Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Missing In Action
Part Five
By Aeris Jade
aerisjade@worldnet.att.net

Part: 6/?
Rating: R
Beta Reader: Scotty Welles
Pairing: KW, KL, JC, PB, Ensemble

Disclaimer: Isn't it Ironic? Don't you think.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Robert stared at Elizabeth's door, feeling out of his depth for once. He shouldn't have come, he didn't belong here. He was the outsider, the one everyone hated. Even Kerry, who could be cruel in her own right, was at least respected.

I should just leave, now, before someone answers the door. Robert nervously turned and started towards the elevator.

"Robert?"

'Damn. I've been busted.' He spun around and forced a large smile, quickly closing the distance. "I was just starting to think I was given the wrong information."

"What are you doing here?" Elizabeth made no move to let him in, in fact she seemed to shift further over blocking the door as what he said registered in her mind. "What information?"

"The wake." He couldn't help but feel a little angry when Elizabeth got a confused expression on her face. "You are having a wake tonight, aren't you?"

Elizabeth eyed the brown paper bag in his arms. "Yes, of course. What I meant was..." She paused a moment before deciding he didn't have any feelings to hurt. "You're an unfeeling, inconsiderate, male chauvinist bastard. So what are you getting out of this?"

"Look, are you going to let me in or not?" Robert glared at her until she'd reluctantly moved out of his way. He knew he deserved that, it was the truth most of the time, but not always. Not now.

He brushed past her, ignoring the fact that everyone stopped talking to stare at him. 'Great. I try to show some ounce of feeling for one time in my life, and everyone gets freaked out.' Robert sat the bag on the nearby table, "I have beer and wine," he stated.  "Figure you can't have too much at a time like this."

There was no response as he glanced around the solemn room. No one was making any attempt to at least pretend he was welcome there. Elizabeth still had the door open and was waiting for him to leave.

"What kind of beer?"

Robert blinked as his redemption came from an unexpected source. Doug Ross gave him a small grin and opened the bag, taking out two beers and handing one to him. The others seemed to relax and started to quietly talk again.

"Thanks."

Doug nodded in thought. "They reacted the same way when I showed up earlier. They thought, because Kerry and I were always fighting, that I couldn't possibly care about her." He stared down at the bottle of beer for a long moment. "The truth is, I'm going to miss her."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"Well?"

"She's arrived fifteen minutes ago."

"Is she alone?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Then take care of it."

"Yes, sir."

"Oh, and Boyd? This time, no mistakes."

Boyd shut the cell phone, trying to keep his temper in check. He wasn't the one who'd messed up. It was the paper-pusher that messed up. Not that it mattered, or at least it wouldn't in about five minutes.

"I've got a shot," said Ryan's flat voice beside him.  As always, Ryan showed no sign of emotion.

Boyd scanned the ground where his assistant lay with the sniper rifle. If he told Ryan to take the shot, then it would be over and She'd be out of his way. But then there'd be no trial, no sentence, no execution.

No fun.

"No, I'll take care of her myself."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

She could hear someone approaching. Each step was well thought-out and quiet. Avoiding any twigs or leaves that might give away his presence. Anyone else might not have known that he was out there, anyone but her.

He'd kept her waiting a good twenty minutes already, and she was starting to get nervous. She was married to him, and knew all his little quirks. Including how he liked to psych out his prey. One of which was keeping them waiting.

"I didn't make you wait too long, did I?"

Kerry carefully glanced over at Boyd. "No. I just got here." It was a necessary lie. If she didn't give him the impression that she was unconcerned then he'd know he was in control over her.

"That's good to hear." His hand brushed against the gun holstered to his right thigh. "How was your flight out here?"

"It was... interesting. There were even two handsome men on board."

Boyd's hand came to a light rest on the gun. "Really?"

"In fact you could say they were drop-dead gorgeous." Kerry watched his hand flinch on the gun's grip. 'Bingo.' "They even had tattoos."

Boyd dropped the charming mask and pulled his gun out. Feeling the weight in his hand, taking comfort from the stinging calm against his bare palm. "You should have accepted your sentence like a good girl. Instead you've only made things worse."

"Boyd, since when have you ever known me to just accept anything?" she sneered.  "I didn't accept your mysterious activities when we were married either, remember?  All those times you told me you were out bowling, or drinking with the boys, and you were out plotting to kill or terrorize people?"

Boyd pursed his lips together giving her a frightening smile of amusement. "Yes. I can see your point. After bearing witness to all the evidence presented to the court I have made my decision." He raised the gun, pointing it towards her heart. "I find you guilty, and I sentence you to death. The sentence is to be carried out immediately." He cocked his head to the side, his unnaturally black eyes drilling into hers. "Any last requests?"

Kerry's eyes narrowed.  He wasn't even pretending anymore, was he?  Not bothering to show any trace of the charming side he'd displayed when they dated.  Even after they were wed, that side made occasional appearances, but now he had nothing but contempt and disdain for her.

No, she realized, he felt something more.  A hatred for her so intense that he'd go to great lengths to arrange her death.  But why now? After all these years apart, why contact her now?

"Who was it?" she asked him.  "The mole in the Agency?"

He smirked.  "Senator Jefferson," he replied casually, and raised the gun.  "And if that was the question uppermost on your mind, then I guess our marriage really is over, isn't it?"

Kerry tensed as the gunshot rang out...

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kim's head shot up as she heard the first gunshot...followed by a second and a third. Her adrenaline pushed her faster and faster as she raced up the trail. Slamming through bushes and trees, her only concern was Kerry.

The old Mountie cabin seemed to come out of nowhere as she entered the small clearing. She tensed as she saw Boyd lying in a puddle of blood. His hand clenching to a gun as though it was his very soul.

She brought her eyes to rest on Kerry, who was staring out into the forest at a tightly bunched group of trees. She stopped next to her and watched curiously as a tall, broad-shouldered man stood up. A long rifle was in his hands. He locked eyes with Kerry for a long minute, nodding once, then turning and running deeper into the woods.

Kim wasn't sure what had just happened, but then again nothing on this trip could be classified as normal.

"Kim..." Kerry was wincing openly as her left leg seemed to become dead weight. Risking bodily harm, Kim put her arm around her waist, acting as a second crutch for her friend.

Kerry shifted, putting her arm around Kim and throwing her a grateful look. She hated to be helped, hated to depend on anyone, but then again the idea of falling on her face was even more terrifying.

The simple fact was that she'd made a conscious decision to ignore her leg. The minute she'd jumped out of that plane, she knew she wasn't able to walk on it, but she had no choice. Just like she didn't have a choice when she agreed to meet Boyd, but now she could afford to give
in to her body's weaknesses.

She let Kim to guide her towards the car, her steps a slow, painful lurch. Each step was agony for her. 'Where the hell is Robie when I need him?'

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"What the hell were you thinking?!"

Kim raised an eyebrow at Carter, struggling not to laugh. Once they got into the air, the young man had yanked her into the bathroom and exploded. His face was red and taut; if that wasn't bad enough, his body was shaking with anger. Not that she thought that sort of thing was funny, it was just seeing someone who's usually so tame like this. "Me? Robie was the one who was driving."

"You could have done something. Kerry has had a hard three days, the last thing she needed was to be dragged into a...a..."

Kim crossed her arms lazily and offered. "...a dangerous, unpredictable situation."

"...she could have been hurt or...or..."

Kim covered her mouth as Carter started to sputter. "...killed?" The snicker escaped before she could stop it, and she tried she really did.

"Do you think this is funny?" Carter asked sharply.

"John, nobody makes her do anything she doesn't want to." Kim softened under his angry gaze. "I'm sure Kerry appreciates your concern, but it was her choice, and right now the last thing she needs is for us to be arguing. Or have you forgotten that, as long as the senator is around, her life's in danger?"

Kim left the bathroom and sat next to Kerry. They hadn't gotten a chance to talk about the kiss they'd shared. All day, Kerry's behavior toward her had been strained and awkward, but there was a definite undercurrent.

"What did John want?"

"He wanted to debate the pro's and con's of life and death decisions in the face of adversity."

Kerry laughed softly and brushed Kim's hand nervously. "So, basically, he was angry over my little stunt."

Kim chuckled with her. She wondered how Kerry would react to her holding her hand, and if it was worth risking death. The confused, happy glint in Kerry's grey eyes took her breath away. 'Yes it's worth it.'

She gently took Kerry's hand, letting her fingers play with the soft skin. Kerry's hand tightened suddenly and jerked away.

"Ow. Damn it." Kerry grabbed her thigh and started to work the muscles, trying desperately to loosen them.

"Is it your leg?" Kim moved to kneel in front of Kerry and laid her hands over Kerry's, softly rubbing each knot as she encountered them.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John stared numbly at Kim kneeling in front of Kerry, her hands on her upper thigh. They were talking softly just low enough that he couldn't hear them. Kerry was looking increasingly anxious.

Kim started to pull her hands away, stopping as Kerry grabbed them. Kerry took a shaky breath, then slowly leaned in and kissed her.

John backed away until his legs hit something soft. His knees collapsed and he found himself seated. His hand latched onto the armrest as the kiss became more intense. He closed his eyes against the scene, but he could still see behind his eyes.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Aeris Jade Orion
AIM: Aeris Jade
ICQ: 51496263
AT&T/Pow-Wow: Jade
Pow-Wow Community: Orion

Web Site: http://www.geocities.com/aeris3996

" This act hasn't been seen in 20 years,
and if i'm any judge of talent it will never
be seen again."
 - Theres no business, like show business