Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Lessons Learned
Part Thirteen
By Kristen
kdarganin@hotmail.com

Archive: Yes, just let me know.
Disclamier: I do now own the characters of ER I am just borrowing them for fun.

Note: This chapter would not have been possible without the help of Debbie who answered in my time of need with wonderful brilliance. Thank you so much Debbie! I am not a doctor, so the medical situations might not be totally accurate, but I do some research into the matter. This is fanfiction.

Warning: This contains some serious angst.

Category: Story/Angst (JC/PB/LK/RR)

Notes: Thank you Jackie for all of your wonderful advice and editing!

Comments: Of course! Kdarganin@hotmail.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes) 

Peter Benton tiredly walked down the hallway. He had notes to take on several patients in recovery, but he wanted to stop by to see Carter. He knew he was a bit hard on the doctor, but the wall was back up and he didn't feel the need to coddle him. He wanted Carter to recover fully this time, but he was just so damned worried. Benton would not allow himself to be caught off guard again along Carter's road back to good health. Dr. Kovac's speech still ran through his head. Carter was independent, and it seemed he hated to be perceived any differently. He always just wanted to be treated with respect by his peers and desperately sought it from him.

Peter Benton did not have friends. He knew co-workers; he had his sister, and his wonderful son. Never did he try nor want any friends. That required effort, time, and somewhat who gave a damn. His life had changed when his son was born; it was given new meaning and perspective. There was more to life then cutting open patients and fixing them. He listened to patients more, and he even struggled to be somewhat sensitive. Maybe it was time to invest time with others to realize the bonds of friendship. Maybe.

It might, possibly...it could be fun. Peter grimaced slightly at the thought. All right maybe it wouldn't be so bad. He wouldn't advertise the fact or anything. Carter's parents were too busy to appreciate their son, which was sad. Both of Benton's own parents were dead, and what he wouldn't give to have any of that time back. How could two people care so little about there son? Why did it take Carter's near death experience for Peter to realize he cared, or even have the desire to express the fact?

`Guilt, guilt never accomplished anything,' Peter thought. Words were never his strong point, but he would change that with action and practice. He would just start anew, nothing sweeping. He wasn't going to have a movie night or anything, but maybe he should start being involved in other interests beside his own. Maybe he could be a better friend. Peter smiled inwardly as he approached Carter's room.

"Dr. Benton," a nerve-grating voice stopped Peter.

Peter lowered his head in exasperation, wondering what he had done to deserve to be Rocket Romano's personal pet project of annoyance.

"Yeah, Robert?" Peter asked.

"Come on, we need to go downstairs to speak with a contact of mine in the D.A's office." Romano gestured for Peter to follow.

"Come on, we don't have all day, and Dr. Carter isn't going anywhere," Romano told the surgeon impatiently.

Grudgingly, Peter turned and followed his boss, pondering what the first step would be with his newfound outlook on his life.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Carter had enough sense to kick the recorder under the bed as Logan made a violent grab for it. Logan growled menacingly when the device disappeared beneath the gurney. His nostrils flaring and riding on a wave of pure rage, Logan grabbed Carter by his robe and shook him hard.

"You stupid son of a bitch!" Logan hissed into Carter's face and dug his thumb into the younger man's throat. He pressed hard on the windpipe, as Carter struggled to pry it off, as what little air he was able to take in was being cut off.

Logan continued to compress his throat, effectively dropping Carter to his knees, and watched as his left arm weakly lashed out.

Knowing he was suffocating, Carter balled his right fist, and with all his remaining strength, drove it into his assailant's groin. Logan screamed in pain as a piercing fire shot through him. Out of desperation, he fumbled with the oxygen line, snapping it off as he tumbled to the ground, bringing Carter crashing down on top of him.

Carter crumbled and landed painfully. His throat throbbed, his back seized into an uncontrollable spasm, he desperately gasped for breath, only able to inhale inadequate amounts of air. He cried out as he scrambled off of the man clutching at his groin in pain. Carter crawled agonizingly on the floor in search of his mask. He felt like he had been kicked in hard in the groin himself, and saw little droplets of blood on the floor; he had pulled the catheter out in the fall.

Logan, in obvious agony, pulled himself to his hands and knees and inched by the edge of the bed. He searched for the elusive tape recorder, and his fingers slipped around the device upon discovery.

Carter clutched at the head of the bed and tried to pull himself up, as Logan used the middle of the gurney and gingerly gathered himself into a standing position. Logan maintained a fierce grip on the tape recorder, and mercilessly brought it down on the younger doctor's skull, slamming the small device onto the side of Carter's head, cracking it in the process.

Carter felt the tape recorder smash over his head and a sharp pain rocketed through his skull. It toppled him onto the bed and he felt blood trickling down the side of his face. Carter saw Logan's hand out of the corner of his eye, ready to bring the broken device down on him once more. Unwilling to continue to be pummeled, Carter reached out towards the only object in reach, the IV pole. He twisted around excruciatingly, but with both hands slammed the metal rod over Logan's own head. The upper hooks of the IV stand connected squarely with Logan's forehead.

Logan collapsed to the ground, dropping the now-useless tape recorder. The force of the blow appeared to have knocked him out cold, and Carter collapsed to the floor in relief, his body unable to continue functioning with lack of oxygen. He lay helpless on the floor, fighting for air, his lungs still too injured to take in the adequate amounts. He was too weak, but thankfully unable to register all the pain he was feeling. Using his fingers, Carter unsuccessfully tried to drag himself over to where the oxygen mask lay, just out of reach. His hands shook and his chest burned, but he couldn't move across the floor fast enough.

He imagined himself as a fish out of water, gasping loudly, unable to breathe at all. The room began to spin and his head felt like it was about to explode. The last thing he heard clearly was a loud exclamation of a male voice, followed by a series of shouts.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Luka found every excuse in the book to wander over to Carter's room. He would stop momentarily and listen for any disturbances, shouts, alarms, anything. The same thing, silence, already greeted him. 'This was good,' he reasoned. It meant that there wasn't any trouble; there wasn't any need for concern. The doctor would stroll over to the nurse's station, casually inquiring about other patients and would happen to ask about Carter. He always got the same answer: he was doing fine, no new visitors, and then Luka would leave to cover the ER.

He was nervous, but Carter had insisted that he should avoid the area just in case he spooked Logan away or was spotted. Luka did not know what to worry about more, the possibility of Dr. Logan having made it over to County, or whether Peter Benton would figure out what was going on. In the latter case, Luka knew that both he and Carter would soon know the true definition of wrath. The Croatian knew that Carter was going to confront the Chief with his theories and evidence, in hopes of intimidating a confession, but he was still suspicious. The resident was keeping something from him, and now he was going out of his mind with worry and unease.

Luka had had it. Deciding it was time to check up on him, he spotted a fatigued Peter walking in his direction, his mind obviously elsewhere. He didn't notice him standing there.

"I was just heading over to his room," Luka stated to get the surgeon's attention.

Peter glanced over at him and walked with Luka towards their mutual destination. "Same here."

Luka thought it odd that he need not mention the patient's name in question, but was a bit reassured that the other doctor did not have the same demeanor towards him as he did earlier. Both men were nearing the room when they heard a crash and the sounds of a struggle.

As soon as it seemed that something very wrong was happening, Peter ran to the room and swung the door open violently. He didn't even pause, but barged into he room and yelled as he entered.

"Get security in here, now!" Peter screamed upon seeing two bodies on the floor. At first, Benton didn't know how to react, so he simply followed his instinct.

He ran over to Carter, who lay sprawled on the floor, his arm weakly reaching for something out of view. Peter checked to see that Luka Kovac was attending to the other man on the floor so he wouldn't have to worry about pounding the doctor. Peter noticed Carter's desperate gasps for air and the blood running down his face. He ran over to the head of the bed. He gently pulled Carter into a sitting position and leaned over to grab an additional line. He bent down and quickly placed the mask over Carter's face.

Carter drew in breath after shuddering breath, unable to control his rapid respirations. His body felt as if it could not inhale in the oxygen fast enough, causing him to cough violently.

Peter wrapped his left arm around John's shoulder. "Calm down, man, slow deep breaths," Benton encouraged him in hushed tones. "Don't hyperventilate." He wrapped his arm around Carter's shoulder, subconsciously encouraging the man to relax against him.

His body exhausted, Carter sagged onto Peter's side as he slowed his breathing down. He tried not to gulp down the oxygen as he battled the pain in his chest. His body did not react well to being deprived of air and then hyperventilation. He began to relax, and closed his eyes. Once his immediate concern had been attended to, his temple began to throb, a reminder of the violent blow it received.

Peter took his eyes off Carter for a second and observed Luka's ministrations of his friend's attacker. His anger was palpable as his mind flared with violent thoughts. When he first saw the blood on Carter's face, the rational, physician side of him that wanted to help his friend battled with his need to beat the hell out of Logan.

Luka glanced up at the surgeon. "He's semi-conscious, but his vitals are stable." The doctor pushed the IV stand away that lay strewn on the floor. "Looks like Carter hit him with the pole."

"Good," was Peter's only response.

Luka looked at him with surprise and slowly accepted the anger and hurt behind the words. Security quickly arrived with Mark Greene and Malik.

"What the hell happened?" Mark asked upon seeing both Dr. Logan and Carter visibly injured.

"I don't know, Mark, but we need you, please," Luka beseeched and moved around so that the doctor could help him lift Logan onto the stretcher.

Peter ignored Mark and Malik as they hurried in, and with the help of the guards, placed Logan on a backboard. The surgeon gently prodded the side of Carter's head to survey the extent of the gash and bleeding.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?" Peter asked his friend as he took his pulse along side Carter's neck.

Carter shook his head and grimaced as it aggravated his headache.

Peter watched as Malik, Greene, and Luka situated their new patient, and noticed that the man was waking up. Unable to contain his rage, he yelled. "You weren't satisfied at falsifying charts, so you came in here to finish the job?" Peter bellowed at Logan.

Logan held onto his head as spoke, ignoring the watchful eyes of two security officers. "This son of a bitch tried to threaten me and I defended myself against his attack."

"Yeah, Carter is real violent man," Mark replied sarcastically. "Luka, you want to take him? I think Dave is available for an assist."

"Dr. Greene," Luka said getting the senior doctor's attention.

Mark looked at him, and spotted the broken tape recorder on the floor. The attending bent down and retrieved the shattered device. He pried open the part that held tape in and a cassette fell out. Mark pondered the object, as it was clear it was still in perfect condition. He shared a meaningful glance with Luka, and eyed Carter with a curious stare.

The younger man looked back with a hint of a victorious expression, and gasped, "Proof," before he began another coughing fit.

Mark saw Benton's eyebrows rise in interest and he heard Logan start cussing away as he was hauled into the hallway. "That's my fucking tape, give it back!" Mark smiled when he heard the guards intervene to quiet the man down as he was taken away to be treated.

Mark cleared away the IV pole and spotted a small trickle of blood on the floor. He walked over to Peter and crouched down with the both of them. "Carter, do you know where this blood is from?"

Peter, who had been busy trying to console the young man, eyed the drops of blood with concern. "He should be moved and examined. He needs to be sutured and I want a CT of his head," Peter decided.

Mark peered down at Carter. "Are you experiencing any pain elsewhere?" Carter nodded in his response and Mark squeezed his hand. "All right we'll get you thoroughly checked out. Did he hit you anywhere else?" Mark asked trying to rule out injuries. Carter responded by shaking his head again.

"Okay, we need to move you to the bed, so I'm going to help you stand up. Now, I know you probably strained you back, so I'll be as gentle as possible," Mark explained.

"No, I want a backboard, I don't think it is a good idea to move him," Peter interjected.

Mark locked eyes with the surgeon and decided to overrule him. "Peter, we can look at him in here. I don't want to cause more drama by moving him back out into the ER where he might encounter a little more stress." Mark looked at Peter, hoping the man would understand that the last thing that Carter needed was to be the center of attention in this situation. They could use the bed in the room to wheel him to any tests, and Mark was pretty certain that Carter had been knocked around, but not seriously hurt.

Peter relented after a good deal of consideration. He didn't want to deal with the police, or Logan, or anybody at this point and time.

Mark took a few steps back, but remained close to assist the surgeon. Peter slowly stood, pulling Carter up from behind. He let the doctor lean against him and supported him from underneath his arms. Slowly he helped him walk a few steps to the bed where he was lowered down again. Peter spotted a few traces of blood staining his sweatpants and concluded that his catheter had been pulled out in the struggle. Once he was settled down, Mark did a cursory examination. He used his penlight and observed Carter's pupils, while Peter hooked up a blood pressure cuff.

"Heart rate and BP are normal," Peter announced.

Carter lay quietly as both doctors prodded him and continued to ask yes and no questions. Malik had wandered in as a crowd gathered at the door. The male nurse scattered the worried staff after receiving "the stare" from both doctors. Peter had placed a bandage on the side of Carter's head and was applying pressure to it.

"All right, let's get him prepped for a head CT, and I want to make sure nothing happened as a result of the dramatic foley removal. Then, after the tests, I'll suture him," Peter informed Malik. Peter peered down at his patient, who had remained silent during both doctor's ministrations.

"Then, Carter, I want you to tell me what the hell happened and how the hell you got a hold of a cassette recorder." There was no room for argument in that tone.

Carter actually felt bad enough to look a bit sheepish at the disapproving look he was receiving from both co-workers. He pulled out a cell phone and handed it to Mark, and shrugged when the attending gave him a curious stare.

"I don't even want to know," Mark said as Peter sighed heavily.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes) 

Mark shared a glance with Peter and indicated that the matter should be discussed later. The attending watched Peter's lips twitch, but he silently agreed. Mark shoved the cell phone into his lab coat and glanced behind him, seeing that the crowd at the door had left, at least for now. Malik was still standing in the room just in case he was needed, and probably in order to get first hand information to relay to the rest of the staff.

Peter continued his examination of Carter, prodding for any hidden injuries by testing for tenderness along Carter's abdomen and side. He didn't want to be persuaded by Carter's insistence that he wasn't punched in the stomach or kicked when he was on the floor. It would be just like the younger doctor to continue to shy away or be less than specific when it came to his own discomfort.

As he felt along Carter's ribcage, he noticed how unaffected the man was to his probing. "Carter, man, I know you'll give me this silent stuff until you explain to me this little incident, but I need you to let me know if there is any pain."

Upon receiving no response, Peter shook Carter's shoulder lightly. "Carter." After several more seconds of silence, Peter tensed, and called his name louder as Mark took out his penlight again.

"Carter...Carter!" Peter's voice grew louder in worry rose half an octave, as his friend remained motionless on the bed.

Malik rushed to the gurney as he realized something wasn't right. He had remained at a discreet distance, but was alarmed by the sudden activity. Or Carter's lack of it. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Sudden loss of consciousness," was Benton's frantic reply.

Peter lowered the bedrail to gain easier access and felt for a pulse. "Pulse has increased...it's 110, from 90 just a few minutes ago." Peter grabbed the blood pressure cuff from the table behind him, where he had discarded it seemingly moments ago.

Mark lifted each of Carter's eyelids, shining the light into each. "Pupils are unequal, but reactive." Mark said, keeping his voice calm for the benefit of the other doctor.

"You want me to call for more help?" Malik asked nervously.

Peter fastened the blood pressure cuff around Carter's limp arm. "No, just make sure you get a room set up for a head CT, now!" Peter shouted, startling the nurse as he ran out.

"He was just fine a minute ago," Peter mumbled to himself. "BP is 140/110." Peter quickly released the cuff. "I want to elevate him to reduce any potential swelling, can you grab some pillows?"

Mark nodded, and gathered two pillows from the nearby closet and brought them over to the bed. Peter placed one hand under Carter's head and the other behind his neck, carefully lifted him up. Mark slid one pillow beneath the man's shoulders and one underneath his head.

"I want an MRI as well," Peter spoke, and locked a gaze with another worried set of eyes.

"We'll do everything thoroughly, Peter," Mark told him.

"He could be hemorrhaging, or have a clot or--" Peter was cut off by a the sudden placement of a hand on his shoulder.

"Peter, look at me," Mark commanded, his hand remaining in contact.

Benton glanced up, but could not help but gaze back down at the unconscious figure in front of him. After a moment, he stared up at Mark.

"He probably has a concussion, but we will rule out anything else," Mark told him pointedly. Any confidence he could relay to Benton at this point would be desperately needed. "I hate to tell you this, Peter, but you are still covering the ER. Why don't you go check on things down there, and you can view the test results when I get them back."

"I'll walk with you there and check the board," Peter answered gruffly, obviously reluctant to leave.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Luka Kovac was sitting in the lounge in the darkest corner he could find. It had taken every reasonable and rational bone in his body to properly treat Logan for his head injury. Dave had been helpful, but even the young resident could not control his distaste for whom they were helping. After surveying and assisting in the examination, Luka left when Kerry came in to finish with the sutures.

He had been panicked when he entered the room, discovering that sonofabitch had attacked Carter, and he could not help but feel responsible for anything that happened to the young man. Luka knew that brooding was not going to do anyone any good, so he sucked in a deep breath and headed back out to confess his role in Carter's scheme. He wanted to let everyone know, so they would not bother Carter about it. Luka just wanted the resident to recover in peace, without any additional stress caused by having to explain his actions to the staff, and namely, to Peter Benton.

Luka was making his way back when he saw Peter storming into the admit area. Luka noticed how much the staff kept their distance from the surgeon, and Malik had a rather "deer caught in the headlights" expression on his face. The Croatian crept over to the male nurse and asked him in a hushed tone, "Is there something else wrong?"

Malik watched Peter erase several names off the board and turned to respond, keeping his voice low. "Dr. Carter might have a head injury. He lost consciousness a few minutes after you left. Dr. Greene felt it was better for Dr. Benton to cover the ER until the tests came back."

Luka closed his eyes in despair. He rubbed at his temples, as the migraine he felt coming on took over his head in full force. As he was massaging his aching head, he heard a commotion and opened his eyes to see Peter staring at him. Upset was not the word to describe the other man's demeanor. It was more like a volcano waiting to explode.

Peter pointed his finger at Luka's chest and spoke, barely keeping the animosity from his voice. "I told you I wanted him to remain in the ICU under close supervision. That is the last time I let you persuade me or I let you question my decisions." Peter bit his lip to keep from continuing, and slammed one of the charts in his hand onto the. "I have no more patients here. Page me if I'm needed," Peter spoke to Randi, ignoring Luka, and stormed away.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Peter stepped slowly into the room, making sure he was quiet and unobtrusive. He surveyed the scene before him, his conscious weighing heavier then it had a few hours before. Logan was not seriously hurt, and was immediately transferred to the local jail. He had an appointment with the D.A, who had still been in the hospital at the time. Peter was on his way back to Carter's room when Mark found him and thought he should listen to the tape left in the recorder before handing it over to the police. They went to the lounge where Mark inserted the tape in a waiting cassette player.

Benton listened to the conversation with a vacant stare, while his imagination took over his mind. At first he was slightly proud when he heard the younger man ask some very interesting questions, obviously piecing together parts of a puzzle that others had not considered. As he heard these little tidbits of information, it occurred to him what exactly Carter was hoping to accomplish.

So, he figured out some things. Why didn't he point these out to detectives who did not know anything about medicine or hospital policy? As the semi-interrogation continued, he could hear the difficulty that his friend was having and the toll such confirmation was exacting on his health. Then the questioning transformed to taunting and the mental game that Carter was waging, ever so slowly trying to rattle the other man. Carter was trying to piss off the quick-to-anger bastard, and it was working. Then he did it; Logan confessed, and all hell broke loose. It was hard to tell, but a violent struggle apparently broke out, and the result almost had almost exacted terrible price on them all.

Having heard more than enough, Benton retreated to the ICU. Carter was back on that floor at his insistence. Peter gazed at the monitors connected to Carter, hoping for some improvement.

The surgeon heard the door open, and Romano walked in ever so quietly, his expression somber and his voice surprisingly sympathetic. "We should be getting the test results in a few minutes."

Peter simply nodded.

Romano stood near the edge of the bed, at a loss of what to do or to say to the other doctor. "What are his vitals?" Romano rolled his eyes at such a horrible attempt at conversation, but realized that Peter was too tired to even recognize the lame attempt at small talk.

"His temp has increased to 100.2, his BP and heart rate have increased also." Peter paused to rub at his chin and continued in a mechanical tone of voice. "He can't have any stimulants, so we were forced to take him off the steroids for his lungs, which only serves to complicate his recovery. Mark said he woke up once for a few minutes during his MRI, but he lost consciousness again. When he wakes up he will not be given any sedatives, so that means he'll be in pain from his strained back and they'll be nothing that can be done about it."

Romano was not the consoling type, so he had nothing to add to Peter's disparaging words. All in all, the young man was not in critical shape but Robert knew that Peter was upset because of his inability to keep what he feared from happening, so he remained silent, knowing that platitudes would only come across as insulting. Carter was hooked up to an oxygen mask, his face looked slightly flushed, but these were typical symptoms from a blow to the head. Robert heard the door squeak and saw Mark Greene standing on the outskirts of the room with test films in his hand. Not wanting to be left out, Robert told himself to screw the rules and signaled for the attending to come in.

Mark had already viewed the tests and had consulted others concerning the results. He was prepared for doubts and second opinions, but agreed with the diagnosis. "His head CT did reveal a small clot and some cerebral irritation, but the head of Neuro is very confident that is will resolve itself. It's very small and there is no need for surgery," Mark added while he handing the films to Peter, knowing the man would not be satisfied until he reviewed them himself.

"Well that's good enough for me, keep me posted. I'm going down to the station to make sure our interests are being looked after correctly this time. Despite what happened, I have to say I'm a bit surprised at our dear Dr. Carter's inventiveness for pursuing his own cause. I wouldn't put it past him to have a secret decoder ring hidden somewhere." Romano looked around and noticed that his co- workers didn't appreciate his sense of humor, so he grunted and made his way out of the room.

Mark gave the retreating Chief a perplexed look, and noted how unamused his colleague was. Mark shook his head and began to reason with the unhappy surgeon the brighter outlook of things. "Peter, he doesn't have a skull fracture or--"

"I know all the pros and cons of this diagnosis, Mark," Peter interrupted him.

While the two doctors continued to debate the issue, they did not notice the patient in question slowly coming around. Carter opened his eyes and squinted from the low amount of light in the room. His head pounded, and it felt like his skull was on fire from the inside. He weakly felt the side of his skull, noticing a new row of neatly sewn stitches beneath his fingertips. Touching the area where he was clobbered only sent new sensations of pain through his head and waves of nausea through his stomach.

He shifted unsuccessfully in the bed, catching the attention of the bickering doctors in the room. Both Mark and Peter leaned over him, causing him to feel somewhat smothered. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to disengage the feeling of being suddenly claustrophobic. His stomached churned and all the punishment his body had endured the past few days assaulted him all at once with a million dull aches and sharp pains.

Peter took out a penlight and tested Carter's pupils, receiving a sharp intake of breath in response that only caused his patient to cough violently. The surgeon looked on helplessly as his friend tried to control the coughing while struggling with his intake of oxygen. After the fit had subsided, Peter observed Carter cradle his head.

"You need to lay still and quietly. That means no getting up, no moving around, and no physical activity of any kind," Peter grilled Carter with an expression that meant his orders would be followed to the letter.

For his part, Carter silently accepted the Benton doctrine and grimaced, as the pain in his head only seemed to increase every minute he was awake. He felt restless and was sweating, which only served to make feel even more miserable. "Its hot in here." he said under the mask, his voice conveying his exhaustion.

"You shouldn't talk, Carter." Mark advised him.

"You have a fever, from what I can not determine. It could be from a possible infection from the dramatic foley removal, or from your injured lungs, or from the concussion..." Peter's voice was getting louder and louder from the fear and anger he had been feeling.

"I'm sorry," Carter said weakly.

"Back off, Peter," Mark warned him by placing his hand on the surgeon's shoulder.

Peter bowed his head in remorse. He didn't want to upset John, he just had to vent his feelings at someone. Carter had placed his life in danger to coax a confession out of a violent man, and he had done it with some kind of help. Patience was not one of his strong suits, and he did not know whether he had should wait for Carter to inform him about what transpired earlier in the day.

Carter wet his dry lips under the mask and grimaced again at feelings of lightheadedness. Before he had a chance to inquire about the specifics of his injury, his stomach finally rebelled against him. "I'm going to be sick," he managed to say.

Peter quickly snatched an emesis bowl and held it under John's mouth, while placing a hand under his head. Mark removed the oxygen mask and both men were situated to help as Carter retched in the bowl, but he ended up only coughing up bile since he had been off solid food for days now. His stomach muscles screamed and his chest burned, as he was sick for what seemed like hours. When the nausea pasted, he was gently placed back against his pillow.

Peter thought his friend looked awful, his face was flushed, and he was developing dark circles under his eyes. Mark left and returned with a wet washcloth, which he handed to the surgeon. Peter placed the moist cloth against John's forehead and bathed his neck. Peter clenched his teeth when he noted the bruising around Carter's windpipe, but kept himself from asking the man if toying with Logan was worth being nearly strangled.

Peter placed the washcloth on the table, and rested his hand on the bed, leaning his head against it. Carter had fallen asleep. If Peter could not control that Carter's nausea, then his patient would be in danger of further weakening and dehydration. He would make sure that his antibiotics were monitored closely, and he would give him Compazine. Peter felt a bit flustered after momentarily forgetting he was not alone in the room. Slowly he stood up and took the films with him.

Both men left the room in silence, not knowing what to say to each other. Peter wanted to make damn sure that there would be no other mistakes made regarding Carter's health. He would consult with the head of neurology about the clots and confirm that the medical course of treatment was the safest and most effective. Benton leaned against the wall of the hallway, pondering on how he could determine who Carter's helper had been in all of the recent madness. It had to be someone he could convince or bribe. It could have been a member of the nursing staff, Carter could have just ordered them around, or even paid off in order to get the recorder and phone.

Mark watched his co-worker's expression transform with each flickering thought. He was at a loss as to how their patient could have gotten a hold of things so easily. `Didn't whoever Carter conned into helping him know the extent of the danger they were placing the younger man in?' Mark wondered.

The ringing of a phone interrupted his random musing. Startled, Mark looked over at Peter who was staring back at him.

It took a moment before Mark realized the ringing was coming from the cell phone in his lab coat. He pulled it out cautiously, as if it were a ticking bomb. He hit the talk key and spoke into it. "Hello?"

Peter watched intently as Mark talked to the person on the only line. The attending's eyes widened during the caller's portion of the conversation.

"No, this is not he," Mark replied, his face taking on a shade of red.

"Yes, I'll be sure to tell him you called." Mark punched the end button on the phone and placed it back in his lab coat. He looked up at Peter, his expression dumbfounded.

Peter turned and squared his shoulders in order to look as intimidating as possible. "So, who the hell does the phone belong to?" he demanded.

"Peter, I want you to calm down," Mark asked.

"Just tell me who they were asking for, Mark," Peter insisted impatiently.

Mark looked down at the floor and answered, "Luka Kovac."

Peter grabbed Mark's lab coat pocket and pulled out the incriminating cell phone. "I'll kill him," he said, and violently brushed past Mark on his was to the admitting area.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)