Vows and Promises
Part Thirteen
By Susan
lilichild@aol.com

ARCHIVE: Sure, just tell me where
TIMELINE: Well, this part takes place in the summer before season 7 and goes from there, the other parts will take place later, it’ll make more sense once you read the fic.
SPOILERS: I don’t read ‘em. You shouldn’t either J That said, anything that I didn’t beyond the latest aired episode is pure speculation.
DISCLAIMER: The story is mine, the characters aren’t. They belong to Warner Brothers, don’t waste your time suing, I have no money
NOTE: This is part one of a series and is my first fic, be kind J Comments welcome
PREVIOUSLY: Doug and Carol got engaged (yes, again), and decided upon a post Thanksgiving wedding at the house in Seattle. Doug called Mark to share the good news and asked him to be his best man. Mark accepted, Chuni, Haleh, and Conni overheard and put two and two together so to speak and asked if they were right in their assumption. Mark told them yes, and the three nearly knocked him over hugging.
PREVIOUSLY: Doug and Carol became engaged “again”. They planned a post Thanksgiving wedding and the list of attendants became rather large. Susan Lewis was to be maid of honor and Mark best man.
NOTE: So, here we are at lucky number 13. As always, I believe that people still talk to their friends after someone moves away, unlike ER. Thanks for everyone’s great comments, I didn’t think this would have so many fans. It’s the little fic that could!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

“Know what?” Carol asked confused. What the hell was so important that Doug had to do? Doug left the room then and returned carrying a large paper grocery bag.

“Uh, Doug? I think we have plenty of food, and last time I checked the Y2K scare was over.” Carol said eyeing the bag.

Doug just shook his head, then lifted the bag, turned it upside down, and emptied the contents onto the table. About thirty magazines came pouring onto the table and spilled onto the floor.

“Modern Bride… Bride… Wedding Bells… Your Big Day?” Carol picked up the magazines, looking in amazement at their titles. She noticed a label on the front cover with her name and mailing address. “Doug!” She exclaimed “You subscribed me to every wedding magazine known to man.”

“Well, actually… I subscribed me but I couldn’t put Doug Ross on the label, now could I?” Doug said his eyes twinkling with delight. He had subscribed to the magazines soon after he found out that Carol was pregnant. He was didn’t see it as silly, really, just an investment in their future.

Carol began to laugh hysterically. She was touched that Doug thought so much about marrying her that he had subscribed to wedding magazines, but the thought that DOUG ROSS had subscribed to wedding magazines, had her in stitches.

Doug looked a little hurt. He had thought she’d be touched, instead here she was laughing at him. Actually, Doug thought, she looks like she’s going to wet herself laughing. “Are you done?” Doug asked pointedly.

Carol tried to regain control of herself. “Yeah, I think so” Carol said, but then another image popped into her head and she knew it was a hopeless cause “I was just wondering if you’d picked out what kind of veil you wanted”. She dissolved again into a fit of laughter.

Doug shook his head “I’m not going to live this one down am I?”

“Not for a long time” Carol said between laughing. “Oh, Doug, I’m sorry. But who on earth thought you’d have a subscription to ‘Blushing Bride’?” She said reading the title of one of the magazines. She started laughing again “I didn’t even know there was a ‘Blushing Bride’ magazine.”

“Well, they aren’t all bridal magazines” Doug pointed out “I added a couple of ‘Playboys’ and a ‘Hustler’ for spice.” Doug grabbed three magazines and hid them behind his back.

“You did not!” Carol shrieked and tried to grab the magazines.

“Hey, I got a little lonely waiting for you.” Doug teased and held the magazines rolled up above her head.

“Well, I’m here now” Carol said and began to slowly his him. She knew it would drive him wild.

“No fair” Doug said breaking the kiss. He still held the magazines rolled in his left hand but wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer.

“I know” Carol replied seductively. She ran her arms up his torso and settled them on her shoulders.

“That’s it” Doug proclaimed, lifting Carol into his arms and heading for the stairs

“Where are we going?” Carol asked innocently, nuzzling against his neck.

“Where do you think?” Doug whispered into her ear.

“Anything you say, Mr. Blushing Bride” Carol responded.

They were at the foot of the stairs when the phone rang. Doug rolled his eyes, Carol groaned.

“Let the machine get it” Doug said dismissively. Damn it, do these people have radar? Doug thought.

“It may be important” Carol said reluctantly. She certainly didn’t want to answer it either, but then again the majority of their friends and family lived away.

“If it’s a telemarketer, I’m suing” Doug muttered angrily, putting Carol down and heading for the phone.

“Yeah” Doug said into the phone. This better be important, Doug thought.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)