In Memory of Pockets

By Mz. Sporty Thang

It’s Monday at Parker Center and the phone rings. McCall promptly answers the phone as Hunter looks on.
McCall answers, "Homicide, McCall."
There is a brief silence. Then McCall pleads, "No! Oh, no, no. When did it happen?
Hunter and I just visited her in the hospital on Friday. I am SO sorry."
McCall hangs up. Hunter is staring at her with a befuddled look.
"What? What happened?"
"Pockets......she’s gone. She passed away from complications of cirrhosis of the liver that were attributed to her many years of drinking....especially brandy."
Hunter replies, "Oh, no. Poor, Pockets. I really liked her. I am so glad we convinced her to move into safe housing. At least she was able to spend the last years of her life in a nice apartment."
McCall states, "She will really be missed." McCall begins to cry. Hunter also has tears welding in his eyes. He walks over to McCall and hugs her. (Then they French kiss, strip naked, and start making hot, passionate, freaky love in the middle of the police station.........Oh, sorry,.........wrong fanfic.......that scene is from ‘Angel McCall’ lol ....just trying to lighten the mood for a second." )
Hunter hugs McCall. They look at each other and decide that they should call the funeral home and assist with the arrangements, since no one knew of Pockets’ next-of-kin.
Hunter and McCall also decided that they should also tell Sporty about Pockets’ death.
McCall calls Sporty. Sporty’s secretary, Kirby answers, "Sporty James Enterprises."
"Kirby, is Sporty there? Yeah, he’s right here."
Sporty questions, "Is this my favorite cop, McCall?"
"Yeah, Sporty, uumm....Sporty, look, I hate to tell you this, but Pockets passed away this morning."
There is a dead silence.
"Sporty, Sporty? Are you there?"
Sporty yells, "AH, NAW!!! Why, oh no, not my girl Pockets. AH NAW!!!! AH NAW!!!!
Sporty drops the phone and starts rolling down the sidewalk in grief. Kirby starts running after Sporty as he rolls down the sidewalk.
Kirby exclaims, "Sporty, stop rolling down the sidewalk!!! You’re gonna get hit by a car!!! Oh no, Sporty, watch out for the car!"

***********************************************************************

Two days later, Hunter and McCall are in attendance at Pocket’s funeral. The Funeral commences with a few words from Pastor Walker, a friend of Sporty’s. The Pastor talks about the loving and kind spirit that Pockets possessed. "She was truly a wonderful woman," declares Pastor Walker.
Then the Pastor calls McCall to the front to sing a solo. She begins to beautifully sing, "Amazing Grace." After McCall concludes her solo, everyone had tears in her eyes.
Then Kirby proceeds to the front to perform a rap that he wrote as a tribute to Pockets.

"Yo, yo, Pockets, I miss you very dearly,
you were da’ bomb and I mean that so sincerely.
I loved the way you used to walk the street,
and how you never succumbed to defeat.
As a woman, you were fine and dandy,
and I liked it when you would share your brandy.
I always knew that your were very special,
and you weren’t gonna be no ‘Saturday Night Special.’
I liked the way you dealt with street walkers,
and the way you set up the ‘skid row stalker."
I loved the way you rolled out of that car,"
cause the ‘skid row stalker’ sho’didn’t get too far.
She tried to get away and ran really fast,
but my boy Hunter put a cap in her a-s.
I’m gonna miss you girl, and that’s not all,
others will miss you too, like Sgt. McCall.

As the funeral service came closer to conclusion, Pastor Walker announced the person who would deliver the eulogy. Pastor Walker stated, "I would like to call a very special person to deliver the eulogy. This person meant so much to Pockets and Pockets meant so much to him. The person who will deliver the eulogy is Pockets’ son, Mr. Arnold "Sporty" James."
Hunter, McCall, Kirby, Captain Devane, Lt. Finn, Captain Wyler, Sgt. O’Hearn, and Sgt. Navarro, all jumped onto their feet and yelled, "WHAT!!!!!! SPORTY IS POCKETS’ SON??????????!!!!!!!!!"
Pastor Walker intervenes, "Settle down everyone. Let’s allow Sporty to deliver the eulogy."
Sporty states:
"My mother, Ella Mae James, was a wonderful woman. She was kind, loving, and compassionate. She kept our relationship secretive for my benefit. She did not want anyone to know that I was her son because she felt that her homelessness would embarrass me. However, I need to clarify something. I was never ashamed of my mother.
She was too wonderful to be ashamed of. I tried to convince her that we should disclose our relationship. But she felt it would hurt my street hustling business. She felt that since she lived on the street and I worked on the street, it would pose a conflict of interest in mutual acquaintances. See, she was even business-minded. I definitely got my business sense and street skills from her.
I also felt responsible for her condition. She was a debutante in high school, an honor student, class secretary, and the prom queen. But, on prom night, I guess she and the prom king were a little too happy about being crowned, and she got knocked up that night. She was only 18 years old when she had me. She had a promising future, but I ruined it. She could have gone to college. She was going to go to Vassar in New York. Well, her spoiled dreams led her to the bottle. Her lost dreams, lost hopes, and subsequent alcoholism caused her dampened spirit. She was not able to hold down a job, and she ended up homeless, until she and her friend Wanda found this mangy hole in which she lived. I was raised by my grandmother, but I kept in touch with my mother.
When I became of age, I would offer her money, but she would never accept it. But finally, I anonymously gave Sgts. Hunter and McCall a large sum of money and they were able to put my mother in appropriate housing.
Although I oftentimes felt guilty for my mother’s condition, I always knew that she loved me and was proud of me. When I was named "Street Hustler of the Month" by "Pimps Up and Ho’s Down Magazine" she was so proud. She had one of her friends deliver a letter that congratulated me.
I will miss you, mama. I know you are in a better place now, and there is no more suffering. I love you, mama. Rest in peace."

 

* This fanfiction is dedicated to the memory of actress, Beah Richards, who played "Pockets" on Hunter. She has been in a host of movies and has made many wonderful television appearances. She was an excellent actress and will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, Ms. Richards.

 

{ Back to Fanfiction