Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

The Beauty And His Beast
Part Two
By Cathy Roberts
huntersglenn@yahoo.com

Rating: NC-17
Series: 2/3
Pairing: Luka Kovac/?
Date: October 20, 2000
Archive: Please ask first

Disclaimer: "ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. Summary: This was inspired by the many versions of the famous fairy tale "Beauty And The Beast". I located a web site that holds a lot of fairy tales, including several versions of this classic. The URL is: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/folktexts.html. Needless to say, this isn't the Disney version!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Luka had been all over the castle and even outside to the garden. It was now getting dark and his stomach growled loudly at him. At first, he thought that Beast had returned, but the slight ache that accompanied the next growl told him that he was simply hungry. Luka made his way to the dining room and found to his delight that the table was already loaded with all of his favorite foods, even though he had only thought about what he wanted. He sat down and dug in with gusto. The food may have been produced by magic, but it was delicious. He was nearly done when Beast returned.

"May I come in?" Beast asked from the doorway.

"Of course. This is your castle, after all."

Beast shook his head. "You are the master here, Luka. If you tell me to go, then I will go."

"And yet you will not free me?"

"You are here because your father allowed you to trade places with him."

"I agreed to come here because I love my father and didn't want him to die. You didn't give him much of a choice, Beast."

"I was not the one who stole, Luka." Beast sat in the chair across the table from Luka. "Was your meal satisfactory?"

"It was delicious, beast. Did someone prepare it?"

"The castle prepared it. Anything you wish for, the castle will give you."

"Anything?" Luka asked with a smile.

"Anything," Beast assured him.

"I will try to not abuse that." Luka smiled and was pleased to see what appeared to be a smile on Beast's face.

"So, Luka, how do you like the castle? Are your rooms satisfactory?"

"My rooms are fine. Thank you, or rather, thank you, Castle, for the library. I love to read."

"There have always been many books here. Reading was a favorite past-time for me."

"You don't read any more?"

Beast held up his paws. "I can't turn pages with these. I tried and ended up tearing the pages. I can manage most things, but not turning the pages of a book," he sadly replied.

"Then I shall read to you, Beast. Would you like that?"

Luka could have sworn that beast smiled once more as he heard that question. "Yes, Luka. I would like that."

They were quiet for a bit as Luka finished his desert. He finally set the fork aside and carefully wiped his face and hands. "Shall we start tonight? I saw some very interesting titles in the main library."

"As you wish, Luka."

"Do you have a preference, Beast?"

"Anything you choose will be fine with me," Beast replied. He got up and followed Luka to the library. As they walked down the main hallway the lamps on the wall would light up to illuminate their way while the ones behind them would go out. Luka paused more than once to watch that happen, feeling a fascination for the process.

"How efficient. Why waste lamp oil when no one is in a room?" Luka observed.

"The castle would leave them all lit if you preferred it that way," Beast informed him.

"So the castle knows how I feel and what I want?" Luka wasn't sure he could believe that, even though dinner had been prepared without him actually asking for any of those dishes.

"Has it not proved that to you so far?"

They had reached the library and the doors opened before them. When they walked in, the room was ablaze with light and a fire burned invitingly in the fireplace.

Beast stretched out on the rug before the fire as Luka went to the shelves to choose a book. When Luka returned, he seated himself in a chair. He had been tempted to stretch out in front of the fire as well, but he wasn't quite sure what to expect from Beast and he felt that he should take the time to get to know his...whatever it was that Beast was, better. Was he his captor? Captors didn't give their prisoners free reign of their prison. And yet, Luka knew he was not allowed to leave the castle and its grounds. Beast certainly wasn't his friend, not yet, anyway. And even though he was an animal, he definitely wasn't a pet. Pets didn't come that big, and they didn't think and talk or have feelings. All of which Beast did.

"Beast?"

"Yes, Luka?"

"Why am I here?"

Beast raised his head and looked carefully at Luka. After another moment had passed in silence, he answered. "Because you wanted to read a book to me."

"You know that isn't what I meant, Beast."

Beast nodded, but instead of answering he turned his head toward the fire and laying it down on the rug. Luka knew that he wasn't going to get a different answer from Beast tonight. Perhaps like himself, Beast didn't know if he could trust him. After all, they barely knew each other.

Luka opened the book and turned to the first page, beginning to read, "The seduction of the unwary is a task seldom undertaken without a great deal of prior thought..."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Luka snuggled under his warm blankets. His throat was still slightly sore from reading out loud for nearly two hours, but he had not wanted to stop reading. It had been Beast who had made him stop, promising that he would get to read to him once again tomorrow after dinner. Beast even walked him to his room, stopping at the door and refusing to enter.

"These are your private rooms, Luka. It would not be right for me to enter."

"I really wouldn't mind, Beast."

Beast shook his head, his mane of hair fluffing out as he did so. Luka's hands itched with a desire to run his fingers through Beast's fur and he made a mental note to himself to ask if he could brush out Beast's coat. It certainly needed it. A bath wouldn't be completely out of the question either, even though Beast didn't smell any worse than any of the animals that had been on the farm. Still, Beast was manlike, and men bathed regularly. Or at least, Luka bathed regularly.

"Luka, would you marry me?" Beast suddenly asked.

Luka blinked. "Marry you?" He knew that he was alive only because Beast had desired his company, but he couldn't lie to him. "No, Beast, I could never marry you. I don't love you. I sense that we could become friends, but I don't see love there."

Beast gazed long at him then nodded. "So be it. Good night, Luka." Beast bowed, then headed off down the hallway.

Luka watched him go, then went into his apartments. He felt bad about hurting Beast's feelings, but he felt it best to not start out things by lying. He really did want to become friends with Beast. He had not had many friends back home and he knew that Beast had none. Thinking about home had brought tears to Luka's eyes and he wished that he could see the farm and know how his family was doing.

Luka was startled when he walked into his bedroom and instead of seeing his reflection in the mirror he was the farm and cottage. He saw his father riding up and his brothers greeting him. His father appeared sad, but not his brothers. The image wavered and then Luka was looking at himself. "Thank you," he whispered.

Luka shook his head, trying to get rid of his sad thoughts. He wanted to get a good night's sleep, even if he wasn't expected to work in the castle. He wanted to walk through the gardens before breakfast, maybe even search out Beast so they could walk through them together. With a smile on his face, Luka fell asleep.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

There had been no sign of Beast, even though Luka pointedly told the castle that he wanted to walk with Beast. So, Luka ended up in the garden alone, thinking that the castle could meet not all of his wishes. Feeling melancholy for the first time since his arrival, Luka wandered aimlessly down the paths, not even seeing the flowers and trees around him. When he finally came to a stop, he saw that he was standing by a familiar looking rose bush. Close examination of the bush revealed that a stem had been cut from it. This was the bush that his father had cut. Luka swallowed hard, willing himself to not cry over his predicament. Of all the things he had to ask for, why had it been a rose? And why had his father not asked permission to cut the flower? If he had, then Luka would be home where he belonged and not alone in an empty castle. A single tear escaped and Luka angrily wiped it away. Rage surged through his veins and he began to attack the rose bush, not even noticing when the thorns pierced his skin. It wasn't until the bush was completely destroyed that Luka began to feel any pain. He stood in the flowerbed, surrounded by crushed rose petals and mangled canes, bleeding and crying. Luka sank to his knees, his head in his hands as he sobbed. He wasn't sure how long he cried, but when he finally got to his feet he saw Beast standing on the path, quietly watching him. And that seemed to anger Luka even more. If Beast had been there to walk with him, then none of this would have happened.

"Go away, Beast. I would prefer to not look at your ugliness today," Luka snapped.

Beast bent his head. "As you desire, Luka." Then he dropped to all fours and ran off.

Despite his anger, Luka couldn't help but feel admiration over how graceful Beast looked as he ran, and he immediately regretted his words. His heart heavy, Luka returned to his rooms to clean up. Once again, the castle anticipated his needs. He had clean water and soap waiting for him, and bandages as well. Once he was clean, Luka asked for breakfast and he ate that in his room, then spent the rest of the day reading.

Dinner was disappointing because Beast never showed up. Luka barely tasted his meal and when his stomach signaled that it was full, Luka headed up to bed, his head low and his heart sad. If Beast had not shown up for dinner, then be wouldn't be there for their reading appointment. Before he went to bed, he asked to see his father again. As he watched his father read at the desk in his room, Luka touched the mirror. "I miss you, Father." Donald looked up from his ledger and it seemed as if he were looking directly at Luka. Then the image wavered and disappeared, leaving Luka to look himself in the eyes. And he didn't like what he saw.

"You were mean today, Luka." He told his reflection. "You have only one companion here and you hurt his feelings. You will do better tomorrow."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

The next morning, Luka ate breakfast first, then headed for the garden. He stepped outside and was pleased to see that Beast was standing by the garden wall. He walked up to him.

"Beast, I apologize for what I said yesterday. It was rude of me to speak to you like that and send you away."

"You have no need to apologize, Luka. I know that I am ugly and not fit company."

"That's not true, Beast. There are beautiful men out in the world that have ugly hearts which ruin their beauty. I can tell that your heart is good and kind."

"Kind, Luka? Have you forgotten that I sentenced your father to death? Have you forgotten that I let your father trade his life for yours? Have you forgotten all of that?"

"No, Beast. I haven't forgotten any of that. But my father was wrong to cut the rose bush without permission, and he did that because I asked for a rose as a present from him. It is my own greed that puts me here, Beast."

"You were angry yesterday, Luka." It was a calm statement of fact and not an accusation and Beast's dark brown eyes seemed gentle as he stared at Luka.

"Yes. I'm sorry about the rose bush. It was wrong for me to destroy it."

"It doesn't matter. You are the master here now, Luka. If a plant offends you, then you have the right to remove it. If you wish to plant something, ask for the plant and it will be there."

"And if I wish to plant it myself? I don't have much to do around here, so working in the garden would be nice."

"Anything you wish, Luka."

Luka grinned. "I was hoping you'd say that. What I wish for right now is to take a walk with you in the garden."

Beast bowed to him, "Lead the way, Luka."

And so began the first of many days filled with long walks and deep conversation between the two. Luka found Beast to be an intelligent and insightful companion, even if he did have to say "No." each and every night when Beast would propose to him. As for himself, Luka discovered that his homesickness was gradually disappearing and the thought of spending the rest of his days alone with Beast was not as heartbreaking as it had been at first.

The spring came, brining with it rain. Lots of rain. Walking in the garden was a thing of memory, so Luka and Beast amused themselves in the library, spending many hours reading in front of the fire. Luka had become bold and finally settled himself on the rug at Beast's side, feeling more comfortable on the floor. Beast had refrained from comment and had merely moved aside to make more room for Luka so that the man wouldn't end up with part of his body on the cold stone floor. But one morning, Luka settled upon the floor and immediately got to his feet again.

"Is something wrong, Luka?" Beast asked, looking up with concern in his eyes.

Luka wrinkled his nose. "Well, yes. Um, you smell, Beast." Luka thought a moment. "Like a cross between a wet dog and a horse."

"I am most sorry. The rainy days haven't given me much of a chance to get completely dry." Beast moved closer to the fire, but Luka retreated to the armchair.

Beast sighed as he laid his head upon his folded arms and Luka glanced up over the top of the book at him, thinking that it was finally time for that bath.

The next day dawned with clear skies and warm sunshine. Luka whistled happily as he asked for the castle to give him old clothes to wear and to put a tub of hot bath water in the garden. Today was bath day, even if Luka had to wrestle Beast into the tub in order to accomplish the task. Not that the idea of wrestling Beast was onerous. In fact, it was quite the contrary. Luka had often watched the rippling of the muscles under Beast's fur and the idea of rolling around on the ground, matching and testing each other's strengths was appealing to him.

Luka ate a quick breakfast before heading for the garden. As requested, the tub was waiting, along with various bath implements; a pitcher for rinsing, soap, towels, lots of towels, a comb and brush for after the bath. A slight tremor ran up Luka's spine as he thought about running the brush over Beast's skin and through his dark fur. This was going to be a good day, he thought.

A growl from the head of the path caught Luka's attention and he turned to face Beast.

"What is this?" Beast asked as he stepped toward Luka.

"Your bath, Beast."

"My bath?"

Luka nodded. "Remember last night? I mentioned that you were beginning to...well, smell a bit rank."

"The weather has turned dry."

"You still smell."

"I do?"

Luka nodded and Beast took a few more steps toward the tub.

"Is the water warm?"

"I told the castle to have it hot, so it should be just the right temperature by now." Luka stuck his hand into the water and splashed it around. "It feels fine to me. Get in and I'll wash you."

"I'll just soak."

Luka shook his head. "You need a good scrubbing. Get in." Luka grinned at Beast, ignoring the way that Beast was baring his teeth at him. By now he knew all of Beast's moods and this was one he could easily handle.

"I don't like water."

"You never hesitate to stay out in the rain," Luka replied.

"That's different. I have to go outside to hunt" Beast argued.

"And I have to smell you. I am the master here, Beast, remember?"

"I remember," Beast mumbled.

"Good. Get in."

A low rumble started in Beast's throat but he carefully stepped into the tub and slowly settled his body into the water.

"Be quick about this. I don't like it at all," Beast complained.

"You will." Luka dipped the pitcher into the water and then slowly poured the contents out over Beast's shoulders. Beast squirmed a bit, trying to keep his body away from the water, but Luka kept at it, aiming higher with each pass until he had all of Beast wet.

"Be still, Beast, or this will take longer than needed."

"How can I be still when you keep torturing me with water?" Beast snapped.

Luka laughed. "You're just spoilt, Beast." Luka joked as he lathered his hands and then began to rub the soap into Beast's fur. Luka slowly worked the suds into Beast's skin and he smiled as Beast's growl slowly turned into a constant purr.

"I think you're starting to like this," Luka commented.

"It feels good when you scratch right there. I can never reach that spot." Beast sighed as Luka scratched even harder at the spot right between his shoulder blades. "That's perfect, Luka. Thank you."

"You know, Beast, that if you have an itch you can't reach, then I'd be more than happy to scratch it for you?"

"I did not want to impose upon you, Luka."

"There would be no imposition. Next time, ask me."

"I'll remember that. Thank you, Luka," Beast said.

"Good." Luka continued his slow massaging of Beast's head and neck, then he carefully rinsed the fur. Another soaping followed along with more massaging and after that rinse, Luka was ready to move further down Beast's body.

"Lean forward so I can get your back," Luka instructed.

"If you massage my back like the way you did my neck, then I will certainly fall asleep on you, Luka."

"As long as you don't slide under the water, then that will be okay. I don't want you to drown, Beast."

"Truly?" Beast turned his head to look eye to eye at Luka.

Luka nodded as he looked into Beast's questioning eyes. "Truly, Beast."

"Then will you marry me, Luka?"

Luka laughed. "It's not nighttime, Beast. You never ask me that until after dinner."

"I'm feeling contrary today," Beast replied. "Well? Will you marry me?"

"No, Beast. I don't love you."

Beast turned back around, but Luka could feel his body become tense under his hands.

"I'm sorry, Beast."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Luka. I can't make you love me, and I wouldn't marry you if there was not love there."

Luka hesitated as he heard that. Was Beast saying that he was in love with him? Would Beast propose if he didn't feel love for him? Luka had been thinking that the nightly proposal was nothing more than a game they played, but what if Beast was serious? Luka's hands jerked away when Beast turned around in the tub.

"Luka, are you all right? I asked you a question but you didn't answer me."

Luka looked away from the concern in Beast's eyes. He didn't know what to think about now that he had to face the possibility that Beast loved him.

"I'm fine. I need to rinse your back now."

Beast carefully regarded Luka, then turned back around so Luka could rinse his fur.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

End of Part 2