A Grandfather's Love

By Koko

 

Little Joe stared, mesmerized at the stately looking, elderly gentleman who had just entered Orowitz' General Post after exiting the stage in Eagle Station. What was it that intrigued Little Joe so much about this tall, gray haired man with a full, but well groomed beard. Curiosity getting the best of Little Joe and his manners, he looked up at the new stranger in town and said, "Hey Mister". "Aye, lad", replied the elderly gentleman. "Well, I was just wondering, why are you dressed like that? I mean, your hat, I've never seen anything like that around here, and what are those shiny medals and yellow stripes on your coat sleeves. I mean, you look like you're someone important – a general in the army, is that what you are? Sir?" Rubbing Little Joe on the head and laughing, the stranger replied, "No lad, I'm not a general, but a retired sailing ship captain, or as some people say, an old salt of the sea." Little Joe's eyes widened as he had often heard his father refer to sailing men as "salts of the sea". "Golly, sir, my pa was a sailor, he sailed the whole world and wow, what stories he has told to me and my brothers, I mean, my brothers and me. Maybe you know him, his name is…."

"Joseph!" Little Joe's attention was immediately drawn to the familiar voice of his father who had just entered the Post. "Yes Pa!", Little Joe replied respectfully, but timidly. Ben continued, "Didn't I tell you to come right back to the wagon after buying candy from Mr. & Mrs. Orowitz? I have a good mind to let Eli and Ruth keep that candy as a reminder that when I tell you to do something, you must do it. This time, I'm just giving you a warning. However, next time you don't obey me, not getting candy will be the least of your concerns, but the discussion you and I will have in the barn when we get home. Do I make myself clear young man." "Yes sir, but Pa!", whined Little Joe, "I'm sorry, it's just that, well, I was just telling this salty man about you and the sea." "Salty man, Joseph, what are you talking about?" Seeing the young boy's dilemma, the elderly gentleman walked up to his new friend's father with an out-stretched hand of friendship, "Sir, don't blame the lad", then he suddenly stopped, "Benjamin, son, is that you!" Ben's eyes immediately filled with tears of recognition, for it was his beloved Elizabeth's father, Captain Abel Stoddard who now stood before him. "Sir, Abel, I can't believe you are still alive and here, and well, sir", Ben's voice broke as he wrapped his arms around the man who was not only his father-in-law and friend, but the grandfather of his firstborn son, Adam. Adam was just a baby when his father reluctantly bid farewell to his father-in-law and Boston, where his beloved wife Elizabeth was laid to rest after her death in childbirth. Ben often remembered his father-in-law's parting words as he and Adam traveled west, "don't brood for her son, she wouldn't want that!"

How often Ben was tempted to forego his dream of traveling west and building the ranch that he and Elizabeth were planning together, after the birth of their son. Ben smiled whenever he thought of Liz, and how she knew she was carrying a son, and that all children born to Ben Cartwright would indeed be boys. "Strong and self-assured as their father", she would say with her deep blue eyes shining. "Pa, Pa, aren't you going to tell Grandpa who I am?", Little Joe's tugging at his father's arm ended his reminiscing of his first wife and the 21 years that had passed since she gave him his beloved son, Adam. "I'm sorry, Joseph. Abel, this is my youngest son, Joseph." "Well Joseph Cartwright, nice to meet you", as Captain Stoddard grabbed the young boy into an embrace. "So Ben, this means then, that you have remarried? Aye, how happy my beautiful Elizabeth would be, knowing that her son had a mother." "Well, Abel, it's a long story, and, please forgive me, where are my manners? Captain, sir, you've had a long trip, and Jack's hotel is no place for a fine gentleman such as yourself to stay while in town. If your plans will allow, please come with me to the Ponderosa. I think there is a young man and his brother at home who will be very anxious to meet you."

"Ben, how could I pass up the opportunity to see the young man my beloved Elizabeth's son has become. I think his father has a story or two to share, am I right my boy? Adam has one brother at home, and Joseph is another, yes Ben, I'm anxious to get to The Ponderosa. The Ponderosa must be your ranch, am I right my boy. Aye, sounds like an honorable name just like many of the trusted old sailing ships you and I commanded together, hey lad?" Unable to contain his excitement, Little Joe answered for his father, "You bet, Captain Abel, Captain Stoddard, Adam's Grandpa, sir what does that make you to me? I mean, what do I call you?" Abel Stoddard stared down at the boy who was the little brother his beloved grandson, "Well, Joseph, what do you want to call me?" Little Joe looked down, licked his lips and said, "Well sir, may I call you Grandpa? I know you're not really my grandpa, like you are Adam's but he's my brother and well, doesn't that make you my grandpa in a way too?"

Captain Stoddard knelt down before Little Joe and said, "Aye, lad, I'd be honored to have you call me Grandpa. I always knew I had one grandson to love, but suddenly I find out there are two others. You and, what is your other brother's name?" "Hoss!" replied Joe quite loudly. "Hoss? Ben, you named a boy, Hoss?" Smiling, Ben guided Little Joe toward the door and ordered him into the wagon that was parked outside. "Abel, we have a lot to talk about and I'm sure you are as anxious to meet your grandson as I am to get home with these supplies and this endless bundle of conversation and energy that we call Little Joe." With that, Ben and Captain Stoddard stepped into the wagon and began their journey home to the Ponderosa.

An hour or so passed and Ben realized how quiet the back of the wagon had become. He looked around and saw his youngest son, Joe, sound asleep on a sack of flour he'd purchased from Eli & Ruth in town. He smiled, motioned for his father–in–law to look into the back of the wagon and said, "Now we know why we've managed to catch up on the last twenty-one years of the Cartwright Family history in the course of an hour." "Aye Ben, my boy, Joseph is a fine young lad. I'm anxious not only to see my grandson, Adam, but meet your middle son, Hoss. What did you say his real name is, again, Erik?" Shaking his head in pride as he thought of his middle son, Ben replied, "Yes Captain, wait until you see him. Like his mother, Inger and uncle Gunner, he is not only big in stature, but in heart and soul. There is no living creature that boy does not love or care for, just like his mother, I might add. Inger, Hoss' mother was Swedish and often used the word "Hoss", while speaking of a large man with friendly ways. When Erik, Hoss was born, he was, well, twice the size of any normal baby boy. When Inger and I introduced Adam to his new baby brother, Erik, he looked at us with those blue eyes, and said, "but Pa, Ma, why call him Erik? Look at the size of him. Ma, don't you remember what you and Uncle Gunner call big men? Hoss! He's just a baby now, but even I can see how big he's going to be when he grows up. I'm going to call him Hoss, not Erik." Realizing he was speaking a bit disrespectfully to his parents, Adam lowered his head, peeked through his long black lashes with sorrowful deep blue eyes, and said, "is that okay, sir – ma'am? " Ben and Inger, unable to contain their laughter at their oldest son, hugged him, and said, "Adam, we will give him both names and see which one sticks, deal?" "Deal", Adam answered proudly, but smugly. He knew his little brother would be known as Hoss Cartwright and not Erik Cartwright.

The sound of corralled horses, grazing Texas Longhorn cattle and the scent of Ponderosa pine smoke from the hearth of a ranch house meant Captain Stoddard, his son-in-law, Ben and youngest son, Joseph were not far from the Ponderosa. The wagon grew suddenly quiet as Captain Stoddard thought over the conversation of the past hour with his son-in-law and the life he had shared with the son of his beloved daughter Elizabeth. Little Joe was still asleep in the wagon, and Ben was lost in his own thoughts of the three women he loved and married, and the sons each had blessed him with. Ben looked at the elderly gentleman in the wagon seat next to him, smile and thought to himself, "Elizabeth, my love, I know how much you loved your father and how proud he is going to be of our son. You live in our son, Liz. He is so much like you….his looks, his love for books and learning, and his heart is as gentle, but strong and determined as yours. I thank God that our son will have a chance to meet his mother through her father."

Ben was jolted back to the present when the horses stopped in front of the house, thus waking Little Joe in the back of the wagon, who then proceeded to run into the house, yelling, "Adam, Hoss, Hopsing, come here, wait until you see who Pa and I have with us. "Adam! Where are you?" "Little Joe, please don't yell. Adam and Hoss are in the barn finishing up their chores. Supper soon be done, so be a good boy and go back outside, help your father unload the wagon, then wash that dirty little face and hands. Your father let you have candy before supper I see." "Alright, Hopsing", Joseph yelled as he slammed out the door, running full speed toward the barn, yelling, "Adam, Adam, where are you? Boy Pa and I sure have a surprise for you." Adam grabbed Joe by the shoulders to calm him down enough to hear what his little chatterbox brother was trying to say. "Adam, Pa and I have a special surprise for you, and you'll never guess what it is." Exasperation was an emotion Adam often felt for his little brother, but smiled down and said, "okay, Joe, let me finish feeding the horses and give Beauty her carrot and I'll be up to the house." Joe seemed satisfied with Adam's response and bolted out the door toward his father and new grandfather. True to his word, Adam finished his barn chores and walked toward the house and the surprise Little Joe had promised was waiting. Opening the door and stepping inside, Adam stopped short at the sight of the distinguished looking gentleman who stood by the fireplace with his father. Tears filled Ben's eyes as he walked toward Elizabeth Stoddard Cartwright's son. "Adam, there is someone I want you to meet."

END PART 1

"Pa, I know – this is my, my grandfather, my mother's father". Ben hugged his eldest and said, "Yes Adam, how do you know?" "I just do, Pa, I just do." Captain Stoddard walked toward Adam, put his hands around the boy's face and stared into his deep blue eyes, and for an instant saw the face of his beloved daughter, Elizabeth. "Adam, you look just like your mother, and your eyes, my boy, you have your mother's eyes. There was not a sea or ocean that I traveled that was bluer and more beautiful than my Elizabeth's eyes. I never thought I'd see that welcoming sight again after my daughter died. Oh, how I've longed to see those eyes again, and now, by the grace of God, I have. Adam, your mother would be so proud of you." The distinguished and reserved salt of the sea broke into tears as he took the young man into his arms and kissed him, just as he had 21 years earlier, when the boy was just a baby. Captain Stoddard grieved for his son-in-law and grandson as they left Boston, just as he had his beloved daughter, Elizabeth. He would never again see his daughter who was buried next to her mother and his wife. Ben had dreams of building a life in the west and Captain Stoddard encouraged his son-in-law to pursue his dreams for the sake of Elizabeth and their son.

Adam too was in tears as he buried his head into his grandfather's chest. "Sir, all my life Pa has told me about you and the fine man you are. When I was younger, I used to dream about what you looked like. The further west we traveled, the less chance I knew I had of ever meeting you. I never told Pa how much I thought of you, sir. I didn't want to hurt him any more than I already had." Captain Stoddard rubbed his grandson's back, not wanting to release him from the embrace, "what do you mean, lad. How did you hurt your pa?" Adam voice trembled as he looked at his father and said the words he had kept locked away in his heart for 21 years. "My mother died because of me, and, well, Pa, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Ben walked over to his son who was embraced in the arms of his grandfather. Ben was shocked at the words Adam had just spoken about his mother's death and pulled him away from his grandfather's arms. Looking sternly, yet lovingly into his oldest son's blue eyes, Ben said, "Adam, you felt like your mother died because of you, and you never told me?" Wiping away the tears and trying to regain his rigid composure, Adam said, "Yes Pa, I'm sorry. I never intended to let you know how I felt and all these years I managed to keep my mouth shut until today. I don't know what made me admit it now, so let's just forget the whole thing, okay Pa."

One look at Ben's face told Adam his comment would not be forgotten by his father and they would be discussing this issue privately in the near future. Not wanting to put a damper on such a special day, Ben regained his composure as Hop Sing announced supper was ready. Realizing that Ben had not introduced his father-in-law to Hop Sing, he placed his hand on Abel's back and directed him toward the table. "Hop Sing, I'd like you to meet my father-in-law, Adam's grandfather, and the orneriest captain that ever sailed the open seas, Captain Abel Stoddard. Captain, this is Hop Sing, the finest cook and devoted friend this side of the Mississippi, and for that matter, the world." Hop Sing bowed in respect to the debonair sea captain and said, "Welcome to the Ponderosa. Hope you are hungry. Cook special supper tonight and plenty of it. Hoss has been in kitchen a dozen times asking if supper ready. Hoss not here? If he went into town and ate Shelby's so called cooking, Hop Sing be very angry." Adam stepped forward in defense of his middle brother and assured Hop Sing, "Hoss wouldn't pass up one of your meals Hop Sing and you know it. I was so tired of hearing him complain about being hungry that I sent him on an errand to the Greene Ranch."

Just then the front door forcefully opened and a large and very hungry boy entered the house. Captain Stoddard knew immediately this was Erik, or Hoss as his grandson Adam christened him as a baby. "Hop Sing, it's about time supper is ready. Hey Pa, Adam, Joe, and, excuse me sir, I don't know your name, but howdy anyway. Now Hop Sing, how about supper. I'm near starved to death." Not allowing disrespect from one of his sons to a guest in the house, especially an adult, Ben sternly admonished Hoss. "Hoss Cartwright, just because you are hungry is no reason for you to be disrespectful and rude to a guest in our home. Now come here and meet someone I've often talked about to you and your brothers." Hoss lowered his head and obediently apologized to his father and this stranger in their home. "Sorry Pa. Sir, I welcome you to the Ponderosa. My name is Hoss and you are?" Captain Stoddard hugged the oversized boy and said, "My name is Captain Abel Stoddard and Hoss, you are every bit as big and gentle as my son-in-law told me this afternoon." For once, food came second to Hoss' delight at meeting the man he too dreamed about, after hearing his Pa's stories about the open seas, and Captain Stoddard. "You are Captain Stoddard, Adam's grandfather! I can't believe it. Pa, this is Captain Stoddard? Sir, welcome to the Ponderosa and I hope you plan to stay to tell us your stories about the sea like Pa, and well, gee, it's great to meet you sir. Captain Stoddard, Adam's grandfather. Hey, I've never really had a grandpa before, does that mean you are my grandpa now too? I can't believe it. Adam, you lucky thing, you. Your grandpa is here." Ben and Abel Stoddard laughed as the salt of the sea hugged the large boy standing before him and said, "Aye Hoss my lad. I am honored to be your grandfather and you too can call me Grandpa just like Little Joe has been all afternoon."

Hop Sing ordered the family to the table, "Sit down, all of you. Hop Sing been working hard all day on this special supper. Captain Stoddard, I grow special herbs in my garden. I hope you especially enjoy your first meal at the Ponderosa." Abel slapped the young Chinaman on the back and assured, "I'm sure I will Hop Sing, I'm sure I will. After all, Hoss didn't get this big without a little help." The family all laughed and settled in at the table. Ben said the blessing, adding a special petition of thanks about the boys' grandfather who has come back into their lives after 21 years.

Conversation at the supper table was centered around Captain Stoddard's exciting life on the high seas and his two youngest grandsons were the ones asking the most questions. Adam was unusually quiet during the meal and Ben knew something was bothering his oldest son. Thinking back to Adam's comment earlier that afternoon, Ben knew he had to a private talk with him after supper. Rising from the table Captain Stoddard announced to Hop Sing that this was the best meal he'd ever eaten. Smiling proudly Hop Sing replied, "Thank you Captain Stoddard. This is great compliment coming from a man that has traveled the world. "

Ben was not the only one who noticed Adam's sullen mood during supper, so had Captain Stoddard. Abel shared his concern, "Ben, something is troubling Adam and I think it has something to do with me." Ben respectfully responded, "Abel, Adam is fine." "No Ben, he is not. As I look into Adam's eyes, I see his mother. `Those blue eyes are the windows to your soul' I always told Elizabeth. She passed this trait down to her son. Ben, please talk to Adam. I would like to spend the day with him tomorrow, if his ranch chores can wait. I would feel better knowing that whatever is bothering Adam has been shared first with his father." Smiling, Ben saluted Captain Stoddard and said, "Yes Sir Captain." Just then Adam walked out onto the porch and Ben said, "Son, I'd like to have a word with you. Let's work some of Hop Sing's supper off by taking a walk to the pond." Adam looked at his father and his grandfather and said, "but Pa, wouldn't you rather visit with Grandpa?" Putting an arm around Adam, Ben said, "There will be plenty of time for that Adam. Your grandfather is not going anywhere for a while. In fact tomorrow, I thought I'd give you the day off to spend with him. Think you can handle giving up your chores for one day, son? Now how about that walk." Ben and Adam bid farewell to Captain Stoddard, who thoughtfully and loving watched his grandson walk down the lane with his father. "Oh Adam, your mother would be so proud of you, my boy."

Ben and Adam walked silently for a few minutes, "Adam", Ben began, "I'd like to talk about this afternoon." Adam looked down at the ground, "Pa, please, let's just forget what I said, okay. I was just caught up in the emotion of seeing my grandfather, that's all!" Ben stopped and looked sternly into his son's eyes, "Adam, you and I both know there is more to it than that and no, I will not forget what you said. Son, why didn't you ever tell me how you felt about your mother's death? Haven't we always been able to speak openly with each other?" Adam spoke through the lump in his throat, "Yes Pa, we can talk, but I just couldn't share this with you, sir, I didn't want to hurt you any more than I had already done. Your wife died because of me and I know how much you loved her." Tears swelled up in Adam's eyes and Ben pulled him close, "Adam, I loved your mother and she loved me. You are the result of that love, and yes, she died in childbirth, but her spirit lives on in you." Adam's voice trembled as he spoke, "but Pa, Ma died because of me. I always saw how sad you were when you looked at her picture. All my life you told me stories about Ma's father and the great man he was. I believed you Pa, and dreamed of meeting my grandfather. I knew my Ma was dead and could never see her, but used to dream of meeting my grandfather. I had so many questions about her that only he could answer. As the years went by and we traveled further west, with no word or contact from him, I assumed he too was dead, or blamed me for my mother's death. Now, 21 years later, he shows up in Eagle Station and just `happens' to run into you and Little Joe. I'm sorry, Pa, but I stopped believing in fairy tales years ago. If Abel Stoddard was such a great captain and navigator, he should have been able to find his only grandson long before now, if he wanted too."

The truth was out! Ben knew his son was hurting, and chose his words carefully, "Adam, your grandfather did try to find us over the years, many times. He told me so earlier this afternoon. He was a sailor son, and traveled the world on the open sea. He was always on the move, Adam, just as you and I were over the years. Remember?" Adam smiled, knowing where his Pa was going with this story. "Yes Pa, we never stayed in a town long enough to let the dust settle on the wagon before we had to move on. Pa, I am sorry, how could my grandfather find me – there was no way he could before, but how did he find us now?" Ben smiled at the son of his beloved first wife, Elizabeth and said, "Adam, why don't you ask your Grandpa Stoddard that question? Come on, we better get back to the house and rescue the captain from your little brother's endless imagination and questions." Adam nodded in agreement as he thought of his youngest brother, "You're right, Pa! Let's go!"

Early the next morning Ben helped his oldest son hitch the wagon and issued an order to forget the ranch's chores for one day and enjoy the time with his grandfather. "No problem, Pa, think you can do the job without my supervision", Adam mischievously grinned to his father as he climbed into the wagon. Ben's firm tone was not camouflaged by the dimpled grin on his face, "One day only, young man, don't expect it again any time soon. Understood?" Adam raised his right hand in a salute to his father and said, "Yes Sir!" Captain Stoddard laughed at his grandson's response to his father's voice of teasing authority. Adam proudly showed Captain Abel Stoddard the beauty and promising future of the Ponderosa in prime cattle grazing and timber growing on the land. They were enjoying the day and each other's company. Adam laughed at stories Abel told on Ben during his days as a sailor; stories Ben wouldn't want his sons knowing about their father. Grandpa learned more about Hoss and Little Joe, the citizens of Eagle Station and of course, Isabella.

They neared Lake Tahoe about noon and decided to partake of the picnic lunch Hop Sing prepared for their outing. "Do you miss being out to sea, Grandpa", Adam asked as he saw his grandfather watching the rippling water. "Aye, lad, `the salt of the sea and music of the waves are in my veins' as your grandmother and mother used to say. But, there was nothing more beautiful than seeing the two of them waving and smiling from the docks upon my return." Mention of his mother made Adam uncomfortable and he tried to change the subject. Abel wouldn't allow this opportunity for the young man to speak his mind to be dismissed. "Adam, your mother loved you, as do I. You don't believe that, do you lad, that your grandfather loves you?"

Adam rubbed his hands through his hair and cast his gaze away from his grandfather. "Just like Elizabeth", Abel thought to himself before continuing. "Adam, look at me!" No response! "Now son! That's an order. Tell me what's bothering you and don't say `nothing' because I know better." Adam's blue eyes shot fire back at Abel as conflicting emotions erupted and could no longer be held back. "No Grandpa, sir! I don't think you love me! All my life, Pa talked about Captain Abel Stoddard, a crusty salt of the sea who commanded and demanded only the best in his ships and crew, but was soft as silk with `his darling Elizabeth'! He'd take out and listen to a music box, which I wasn't allowed to touch or play. Pa would become quiet and distant, until…." Adam's tone softened and his speaking stopped as he remembered the Swedish woman who played the music box for him when he was sick.

"Until what Adam?" Snapping back to the present time, he regained his composure straightened his shoulders and looked straight into the eyes of elderly man. Pride swelled in Abel's heart as he knew before him was speaking the man Ben & Elizabeth Cartwright expected their son to become, "my darling Elizabeth – he's a fine young man, aye daughter, a fine young man." Adam continued, "until he met Ma, I mean Ms. Inger. Pa changed and at the time I didn't understand, but now I do. Part of Pa died with my mother and Ma, Miss Inger brought back what I took away from him. It didn't matter to me then. I had a ma and Pa was always happy. Then Pa told me Ma was going to have a baby and I was going to be the big brother in the family. The night Hoss was born, Pa gave me the sacred music box. He said something like a baby's a gift and I was a gift from my mother, Elizabeth to him and she'd want me to have the music box. What did I care about that stupid music box – nothing! My mother's name was Inger, not Elizabeth and I loved her. Pa had another son and I had a brother." Unable to stop the flood of words and emotions spewing forth Adam continued, "we were a family until an Indian arrow killed Ma and we had to bury her somewhere along the trail coming west. She deserved better than that Grandpa. She was a good, kind-hearted mother and I, we, lost her, just like Marie, who too was my Ma and gave me a second brother. A mother is more than a music box, story or picture on my Pa's desk."

Abel put a consoling hand on his grandson's shoulder, who slapped it away. Tears were now flowing as Adam continued. "Grandpa why didn't you want to see me before now? Captain Abel Stoddard could navigate the world, yet he couldn't find his only grandson. I loved you Grandpa and I needed you, but you weren't there. As the years went by, I realized that I would never meet the great Captain Stoddard. I killed his daughter – he didn't want to see me!" Captain Stoddard's sea-faring arms embraced the sobbing son of his beloved Elizabeth, unashamed that tears too were streaming down his bearded face. Neither man spoke, just held each other as twenty-one years of uncertainty and heartache were washed away in a sea of tears and love.

After a few minutes in the silent embrace, it was Grandpa's turn to speak. "Adam, I love you. You are my grandson, boy, your mother's flesh and blood and her spirit still lives…in you! Elizabeth would be proud of the man her son has become, Adam, mighty proud, just as is her father." Adam's arms tightened the embrace, "I love you too Grandpa, I love you too! I didn't mean what I said about not loving my mother sir, I do." Stepping out of the hug, Abel took his grandson's face in his hands. "I know you love her Adam. You are your mother's son indeed. Your eyes are the windows of your soul, Adam, just like Elizabeth. Her eyes couldn't fool me anymore than yours can." Adam snickered as he thought of Ben, who couldn't be fooled either by those blue eyes.

It was near suppertime and Ben Cartwright was relaxing on the porch sipping Hop Sing's herbal tea when he spotted a wagon coming up the trail. Ben smiled at the laughter and booming voice of a crusty sea captain, joined with that of Elizabeth's son, his son. Stepping down from the wagon, Abel Stoddard bellowed, "Hoss, Joseph, come help your grandfather bed down these horses." Ben chucked as both boys obediently shot out of the house. "Now why don't they do that for me", then gave a slight salute to his father-in-law. Ben knew Abel wanted father and son to have time together, alone! "Hi Pa! How'd it go today without me here to supervise the chores?" Ben put his arm around his son's shoulder as they stepped onto the porch and teasingly scolded, "Fine. Believe it or not young man, your brothers, Hop Sing and I can get by without your supervision". Hop Sing brought Adam a cup of tea and refilled Ben's and hurried back into the house. "Enjoyed the time alone with your grandfather today, didn't you son?" His eyes drifting toward the barn where his grandfather was, Adam quietly spoke. "Yes Pa! Grandpa is the man you always told me he was, but I never believed." Ben looked at Adam, "go on." "Captain Stoddard and I went on a 21 year voyage today. I now know the real meaning of love…that is, the real meaning of a grandfather's love."

The End