Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A Family Matter
Part Eleven
By Martha Mills
martheeny@yahoo.com

Thanks also to Sharon, Debbie, Cathy and Ally for their invaluable feedback, encouragement and support. And to everyone else who sent along a kind message, or enjoyed this story.

Note: This story was somewhat inspired by a movie called "Liar’s Moon." I highly recommend it.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes) 

John and Abbie found themselves on the Carter doorstep once more. Abbie rang the bell, and counted seven seconds. Sure as rain, there was Edward, right on cue to let them in. She looked over at John and smiled.

Laura was right there, waiting for them. She reached for John and gave him a hug. "I missed you, Johnny." It hurt her to see how downhearted he was.

"It’s good to see you, Mom. This is Abbie Carmichael. She’s a good friend of mine."

Abbie grinned. "Hello, it’s nice to meet you."

Laura was giving her a strange look. "You know, you have your father’s eyes, Ms. Carmichael."

"Excuse me?" Abbie asked. "You know my father?"

John was floored. "What are you saying, Mom? Did Dad tell you what happened last night? Because you seem pretty calm, considering."

It began to dawn on Abbie that the entire Carter family knew more about her parentage than she did. And she began to think there might be some truth to what John had tried to tell her earlier.

Laura smiled, knowingly. "Come on, let’s go get some lunch." Once they were in the dining room, she continued, "Let me start at the beginning. No, scratch that. Let me start in the middle. It’s better that way."

John and Abbie gave her their undivided attention.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Peggy Carmichael was in awe of the Drake Hotel. "So this is where my baby’s been staying," she thought. "I am so proud of her!" She checked with the desk clerk, only to find that Abbie had left a short while ago. She decided that since she had no place to stay, and no other agenda than to find her daughter and make things right, she would sit in the lobby and wait.

She had just gotten comfortable, when she saw a familiar face approach the front desk. He had more gray hair, and had gained a bit of weight, but there was no denying that it was Roland Carter. She couldn’t hear what was being said, but it looked like Roland was slipping the clerk some money. Then he continued on toward the elevator, key in hand. Peggy decided to follow him.

She boldly stepped on to the elevator with him. "Hello, Roland. You were supposed to call me back."

He turned toward her, and was stunned. "Peggy. Well. I suppose you’re here to see your daughter."

"Our daughter," she corrected. "Since I never heard back from you, I had to come up and see for myself what’s going on." She quipped, "I won’t even ask why you’re here. I’m sure I know already. You have an affinity for nice hotels. With willing young women."

Roland shot her a dirty look. "For your information, I’m here to see Abbie, too. In fact, it’s been arranged that I can wait for her in her room." His face softened. "Look, we’ve got a lot to talk about. Why don’t you wait with me?"

"Damn straight I’m going with you," she snapped. "Somebody’s got to keep an eye on Abbie’s things."

Roland rolled his eyes. This was going to be a long day.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John wanted to make sure they were all on the same page, so to speak. He remembered the misunderstanding he and his father had gone through…and how it had resulted in disaster. "So, Mom, I just want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, here. You know that Dad is Abbie’s father?"

Laura nodded, and looked over at Abbie. "I’ve known about you since before you were born."

"Dad doesn’t think you know. You never confronted him about it?" John was amazed that his mother had such self-restraint. He couldn’t image ever being in that position and ignoring his wife’s infidelities.

"John, you need to hear the whole story. Let me go back to the beginning. Before you were born." She took a deep breath. "When your father started traveling all the time, I was left here, with Bobby. Roland was so wrapped up in his work, he hardly ever called home. I felt abandoned. It was around that time that I met Ben. He was an associate in the firm. He was also a dear friend to me when I needed it the most. I’m going to be honest, here. We were romantically involved."

She looked over to her son for his reaction. He was staring at his plate. "So you didn’t think you could say anything to Dad, because you were unfaithful, too?"

"It wasn’t just being unfaithful, honey. I deceived Roland in the worst way. When you were born, I let him think that you were his child. I let him raise you as his son, knowing in my heart that you weren’t. You aren’t. Your father’s name is Ben Stone." Again, she waited for John to react.

He never looked up from his plate. His mind was reeling, but it somehow made sense. All the times he felt worlds away from Roland. Never meeting his expectations. Finally, he looked up at his mother. He had a million questions, but they would wait. He needed time to absorb this. "Thank you for telling me."

Abbie tried to lighten the mood. "Wow, what a day, huh?"

Laura stood up. "I think the two of you have some things to talk about. I’m going to go call Ben, and let him know that I’ve finally told you the truth."

"You still keep in touch?" John asked.

"From time to time. He likes to hear how you’re doing. Maybe you’d like to meet him sometime. You’re a lot like him." With that, she left the room.

John and Abbie looked at each other. He couldn’t mistake the joy in her eyes. "John, do you know what this means?"

All at once, it hit him. His mother had given up her secret, and probably her marriage, for his happiness. He went to Abbie, and held her. "I love you, Abbie."

She felt a tear run down her cheek. "I love you too."

They stood there in a silent embrace for a long time.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Roland and Peggy were growing restless. He filled her in on what had happened, the dinner at the Carter house, and then his argument with John.

"So that’s why I’m here. To tell Abbie the truth." Roland got up to refill his glass. Three scotches down, and he was starting to feel more comfortable around Peggy.

"I know better, Roland. You’re probably here to pay her off and save your own skin." She pointed to his briefcase, by the door. "What’s that all about?" Peggy had also had three drinks, and she didn’t feel quite so much like throttling him, as she had before. In fact, she was seeing mannerisms, catching a scent of him, that took her back to her days as his assistant. His lover. She had to catch her breath.

"Oh, that? Well, I had to give the impression I was headed for the office." He grinned at Peggy. This was just like old times. The two of them. In a hotel room. On their way to being drunk. And she really hadn’t aged that much through the years. He looked over her legs, appreciatively. Yes, she still liked those short skirts.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

END PART ELEVEN.