Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Caught Unawares
Part Five
By Cimerene
cimerene@gci.net

Special thanks goes out to Cathy for the title, beta reading, and wonderful editing job.

Spoilers - There are season 7 spoilers, write me if you need more clarification.

Notes: Apologies for this chapter taking so long, real life intruded, and for once I was unable to un-intrude it..

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

The deafening sound of pool balls crackled around the room, scattering around the table, shooting every which way, spreading out to encompass nearly every open space.

Kerry stared at the table, irritated at her options, she casually glanced over at John; his expression gave nothing away. It was their 4th game of the evening and somewhere along the line the game had become deadly serious, natural competitiveness getting in the way.

She squinted, carefully aimed, and managed to put not one, but two, solid balls in the corner pocket. Eyeing her chances, she searched for another likely target, shot and missed. Pretending nonchalance, Kerry backed away from the table to watch John studying his chances, his eyes intently focused on the table.

He leaned and took aim. Kerry watched gleefully as he missed, hastily wiping all expression off her face, she walked over to the side of the table where he was at. Eyes intent on the table, she registered him moving out of her way as she took aim, only to miss. Ruefully she shook her head and waved him towards the table, watching as he took an easy shot, then studiously went on to his next.

As he chose his next shot, Kerry picked up a mug of tea and sipped slowly, for once letting herself enjoy the sight of him in tight slacks, a sight she had seen before, but definitely wasn't able to enjoy until now.

She watched as he made the shot he was aiming for and went for his third. At this rate he was going to win yet another game, she thought, disgusted. She watched a smug grin appear on his face, a grin that was quickly wiped off as he missed his next shot. Putting down her mug, she stepped forward, picked up the small square of chalk and used it on the tip of her stick, aware that John was watching her every move.

Glancing across the table, Kerry stared at the remaining balls, scanned for options, analyzed her chances took aim, and missed. Irritated at missing, she quickly attempted to examine why, and was so intent on this self-examination of the pool table that she was startled when John pulled her into his arms until she was leaning against his chest.

"I thought we were playing a game here." She commented half-heartedly.

"I can think of a some games I'd rather be playing." He rumbled against her ear, sending delicious shivers down her spine.

Kerry pulled away, taking their cue sticks with her and deliberately placed them on the table.

Grabbing him by the suspenders, she pulled him close to her, so close they almost touched, just stopping short she watched him silently, then teasingly asked.

"Like?"

Kerry was shocked as John picked her up suddenly and placed her on the edge of the pool table, their eyes level. He leaned close, his breath warm next to her skin, as he moved a lock of hair out of her eyes and fluffed it back slightly. He then removed her glasses, placed them on the table behind her.

His movements were slow and deliberate, as with a soft fingertip he traced her lips, moving his finger ever so slowly across them, then trailing down her neck. He watched as she closed her eyes and instinctively arched her back slightly. As she did, he leaned forward and kissed her, his lips teasing against hers, exploring, softly telling her what he wanted.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Afterglow, Kerry thought, was one of the most pleasing aspects of not sleeping alone. Lying in bed for hours, talking quietly, laughing softly, content to be together was an added bonus.

"We're on at 7:00 tomorrow." Kerry spoke quietly as her fingers traced patterns on his smooth chest.

"I know." John said softly as he pulled her close against him, almost purring as he felt Kerry's silky skin rub against his.

"Do you think Elizabeth knows?" Kerry asked suddenly. The question came unbidden. After seeing Elizabeth in the grocery store so soon after they had gotten together, they spoke not a word about it, for once content to ignore the consequences of their actions. Yet in an odd way, seeing Elizabeth at the grocery store firmed up her internal beliefs that no one should know. That keeping their affair private was the only way they could stay together.

"I don't know, Mark isn't acting any different towards me. Is he acting different towards you?" John murmured against her hair. He worried that what he had with Kerry would end before it should. He knew instinctively that the hospital administration would frown on his relationship with Kerry, no matter how careful they were to keep it separate from their jobs. He also knew after finding Kerry, that being with her was the most exciting and wonderful relationship he had ever been in. Not wanting to spoil the moment, he kept his fears to himself.

"He seems fine, it's not like we ever really chat or anything." Kerry replied. Inwardly she thought of how Mark seemed more distant and cold to her recently. She wasn't sure if it was his normal sense of detachment towards her or if he had changed. She knew she dared not ask, but she found herself hoping against hope that Elizabeth had kept quiet about their run in.

"Maybe she thought nothing of it." John said softly, worry in his voice. He thought about what a dangerous line he was treading, and how if he wasn't careful their entire relationship would crumble like a house of cards tipped over by the careless hand of a child.

"Do we have to talk about this tonight?" Kerry said as she pulled him down for a deep kiss. She knew she shouldn't worry, but the airing of their dilemma had taken the joy out of the moment, causing them both to doubt.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry shifted in her seat. This meeting was going nowhere fast, she thought to herself. For a solid hour now, she'd been bored silly. More bored than when Bob, or was it Rob, she thought, had taken her out for that disastrous date. Just thinking of the pharmaceutical idiot had caused Kerry to realize how utterly bored she was. And how grateful she was that she and John had met that fateful evening.

She glanced across the table and casually met his eyes. His warm brown eyes, the same eyes that were reminding her of the events that had transpired the previous evening. Shaking her head slightly, she forced herself to pay attention to Romano. It didn't work.. At the moment he was droning on and on about vacation time, and how every employee must contact him personally regarding it's usage during the upcoming winter months. Kerry laughed inwardly. She knew that what Robert really meant was he would deal with it for a few days, then leave the entire mess in her hands, then it would continue on as it had before.

She moved slightly in her chair, then pretended to nod as Romano made another boring point. The light in the room was almost directly over him; he used it as a spotlight, Kerry thought, unaware of how it turned his shadow from the form of a man to the form of a chicken. Really, she thought, watching him prance around the room. His shadow not only resembled a chicken, but his strutting was that of a rooster. Determinably, she turned away from her sudden thoughts of barnyard animals, and tried to pay attention to him.

Kerry found herself pinching the skin beneath her elbow just to stay awake. Once she even had to unobtrusively hit Malucci in the side as his snoring had just barely become audible, only to be rewarded with his "HUH? MOM?" which had caused a virtual chuckle around the room, and a glare from Robert.

Kerry tuned back into the conversation in time to hear Romano drone, "Over scheduling of holiday vacation time is becoming a rampant problem. Now, as we all know, being with our relatives on the holidays is important.. But from now till January 5, I will personally oversee all vacation requests. This means folks, if I say you are working Christmas, you are going to work Christmas." Romano glared as the group left, muttering. As Kerry stood to leave, he placed a hand on her arm.

"A moment of your time, Dr. Weaver."

The dispersing crowd moved to part around them and soon the room was empty of loiters. It was now quiet with just the two of them.

Damn, he would pick now to want a conversation, Kerry thought tiredly. She stifled a yawn and tried to look attentive.

"Robert?"

"We need to discuss some staff issues." Dr. Romano intoned seriously.

'Staff issues,' Kerry thought inwardly, 'I wonder who he is thinking of firing now?'

"It's come to my attention that a certain attending we have on staff here at county is seeing a certain resident of ours. Now, we all know that there are rules in situations such as this, Kerry, but I want you to get to the bottom of this 'situation' and have it stopped immediately. If it continues we might have to find someone who is, shall we say," he paused and stared her straight in to her face. "A little more concerned with the rules."

Robert imparted his words then strutted away, unaware of the knife he had just plunged into Kerry's chest.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Lost: grapes of wrath. Has anyone seen them??

ERFANFICTIONZONE: http://www.egroups.com/group/ERFANFICTIONZONE
HOME PAGE: http://www.geocities.com/cimerene/
Quack, Quack, Quack!