Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A Family Matter
Part Ten
By Martha Mills
martheeny@yahoo.com

Thanks also to Sharon, Debbie, Cathy and Ally for their invaluable feedback, encouragement and support. And to everyone else who sent along a kind message, or enjoyed this story.

Note: This story was somewhat inspired by a movie called "Liar’s Moon." I highly recommend it.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John woke up following a few hours of restless sleep. After calling the E.R., and feigning a stomach flu (which wasn’t hard, considering the hangover he had), he tried to put his thoughts in order. He needed to go to Abbie, and somehow tell her that Roland was her father. Too. He felt sickened, just speculating how she might react.

There was a part of him, deep down, a part that his conscious mind wouldn’t even dignify, that wanted to keep the truth from her. To run, far away with her, and live happily ever after. God help him, he still loved her.

He cleaned himself up, loaded his stuff in the jeep, and checked out of the motel. He was on his way back.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

As she stepped out of the shower, Abbie heard a loud knock. "Just a minute!" she hollered. Quickly, she got into her robe and answered the door.

Her heart leapt up out of her chest. "John, hi!" she motioned for him to come inside. As he did, she noticed that he was wearing the same clothes he had worn the last time she saw him. She noticed something else, too. He wouldn’t look at her. His gaze was directed at the floor.

"I’m sorry I didn’t call you last night," he mumbled. "I had to go see Dad after work." He was trying to find the words to use next. "He, uh, had something to tell me. About you."

Abbie frowned. "About me? What about me? He doesn’t like me, does he?"

John walked over to the window. "Well, he didn’t realize we’re as¼close¼as we were." He sighed, and turned around to look her in the eye for the first time since he’d gotten there. Oh, she was so beautiful. Even in a big terrycloth robe, with a towel around her head. He shook it off and continued. "I guess because we hid it so well the other night."

Abbie was nodding. She knew something was wrong. John Carter had been too good to be true. A straight, good looking, single doctor, who was she trying to kid? She understood what was going on. He was going to give her some lame excuse as to why he couldn’t see her anymore. Wham, bam, thank you, ma’am!

John was solemn. "Dad thought I already knew that you-what he told me last night. About you." Damn! He was stumbling over his words. "That’s why he didn’t tell me sooner." He took a deep breath, and finished his thought. "He says he’s your father too."

She took a step back away from him. "What did you just say?" Where was this coming from? She had never even met Roland before dinner, last Friday night. She knew who her father was. Maybe Jesse Carmichael had been a no-good scum-of-the-earth alcoholic child abuser, but he, not Roland Carter, was her father.

John cleared his throat. "I said that my dad is your biological father. Your mom used to be his secretary. In Lubbock, I think. I know dad, Abbie. He was serious."

Abbie stopped to think. Maybe John wasn’t the one who wanted them to stop seeing each other. His body language made it obvious that he was heartbroken. Maybe it was Roland, who was playing the mind games. From what John had said, he was more than capable. "That’s impossible. John, listen to yourself! Do you honestly believe him? I mean, did he show you any proof?" Her years of investigative experience were showing. She walked up to him, and cupped his face in her hands. "I think we have something special here. Don’t let your dad ruin it. I’m not sure why he has it in for me, but--"

John jerked away. "God! Please don’t, don’t touch me like that! This is hard enough as it is. I really have strong feelings for you. But I just have to deal with them. You’re my half-sister." He moved to the chair by the window, and buried his face in his hands. Could she be right? Could he dare to hope?

Abbie was worried. It looked like John had actually bought into the lies his father was telling him. "I have feelings for you too. So I’m going to prove to you that it’s all lies. Okay?" He nodded in reply.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Laura pushed her breakfast plate away. She didn’t have much of an appetite. Earlier, she had tried to call John on his cell phone. No luck.

Then, she called Millicent’s house. That had been a mistake. Not only was he not there, but she had been trapped talking to Millicent for fifteen minutes. Oh, the patience she needed when it came to her mother-in-law. Millicent always meant well, but a conversation with her was more like an interview. So many questions.

Finally, she had tried to reach John at the hospital. The desk clerk told her he wasn’t supposed to be on until noon, but he had already called in sick. It surely wasn’t like her son to skip work. She had to find him.

"Laura, did you hear me? I said I have some things to take care of. I’ll be back later." Roland was standing in the doorway. He had his briefcase, and she supposed he was going into the office for awhile.

"Okay, dear." She said, as he walked out. "I’ll see you this evening, then." Immediately, she had a brainstorm. John was probably at that Carmichael girl’s house. Knowing Roland better than anyone, she knew he would have that address in his study. When she saw the limousine pull away, Laura went snooping.

She quickly found what she was looking for. Abbie Carmichael -Room 322, Drake Hotel. Laura wondered if that was Roland’s money paying for such an expensive room. No matter. She dialed the number.

"Hello?"

"Hello. This is Laura Carter. Is this Abbie?"

"Yes it is."

"Is John there, please?"

"Just a moment." She turned to John. "It’s your mom, I think. Laura Carter? Do you want to talk to her?"

John looked up. "Mom? Yeah, I need to talk to her." He took the phone. "Mom? Where are you?"

Laura had never been so glad to hear his voice. "I’m at home, son. I just got back yesterday. Why don’t you come out for lunch? And bring your friend."

"Mom, there’s something important I have to tell you. Is Dad there?" John didn’t want to face Roland today.

"No, dear. I believe he’s going to be in the office all day." She didn’t know that to be a fact, but said it to put John’s mind at ease about visiting. "I have something I need to talk to you about, as well, and I think you’ll feel a lot better after hearing what I have to say. But we need to talk in person. You, me and Abbie. So, can I expect you at noon?"

"Okay, mom, we’ll be there. I love you."

"I love you too, Johnny."

He sat the phone down. "Abbie, are you up to another round at the Carter estate? Mom wants the two of us to come out for lunch."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

END PART TEN.