Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A Family Matter
Part Twelve
By Martha Mills
martheeny@yahoo.com

Thanks also to Sharon, Debbie, Cathy and Ally for their invaluable feedback, encouragement and support. And to everyone else who sent along a kind message, or enjoyed this story.

Note: This story was somewhat inspired by a movie called "Liar’s Moon." I highly recommend it.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes) 

The kiss they shared was the sweetest Abbie had ever known. As she looked up, into John’s eyes, the promise of happiness was there, at last. He felt just as strongly.

He stroked her face. "This is a lot to take in, isn’t it?"

Abbie was in heaven. "I don’t care who my father is, as long as I can be with you." She studied his face. "Are you alright with everything?"

He held her tighter. "I’m alright with us. Nothing else matters. Abbie, you just don’t know how awful it was to think you were my sister. That we had….been bad." He chuckled. The relief was overwhelming.

Laura poked her head in the room. "Are you two okay?"

John nodded that they were. "Are you, Mom? I mean, have you thought about what’s next? Do we try to hide this from Dad? Roland. You know who I mean."

"It’s time for everything to come out." Laura was adamant. "I want the lies to stop. I want the two of you to start out right."

Abbie thought about that. She pulled back, a bit. "I really ought to talk to my mom. To tell her that I know everything now." She looked around the room. "Is there a phone I could use?"

"I’ll show you." Laura led her down the hall.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Back at the Drake, Roland and Peggy were each on drink number four. She was sitting on the bed, and he was trying to think of a way to get beside her. On that bed.

"Abbie really is a beautiful girl, Peg." Roland could ooze charm, when necessary. "Do you have any pictures of her, growing up?"

Peggy, very much inebriated, grabbed her purse from the floor, and pulled out her wallet. "I sure do." She motioned for him to join her on the bed. "You’ll like these."

He sat down, staring at her, not even bothering to look at the photos. He leaned in and whispered, "She looks like her mother. So, so beautiful." He gauged her for a reaction. When she blushed, he continued, "Peggy, why did I ever let you go? We were so good together."

She turned to face him. "Really? You think so?" She was too overwhelmed by hormones and alcohol to think rationally.

"Yes." He leaned in, and kissed her, letting his lips tease hers, lightly. He remembered what she liked. And what got a reaction.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Laura and John were relaxing in the parlor. "Mom, tell me about Ben Stone." John’s brain was starting to process everything, and he was ready for more information.

"Well, honey, he’s an attorney, like I said, but he doesn’t work for the firm, anymore. It was too painful for him, after you were born. He lives in New York, now. He’s a very compassionate man, and always wants to do the right thing. I can see that in you, too."

John smiled at the compliment. His eyes lit up even more, as Abbie came into the room.

"Well, my mom wasn’t home," she told them. "So I called her sister. She said Mom left yesterday morning, in her car, for Chicago. She should be here sometime today. I think I need to go back to the hotel and wait for her." She looked at John. "I know you and your mom have a lot to sort out, but could you give me a ride back into town? I hate to ask, but-"

"Abbie. Where you go, I go. You’d better get used to it." He grabbed her hand, gently. "We’ve probably worn out our welcome here, anyway, right Mom?"

"Never." Laura was so glad that John and Abbie had found each other. It was obvious that they were meant to be. "You’re always welcome. But I understand that this is important, so get out of here, already!" She playfully pushed them toward the door.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John’s thoughts on the drive back were focused on one thing - getting Abbie back to the privacy of her room. He hoped they would have some time together before her mother arrived.

Abbie was staring out the window, obviously in deep thought. John asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Well, I guess so. I was just running the heredity vs. environment argument through my head. For years, I tried to make sure I wouldn’t turn out like my dad - Jesse Carmichael. I always kept a lid on my emotions, never lost my temper. I even wondered if I should have any children, knowing I might have inherited those abusive tendencies. I guess it was all for nothing, really. Now I wonder how much I have in common with Roland." She stopped for a moment. "And I wonder why Mom didn’t tell me the truth years ago. It would have saved me a lot of worrying."

John understood how she felt. The whole situation was surreal. "Well, we know now. And we’re free and clear to be together. Forever, if you’ll have me."

"I’ve been thinking about that. Why don’t I see if I can get a permanent position with the Chicago D.A.’s office? I hate long distance relationships." She had a calm peace, knowing that everything would be okay. "And, John, I’d have you, anytime, anyplace."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

They made it back to her hotel room, barely able to contain themselves. Abby pushed John up against the door behind him, shutting it. Their mouths met, desperately.

John slid her jacket off, and was unbuttoning her blouse when he heard rustling coming from inside the room. He pulled away and gestured for her to stay put, while he checked everything out.

"What the hell?" John saw that Roland and Peggy were in the bed, completely undressed. They appeared to be enjoying the afterglow of a good roll in the hay. "Dad?"

Abbie came into view. "Mom?"

The guilty parties, still giddy from lust and liquor, laughed as they wrapped themselves in sheets, gathered their clothes, and went into the bathroom to clean themselves up.

John and Abbie looked at each other, in shock.

Roland was the first to emerge. "I’m sorry you had to see that. It was irresponsible of us to use your room. I apologize."

Abbie didn’t mince words. "Roland, I know that you’re my father. Walking in on the two of you has erased any doubt from my mind."

Peggy entered the room, having overheard her daughter. "You know everything? Then you know that you can’t continue to see him." She pointed at John. "And I hope to god that you two didn’t do anything you’d regret, under the circumstances. You’ll end up in hell!"

John could tell she was drunk, but he found himself losing patience fast with Peggy. He snapped back, "I really don’t think you’re in a position to judge, Mrs. Carmichael. If we hadn’t been LIED TO, maybe this whole situation could have been avoided."

He turned his attention to Roland. "Dad, no more lies. I have some news. I’d say in your condition, you’ll take it better than you would sober." He took a moment to pick his words, and hopefully soften the blow. "I saw Mom this morning. She told me that I am not, at least biologically, your son."

Roland didn’t seem to comprehend what he was hearing. "Huh? Not my son?" Then a sad realization came over him. "God, why didn’t I see it before? Or, maybe I did, and just ignored it." He looked at Peggy and said, "I don’t really have any right to get mad, now do I?"

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

After her parents left, Abbie turned her attention to John. "I’m going to do two things. I’m going to call housekeeping, and ask for some new sheets. Then I’m going to draw up a hot bath. Would you care to join me?"

"Absolutely! But first, I’m going to call Mom. No more lies. She should know where her husband is, don’t you think?"

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

END PART TWELVE.