Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Understanding
Part Nine - Penny 2
By Cimerene
cimerene@gci.net

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

It was a quick kiss. Kerry admitted to herself. But really what self-respecting female went around kissing another woman’s man! The blonde disengaged herself from John.

“I haven’t seen you in ages.” She yelled above the noise. “Where have you been keeping yourself?” She playfully hit him in the shoulder.

Dave looked distinctly disgruntled. Could this be her ex? Could John be the guy she seemed to pine over all the time? She had never mentioned her ex’s name. Dave was starting to visibly sweat. Making an effort towards being polite he said. “Hi chief.”

John smiled at her playfulness, “I thought you were still in Europe.” John teasingly told her. “Finally decided to grace us with your presence?”   

Who was this GIRL? She thought, then decided to take matters into her own hands. She thrust her hand between them. “Kerry Weaver, here and you are?” Her voice slightly strained and official sounding even to her own ears.

John looked at Kerry for a second. She must be in more pain than I thought. I shouldn’t have let her come out so soon. Well he’d see that she didn’t stay out too late.

The blonde looked at Kerry, and thought to herself. Hmm John must have a new girl. She’s pretty. Strange he usually goes more for blondes than red heads. She shrugged her shoulders.

John smiled and before the blonde could say anything he replied for her. “Kerry, meet Penny.”

Dave looked confused for a moment and murmured, “Penny?”

The girl who had been introduced as Penny just laughed. “Damn, John. I haven’t thought of that nickname in years. What made you think of it?” she giggled.   

Kerry just smiled a tight smile that eerily enough echoed the one on Dave’s face. “Nice to meet you, er… Penny.” 

“Nice to meet you to” Penny replied.

Just as John said. “You’ll always be my Penny.” They both laughed for a few moments. Neither one noticing the looks on both Dave and Kerry’s face.

When Dave broke in. “We were just going to have a bite to eat.” His jealousy, finally kicking in. He didn’t care how rude he sounded. “Maybe, we’ll catch you later.”  

“Hey we haven’t eaten either,” John exclaimed. “Maybe we can all go the Chinese place down the street.” Kerry felt like strangling him. “I guarantee it would be a lot quieter than here.” John said. “Unless that’s a problem for you?” John said looking at Kerry, “I know you were looking forward to listening to the band tonight.” 

Kerry knew she was in trouble. The expression green with jealousy coming to mind. Come to think of it she thought. She was well past green, going straight into a major shade of emerald jealousy. Well I’m not going to sit around and take this.

“Well, Dave’s obviously waited all day to take out Penny.” She said sidestepping his question. A tight smile still planted on her face. OF course she wanted to be HERE with JOHN, and not at some restaurant with his old flame. Her voice was still a bit on the saccharine side. “It would be RUDE to intrude.” Humph fight that you hussy, she thought to herself.

“No, its ok,” Penny replied. “Dave doesn’t mind do you Dave?” she flashed a stunning smile at Dave. Stuck between a rock and hard place, not to mention his boss and his new girlfriend.  

“No, not at all” he grumbled quietly, he knew he had lost the battle when she smiled at him.

“See,” John replied, “it’s all set.”

They all walked through the door. John and Penny laughing and teasing each other. Dave and Kerry glaring daggers.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

********* Chinese Restaurant *********

The walk over would have been more pleasant, Kerry thought. If I didn’t have to listen to her giggle. How can Dave put up with that. She knew she should have stayed home tonight. If she only had listened to that little voice in her head! The one that said, trip her with your cane! Sure the repercussions would have been large, but still, what’s the use of having a cane if you can’t use it! She limped along.

I can’t believe I’m stuck here with the Chief and John. If I had wanted to spend more quality time with them I would have stayed at work more often. I mean Penny and I had some major plans tonight. I can’t believe this is happening. Dave thought irritated. I should have just hit John while I had the chance. I mean horning in on my date. Of all the nerve! How the hell am I going to get rid of them?

John and Penny were chatting, catching up on old times, neither one paying much attention to their companions silence, both laughing and chatting, telling inside jokes that only made sense to the two of them. Their sense of humor was uncannily similar.   All the while consuming massive portions of Chinese food.  

Penny smoothed the red curve hugging silk dress she was wearing and asked Kerry. “Do you work at the same hospital as John and Dave?” she asked Kerry. 

Kerry just smiled slightly. “Well yes, we work in the same department.” Little hussy she thought. Take that! **I** work with him, NOT you! She deliberately began to gently kneed Johns shoulders  See he’s mine she thought. Hands off!!   

Penny smiled looking a bit confused. Odd, it’s almost like she’s jealous of me or something. Hmm. I wonder if John has told her that he and I are… The waiter interrupted her train of thought.
   
“Is everything satisfactory here?” the waiter asked. “Can I get you anything else?”

“Everything’s fine.” John assured the waiter. He was a little worried about Kerry. She had been so quiet tonight. He wondered again for the ninth time, if taking her out so soon was good for her. Maybe she just needed to rest more. “Anyone want desert?”
 
By now the conversation around the table had quieted down a bit. Everyone seemed to be in his or her own little worlds. John was worried about Kerry. Kerry was stressing over John and Penny and her aching leg and her wrist. Dave was worried that Penny might never get over her last love. Which he was by now convinced was John. And Penny was wondering if the shade of nailpolish she was wearing matched exactly with her dress or maybe she should have worn the light coral shade instead for more contrast.

Kerry murmured, “No thanks, none for me.”

John jokingly teased her, “Not even cheesecake?” knowing her love for the creamy delicacy. She smiled slightly at him. “Not tonight. I’m full.”

Dave just shook his head. While Penny giggled. “No, I’m on an eternal diet.”   

I’ll bet Kerry thought. Some people are lucky they can eat whatever they want, I mean the woman had the stomach of a horse, just look at how much food she ate. Probably bulimic she thought to herself. “Just the check would be fine.” She found herself replying.

“I know,” Penny giggled. “Dave and I have plans for later, but how about we all get together some other time?” 

Before Kerry could tell her where to stuff her offer. John said. “Sure, we’d love to. You have my cell number. Just give me a ring.” At which point Kerry nearly throttled both of them.
  
bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

The ride home was made almost in silence. Kerry tried desperately to think of something to say, instead found she couldn’t think of a thing. They entered their home quietly. Without thinking John reached for Kerry’s coat as he did whenever they entered the house, and calmly placed it on a hanger in the closet.  

Kerry also without thinking took off her shoes, and grabbed her usual cane. She had missed the sturdiness of it. She limped towards the Kitchen. “Do you want some tea, or something else to drink?” she said quietly. Part of her still seething over Penny. And another part of her just wishing they had stayed home and had never left for the evening. “I’m putting the kettle on.”

John absently mindedly said, “Sure, if you’re having some.” He was worried that going out so soon had been to hard on Kerry.  She never complained about the pain she was in. So when she got quiet, he had gotten into the habit of assuming that she was in more pain than normal. His suspicions were confirmed when he saw her reach for her medicine, which she kept on a shelf over the microwave. She quickly swallowed two pills with a small glass of water.  

Kerry grabbed 2 cups out of the cupboard; the one with the funny cartoon cat on it for John, because she knew he liked it.  Then selecting a black one for herself. “Your quiet tonight.” John said. “Did you have a good time?”

Kerry pretended to be paying more attention to making the tea than usual, so that she could come up with an excuse to ponder what to say. “Yes, it was interesting.” She replied. “Umm how long have you known Penny?” she asked trying to make it look like an idle question.  

John took cup of tea, and added extra sugar to it and sat down at the table. Before replying. “Sometimes it feels like I’ve known her forever.” Not much I can say about that Kerry thought. She came around to the side of the table where he was sitting. As she was placing her cup on the table. John unexpectedly pulled her into his lap. 

She snuggled up to him. He felt so good. What he ever saw in her, she had no idea. She often wondered how he could possible find her attractive. Especially when it was obvious that he had, had the “penny’s of this world” she aimlessly thought.   

John loved holding Kerry. No matter how the day went, it was so nice to come home to someone you loved. He loved the feel of her, the absolute strength and security she gave him. 

“Why so quiet?” he asked her. “Just a lot on my mind,” she said snuggling further against his firm chest. She felt so safe and secure with him, she just wanted to hold him forever.

“Are you in a lot of pain tonight,” he asked her, his concern evident in his tone of voice.

“A little.” Kerry admitted.  Not wanting to burden him.

“So did you like meeting my cousin, Samantha?” He asked her, idilly playing with her hair.
 

“YOUR WHAT?” Kerry shrieked!!


End of Part Nine

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

If you have comments or suggestions, email me at cimerene@gci.net