minute and the team broke away. The wagon went crashing over the ridge as Adam jerked Beauty to a stop, jumped down and took cover behind a tree. He fired another shot at the men who had just begun to slow up, eventually coming to a halt in the distance. They fired once more in Adam's general direction, began laughing, and turned to ride off the other way.

Adam tried to see their faces but the men were too far away. The horses couldn't be identified either, as they were just brown and indistinguishable.

As soon as he saw the men ride off, Adam holstered his gun and ran toward the direction he'd seen Hoss jump. In the meantime, Little Joe rode up and quickly dismounted. "Where's Hoss?" he asked frantically.

"Hoss!" Adam hollered.

There was no response and Adam and Little Joe exchanged worried looks.

"Hoss!" Little Joe cried.

They finally heard a rustling nearby and breathed collective sighs of relief to hear a familiar, "Gol dang it!"

Hoss came limping out of the bushes, scrapes and cuts on his face and arms, one sleeve torn in several places, and limping.

Adam and Joe hurried over to him. Joe threw his arms around his burly brother. "Hoss!"

Hoss winced and replied, "I'm all right, Joe."

Adam scrutinized him. "You wanna sit down?"

"Nah." Hoss winced again and glanced around, while his little brother released his hold and smiled in relief. Hoss limped a little farther on. "Where's the wagon?"

Adam surveyed the area then wandered closer to the edge of the ridge. He looked down and informed his brothers, "Where do you think?"

Hoss limped over as Joe ran to the edge. Adam put his hand out to hold him back a little.

Hoss added one more, "Gol dang it! Now what do we do?"

Adam shook his head. "Looks like we go back without supplies."

Little Joe peered over the edge. "And without a wagon."

"Yep," Hoss said dolefully.

Little Joe looked up at his oldest brother. "Who were they, Adam?"

"Don't know."

"Why were they chasing us?"

"Who knows, Little Joe?" Adam saw Hoss wince again as he leaned over for a better view. "Hoss, we need to get you home so Hop Sing can fix you up."

"Yeah. But what about our stuff?"

"We can bring the team back tomorrow, if we can find them, and try and salvage some of it. There's nothing we can do right now."

Adam turned to his little brother. "Let Hoss ride with you."

"All right." Joe went over to retrieve Paint.

Hoss watched him go while rubbing his sore head. "What are we gonna tell Pa, Adam?"

Adam reached his arm out to help Hoss over to the road and as they went slowly toward Paint Adam responded dejectedly, "We tell him the truth."

************

Little Joe's eyes were wide and his mouth was going a mile a minute as he excitedly related to Pa everything that had happened.

Hoss and Adam exchanged amused glances as Little Joe embellished the story ever-so-slightly with Hoss's "death-defying leap" off the wagon and the fact that they had been pursued by "forty of the biggest, meanest bad guys God ever created."

Ben listened with a frown yet was noticeably amused at his youngest son's account of the events. He prodded, "Forty, Joe?"

"Well, uh - maybe just twenty."

Ben winked at his other sons, who were struggling to keep straight faces.

Joe went on to tell how Adam had shot it out with the bad guys, pistol blazing away, and how Joe decided he wouldn't run off and leave his brothers and rushed back, ready to look death in the eye just to protect them.

"So you saved the day, Little Joe?" his father asked innocently.

"Yeah! I must've scared 'em off."

"Good thing for your brothers you came back." Ben again winked at Hoss and Adam.

"Sure was or they'd 'a been goners!"

Ben smiled at him as Joe's brothers shook their heads.

"Yes, I guess so. Uh, Little Joe, would you get me some tea?"

"Sure, Pa." Joe scampered off, happy to be helping his father.

Ben turned to his other sons. "Hoss, are you all right?"

Hoss was battered and bruised and he ached all over but answered, "Yeah. Jus' a little sore."

"Maybe you better take it easy for a few days."

"Nah. We gotta find out who's doin' all this."

"I think we may know."

Hoss looked at his father, surprised, as Adam nodded.

"I'll let Adam fill you in later, when Joe's not around. Would you do me a favor, Son?"

"Sure, Pa."

"Keep Little Joe in the other room for a minute? I've got something to discuss with Adam."

"All right." Hoss left the room limping a little and closed the door.

Adam came closer to the bed. "Yeah, Pa?"

Ben rubbed at his leg and grimaced a little as he asked, "How did it go today?"

Adam cocked his eyebrows.

Ben added, "Using the gun."

"Oh." Adam looked down for a time, a little uncomfortable.

Ben scrutinized him. "Didn't want to shoot those men, did you?"

Adam just stood there.

"Adam, look at me."

Adam hesitated but finally looked up at his father. He found understanding in his father's eyes instead of the disappointment he was expecting to see.

"It's all right, Son."

"I couldn't do it, Pa."

"Tell me about it."

Adam walked a short distance away from the bed then turned back. "I had a chance to shoot them, but I just couldn't. I fired over their heads."

"You and your brothers were in danger."

"That's just it. Those men could've hit us. With all of the shots they fired at least one of the bullets should've hit one of us. But I realized they were just trying to scare us."

Ben said proudly, "You did right, Adam."

Adam came back over to him. "But Hoss could've been killed when the wagon overturned!"

"That's true."

"I should've protected him and Little Joe."

Ben adjusted his pillows a little, his back starting to cramp from being in the same position for so long. "Each situation is going to be different, Adam, and you'll have to make a split second decision. I know if it comes down to defending yourself or your family, you'll make the right choice."

Adam wasn't so sure and responded, "I didn't this time."

Ben let out a sigh, trying to find the wisdom to counsel his son.

"Adam, if those men hadn't stopped and instead kept coming toward you and the boys, you would have stopped them."

"But, Pa ..."

"You would have done what was necessary, Adam," Ben told him firmly.

Adam frowned, not truly convinced.

"It's a hard choice, Son. And I know you're still thinking about that man you had to kill last year."

Adam again only nodded.

"But you have to protect your family - and yourself."

His son answered half-heartily, "I suppose so."

"Trust your instincts, Son. I do."

Adam let the words sink in.

"I'm counting on you, Adam."

"I know, Pa." He took a step toward the door but turned back to say once more, "I know."

Ben caught the look on Adam's face as he left the room. Only then did Ben realize the heavy burden he had placed on his son's shoulders.

************

"What do you think they'll do next, Adam?"

Hoss and Adam were out in the barn discussing the problem. Adam had made sure Pa kept Little Joe occupied so he wouldn't be overhearing their conversation.

"I don't know. Maybe go after the cattle."

"How we gonna stop 'em?"

Adam considered it for a few moments. "I don't know that we can. We can't just stay out on the range all day and night. We need to keep an eye on the ranch."

"Yeah," Hoss agreed solemnly. He struck his hand on a stall in frustration. "Dang!"

"Tomorrow morning we'll go back and see what supplies we can save and strap them to the team."

"What about the wagon?"

"We'll have to see how bad it is. Maybe Daniel will be able to repair it."

"If not?"

"Then we'll have to buy another wagon - somehow."

Hoss walked over and kicked at some hay. "Horses gone. Supplies ruint. Wagon broke. And Pa's leg broke, too. If I had Mandible right now I'd ...!

"We don't know for sure it's him, Hoss."

"Well, whoever it is, when I git my hands on 'em ..."

Adam smiled and went over to his brother clapping him on the back. "Come on, Hoss. Let's go eat. Nothing we can do right now."

Hoss let out an exasperated sigh and nodded.

The brothers headed to the house with Adam glancing around the landscape as they walked.

************

The frigid air blew down on Hoss and Adam as they strapped the last of the supplies they were able to save on the horses. It wasn't snowing and the snow that had fallen the other day had long ago melted, but it sure was cold.

Adam finished tying down the ropes and rubbed his gloved hands together. "Let's go home. I'm freezing!"

"Me, too!" Hoss grabbed one of the leads and mounted his horse.

Adam grabbed the other lead and also got mounted. He pulled his coat collar up as they turned into the wind. He was disgusted that they weren't able to save much; the flour and sugar had spilled open and were ruined along with a number of other items.

************

It was late at night and the rest of the family had already gone to bed. Adam hadn't turned in yet as he was uneasy and wanted to keep an eye on things for awhile. He stoked the fire and went over to retrieve his holster, coat, gloves, and hat. He left his coat unbuttoned, wanting easier access to his pistol should he need it.

He quietly opened the front door and was hit with an instant blast of frigid air. It was painful but he went on out, closing the door tightly behind him.

The crescent moon was not enough to light the earth and Adam made his way cautiously and by instinct. He stepped off the porch and wandered over to the corral and barn area. There was something amiss but Adam couldn't put his finger on it. The wind blew harshly around him, and Adam stepped between the barn and house to have a windbreak as his eyes began to adjust to the darkness.

He heard a horse whinny and headed back over to the porch in the direction of the sound. He saw a slight glow over by the smokehouse and heard the sound of someone running off. Adam grabbed his pistol and ran toward the smokehouse, firing his pistol in the air. "Stop!"

It was so dark he couldn't see who it was but heard horses riding off quickly. Adam knew he couldn't stop whoever it was and turned back to see the smokehouse beginning to erupt in flames.

Hoss, Hop Sing, and Little Joe came running out of the house in bedclothes, having been alerted by the gunfire, and were throwing their coats on along the way.

Adam shouted, "Get water and shovels! The smokehouse is on fire!" He ran to retrieve a bucket of water, holstering his gun on the way.

Instantly the others sprang into action.

Meanwhile, Ben had heard the shot and was trying to get out of bed. He swung his broken leg over and cried out in pain as his foot touched the floor.

The others desperately tried to fight the flames before the wind could spread the fire to the house. Adam had grabbed one of the shovels and was furiously shoveling dirt on the fire as Hoss, Hop Sing, and Little Joe continued dosing it with water. At last the final flames flickered and they had won the battle. Joe was coughing as smoke lingered in the air. Adam continued to pile dirt on the blackened areas and kick dirt around to make sure the fire was completely out.

Pa came out of the front door, balanced on his good leg, lantern in hand, gasping and gripping onto the doorframe. "What's going on?"

Little Joe ran over to him. "Pa!" He put an arm around to help support him.

Hop Sing rushed over to support him also.

Hoss called over, "The smokehouse caught fire!"

The rest of the family was shivering. Adam advised, "Everyone get back in the house. I'll make sure the fire's completely out."

Ben grimaced as he asked, "What happened?"

"Someone set it," Adam related. "Get back inside. They're gone now."

Ben frowned, nodded, then turned slightly to let Hop Sing and Little Joe help him back inside. Hoss stayed behind with Adam.

"Go ahead, Hoss. I got it."

"You comin' in, Adam?"

"Yeah, in a few minutes. I just want to make sure there are no embers left to start up again."

Hoss rubbed his ungloved hands together and blew into them. "All right." He went toward the porch.

Adam stayed awhile longer to be absolutely certain that the fire was out then looked out over the darkened meadow in the direction the intruders had ridden off.

Another close call. Adam drew his eyebrows together and decided enough was enough.

************

Adam stayed up the rest of the night keeping an eye out for trouble and wondering how to stop the people who were out to get the family. Whoever had been attacking them - Pa in town, he and his brothers on the way back from town, and the two incidents at the ranch - had to be staying close enough in the area to pull these things off. But where? Adam figured they wouldn't be camping nearby in the frigid weather. The only other logical possibility, unless someone in the area was putting them up - an idea which Adam nixed immediately, was the homestead where the Covingtons had previously lived.

The next morning as Adam rode over there he recalled the day he had gone to tell Mrs. Covington he had killed her husband in order to prevent him from harming his father or others when the man was trying to rob them. Adam found the family dirt poor and struggling. They had taken up residence on an abandoned homestead on their way west and were doing their best to survive.

It was to this place Adam rode once again.

He was cautious and made sure there were no other horses tethered nearby. Getting off Beauty, he scanned the area. The house supposedly hadn't been occupied since Mrs. Covington took her children and moved to Sacramento. As Adam walked to the far side of the building, the corners of his mouth quirked up at seeing the Cartwrights' missing horses grazing off in the distance. His instincts had been right.

Adam cautiously approached the front door, drawing and cocking his pistol as he reached for the latch. Pushing the door open, he rushed inside and took in the one room shack in one swift movement as he held his pistol at the ready. No one was there.

Adam uncocked the gun and walked around. There were dirty plates on the table, littered with food particles. Adam picked up one of the plates to examine it and decided someone had been there recently. He went over by the fireplace. Logs were stacked haphazardly nearby. Taking off a glove and reaching down into the blackened remains of the fire, Adam felt some warmth. The fire had gone out not long ago.

Adam stood up and again walked around. There was a man's shirt tossed on the floor, coffee and other staples by the table, and a couple of bottles of whiskey on a shelf, one half empty and the other almost full.

Adam holstered his gun and left, satisfied. He decided he'd return for the horses when the time was right and he had more help.

************

Adam had left Hoss to keep an eye on everyone at the ranch. Gray skies threatened above as Adam rode back home to find Big Dan talking with his middle brother. Dismounting, Adam went over to join them.

He removed his glove from his right hand and reached out to their visitor. "Daniel, thanks for coming."

"Sure thing, Adam." Big Dan returned the handshake. "Sorry to hear about all the trouble."

They could see their frosty breath in front of them as they spoke.

Putting his glove back on, Adam stated, "We could use your help."

"Anything I can do."

"We need help seeing if the wagon can be fixed, but first we need to track down whoever is responsible and stop them before they can do anything else."

Hoss added, "And we gotta find the horses."

"I found them, Hoss."

Both Hoss and Big Dan were surprised at this news. Hoss quickly cut in, "Where?"

"I'll fill you in later. I need you to stay here and keep watch." Adam glanced around. "Where's your rifle?"

"In the house."

"Better keep it with you. We don't know what they're going to try next."

"All right. What are you gonna do?"

Adam looked to Big Dan to see if he concurred as Adam told Hoss, "We're going after them."

Big Dan nodded once. "You ready?"

"Yeah. Hoss, don't say anything to Pa or the others. They'll just worry."

"All right. You be careful, Brother."

"We will." Adam mounted up once more as Big Dan did likewise.

Hoss had a concerned look on his face as he watched them ride off. He turned to go to the house.

Adam and Big Dan circled the immediate area to make sure there were no intruders lurking then they headed out, riding side by side.

************

Just as Adam had suspected, he and Big Dan eventually spotted three men herding cattle along - Ponderosa cattle. The three were armed with guns in their holsters and rifles on the saddles. They were drifters from the looks of them. Adam couldn't recall seeing any of them recently in town, but they were riding brown horses, similar to the ones the men who had attacked Adam and his brothers had ridden the other day.

Big Dan and Adam hid alongside some trees and watched from a distance.

"What da ya wanna do, Adam?"

Adam had his pistol in his hand and Big Dan had his rifle.

"If we fire the guns, the herd will scatter."

"Yep."

"Let's follow them. I think I know where they're heading." Adam holstered his gun and moved off.

Daniel nodded and followed Adam back to the horses.

************

Pa sat on the settee with a pair of crutches nearby. Hop Sing handed him a steaming cup of coffee.

"Thanks, Hop Sing." Ben sipped at his beverage carefully.

Little Joe and Hoss came inside the house. Hoss set the rifle to the side and he and Joe began removing their coats and gloves.

"Dinner almost ready," Hop Sing advised them.

"Good! I'm starving!" Little Joe announced.

Hop Sing smiled and went over to finish cooking. Hoss and Little Joe came over by their father. Hoss stooped to add some more wood to the fire.

Someone was missing.

"Where's Adam, Hoss?"

"Uh - he had some things to take care of, Pa." Hoss delayed turning around to face his father.

"Go call him."

Little Joe looked at Hoss aware that Adam wasn't on the ranch. "He ain't here, Pa."

Trapped, Hoss got up and turned around. "Uh, yeah, that's right. He ain't here."

Ben sensed something was up. "Where is he?"

"He uh, said he, uh, had to go check the herd." Hoss was pleased with his quick thinking. "Yep. He's checking the herd."

Ben rubbed his leg and took a hesitant breath as he felt a few sharp pains. "Hoss?"

Little Joe also figured something was going on.

Hoss's brow furrowed as he asked, "Yeah, Pa?"

"Where's your brother?"

"Uh, he'll be back soon."

"Maybe he went with Big Dan, Pa?" Little Joe cut in.

Hoss cringed.

Ben addressed his middle son specifically. "Daniel was here?"

"Gee, uh," Hoss stammered. "I think so."

"Hoss, I want a straight answer. Now."

Hoss scratched at his head. He could feel Pa's steely eyes focused directly on him as if they were burning a hole through his brain. "Gol dang, it."

"Hoss?"

"But, Pa, Adam asked me not to say anything."

Little Joe's eyes lit up. "He went after the bad guys, didn't he?"

Hoss shot Joe a look to hush up.

Hop Sing observed from a distance, growing concerned.

Ben was already worried. "Where did he go?"

"I'm really not sher, Pa. But Big Dan is with him. He'll be all right." Hoss didn't feel as confident as he hoped he sounded.

"When he gets back, he's to see me, is that understood?"

"Yeah, Pa."

Ben shifted slightly on the settee and his breath caught at the pain. "Help Hop Sing get dinner on the table, you two."

Both sons nodded and went over to assist Hop Sing. Little Joe glanced up at Hoss as they headed to that area. "Adam's gonna shoot it out with the bad guys!" he whispered.

"Shut up, Joe," Hoss also whispered, but irritably.

"But ..."

"This ain't no game!" Hoss grabbed a plate and ignored Joe's pout at being scolded.

************

Adam and Big Dan followed the men and cattle back to the Covingtons' old homestead. The men left the herd to graze on the sparse grass, tethered their horses nearby, and went inside the shack.

Adam and Daniel dismounted, left their horses tied well out of view, and drew their pistols as they crept toward the house. Light snow had begun falling as the temperature continued to drop. The two of them were concealed along the side of the house as they heard the front door open. They hurried around to the back. One of the men had come out to retrieve some water from the nearby stream. He pulled his collar up, grabbed a bucket, and headed off in that direction. Adam smiled conspiratorially at Daniel and they followed the man, dodging behind bushes and trees so as not to be spotted.

The man bent down to scoop water into the bucket. He froze upon hearing,

"Don't move!" Adam cocked his gun and walked over as Big Dan came on the man from the other side with his pistol aimed.

The man kept his position while his eyes darted from side to side.

"Let the bucket drop and raise your hands - slowly," Adam ordered.

Daniel put in quickly, "Do as the man says!"

The man let the bucket fall and raised his hands. "What da ya want?" he sneered.

Big Dan pulled the man's gun out of his holster and threw it far into some bushes.

"We want you to get up and turn around - easy," Adam advised.

The man did as he was told, keeping an eye out for the first opportunity to escape. Big Dan and Adam kept a cautious watch on him.

Adam indicated with his pistol the direction of the house. "Go."

The man was stubborn at first but with two weapons cocked and aimed his way, he finally complied.

************

Big Dan and Adam herded the man back to the homestead and around back. They found a piece of rawhide and tied his hands behind him. Once the man was secured, Adam grabbed him and pushed him hard up against a tree, placing his pistol alongside the man's head. As the gun was pressed to the man's temple, Adam warned, "You and your friends put my family in danger and could've killed them so I won't hesitate to kill you if you try anything."

The man sneered, "Nobody got kilt!"

Adam's mouth quirked into a grin. He pressed the gun harder into the temple and responded ominously, "Yet."

The man eyed him skeptically but saw the determined look in Adam's eyes.

Adam added with certainty, "You can warn your friends, but you'll be the first one who takes a bullet."

The man stared at Adam trying to gauge his sincerity, then glanced over at Big Dan. Daniel confirmed Adam's words with a harsh, "Boy means what he says."

Adam cocked the pistol. "You going to cooperate?"

The man again tried to read Adam. After a few moments, he nodded hesitantly. Adam uncocked the gun and Daniel grabbed the man's arm to jerk him toward the front of the house.

The snow was coming down a little harder now.

Big Dan and Adam had a grip on each of the man's arms and had him along the side of the porch. Adam whispered, "Get your friends out here." He once again cocked his pistol.

The man's hands were tied tightly behind his back with no chance to get loose. He didn't have much of a choice. "Steve! Farley! Git out here!"

Adam and Big Dan waited tensely.

Adam nudged the man with the pistol. "Call them again. Louder!"

The man shouted, "Steve! Farley! Gimme a hand!"

Pulling back out of sight with the hostage, Adam and Big Dan had their weapons ready. After a few moments they heard the front door opening.

One of the other men called as he came out on the porch, "Where are ya?"

His partner joined him and glanced around. "Where is that fool?"

The first man headed over by the horses as the second man looked around one more time then followed his partner. Big Dan shoved the hostage to the ground and he and Adam rushed out with weapons covering the men.

"Hold it!" Daniel shouted.

The men immediately started reaching for their weapons. Adam fired quickly and carefully and got the first man in the hand. The man cried out as his weapon was jerked out and away from him. Big Dan fired his gun at the same moment and got the second man in the leg. He collapsed to the ground. Big Dan and Adam rushed over and hurriedly kicked the two men's weapons away. Meanwhile their hostage had gotten up off the ground. Adam glanced his way and motioned with his pistol to come over. The man sneered but complied.

Adam looked around and saw a lariat on one of the saddles. He retrieved it and held it out so Big Dan could cut it to use on the men.

Once the two other men were tied, Daniel set about stopping the blood flowing from their wounds. Adam went to the man they had used as a hostage. "Who hired you?"

The man just laughed at him, buoyed by his friends close proximity.

Adam grinned sinisterly and grabbed the remaining rope. It was getting a little difficult to see because the snow was falling even harder. Adam remarked to Daniel as he threw the rope around the original hostage and pulled it tight while leaving extra slack to secure elsewhere, "Daniel, how long ya think a man can stay out in the snow without freezing to death?"

Daniel looked up from his doctoring work and replied casually, "Uh, I don't rightly know, Adam. Reckon maybe several hours?"

"How about if we soaked him down first with the water from the stream - the stuff that isn't rock solid yet?"

"Hmmm. That would probably hurry things along."

Adam grabbed the man roughly by the arm and began leading him toward the stream.

"Ya ain't gonna leave me out to freeze ta death," the man sneered.

Adam kept walking. "No?"

"Nah. T'ain't right."

Adam snorted. "Oh. But it's right to burn a family out? Or spook a man's horse? Or chase someone till their wagon flips over?"

"I told ya - nobody got kilt!"

"Oh, I'm not gonna kill you. I'm gonna let the weather do it."

Adam continued leading his captive roughly toward the stream.

One of his friends called from the distance. "Don't say anything, Burke!"

Big Dan silenced him with a fist in the face. The man's other friend looked on, shocked, and held his tongue.

Adam jerked his hostage forward as they neared the stream. Adam let go of the man and bent down to retrieve the bucket the man had left earlier. He scooped some of the icy water into the bucket. Once that was done he sauntered over to the man. "Who hired you?"

The man remained silent.

Adam drenched him with the bucket's contents. Stung by the cold, the man shrieked.

Adam smirked then yanked the man over to a tree. He secured the man to the tree with the remaining length of rope and remarked, "Maybe one of your friends will talk."

The man watched him walk away. The snowfall continued to intensify. Adam was almost out of sight. The man struggled against his bonds, but they were extremely secure. There would be no escaping from them. The man also realized his friends wouldn't be much help.

"All right!" he hollered with teeth beginning to chatter. "All right! I'll tell ya!"

Adam stopped but didn't turn around immediately. He half-smiled then calmly strolled back over to the man.

************

Jack Wolf turned up his collar as he headed over to his livery. He had been interrupted from enjoying one of his ladies' company when someone had knocked on the door and announced that the livery had been broken into. Angrily Jack Wolf threw on his clothes as he headed down the stairs. There were only a few customers left at that late hour and he drew a few stares as he went out with hair mussed and shirttail hanging out. He grabbed his coat and holster on the way and was shoving an arm into the coat as he ventured out into the dark, snowy night, grousing as he went.

He buckled his holster and drew his weapon as he neared his livery. Once he arrived, he opened the door and reached into his pocket for a match. Striking it on the side of the building, he grabbed a lantern, lit the wick, then glanced around.

Nothing was amiss. Growing angrier by the minute he pulled the door closed behind him to keep out the cold and walked farther over by the stalls. He stood there scanning the horses and stalls and tensed slightly as he heard,

"Hello, Jack."

Wolf turned, weapon aimed. He found Adam Cartwright, also with gun in hand, smiling slightly.

"Cartwright! What are ya doin' here?" he demanded while lowering his gun.

"Looking for you."

"Well ya found me. I could'a killed ya, ya fool!"

Adam smiled broadened a little as he asked, "Been trying?"

Jack snarled, "What's that s'pposed ta mean?"

Adam had his weapon aimed at him. "I met some of your friends today, Jack."

"Ah don't know what yer talkin' 'bout. And put that gun away!"

Adam walked a little to the side, keeping the gun trained on Jack. "Yeah, we had a very interesting conversation."

Jack cocked an eyebrow at him. "That so? What about?"

Adam answered pleasantly, "I think you know what it was about, Jack."

"I don't have the slightest idea, Cartwright. Now ya can jus' leave my livery before I shoot you as an intruder."

"Oh, that would be a convenient excuse, wouldn't it?"

"Look, Boy. I ain't in no mood for games."

Adam's face turned deadly serious. "Neither am I, Jack."

"Get to the point then."

"I know it was you."

Jack's face assumed an innocent look. "Ah don't know what ya mean."

"You hired those men to destroy us and chase us off the Ponderosa."

Jack snorted.

"You could've killed my father - and Hoss - and Little Joe."

"Ya can't prove nothin'."

"Can't I?"

Jack shook his head confidently.

Adam called over his shoulder, "Daniel?"

Big Dan appeared with their original hostage tied and gagged. Wolf look stricken for a moment then quickly recovered.

"It's his word against mine. And he's jus' a two-bit drifter!"

"Yes, but we have two other men to back him up."

Adam smiled over at Daniel for confirmation as Jack, unbeknownst to Adam, was beginning to raise his gun and take aim. Big Dan saw this and shouted, "Adam!"

Adam turned in time to see what was happening and dove for cover just as Jack pulled the trigger. Adam managed to get off a shot as he was hit. Big Dan pushed the hostage down and rushed over to him.

"Adam!"

Adam had been hit in the side, the bullet going clean through. He was a little dazed at first and didn't realize he'd been shot. He tried to sit up.

"Easy," Big Dan cautioned while helping him to a sitting position against one of the stalls. Adam grimaced. Daniel reached for his neckerchief then pressed it against the wound.

Wincing, Adam began to remember what had happened. He whispered while trying to catch his breath, "Where's Jack?"

In the meantime the town was waking up, alerted by the gunfire. People threw open the doors to the livery letting a blast of cold air rush in. Shelby was one of the first ones to arrive, weapon in hand. "What's goin' on?" she bellowed.

"Adam Cartwright's been shot," Daniel called out.

Shelby hurried over. Eli Orowitz joined others rushing in and saw what was going on. "What happened?"

Adam said hesitantly through clenched teeth, "Wolf was the one who's been after my family."

Shelby's face registered shock then she realized that Adam was bleeding from the back also. She reached up for his neckerchief, and quickly used it to try and stop the bleeding.

Eli looked around and saw Jack lying a short distance away on the ground. He bent over to examine him then stood up. "Jack Wolf is dead."

Adam closed his eyes. He had taken another life.

"Let's git Adam outta here," Shelby suggested.

"Bring him to my house," Eli offered.

Big Dan and Eli helped Adam stand. Adam gasped as he stood up and felt lightheaded. Eli supported him from one side as Big Dan supported his other side while keeping the neckerchief against the entry wound.

"Yer gonna be all right, Adam," Shelby advised while keeping the other neckerchief firmly in place in the back.

Adam nodded slightly and grimaced as he was helped slowly out of the livery. The crowd that had gathered parted to let them through.

************

Ben had waited up all night, desperate to hear that his son was all right. The snow had stopped falling around midnight and a few inches remained on the ground.

Ben was seated at the table as Hop Sing brought him another cup of coffee. It was after eight in the morning and Ben was exhausted and extremely worried. Hoss had offered to go out and look for Adam, but Ben wouldn't hear of it. One son possibly in danger was enough. Ben could only hope and pray that his eldest son would be all right.

An hour later Little Joe came running in. "Pa! Someone's comin'!"

Ben struggled up on his crutches as Hop Sing assisted and helped him over to the door. Little Joe had left the door open and the cold air poured in. Hoss was on the porch straining to see who was coming in the distance. There were several riders and a wagon headed toward the house. Hoss turned at the sound of his father coming out then turned back to try and see who it could be.

Ben also strained to see who it was as Hop Sing helped him into his coat. The group in the distance grew closer.

Finally the Cartwrights recognized Adam's horse being led by Big Dan, Shelby's horse with Shelby atop it, and Eli driving the wagon. But there was no sign of Adam. Ben's worst fears were being confirmed. He struggled out onto the porch with Hop Sing assisting and muttered, "Not Adam." Hop Sing watched with a frown.

When the wagon and riders had finally come close enough, Hoss shouted, "Adam!" and went running to the wagon followed by Little Joe. Ben felt sickened, thinking his son's body was in back. He didn't know if he had the courage to look.

"Pa, he's alive!" Hoss called out.

Adam responded weakly as he struggled to sit up with Daniel's help, "Of course I'm alive."

Ben closed his eyes for a moment in a silent prayer of thanks then watched as Big Dan, Hoss and Eli carefully helped his son toward the house.

"Easy," Big Dan advised.

Adam winced with every step he took.

"You all right, Son?"

Shelby spoke up for him, "He'll be fine, Ben. Just a little shot up."

Little Joe's eyes got wide. "Did ja git the bad guys, Adam?"

Adam laughed slightly, then grimaced at the pain. He could barely be heard as he responded with difficulty, "Looks like they got me, Joe." Little Joe rushed over to help with his brother as the group reached the porch. Ben maneuvered out of their way.

Eli caught the look of concern on Ben's face as they went by. "He will be all right, Ben."

Ben nodded his thanks.

Once inside, Ben directed his friends to put Adam in his bedroom. Ben followed them in with Hop Sing's assistance.

Getting settled on the bed after being helped out of his heavy coat, Adam winced and whispered to his helpers, "Thanks."

"We outta be thankin' you, Adam," Shelby teased lightly. "You took care of our biggest problem."

Adam knew she meant Jack Wolf and didn't see the humor in taking a life. Ben and the rest of the family looked questioningly at them.

"What da ya mean, Shelby?" Hoss asked.

Big Dan offered, "Adam had ta kill Jack Wolf."

Just hearing the words made Adam feel sick inside.

Ben and the rest of the family were shocked. "What happened?"

"We'll tell you about it, Ben. But I think Adam should rest," Eli suggested.

Hop Sing concurred as he noted the pale look on Adam's face. "Mr. Orowitz is right. Please, all go now."

Adam closed his eyes as the pain seared through him.

"Come on, everyone," Ben encouraged as he maneuvered his crutches to the door. He glanced back at Adam. "I'll be back soon, Son."

Adam just nodded and Hop Sing stayed behind to assist in case Adam needed something.

As Hoss pulled the door closed, Ben was helped over to a chair. He carefully sat down and looked toward his guests. "What happened?"

Shelby told him, "Jack Wolf was the cause of all yer troubles."

"Wolf?"

Hoss and Joe listened spellbound.

"Yeah." Big Dan spoke up. "Adam and me found the men he hired to do them things ta you and yer family. Then one of 'em told us Wolf hired 'em. Adam confronted Wolf in the livery and Wolf shot him but not before Adam could shoot back. Jack Wolf ain't gonna bother nobody never again."

Ben mumbled to himself in disbelief, "Jack?"

"Yeah," Shelby added. "I knew he was mean, but never expected he'd pull somethin' like that."

"He was probably trying to get The Ponderosa, Ben," Eli ventured.

"Why that no good, son of a..." Hoss started.

"Hoss," Ben warned.

"Well he was, Pa!" Joe put in.

"The man is dead. Let's just leave it at that." He turned toward his guests. "How bad was Adam hit?"

Shelby drew out a stogie and struck a match. "Bullet hit him below the ribcage. Went clean through. Don't look like it hit nothin' important." She got the stogie going and took a few drags on it. "He'll need to keep still for awhile, then take it easy, but I think he'll be all right. Jus' watch fer fever."

"We will." Ben let out a long breath of relief. "Shelby, Daniel, and Eli, I'd like to thank all of you for what you did for Adam and for us."

Big Dan remarked, "That son of yours is sure somethin'. Didn't know he had it in 'im but he sure took care of those men - and Jack Wolf."

"Yeah, Ben," Shelby threw in. "And don't go blamin' Adam none. He just did what he had ta do ta stay alive."

Eli concurred.

"Adam's a hero, Pa!" Little Joe piped up.

"I'm sure he doesn't feel much like a hero, Son - taking a life."

"But he protected us, Pa - and got the bad guys!"

The guests grinned at Little Joe's assessment.

"Little Joe's right, Pa." Hoss understood that Adam would feel terrible about having killed someone, even Jack, but he figured his brother must have had no choice.

Ben knew Adam and realized he would carry this around with him for the rest of his life.

Ben realized too how proud he was of his oldest son.

He pulled Little Joe over by the arm and playfully mussed his hair. "I guess you're right, Little Joe. Your brother is a hero."

The others echoed their agreement as Little Joe swiped his hair back into place.

Hoss came over and also playfully mussed Joe's hair as he mimicked Pa's words, "Yer right, Little Joe."

Their friends chuckled at the antics.

Little Joe squirmed away. "Quit!" When he was far enough out of reach, he announced, "Just wait 'til I can have a gun. I'm gonna shoot all the bad guys!"

Ben cringed just thinking about his youngest son ever being armed.

Shelby grinned, "You jus' let me know when yer old enough ta have one, Little Joe. I wanna make sher I'm clean outta the territory!"

"Me, too!" Daniel laughed.

Eli and Hoss joined in the laughter.

"Aw!" Joe pouted. "That ain't funny!"

His brother joked, "It ain't funny, Brother. It's just real scary!"

"Pa!" Little Joe protested.

Ben couldn't help but chuckle. "I'm sorry, Little Joe, but Hoss is right - it is scary."

 

THE END