Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Every Once In A While
Part Four
By Aeris Jade Orion
aerisjade@worldnet.att.net

Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Weaver, Legaspi, Randi, Doyle, Ensemble
Beta Reader: Scotty Worf Welles
Spoilers: Yep, yep, and yep
Disclaimer: Not mine, theirs.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)
24 Hours Later
bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

For the first time in days Kerry was relaxed, as she sat across from her old college roommate. Dr. J.D. Anderson was slightly grayed on the sides, but otherwise she was still the same. Bright gold hair that seemed to simmer under the sun's gaze. Deep green eyes that reminded her of the rolling hills in Ireland. Her body was even curvier than she remembered. The gentle slope of her chest barely visible under the professional black skirt suit she wore. Even her hips seemed to be rounder and fuller under the ankle-length skirt hugging her body, the slit along the side falling open to give her a disturbingly good idea of what was underneath.

Not that she really needed the idea. She still recalled the image of Jamie as she would dress in front of her every morning, without caring just how much Kerry saw. Between that and the frequent showers that she'd take, using nothing but a skimpy towel to get from the dorm shower to their room, Kerry knew exactly what lay beneath.

Her tongue darted out to wet her suddenly parched lips, and she tried to focus on what Jamie was saying.

"...you would have a 10 percent salary increase, and we'll match any benefits that County has given you." Jamie leaned forward, her low cut shirt pulling tautly across her chest, letting her cleavage show. "You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to working with you."

Kerry smiled, trying desperately to keep her eyes on her face. "I haven't decided to take it, yet."

"Nevertheless...I know you, Kerry, and you wouldn't be here if you didn't intend to take us up on the offer." Jaime walked around her desk and perched on the corner, letting her leg brush up against hers. "I was hoping we could have dinner together tonight. Catch up on old times..."

Kerry found her eyes wandering on their own volition, her mind not far behind. "I'd like that."

Jamie's smile seemed seductive as she walked her to her office door. Nodding once at Randi as she noticed them. Jamie took Kerry's hand, letting her thumb brush over the skin.

Kerry found herself getting lost in her impossibly green eyes, her own thumb massaging the silky skin under it. She was starting to think that maybe her moving wasn't such a bad idea after all.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"A date...? You just got into town and already you're going on a date?!"

Kerry rolled her eyes as the desk clerk turned an interesting shade of purple. "It's not a date. We're just old friends trying to catch up."

"Yeah, I know what she's hoping to catch..."

She let out a sigh of exasperation. "Not that it's any of your business, but Jamie's married. I attended her wedding. And even if she was gay and available, I'm not looking for..."

"Oh, please, I saw how you two were looking at each other!"

Kerry stopped walking. "What's that supposed to mean?" she asked icily.

"I could practically smell the hormones between you. God, you're just about as bad as Malucci!"

She narrowed her eyes at Randi, silently daring her to keep going with that line of thought. "That," she said slowly, "was completely uncalled-for."

"You're right," Randi snarled. "It's not fair to insult Malucci just because he's horny. But at least he knows what he wants and he's cool with it. You can't even admit you're turned on by a woman!"

"Randi, I've put up with your insipid commentary on my personal life so far, but you're on the verge..."

"This is exactly what you said happened with Legaspi," Randi insisted. "You've run all the way across the country so you wouldn't have to deal with the mistakes you made with her, and you're gonna make all the same mistakes with this woman, too!"

The knuckles on her crutch's grip were white and trembling. "Randi..."

"And all because you're afraid of what people might think." Randi shook her head in disgust. "No wonder Legaspi dumped you."

Kerry's free hand caught her across the mouth.

Randi gasped in shock, a shaky statement on her face. Kerry took a step toward her, causing the desk clerk to take a nervous step back, her face stinging from the slap. She was an able-bodied street fighter, and she was certain she could take Kerry Weaver easily enough on a normal day. But the look of quiet fury in Kerry's eyes had her scared. Oh, this time she was going to pay.

With effort, Kerry got hold of herself and allowed a humorless smile to ghost across her face. All she said before turning away was, "Go home, Randi."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"Doctor Doyle," her old nemesis drawled, pronouncing each syllable deliberately. "It's been too long since we lost the pleasure of your company."

"Since I quit, you mean?" Maggie replied easily. "And the pleasure was all yours."

Robert Romano smiled, snakelike. "I expected we'd see you again, but I thought it would be asking for your job back. Not hanging around playing Nancy Drew."

"I've got a job, thanks. And Nancy Drew's not my style. I'm more the Gina Gershon type."

He was obviously getting bored with the banter. "And just who, may I ask, gave you permission to go gallivanting around my ER?"

Maggie fought back the smirk that was dying to get out. The pompous, arrogant bastard was about to get a surprise that he would not forget. "Dr. Weaver. You know, the one you appointed Chief of that same ER? The one who you're on the verge of losing, according to my sources."

The bald man's face lost all of its good humor. "Losing?"

"Right. Maybe what I've found out can help prevent that, but maybe not. That's kind of up to her."

Romano narrowed his eyes as he studied her carefully. Behind his carefully guarded expression, Maggie imagined him weighing pros and cons, trying to decide what he'd do without Kerry Weaver to handle the messy chores of running the ER for him. Subtly, he became almost cheerful. "I see." He sat down and glanced at her expectedly. "So, what exactly have you found out?"

Maggie allowed the smirk to surface as she settled back. She'd just hit a hole in one.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry sighed in contentment, pushing aside the last of her cheesecake. "That was delicious, thank you," she said.

"I wish I could claim credit for it," Jamie replied. "But it's from a little shop I know."

"You'll have to tell me which one," Kerry smiled. "I may become a regular patron."

Jamie shook her head. "Only if you're prepared to kiss that slim figure of yours goodbye."

"You don't seem to have lost yours," Kerry countered with a laugh. "God, Jamie, it's good to see you again. There was a long period after my divorce when I didn't have any real friends."

"Not even that attractive young woman who was with you earlier?"

"Randi? No, she's not exactly a friend...just someone I work with."

"In Chicago?"

"Yes, she talked me into letting her come along for the ride..."

"I see." Jamie refilled the wineglasses. "She seemed upset that you were having dinner with me, and I thought...perhaps you and she..."

"No, no, she's straight," Kerry hastened to interject. "I mean, there's nothing going on between us..."

Jamie said nothing, but smiled quietly.

Kerry found herself slightly uncomfortable in the silence, and looked around the apartment. It was softly lit and well-decorated, much like her own house. Jamie's love of art was still evident, but she'd obviously matured in her tastes since her trendy-teen days. The stereo was on, playing a soft concerto. It hadn't taken her long to realize that Jamie lived here alone. "How long have you and Simon been separated?"

"Almost three years," Jamie said. "The kids live with him. With his hours, compared to mine, it's easier on them."

"I'm sorry," Kerry said.

"Thank you, but don't be. It was a mutual decision on everyone's part." Jamie smiled calmly. "Our marriage had run its course, and we both knew it was over."

Kerry nodded. "Was there someone else?"

"Oh, there were other women here and there, but we were both all right with that. It's not why we broke up. We still love each other, we're just not in love anymore."

Kerry sipped her wine and remembered how certain Simon and Jamie had seemed as they exchanged vows. And Simon had never struck her as the sort to cheat on her...

"My turn, Kerry. Can I ask you a question?"

"You just did."

Jamie raised an eyebrow and plowed on. "What changed your mind about the job?"

Kerry lowered her wineglass, trying to buy some time. "I didn't change my mind," she hedged. "I just made it up. Like I said, I hadn't decided yet. Now I have."

"You're as good at avoiding the point as ever, I see." Jamie leaned forward. "Okay, let me put it another way. What made you choose to leave County?"

Kerry had forgotten how hard it was to keep things secret from her old friend. She was worried about how Jamie would take finding out that she was gay, how the administrator in her would take to finding out she was run...she was leaving over a woman.

"Kerry?"

Kerry glanced up into those warm emerald eyes and melted. J.D. was a close friend, had been for some time. Administrator or not, she deserved the truth.

"It's a long story."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kim frowned as the doorbell rang. She'd been expecting Kerry to show up and ask to talk, but other than the note she'd left in her mailbox, she hadn't tried to contact her. She had a feeling that that was about to end.

Steeling herself to deal with her redheaded ex, she opened the door, and her heart dropped at the sight of Maggie. She cursed herself for feeling this way, for wanting Kerry to be standing there instead. She had no idea when she'd decided she wanted to forgive her lover, but she had.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure, of course." Kim moved to the side and allowed her to enter.

The dark-haired doctor followed her into the living room, not bothering to suppress the triumphant smirk. "I thought you'd want to know that the investigation and your suspension has been dropped."

Kim's jaw dropped in surprise. "How...?"

Maggie's smile got even wider. "Turns out this isn't the first time Miss Wallace has pressed sexual harassment charges against a
psychiatrist. Plus we managed to get hold of a security tape, showing Conni listening to the whole thing."

"Then I've been cleared," Kim muttered in relief. For the first time that week she felt the pain begin to lift, if only a little.

Maggie had been hoping for a happier reaction, but she could understand how drained the situation left Kim feeling. "I should get going. I'll let myself out..."

Kim ignored her as her knees gave out.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Jamie blinked, once, twice and three times, her entire face was slack with shock. Even her normally dark emerald eyes seemed to have darkened a few shades. Kerry swallowed as she came to the conclusion that she'd misjudged her friend after all.

"So...you still have feelings for this woman," Jamie said slowly, "but you couldn't stand by her when she needed you?"

Kerry nodded, her lips tight.

"Because of what people would think?" The blonde woman shook her head.  "Honey, the Robert Romanos of this world come and go. Don't let them take you with them."

Kerry pushed back her chair from the table, stretching her leg out. "Jamie, I don't think you appreciate the effect it would have on my authority if everyone knew that...that I..." Her voice broke off, unable to form the words.

Jamie laughed musically. "Oh, Kerry, you haven't changed a bit," she said, moving her own chair around so she could take Kerry's hand. "You're the most rational, mature woman I know one minute, and then a frightened child the next. You can analyze situations and make decisions under conditions that would have most people scared stiff, and yet you're willing to throw away everything you've gained in your life rather than risk being called a dyke?"

She looked away. "Don't say that. I hate that word."

"So do I, Kerry, but it's just a word. It's sound waves on air."

"Jamie, that's easy for you to say..." Kerry began.

"Yes, it is," her friend interrupted her. "I've heard it plenty of times. Everyone knows about me, Kerry, and nobody cares. Well, nobody I care about, anyway."

Kerry looked into her friend's eyes in surprise. "Knows...what?"

Again she felt the warm softness of Jamie's fingers against her own. "Kerry, those other women I mentioned earlier? They weren't Simon's. They were mine."

"You...?"

"He knew, and he understood. I loved him most of all, for a time, but I've always had needs he couldn't satisfy."

Kerry found herself at a loss for words. Randi was right; this was exactly what had happened with Kim. Dinner with a friend, the revelation of unexpected desire, confusion...

Jamie's face was bright with amusement. "All that time I spent fantasizing about you in med school, and you didn't even know you were gay."

Kerry felt her jaw drop. "You were fantasizing about me...?"

Jamie threw her head back, flipping her hair back, as she let out a laugh. "I had this horrid crush on you. I thought you were the greatest thing to come along since computers were invented." She brushed a strand of hair off of Kerry's forehead.

Kerry felt her face warm up under the blonde's intense gaze. She sat back, slipping her hands out of Jamie's. "Why...why didn't you tell me?"

"For a long time, I thought it was just a sisterly thing, until after graduation, and by then I was married." Her smile turned sad. "I thought you just weren't interested. Or maybe I wasn't ready."

Kerry thought of all the time she'd wasted before returning Kim's affections. "Maybe...maybe I'm the one who wasn't ready," she whispered.

Jamie's eyes focused, showing she knew what Kerry meant better than Kerry did. Moving slowly, she stood up, and offered her hand to Kerry.  "Are you ready now?"

Kerry looked at her intently, then took the hand and stood, leaving the crutch where it was, leaning against the table. She took Jamie's other hand in hers, and closed the distance between them.

Their lips drifted closer, until she shivered as they brushed together.  The question in her mind was answered, and she pressed her body closer to Jamie's, wanting more, needing more. If there had been any doubt in her mind about her sexuality, there wasn't one now.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Randi climbed out of the taxi, cursing Kerry. She honestly thought that the redhead was just blowing hot air to keep her in line on the trip, but it was obvious that Randi had crossed the line. The look of death on Kerry's face had petrified her. The worst of it had been the utter silence of the older woman as she'd simply climbed into the driver's seat of the car and driven off without her.

The guilt was just as bad. Of course, she'd realized her mistake the minute she'd compared her to Malucci. She hadn't meant to say it, she didn't even believe it. But she was just getting so frustrated with the intractable ER Chief. If Chief she still was.

It was so easy to see how much Weaver and Legaspi loved each other. How much they belonged together, but Kerry just refused to see it. Now, she was out with that...that...bimbo, doing who knows what.

Well, screw it, Randi thought. Screw 'em all! Maggie Doyle had just asked her to keep tabs on Weaver and make sure she didn't jump off a bridge in a fit of broken-hearted remorse or something, not to police her sex life. Whatever advice or understanding Randi had given Kerry was just out of the goodness of her heart, and if Weaver wanted to ignore it all and shack up with the first bleached-blonde Linda-Evans-wannabe-looking bitchcake she ran into, that was her problem. You try to be someone's friend, and see where it gets you...

She threw open the door to her hotel room, her mood taking a turn for the worse.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry stared up at the ceiling as her body came down from its high. She could feel Jamie's warm body huddled against her. The gentle fragrance relaxed her tired body, soothing the stress of the last few weeks from her system.

It was...different than it was with Kim, but it wasn't a bad difference. There was a connection there. One that had always been
there, but that she'd chosen to ignore. Kim might've been gone from her life, but now there was someone else. Someone she knew well, as a close friend, as a roommate, as a colleague. And now, as a lover.

She glanced over at the sleeping woman and smiled. Her life was starting to look up.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

" I signed the release waiver, so feel free to put things in my slot anytime."

- Charles Angels.

Odo: Madam Ambassodor, I'm not like you. Every sixteen hours I revert to a liqiud.

Lwaxana Troi: I can swim.

 - DS9: The Forsaken.

Aeris Jade Orion
list mommy: erslash@yahoogroups.com
erslash-adult@yahoogroups.com
AIM: Aeris Jade
ICQ: 51496263
AT&T/Pow-Wow: Jade
Pow-Wow Community: Orion

Web Site: http://members.fortunecity.com/aerissword/Index.html