Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A Family Matter
Part Five
By Martha Mills
martheeny@yahoo.com

Thanks also to Sharon, Debbie, Cathy and Ally for their invaluable feedback, encouragement and support. And to everyone else who sent along a kind message, or enjoyed this story.

Note: This story was somewhat inspired by a movie called "Liar’s Moon." I highly recommend it.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John and Abbie made their way down the hall. As they entered the parlor, John put on his `family face'. He tried to look as self-confident and "Carter-like" as he could. He walked up to his father and shook his hand. "Hi, Dad. It's good to see you again."

Roland took the lead. "Hello, son." He motioned to Abbie. "I see you did have plans for this evening. I'm glad you rendered your schedule to mine. And your lovely date is?"

John tried his best to seem nonchalant. "This is a friend of mine. Her name is Abbie Carmichael."

Abbie held out her hand. "Hello, Mr. Carter." She wracked her brain, trying to think of something appropriate to add, as they, too shook hands. "You have a beautiful home."

Roland caught his breath as he looked into the eyes of his daughter. "She has my eyes," he thought. He shook it off, and concentrated on the task at hand. He had one objective tonight, and that was to determine how serious John and Abbie were about each other. Were they friends? Lovers? His stomach rolled. If the situation called for desperate measures, he would take it one step at a time. For now, he would just observe.

"Thank you," he nodded. He noticed that her hand was bandaged. Had she met John in the emergency room? He also noticed that John didn't seem to hover around her, like he always had with previous girlfriends. That was encouraging. Walking over to the wet bar, he posed the question, "What would you like to drink?" John asked for a beer.

Abbie was torn. She wanted a glass of wine, but didn't think it was a good idea. If ever she needed control of her faculties, it was this evening. Then again, she felt obligated to ask for something. Against her better judgment, she said, "I'd like some red wine, please." She saw that John was standing ten feet away from her. She fought the urge to walk up beside him. If John thought it was in their best interest to hold back around Roland, she would trust his judgment.

Edward appeared at the doorway. "Sir, dinner is ready." Just as quickly, he disappeared.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

They made small talk during dinner. Roland sounded like an interrogator, asking questions about her work, her family, her interests. John hardly said two words to her, but Abbie remembered that he was acting uninterested for her sake. As the second course was being cleared from the table, though, she felt it. John's shoeless foot was rubbing up against her leg. It was his way of reminding her that he was definitely interested. She looked at him and smiled, very innocently. Her thoughts were anything but.

Roland wasn't getting anywhere. He couldn't even get his son to join in the conversation. If John truly had no interest in Abbie, why would he have brought her? It was time to turn up the heat. He turned back to Abbie. "So, you're a prosecuting attorney? How does a pretty young thing like yourself get along, dealing with the human garbage you see everyday? It must be hard to handle yourself. I've always thought the D.A.'s office should be a men's club only." He glanced over at John, to see his son's reaction. Would he rush to her defense?

John caught himself. He could feel the heat in his cheeks, but kept his composure. "Dad, maybe we should make our sexist comments outside the presence of female guests?" He motioned at Abbie. "You wouldn't want her to get the wrong impression of our family, now would you?" Taking a deep breath, John was proud of the way he had handled that one. Son - 1, Father - 0. John was starting to feel confident that he could handle this situation with ease.

Abbie was also impressed with John's response. Dealing with his father was obviously a skill he had acquired through the years. She looked at both men, and defiantly said, "No, it's okay. Every man should be allowed to have his own opinion. Even if it is outdated, laughable and Victorian."

John's eyes went wide and he stifled a laugh. Then he looked to see if his father saw the humor in it.

Roland chuckled, too. "Well put, Ms. Carmichael." The rest of dinner was spent in relative silence.

While eating dessert, Roland was mentally processing the facts as he knew them.

(1)     He had gotten a hysterical call from Peggy.
(2)     Abbie had met John, somehow, and ended up at the Carter home for dinner.
(3)     The two of them didn't seem the least bit interested in each other, romantically. And Roland knew that John was an open             book when it came to matters of the heart. He was just like his mother, that way.
(4)     John had said something that struck him as odd. "You wouldn't want her to get the wrong impression of our family, now            would you?" Why would John phrase it like that? Our family. The wheels were turning in his distrustful mind.

Then it dawned on him. Peggy and Abbie were conspiring against him. Somehow, they had gotten John in on it, too. The call from Peggy? That was a desperate attempt to get Roland to panic and reveal his secret to the rest of the family. The money-hungry bitch! Well, he wouldn't play their game. If Abbie came here tonight expecting open arms and a new daddy, she would be very disappointed. Indeed. Roland Carter would NOT be manipulated!

The rage welled up into Roland's throat. He had to concentrate on keeping his composure. "Well, as much as I've enjoyed dinner, I'm going to retire for the evening. You can see yourselves out."

Before either John or Abbie could respond, he was gone.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John started up the jeep, and they headed back toward the city.

"Well, that wasn't so bad," Abbie said. "Although his goodbyes leave something to be desired." She was relieved to see the end of dinner, though.

John smiled. It had been so hard to pretend he had no interest in Abbie. But now he had her all to himself. "So, my dad didn't scare you off?"

She was twirling her hair in her fingers. "I have to admit, I was nervous. But I think you handled him just fine. It's hard to believe he's your dad, John. You two are like night and day."

"I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me." He reached over to hold her hand.

They were nearly back to the city, when John pulled over and turned off the engine. Without saying a word, he reached over and kissed her. Passionately, at first, but then tenderly, he pulled away. "Thank you. For coming to dinner with me. For putting up with my dad. For giving rise to this ." And he guided her hand between his legs. She felt a shiver run through her as she realized he was rock hard.

"L-L-Let's high-tail it back to my hotel." She couldn't wait to get him alone in her room.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Upstairs, in his room, Roland called his wife. He calculated that it was early morning in Paris. She would just be getting out of bed.

"Laura, it's Roland. I need you to come home. Today."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

END PART FIVE.