Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A Family Matter
Part Seven
By Martha Mills
martheeny@yahoo.com

Thanks also to Sharon, Debbie, Cathy and Ally for their invaluable feedback, encouragement and support. And to everyone else who sent along a kind message, or enjoyed this story.

Note: This story was somewhat inspired by a movie called "Liar’s Moon." I highly recommend it.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Roland Carter had stayed up late the night before, making telephone calls. He had to protect his family. The Carter name. The name that John didn't deserve, after his disloyalty last night. What was that boy thinking? Those Carmichaels were nothing but trouble.

How did she get to John, anyway? Well, it didn't matter. Whether his son's actions last night were well-intentioned or not, there was a situation at hand. A big, festering secret that he had managed to keep for years and years was busting at the seams. He worried that John would tell Laura, and all hell would break loose. Laura was on her way home, in fact, so that he could make sure that didn't happen.

Damage control. That's why he had called his private investigator. He would be expecting a full background report on his daughter by the end of the day. So, Abbie wanted to play hardball? She would find out exactly who she was dealing with. Indeed.

There were only two more calls to make. He dialed John's cell phone. After five rings, John answered, sounding as if he'd just woke up, "This is John Carter."

"Wake up, for god's sake!" Roland snapped. "Were you going to sleep all day?" He was unable to mask how annoyed he was. He took a deep breath, and calmed himself down. "I'm guessing you have the day off? It is Saturday."

There was a pause, and through the phone, Roland could hear sheets rustling. Then he heard a door close. "Dad, good morning," he said softly. John's voice had a weird echo to it, and Roland guessed he was in a bathroom. "No, I'm on at noon. Hey, thanks for dinner last night."

Roland's anger returned. "Look. I'll be brief. No sense in wasting time. I do not appreciate the stunt you pulled last night. That woman does not belong in our family. You are forbidden to ever speak to her again. Nor will you ever mention her to your mother. This is not a request, John."

Though he was still foggy from just waking up, his father's words cut him to the quick. Stunt? What stunt? John remembered how he had held back his feelings about her at dinner. His father must have seen right through it. Damn! Why couldn't Roland ever just let him make his own decisions? When he spoke, it was very quietly, but there was a hardness in his voice. "Jesus, Dad! You don't even know her. So I wasn't completely honest last night. Don't blame that on Abbie. It was my idea. She's wonderful. Too bad you're too short-sighted to realize that." John sighed. "I think she would be a wonderful addition to the family."

While John was referring to Abbie maybe someday being his bride, Roland heard a different meaning in those words. He coldly stated, "The matter is settled." Then he hung up.

John shook his head in disbelief. "Jeez." Last night, he had thought the dinner went fairly well. Apparently not. A grin came over his face, though, as he remembered the rest of the evening. He looked at his reflection in the mirror. "You've still got it, Dr. Carter!" Then he got into the shower, whistling a happy tune.

In the other room, Abbie was still in bed, sleeping, with her arms stretched out to the spot where her lover had been, earlier. Her dreams were full of laughter and happiness. Things that reality had rarely granted her.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

When he was dressed again, John sat on the bed, watching Abbie as she still slept. He wanted to spend the day with her, but knew it wasn't going to happen. He had a twelve hour shift to pull. Lightly, he touched her arm. "Good morning."

She opened her eyes. "Huh?" His face was the first thing she saw, and she immediately smiled. "Hi. Oh, you're dressed " She was so glad he hadn't left without waking her. "What time is it?"

"It's almost eleven. I have to be at work at noon. Are you hungry? Maybe we could get some breakfast together "

"Yeah, I am." They both leaned into each other, and shared a long, delicate kiss. "Give me fifteen minutes." She headed for the bathroom, to get ready.

While Abbie was in the shower, her phone rang. John stared at it, wondering if he should answer it or not. He didn't know how Abbie would feel about it. There was an answering machine built in to the phone, so he left it alone. After four rings, the machine kicked on. A mechanical voice said, "You have reached Room 322 at the Drake Hotel. Please leave a message at the tone, or dial zero to be connected to the front desk. < Tone >."

John heard his father's voice.

"Ms. Carmichael, this is Roland Carter. I know exactly who you are, and what you're after. The Carter family has no place for you. I am willing to pay you ten thousand dollars a month, for as long as you keep your silence, and your distance from my family. This is a one time offer. You would be wise to accept it. I can be reached to work out the details at 555-0484." < Click. >

John stared coldly at the phone for a solid minute. His mind was still processing what he had just heard. Was that why he had always ended up alone? He wondered just how many women from his past Roland had on his payroll. Well, he'd be damned if Abbie was going to end up on that list. He quickly leaned over and deleted the message. Part of him regretted it, instantly. It was as if he were lying to Abbie, in a sense. But he knew it was too early in their relationship to have to deal with the crap that always came from his family.

Several minutes later, Abbie emerged from the bathroom, with only a towel on. Her smile was contagious, and immediately set John's mind on better things. She finished getting ready, and they headed for Doc Magoo's.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

After a big breakfast, John asked, "I'm going to be off at midnight. Can I call you then, or is that too late?"

"You can call me anytime, Dr. Carter." With a wink, she kissed his cheek and started to walk off.

He grabbed her arm, and pulled her back. "Hold on, there. I know you can do better than that, " he teased.

She raised her eyebrows at him. "Well, let's just see about that." She gave him a passionate kiss, that made his entire body tingle. Pulling away with a giggle, she said, "I'll be waiting for that call."

He watched her walk down the street, and thought to himself, "Oh, I can't wait either..." But then he remembered. First he would be having a talk with his father...

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

END PART SEVEN.