Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Understanding
Part Six - Car Accident
By Cimerene
cimerene@gci.net

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John and Kerry were lazing about on the couch.  John was channel surfing while Kerry was curled up next to him reading an article in one of her medical journals. John looked up from what he was pretending to watch to look at Kerry; she looked so peaceful sitting there. He could never get enough of just watching her. 

He watched her for a few more moments, “Did I tell you I spoke to Samantha today?” he asked her.

She looked at him and smiled, “No, how is your cousin doing?” she replied thinking how handsome he was.

John surfed a few more channels before replying, “She seems to be ok. Said she had a new boyfriend?” he laughed. 

John had told her of his cousin and her attempts at relationships. She either dumped them within the first week, or they broke up several months later. No relationship had ever lasted longer than any job she had ever had. Indeed he laughingly said once that they seemed to go hand in hand.  New boss equals new boyfriend. She got the impression, that although he liked his cousin, her taste in men. Wasn’t so great. From what she gathered, she knew that Samantha was the cousin that everyone worried about.

There was silence in the room for several more minutes. John continuing to channel surf the TV, while Kerry once more immersed herself into her article.

The silence was broken by the telephone.

John picked up the portable phone that had been lying on the coffee table next to them. Kerry looked up, curious to see who was calling. “Hello?” John spoke into the phone. “Gamma? What’s up?” he spoke again, “I’m not sure,” he paused “let me ask.” 

“Kerry, Gamma wants us over for dinner on Sunday? Are you on, I forget?”

Kerry looked surprised then thoughtful for a moment, “Only till 5:00, what time does she want us over?”

John spoke into the phone for a few more moments, setting up times, then hung up the receiver. “Looks like its all set” he said. Kerry was quiet for a few moments. John looked at her, she was so beautiful he thought.  “Don’t worry she doesn’t bite.” 

“Oh you,” Kerry replied, before grabbing the nearest pillow and starting world war three in the house.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

************ Sunday *************

 Mark entered the lounge looking just a little bit past exhausted. He lay down on the couch muttering “No more traumas today.” He looked like he had been run over by a steamroller.

Malucci came bouncing into the room. “Dr. Greene, I was wondering?” he paused.

Mark sleepily looked at him. “This had better be good.”

“Well seeing as how everything has calmed down a bit,” he started.

Mark interrupted him, “Don’t even think about leaving!” he growled.

Dave visibly slumped, “Well Dr. Kovak will be here in about 20 minutes, I was just thinking I could leave a few minutes early.”

“Nope, no can do” Mark growled again, “If you are that slow, you can start reviewing charts. If not I’m sure I could find lots of paperwork for you to can get started on.”

Dave looked visibly irritated. And as he walked back to the admin desk, you could still here him muttering, “Just a few minutes early won’t kill anyone.”

Dr. Chen, who was busy reviewing her charts, laughed lightly as he growled by. “What’s the matter?” she said.

“I wanted to leave a few minutes early,” Dave began.

Deb just laughed, “Got a hot date to get ready for.”

“Kinda” Dave had the grace to look sheepish. 

Deb just laughed again, and continued what she was doing. 

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John was in the downstairs bathroom, growling at his tie. John hated going to Gamma’s, well that’s not entirely true he thought to himself. What he really wanted to do was stay home with Kerry.  Maybe just snuggle under the cover till they had to get up the next day. He sighed as he looked in the mirror, dam I hate wearing ties. He wasn’t in the mood for a third degree. He wasn’t sure of how Gamma was going to handle him and Kerry. He loved his Grandmother, but he knew instinctively that she wouldn’t take the boss/junior attending idea well. He also wasn’t to sure if their age differences would bother her either? 

He looked in the mirror for a few more moments. Damn tie he thought. He stared at himself for a few more moments. That’s it, its going to have to be a sweater.

Kerry was in the upstairs bathroom, trying to get her hair to work. How do other women do this she thought! Her hair refused to go the way she wanted. And makeup! That was another problem. Her dress was awful. What had she been thinking when she bought this? She had already tried on every other dress in her closet. Changed 3 times, and finally came to the conclusion that none of them would work. The dress she was wearing was the only one that looked almost decent. She was trying for nice, and not too old, but every dress she owned shrieked “You’re older than John!” 

She just knew that John’s Grandmother would not approve of her! John kept trying to tell her she would. As his boss yes, that wasn’t a problem. She had even met Millicent Carter a few times, but that was different. But as his girlfriend? Sigh. One good thing, she thought, at least she wouldn’t have to meet his parents tonight. They were still on some sort of a cruise in the Bahamas. She sighed again. She looked at her hair one more time in the mirror before deciding she couldn’t possibly ruin it any more than she already had.

John called to Kerry from the other room “Kerry, hurry up or we’ll be late.” She sighed and looked into the mirror again, “We’ll, here goes nothing” she told herself.

 bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Dr. Luka Kovac wondered into the ER, just as Randi answered the phone. “E.R”, she said.  Then was quiet for a few seconds before saying, “Ok, we got it.” She hung up before yelling at Mark. “Dr. Greene, EMT’s just called, there are MVA’s on the way. A truck mangled with a jeep.  They are estimating 2 minutes before arrival.” 

“You heard the woman,” Mark called out. “Dr. Kovac, so nice you could join us.” They both walked toward the entrance. The area was chaotic with activity, nurses and orderlies busy scurrying back and forth getting ready. 

Mark and Luka went outside to wait. Neither one saying a word. Both were quietly waiting, for the clock to tick, and their work to begin.

“Where is everyone?” Luka said in his quiet voice.

Mark looked up briefly and said, “Dr. Weaver and Dr. Carter have the night off, Dr. Finch, and Romano are around somewhere.” 

“Oh” was all that Luka replied. Mark was a hard guy for him to understand sometimes, he thought.

They both looked up when the sirens came closer, both flinching when the EL took that precise moment to scoot by. Without thinking, both in unison, they grabbed the gurney that the EMT’s were pushing off the Ambulance. Mark called out “What we got here.”

The taller of the EMT’s called out  “Possible concussion, possible broken arm, and ribs. She hasn’t responded to anything yet. The guy who was with her said she worked here. He’ll be following in the next car”. With that the EMT swung back into his truck to reach for his clipboard.

With shock, Mark moved the red hair slightly away from the victim’s face to find out it was Kerry. 


End of Part Six

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

If you have comments or suggestions, email me at cimerene@gci.net