Vows and Promises
Part Sixteen
By Susan
lilichild@aol.com

ARCHIVE: Sure, just tell me where
TIMELINE: Well, this part takes place in the summer before season 7 and goes from there, the other parts will take place later, it’ll make more sense once you read the fic.
SPOILERS: I don’t read ‘em. You shouldn’t either J That said, anything that I didn’t beyond the latest aired episode is pure speculation.
DISCLAIMER: The story is mine, the characters aren’t. They belong to Warner Brothers, don’t waste your time suing, I have no money
NOTE: This is part one of a series and is my first fic, be kind J Comments welcome
PREVIOUSLY: Doug and Carol got engaged (yes, again), and decided upon a post Thanksgiving wedding at the house in Seattle. Doug called Mark to share the good news and asked him to be his best man. Mark accepted, Chuni, Haleh, and Conni overheard and put two and two together so to speak and asked if they were right in their assumption. Mark told them yes, and the three nearly knocked him over hugging.
NOTE: This is getting longer all the time, I DO have a plan for this fic, but I really want to set it up first. So forgive me, if the early parts seem slow. I promise and VOW <grin> I'm going somewhere with this. Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement, guys!
Sorry for the delay in this part. Last week has been insane for me...

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

CHICAGO
Mark chuckled to himself. He never would have thought it. He cast a look around the morning EL train and drifted off into thought. Doug had called the night before. That wasn't unusual, Doug's calls had become more frequent as Carol's pregnancy had progressed. Yet, the amount of calls from Doug had been surprising.

He certainly was happy for Doug and Carol. It seemed like his friends were all happy these days. Doug and Carol were finally together, finally getting married and they had two adorable babies to boot. He was definitely happy, and if he was any judge of things he would say Elizabeth was too. It had been so long since he had been in love. God, was he in love? The thought seemed so odd to him, the last person he loved was Susan Lewis. Susan, who was going to be at the wedding opposite him. He wished he wouldn't have to go through that. Yet, he knew he couldn't deny Doug and Carol, after all it was their wedding and they were his dearest friends. Still, he hoped that Susan showed up with a boyfriend or a date. He had heard from Doug that she was still single, but little details beyond that. He didn't want to ask, truth was that he didn't want to know he, he thought grimly. He didn't have a problem with seeing Susan with someone, the problem would be if she showed up alone and saw him with Elizabeth.

Sure, Elizabeth had said she was fine with the whole arrangement, but he wondered if she was really. He didn't want to hurt her, and... he really did love her. He thought happily. I'm in love. He felt like a teenager again and right now he wouldn't mind making out with his girlfriend in the back of a car. He chided himself for thinking that, then figured what the hell and smiled to himself being in the back of a car with Elizabeth definitely sounded enjoyable. Maybe, they'll do that on their date tonight.

He snapped out of his fantasy with the realization that the other passengers on the subway were looking at him oddly. He put the Liz fantasy on hold for the moment and went back to his original thought. Yes, he was definitely happy. As was Liz, Doug, Carol... the smile faded from his face when he thought of Carter. He had heard about Carter's fight with Doug and Carol and the call from Peter Benton. God, poor Carter. He knew he should call Carter, but he felt akward doing it. Truth was, he felt guilty. I should have caught it before, Mark scolded himself. I should have known. Carter had been depressed and in a weird mood for months, he was doing too much, too soon. Why hadn't Mark seen? It's not like he hadn't been depressed after a brutal attack himself. Mark knew the road of pain that Carter was traveling all too well. It was only because of his friends keeping an eye on him that he escaped the same fate. Doug had refused to write him prescriptions, and all of them kept a close eye on him. And who was there for Carter? Mark thought bitterly, no one. Mark still blamed himself for that, he should have checked on him it was the least he could have done.

He knew he wasn't entirely responsible. He longed to talk to Kerry about this. Talk about Carter, about what they could do for him now. Yet, Kerry obviously did not want to touch the subject. Every time someone brought up Carter's name she either began yelling that there was work to be done, or excused herself. Mark didn't get Kerry's behavior at all these days. He figured she was upset, but like months before with Carter, he didn't know what to say or do. No all his friends weren't happy. Half were happy, the other half had their lives falling apart at the seams.

He reached the stop for County, just then and exited the train. God, it was a hot summer in Chicago, for only mid June the temperature was already in the low 90's. He headed in the ER as he had every morning. It seemed so familiar, so much like home.

"Morning, Dr. Greene!" Jerry called out from behind the desk.
He glanced at the overweight clerk, he didn't appear cheerful. "Morning, Jerry" Mark replied glancing at the board. He saw Kerry's name already up. "Dr. Weaver's here already?"
"Here and in one hell of a mood" Jerry replied darkly. "Makes me glad to be leaving in a month.
"Whatever, Jerry. I'll be in curtain 2" Mark replied signing himself up on the board and grabbing a chart. As he headed down to curtian two, he heard a soft sound coming from the curtain one. As he got closer, he was able to make it out. It was faint, but it was definite crying. The room was dark. He wondered who would be crying.
He opened the door and flicked on the lights.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)