Law & Disorder

By JenBen

Jan. 3, 1995
The second week of my last semester of college. The end is so near I can taste it! Just gotta get thru this class, Reality Journalism. The whole term is judged on one in-depth article we write, based on our choice of a typically newsworthy topic. Categories include education, health, lifestyles, politics, crime, etc. I chose crime. After all, my oldest sister is a homicide detective and I figure, that will be the easiest way out! Yes, I am lazy. But, what can I say -- I have major senioritis!

Jan. 10
I roll out of bed around my typical 6a.m. Ugghh! Very unusual for a college student, but when you work nearly full-time at a grocery store to put yourself thru college, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. I’m going to have to rearrange my schedule for this project big time, but I’ll figure something out I guess. Lenny & Squiggy’s is open 24 hours a day, afterall.
I make it the police station around 8 a.m. I can’t believe I survive alive. Downtown L.A. is a sewer!
I thought I’d surprise DeeDee, so I didn’t call to tell her I was coming. I just saw her a couple weeks ago at Christmas, so it’s not like I’m going to turn her world upside down or anything, but she will definitely be shocked to see me, nonetheless.
As I approach the front desk, I can see the back of her head. She’s sitting across from some really hot looking guy, who is actually kind of glancing towards me. I hope she doesn’t notice. The officer behind the desk gives me permission to enter the bullroom. I run up behind my sister and grab her on the shoulders. She jumps out of her seat and lets out an almost scream.
"Damn! Is that how you react when you’re busting killers?!" I laugh.
She pretends to be mad for a second, but then smiles and gives me a hug.
"What are you doing here?" she asks. Of course.
"Well, I decided I should finally check out what the hell it is you do for a living!" I joke.
"So. Are you going to introduce me?" the hot looking guy interrupts, standing up.
Damn, he’s tall. Nice body. Anyway . . .
"Oh, I’m sorry," she says. "Rick, this is my youngest sister Anna O’Brien. Anna, my partner, Rick Hunter."
We shake hands. Rick looks back and forth at Dee and me. I imagine he is surprised we are sisters. I’m blonde, she’s brunette. I’ve got blue eyes, she green. I’m short, she’s, well, several inches taller than me. She’s super skinny, I’m, well, let’s say curvy. She’s 30, I’m 21. But other than that, we are pretty much alike. Especially compared to our other two sisters.
"Wow, you’ve got some good looking family," Rick smiles.
He seems to be a real smoothie so far.
"Well, sit down and talk to me," Dee insists. "How was New Year’s? Mom said you guys partied it up at the Roxy."
"What?!" I laugh. "How does Mom even know what the Roxy is? . . . Actually, we did go there, but it was just your typical nite. Ya know, get drunk and barf your guts up."
"College kids," Rick grumbles.
"Anyway," Dee continues, "What’s up?"
I think she’s assuming I’ve done something stupid and I need her to bail me out.
"Well, first off, I haven’t committed any crimes. So, you can relax now," I assure her.
"I didn’t think . . ." she tries to interrupt, but I just blab on.
"The deal is, I have this class, Reality Journalism and I have to write an in-depth article on crime, police work, etc. And, I was wondering if I could hang out with you guys over the next several weeks, and see what life on the beat is really all about."
She looks at me with uncertainty.
"It wouldn’t be everyday," I continue. "I have other classes and work, but just whenever we can mesh our schedules. Hopefully on a fairly consistent basis though."
"Well, that would be extremely dangerous, Anna. And I don’t know if our captain would even allow this," she tells me.
"Come on! Reporters ride with cops all the time," I insist. "I mean, If someone starts shooting at us, trust me, I’ll duck."
"You laugh now, but it happens all the time," she says seriously. "And riding several weeks with homicide detectives is not the same as one nite with a patrol unit."
"I know, I know. But believe me, I’m a huge scaredy cat, so no need to caution me. I’m incredibly paranoid already.. . . Can’t you at least ask. PLEASE! My entire college diploma depends on it!"
"Yah, come on McCall. I think it will be fun," Rick chimes in.
Cool, he’s on my side. I like him already. If only he had some more hair.

Jan. 12
Well, Captain Devane gave us the ok for the project. Woo Hoo! I’m home free! I’m going into the station this morning. Thank God they don’t come in til 9 today. I actually get to sleep in.
"So what’s on the agenda today?" I ask my sister eagerly.
"Well, we’re going to go stakeout a club. We have some suspects under surveillance."
"Tell me more!"
"We’ll fill you in on the ride over," Rick says. "Let’s go."

-----------------------

In the car
"You guys actually drive around in this thing everyday?" I ask in disbelief.
"I told you!" Dee yells, looking at Rick. "This thing is a piece of junk."
"Oh, like I don’t know that?" he smirks.
"Has it ever broken down while you were in hot pursuit?"
"Hell yes!" they both answer.
"Well, that’s a big waste of taxpayer money if you ask me," I rant. "I mean, how about getting a real car and actually catching criminals."
"Well, maybe she should be hanging out with the commander, not us," Rick laughs.
"Hey Hunter, there’s the place," Dee says, pointing towards some run-down building.
We slide into a parking spot on the street. And then the sitting on our asses begjns.
After 30 minutes, Rick needs a break.
"I’m going to go grab a chili dog across the street. Anyone want one?"
"It’s 10 in the morning," Dee laughs, obviously amused with his quirkiness. "Can you get me a . . "
"I know McCall, a Coke. I’ll grab one for you too Anna -- along with a dog?"
I figure, what the hell! When in Rome, right?
We watch Rick walk down the block. I turn to my sister, with a big grin on my face.
"How can you stand it?" I ask her.
"What?!"
"Spending half your life with that gorgeous guy, and not jumping his bones?!"
She looks shocked, just as I expected. Taunting her is my main joy in life, afterall.
"I can’t believe you said that! . . . What on earth are you talking about anyway? We are co-workers."
"Oh yah right," I say. "You are obviously very good friends."
"So!"
"So. I think you also have got a lot of chemistry going on."
"Chemistry?"
As if she’s never heard the word.
"I just think he’s got the hots for you, and vice versa. That’s all. . . .What’s the problem? Is that against the rules?"
"Yes it is, and it’s not true anyway Anna. Geez!"
"Are you trying to tell me you don’t think he’s good looking?"
"Why are looking at him anyway ? He’s old enough to be your father, for God sake!"
"You didn’t answer my question Sis!"
"Well, he’s attractive I guess. I never really thought about it, to tell you the truth."
"Puuuleeeaaase!"
"Hey, shut up! Here he comes."
We sit thru some more surveillance. Still no movement. I never realized how boring police work can be. I thought they drove thru the streets shooting out windshields and tires all day. Now that’s excitement.
"So, anyway, what are you guys doing Sat. nite?" I finally ask.
They look at each other as if it’s a trick question. Just as I suspected, neither have any plans.
"Good, you can come check out our band," I say. "We’re playing at the Cradle at 9."
"You’re in a band?" Rick asks.
"Yah, my boyfriend Brian, me and 3 other guys. We play metal and alternative rock. You know, Metallica, Alice in Chains. It’s really a blast."
"Yah, that sounds like fun," Rick says.
Dee Dee looks at him with shock.
" I thought you only listened to country Hunter?!"
"Well, this is your sister afterall."
"Ooh, a fellow country fan! Cool!" I say. "How about that Shania Twain, man!"
"Oh my God! She is a total . . .
Dee Dee gives him the eye
. . . a totally talented singer," Rick salvages.
"Yah, and she’s got the greatest body ever too, right?!" I laugh. "Mark my words, that girl is gonna be sooo big one day!"

----------------------------------

Jan. 18
In the car, AGAIN.
"So, anyway, Rick, who’s bed have your boots been under lately?" I blurt out, with a laugh.
"What?" he asks.
Even Dee cracks a smile.
"You know, Sat. nite, the blonde chick at the Cradle."
"Oh right. She was a very sweet girl," he squirms.
"I’ll bet," Dee exclaims, despite the frog in her throat.
"You know, she’s a cheerleader for the Rams," Rick informs us.
"Oooohhh!," I chuckle . . . "So, did you have sex with her?
"Anna!" Dee yells. But, I know she’s curious.
"Well, I’m just wondering. I mean, how can people just take their clothes off in front of total strangers, anyway?"
"If you must know, I went home with McCall!" he assures me.
"We drove home in the same car," Dee clarifies.
"Well, still. What is it with those girls anyway?" I press the issue. "What’s the attraction, I mean beyond the obvious? Why do guys like girls with no brains? How can you have a relationship with no mutual respect or friendship?
"How old are you again?" Rick laughs.
" I just don’t get it!" I continue. "Women like Dee here can never find a decent man, and she is like the best catch around."
"Excuse me, but I see guys staring her down all over town. She just won’t give them the time of day."
I don’t even let her get a word in.
"Yah, because she’s not interested in a one night stand."
"Well, that’s the problem I guess."
"So, all men want is sex?"
"Basically, yes," he admits.
"Ok, then why do so many end up getting married?" Dee finally chimes in.
"Because they think it’s the right thing to do," Rick answers.
"So are you saying you don’t believe in love?" she asks.
"No, not really. I mean, I’ve never really found what I consider actual love. It’s like Anna said, love is about respect, friendship, and attraction. Where can I get all that in one person?"

-------------------

Later that day
Well, so much for deep conversation. Now we are on the hunt for some scoop. It seems my two favorite cops have some kind of arrangement with a few "questionable" characters. These people give them information regarding crimes, in exchange for minor legal favors.
"Hey Sporty! What’s going down?" Rick says, approaching a guy who I swear used to be on Saturday Night Live.
"Aaah, Sergeants Hunter and McCall, my two favorite police officers. And who is you’re lovely friend?"
"Sporty, this is my sister Anna," Dee introduces.
"Well, I can see beauty definitely runs in your family McCall," Sporty charms.
"That’s exactly what I said," Rick muses.

----------------------------------------

Jan. 20
Ok, I’m sick of this damn car!
"So, what’s with the last names anyway?" I inquire.
"Huh?" they both say, at the same time no less.
"Well, I’ve noticed that everyone else calls you guys by your first names, except the two of you? What’s up with that?"
They both shrug their shoulders, pondering the question
"I know!" I exclaim. "You’re trying to be like Mulder and Scully, right?"
"Who?" Dee asks in between sneezes.
"You really should be taking something for that cold Sis. You keep getting sicker."
"Yah, you don’t look so good," Rick confirms.
"Gee thanks," she says with a sarcastic smirk. . . . "Actually, I really don’t feel good at all."
Of course, I have a solution.
"Hey, let’s go get some medicine at Lenny & Squiggy’s. It’s only like five minutes away. Besides, you can see Dave, the seafood manager. Remember him?"
"He still works there?" she asks with disbelief.
"Yah. And he still has the hots for you. He’s always asking about you."
"You’ve got to be kidding me!" she rolls her eyes.
"Fill me him," Rick insists.
"Oh, Dee used to work at the grocery too, back in high school. And this gross guy who cuts fish heads off for a living, used to chase her around with promises of free shrimp cocktail. One day Steve had to come in and threaten to beat him over the head with a bass. Ha!"

---------------------

We arrive at the market. A wonderful site is before us.
"Oh my gosh, Girl Scout cookies," Dee exclaims. "Do you have any money?" she says looking at Rick.
"Man, why don’t you ever carry any cash?" he moans.
"Because. I can’t exactly lug a purse around while I’m chasing bad guys, can I?"
"Fine," he grumbles, reaching for his wallet. "Those mint things, right?"
He knows her awfully well, I think to myself.
We do a quick run-in and try to keep the hellos brief. Everyone is so interested in Dee. Lucky for her, it is fish boy’s day off.

-----------------------

We just struck out again, trying to find the bad guys’ hideout.
"Hey. Sporty said the other day he heard that Larry and Mo have a place off of Old Dirt Road. Let’s go see if we can find it," Rick suggests.
After driving forever, we finally come to a clearing in the trees on the side of the road. Why Rick thinks this is the spot, I’ll never know. I guess this is what they call police instinct. Anyway, we walk for what seems like a million miles -- and damn it’s cold. Good thing we have our jackets with us. After a couple hours of trapesing thru the woods, Hunter and McCall finally decide to give it up. False rumor they suppose. As we’re heading back, my poor sister looks like she’s at death’s door. I guess hanging out in 30 degree weather for hours hasn’t helped her cold. She’s coughing up a lung and straggling way behind Rick and me.
To pass the time I decide to break out in a little Toby Keith. To my surprise, Rick joins in.
"Shoulda been a cowboy, shoulda learned to rope and ride, wearing my six shooter, riding my pony on a cattle drive . . ."
Now DeeDee is really starting to turn green. I don’t know if it’s nauseau from her illness or from hearing our off- key country. Suddenly, she just plops down and leans up against a tree. I personally am starting to get a little concerned, but Rick just wants to trudge on.
"You guys go ahead," she softly shouts, waving us on. "I’m just gonna take a little nap."
I turn around and head back to her.
"Oh geez , I think she’s gonna faint. Lay down on your back," I tell her.
"How do you know she’s gonna pass out?" Rick asks.
"Because I do it all the time. She’s probably really weak from being sick and over-exerted."
Dee collapses against my shoulder.
"Come on Rick, you have to carry her."
I have to practically beg, but finally he lifts her onto his back. We make it to the car and she crashes in the back seat all the way to her apartment.

-----------------------

Back at Dee’s place.
Rick and I manage to carry her upstairs to bed.
"Just go to sleep and you’ll feel much better," I tell my sister as I yank off her shoes and jacket.
She basically just moans and groans. I think she’s getting a little delirious. Rick sits on the bed next to her, and runs his hands thru her hair. Very sexy, I must say.
"Just close your eyes," he says, pulling up the covers and tucking her in.
Then he turns to me.
"I’m starved. Do you want to get something to eat?"
"Yah, sure. Brian has class tonite so I don’t have anything to do anyway."
As we walk out of the room we hear Dee whimper.
"What about me?"
Rick laughs.
"Don’t worry, we’ll bring you back something."

-----------------

Honky Tonk Angel Bar & Grill
"I hope Dee’s feeling better. . . I’m worried about her."
"I’m sure she’ll be fine," Rick tries to assure me. "She probably just needs to rest for a couple days. Good thing the weekend’s almost here."
"No, I guess that’s not what I mean."
"Explain."
"I don’t know. She’s just acting strange," I say. "Well, I guess it’s nothing recent really. Ever since Steve died she hasn’t been herself. "
"Well, that is a huge thing for a person to handle. A major life change."
"I know," I sigh. "But, in her case it’s a total personality change . . . .She used to be so sweet, so fun, so family oriented. So . . .. like me. My dad used to call her his princess. He never calls any of us that, except her."
Rick just stares at me.
"Don’t get me wrong. She’s still a great person and still all those things --sometimes -- but it’s just not the same. I think the biggest part of it is she never used to be so tough. She’s always been strong, but not so rough around the edges."
"Well, maybe she’s just grown up a little bit. Or maybe she’s just getting used to being a cop," Rick suggests.
"You know, my parents totally disapprove of her being a cop," I say.
"Really?"
"Yah. I mean it is a serious point of contention. I don’t blame them, to tell you the truth. It is really hard when a close family member is a cop. You never know when the phone is going to ring and the person on the other end is going to say she’s wounded -- or dead. It’s very scary."
"She’s a good cop. You shouldn’t worry."
"It’s all very weird, because she just sprung the cop thing on everyone totally out of the blue."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, she went to college, ya know. And she was going to be a music teacher. Then, right after she and Steve got married -- after graduation -- he went into the police academy. So, she just decided to also. I think she was freaked out since it’s such a dangerous career -- and she wanted to spend as much time with him as possible, in case anything ever happened."
"That does not sound like McCall."
"Yah, not now. She acts so independent. She used to be really close with me, and our family. Now she’s just kind of distant. Maybe because we are all coupled off or something. But, I think she’s lonely and I think she’s still very dependent on people, she’s just faking it. She doesn’t want to let herself get close. . . Does she ever even go on dates?"
"Sure. All the time. Well, sometimes."
Now, I go in for the kill.
"Why don’t you go out with her?" I ask.
Rick looks confused.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean, how come you two have never hooked up?"
"Well, that’s very complicated," he says, trying to sound official.
‘Don’t you think she’s pretty?" I ask.
"Yah. I mean she’s definitely attractive. Very attractive, but . . ."
"And you guys are already close friends," I continue.
"Yes."
"So, what you are saying is, you’re physically attracted to her, and you really like her as a person. So, what’s the problem?"
"Hell! When you put it like that -- I don’t know. I guess I know her too well. I think I like her too much to date her."
"What?!"
I can’t believe that lame excuse!
"I’m kind of a jackass when it comes to relationships. I wouldn’t want to hurt her," he says.
I laugh.
"I think she likes the jackass in you," I tell him. . . "Don’t you guys ever have those moments on a late nite stakeout, when you just look into each other‘s eyes, and have this overwhelming desire to kiss."
"Man, you watch too many soap operas Anna."
"Please! That is what real romance is all about," I say, completely serious.
"But really," I say, getting back on track. "Like I said earlier today, you have to respect someone and have a friendship with them to really be in love. And you have that with DeeDee. So what I think is this: you are in complete denial!"
"Are you always this blunt?" he asks, obviously getting annoyed.
"Only when I really care about something -- or someone. Let me just give you some words of wisdom Rick. Sometimes the very thing you're looking for is the one thing you can't see."
"Aah, very poetic," he says sarcastically, as he tips his glass to me.

-------------------------

Back at Dee’s
"We brought you some potato soup, almost as good as Dad’s," I say, attempting to cheer Sleeping Beauty up.
She doesn’t look very pleased. I guess she was hoping for chocolate.
I borrow a pair of pajamas and decide to crash on the couch -- I just don’t feel like driving all the way back to the UCLA area. I say goodnite and leave Rick alone to say his own. Hee hee! Luckily, her bedroom is a loft, so I can hear and see every word.
Rick paces the floor as Dee eats the soup.
"I have a headache," she says groggily.
"I’ll get you some aspirin," he says, heading for the bathroom.
"Can you come over here?" she whispers.
He saunters over and sits down next to her on the edge of the bed.
"You know what my husband used to do when I had a headache?"
"What?" he smiles, obviously overcome by her cuteness.
"Kiss my forehead."
Ok, I guess the Nyquil has really kicked in!
"Will you do that?"
To my surprise, Mr. Tough Guy agrees. Man, this is getting good!
"Can you get me my bear?" she asks.
"Sure, where is it?
"In the closet."
He finds it.
"Do you know why I have this bear?"
"Why?" Rick asks, genuinely interested.
"Because my Dad gave it to me when I was a little girl. I loved the Winnie the Pooh adventures so much, so he gave each of us a big stuffed character from the story. So all my sisters have one too. Anna has Eeyore."
He smiles.
"Rick, will you stay with me tonite?" she whispers.
Holy Cow! This is better than Days of Our Lives!
"Alright," he says, pulling up a chair beside the bed and grabbing a magazine. "I’ll sit here until you fall back asleep."
She lays down and he watches her begin her descent into dreamland.
"Good nite, sweet thing," he smiles.

-------------------

The next morning.
Well, Rick must have fallen asleep himself, cause when I rolled off the couch around 9 a.m. -- someone forgot to set the alarm! -- there he is, laying in bed next to Dee. They are both on their sides, facing each other. How weird -- to wake up with someone staring at you.
I click on the tube and head to the fridge. To my dismay, the only thing in there is a bottle of Coke and a half eaten Domino’s pizza.
"Damn, this is worse than my apartment -- and I live with eight people!" I say to myself.
Suddenly I hear the dynamic duo waking up. Goodbye Regis and Kathie Lee! I run to the stairway to eavesdrop -- I oughtta be the detective around here!
"Good morning," Rick smiles, as he climbs out of bed.
Dee barely opens her eyes.
"It’s late. I’ve gotta go to work. I’ll tell Charlie you’re too sick to come in."
"No, I can make it," she says, trying to sit up. But, she just falls back down.
Rick laughs.
"How’s that headache?"
"Much better," she smiles.
He heads downstairs, and I run for the "I’m just sitting here watching tv" position.
"Hey Anna. Are you coming in today?" Rick asks. "I’m gonna run down some crap on the computer and go thru the former convict library, if you want to "observe" that."
"Sure. Right after lunch. I’ve got a class this morning," I say. "BTW, can you give me a ride home?"
Afternoon at the station.
"Have you talked to DeeDee?"
"I’ll call her right now," Rick says, dialing the phone.
"Hey, how ya feeling? No good?
"What’s she doing?" I ask.
"Anna’s here. What are you doing?"
"She’s watching Days," he tells me.
"What’s happening?" I ask.
"She says Bo and Hope are argueing about Franco. Bo’s convinced Franco’s the one who attacked Jill."
Then Rick pauses for a minute.
"Why the hell am I talking about this shit?!"
"Tell her Brian and I are bringing her some of his mom’s homemade chicken soup later," I say.
"Did you hear that?" he asks her.
"And Mom might drop by too," I yell into the phone. "I told her you were sick."
"Now, she’s grumbling," Rick laughs.
"Hey, I got an idea," he says to Dee. "How about I come over tomorrow with some beer, and we can watch the playoff games?!"
"Man!" he says turning to me. "She hung up."

--------------------------

Jan. 28
6 p.m., Dee’s place.
I knock on the door as loud as possible. My sister has this habit of going to bed right when she gets home from work on Fridays. I used to do that in high school. 4 p.m. Friday afternoon was my bedtime. I was really cool, huh?!
She answers the door looking remarkably undisheveled.
"Hey! Haven’t made into your pajamas yet? " I squawk, giving my sister a half hug.
She laughs. "I’m still waiting for my pizza."
"I need to borrow some clothes," I yell as I run up the stairs. "Do you have anything that will actually fit me?"
I rummage thru her closet, which has more clothes than any I’ve ever seen in one place. I knew I’d find a goldmine here.
"When the hell do you wear all these clothes, it’s not like you have a life?" I say to myself, with a laugh.
Of course, she’s standing right behind me now, and scares the hell out of me when she says, "I heard that. . . .
What do you need, a dress?"
"Yes, for Valentine’s Day. Brian just informed me we are doing something really special and romantic. And since the only clothes I own are shorts and t-shirts, and I’m totally broke . . ."
"Oh my God!" Dee squeals.
"What?!" I squeal right back.
"Something really special. Valentine’s Day. Hello! Engagement ring!"
"Not uuuhh!" I assure her.
Then she starts jumping up and down.
"This is so exciting. I can’t believe it."
"Ok, you have officially flipped your wig! We are only 21."
"So! I got married when I was 22. And besides, you’ve been together forever."
"Please! I don’t even want to get married. And, Brian definitely doesn’t. He’s probably just taking me to dinner AND a movie."
"What do you mean you don’t want to get married? Aren’t you guys moving in together this summer anyway? It’s the same damn thing!"
"It is? Well, then what’s the point of a wedding?"
"I have no idea."
I just roll my eyes.
"Ya know, why do you have to be so skinny? I can’t wear any of your clothes!" I pout.
"Oh, don’t change the subject," she insists. "You’ve harassed me enough the past few weeks. Now it’s my turn."
I can see she’s really enjoying herself.
"Where is Rick, by the way?" I ask with a devilish smile.
"Anyway . . ." she insists. "What’s the deal with you? Why are you so down about Brian?"
"I’m not. It’s just that I have no idea what I’m doing with my life. I think I need to figure that out before I go and get married."
"I thought you had that settled. You’re going to be a writer."
"Oh, like it’s that simple," I bark.
"Why not?"
"I have about as much chance of becoming a successful writer as I do becoming a famous rock star. I mean, if I said I was going to pursue that, everyone would freak out."
"Well, I don’t think it’s totally the same . . ."
"But, it almost is. I’ve sent out hundreds of resumes. All rejections."
"Well, don’t get discouraged so easily. Most people don’t have a job lined up before they finish school."
"How the hell did you know you wanted to become a cop anyway?" I ask. "I mean, you seem to really enjoy it. How did you have that foresight to know it was the career for you?"
"Uh, well. I guess I didn’t know for sure. You know," she says, giving me the look of ‘remember?’ " I kind of chose this route on a whim. It was pretty intense at first and I thought maybe I did make a mistake. But, then I realized I was good at it, and that’s nice motivation."
"Whim, huh?" I say, pondering the concept.
"It’s funny Dee Dee. When I was growing up, I totally worshiped you. I thought you were the coolest, greatest thing since Dr. Marlena Evans."
She laughs.
"Then, for the past few years I’ve totally felt sorry for you. I’m thinking you’re all alone and depressed and all this crap . . ."
She tries to interrupt, without success.
"Then I come here and spend all this time with you, in your "secret life" and I realize I shouldn’t be feeling sorry for you at all. I mean, you could have it all if you wanted it. I guess you just don’t. So I figure, maybe you really are happy. And, dammit! I’m the one I should be feeling sorry for."
"You know Anna, you can still be a wonderful person without having a high paying, high profile job."
"Well, I don’t want to stick Brian with paying all the bills. Then he’ll resent me, I’ll ruin his life and we’ll get divorced."
"Will you cut it out?" she demands.
"Seriously Dee Dee. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a total flake!" I exclaim.
She gives me a "you’re wacked" look.
"Well, in case YOU haven’t noticed, you have about one zillion friends and more fun than any one person should be able to handle. I don’t know many people who can say that."
I ignore her.
"I mean look at me, I’m a 21 year old chick who works at a grocery store, plays around in a band and occasionally cracks a few good jokes. But, let’s get real. Being the life of the party does not make for an Oprah success story."
She sighs, and this time gives me the "let’s be rational" face.
"I think you are just having the normal pre-college graduation stress," she assures me. "No one knows exactly what they want to do with their life, especially at such a young age. You just have to try different things and see what happens."
"Why don’t you take you own advice then," I smirk.
"Huh?"
"Rick!"
"Oh, Anna. That again. I thought you said you realized I was happy and don’t need your help."
"Oh please, like I meant that! Listen, Dee, if there’s one thing in this world I’m good at, it’s matchmaking. I can read people like a book. I’m always right about these things, dammit!"
"Well, then. You need to get your own radio talk show. There’s a career for you!" she laughs.
"Oh that’s real funny!" I bark, getting a little offended. "Why doesn’t anyone ever take me seriously?!"
"Because you are an escape from seriousness. I take you seriously. I know the hell you’ve lived thru. But no one else does, because you never share your problems. Looking at you, people think it’s actually possible to have a happy life. You give them hope . . . . . Anna. I guarantee you, a year from now, you’ll see the world -- and your life -- in a completely different way. You just need to have a little faith."
"Dee Dee, a year from now I could be dead!" I say matter of factly. "You know that better than anyone."
Then we just stare at each other with blank faces.
"I don’t want to have any regrets," I blurt out.
"Anna . . ." she sighs.
"Alright, I’m outta here," I say, grabbing my bag. "Sorry to bug you with my lame problems."
"You’re not bugging me," she insists, chasing me down the stairs and grabbing my arm.
I pull away and smile wide.
"By the way," I yell, as I open the door. "I just have more thing to say."
"What?" she asks suspiciously.
I turn around and belt out a quick serenade.
"Let your love flow like a mountain stream. And let your love grow with the smallest of dreams . . . "
She tries to close the door on me, but I push back in for one last attempt.
"And let your love show and you’ll know what I mean . . ."
I just know she can’t resist smiling.

------------------------

Editor’s Note
By Professor I. Tower
Ten days ago Anna O’Brien came into my office, threw this legal pad on my desk and told me she got a part on Days of Our Lives. The last time I saw her she was making out with John Black in one of his Stefano induced, brain chip dreams. Although she was supposed to be writing an investigative journalism piece on the Los Angeles police department, I think her experience is more suitable for a True Confessions article. However, I’m sure all you readers are curious about what ever happened between Rick and DeeDee. Well, so was I! So, here’s the scoop that I dug up, straight from the source . . .

----------------------------------------

Feb. 14, 6 p.m.
McCall is laying in bed, in her dark bedroom, bundled up in blankets. A half-eaten box of chocolates is sitting on the nightstand, and a re-run of the X-files is blaring on the tv. Suddenly, she hears a bang on the door.
"McCall! It’s me! I’m coming in!"
Hunter runs up the stairs and sees McCall in her pathetic state. He quickly switches the lights on and the tv off.
"What the hell are you doing?!" he yells.
She ignores him and throws the covers over her head.
He rips them off of her.
"Get out of bed," he instructs her. "We’re going out!"
"Why?" she whines.
"Because it’s Valentine’s Day dammit! And I don’t have a date!"
"Oh. So what am I? A consolation prize?"
"Well, you’re better than a blow-up doll. So . . ."
McCall can’t help but laugh out loud.
"Now, go put on something sexy -- if you even own anything like that."
"Come on, Hunter. I don’t want to. I’d rather just sit here and gorge myself on the chocolates my mom and dad gave me," she moans. "I can always count on them to be my valentine."
Now, Hunter is the one who can’t help but laugh.
"Come on McCall. It’s Valentine’s Day. If nothing else, we’ve got to at least go get drunk and have sex."
"Fine! . . ."

---------------

Luigi’s Gourmet Pizza Palace
"I can’t believe you made me get all dressed up just to come here," McCall whines, as she and her partner settle into a booth.
"Come on, Luigi’s pizza is world famous," Hunter defends himself.
She rolls her eyes.
‘Do you want a beer, or what?" he asks.
"YES!"
When the pitcher arrives they both smile inside. Now they can relax.
"So, do you remember what we did last Valentine’s Day, McCall?"
"Well, if you mean do I remember WHO you did. Sorry. I can’t remember her name," McCall smirks.
He shakes his head in disappointment.
"No. . . . Geez, what is your . . . You know. I’m talking about the Cupid case," Hunter asserts.
"Oh yah," McCall remembers. "That guy who shot arrows thru his victims. What a wack job! . . . What does that have to do with being here?"
"Nothing really. Just that we are always working, even on important holidays like Valentine’s Day." He interrupts himself to laugh at his own silliness. "I think we need to relax once in awhile. "
"Believe me, you, I relax plenty," she assures him. "In fact, I’m willling to bet no adult in the free world gets more sleep on the weekends than I do. Afterall, I have absolutely zero personal life."
" I know what you mean," Hunter moans.
"No you don’t!" McCall exclaims. "You always have some girl in your bed!"
"Hun, that’s not love."
"So! It’s company!"
"Oh, like you couldn’t do the same. You know what your problem is?"
"I’m waiting."
"You have way too many morals!"
"Oh," she laughs, half embarrassed by that truth. "Actually, you should try getting some yourself. . . . . . . . . .
What are you saying anyway? You’re looking for love?"
"You don’t have to look for love, McCall. It just finds you."
"Oh, excuse me, Mr. Romance."
Now an awkward moment approaches. They both begin to look around the restaurant, trying to keep their eyes off one another for a minute.
"Hey, look at those teenagers over there," McCall finally whispers, inconspicuously pointing to a nearby table. "That is so sweet. Do you even remember what it was like to be a kid?"
"Vaguely," Hunter mumbles.
"Well, I do," she insists. "Sometimes, I wish I still was one. I mean life was so simple then. Your parents did everything for you. Well, at least mine did. Everything was so fun, and life was full of so many more possibilities."
"What are you talking about DeeDee?"
"It’s just depressing to know I’ll never have kids, never live that suburban life. I mean, I never even wanted kids until I realized I couldn’t have them. And now I’m really bummed."
"What?!"
"Well, by the time I actually meet someone, then we have to be together a few years before getting married, then be married a little while before having kids. I’ll be so old by then, it will be scientifically impossible."
"Come on, you know how advanced technology is these days," Hunter laughs. "Seriously, though. Hello! Are you crazy? You’re only 30! Besides, the solution is to just get with someone you already know. Then your dating time line is greatly reduced."
"Well," she pouts, "If I already knew someone, I wouldn’t have this problem, would I?"
"You know what Anna said to me?" he asks.
No response.
"Ok, I’ll tell you. Sometimes, the very thing you’re looking for, is the one thing you can’t see."
"Oh man, Hunter. That’s so corny. I can’t believe you even said that."
"I know," he says, hanging his head in shame.
"Hey, what do you mean Anna said that?" McCall suddenly interrogates. "When were you talking to her?"
"That nite we went to dinner, when you were sick."
"Oh God! I hope you guys didn’t talk about me."
"Of course we did. What else would we have to talk about?" Hunter smiles. "She told me you have a crush on me."
"What!? Hunter! Anna is crazy! You do know that, don’t you? I mean, she’s so dizzy from all those migraines. She’s absolutely never serious! I’m SURE she was just joking!"
"Thou does protest too much!" he laughs. . . "Anyway. As you were saying though, about those teenagers. Why do people give up on their dreams when they get older? When we are kids, our potential is completely endless."
"Because, when we grow up, dreams are surrendered to reality. It’s the permanent defeat of life. Don’t ya know," McCall grumbles, slamming her suddenly empty beer mug on the table.
"You must admit Dee Dee, our relationship is rather strange. So unexplainable."
"You are so unexplainable," she quips, refilling her glass. "What the hell are you talking about?!"
"Nothing. I was just thinking how everyone thinks it’s very odd for a man and woman to be so close without being romantically involved -- and I’ve decided that I agree. Especially with us, since we are both so good looking. . . But, obviously, love isn’t about sex. And that’s definitely the case with us, since we’ve never even . . . even anything."
"Excuse me, but . . . who are you?!" she begs, as she begins nervously tugging on her dress under the table." Why are you being so serious?! It’s making me nuts."
Just then, he pulls a jewelry box out of his coat pocket. Now she’s really about to lose it.
"Don’t worry, it’s not an engagement ring," he assures her.
"I wasn’t thinking that! God!" she exclaims, breathing a sigh of relief.
"I just wanted to show you this. I found it the other day in my dresser. I had forgotten all about it."
She opens the box. Inside, a cross on a gold chain.
"Well, I’m glad to see you’ve finally found God!" she laughs.
Hunter throws her a quick sarcastic smirk, and then resumes his serious protocol.
"This was my mother’s. She gave it to me on her death bed. It was a family heirloom. She told me to give it to my everlasting love -- whatever that means."
"Wow," is all McCall can say, obviously trying to imagine his feelings.
"Yah, when I found it it was one of those moments. Moments where you are just completely alone with yourself and you realize the meaning of it all. It’s a sad moment because you can’t share it with anyone. It’s all about you, and what makes you, you. And then you realize everything is up to you. Your whole life is what you make it."
"Yes!" she whispers, looking at him as if she can’t believe he thinks such deep thoughts.
"Anyway," he says, clearing his throat, and nonchalantly passing the box to her, "Do you want it?"
"What? No! You should give this to your wife, or your daughter."
"Well, last time I checked, I don’t have either," he half-heartedly laughs.
"So, what? I’m the next best thing again?"
"No!" he insists this time. "You’re my best friend and I’ll probably never love anyone like I love you, so . . ."
"Rick. I don’t know." Then, realizing what he just said, "What do you mean, love?"
"Don’t you know what love is McCall?"
"I’m not sure," she admits. "Since when do you?"
He pauses for a minute thinking of a response.
"You know, when Anna told me you had a crush on me, she also told me I had a crush on you."
"Like I said, that girl is crazy!" DeeDee yells.
"Hey! I’ve got an idea," Rick says, changing the subject. "Let’s go down to Ben&Jen’s on the beach and get some ice-cream."
And suddenly Luigi’s is history.

------------------

A couple banana splits later, Hunter grabs McCall’s hand and leads her to the sand where they sit and watch the waves crash in. And a couple surfers too.
"Do you know, I’ve never been to the beach at nite before?" McCall tells him.
"You haven’t?!"
"Nope."
"So, I guess you’ve never had sex on the beach either."
"Are you making me an offer?" she smiles hopefully.
"Nah," he shakes his head.
"What? Why not?" she demands, exasperated.
"Because. I don’t like all that sand up my ass."
They laugh hysterically at the thought.
"Besides," he says quietly, trying to regain his composure. "This isn’t a sex moment."
McCall looks up into his eyes and they stare at each other for an eternity of about 30 seconds. Finally, he leans down and kisses her, very softly and very slowly. And she kisses back, in the same manner. But, then pulls away just as quickly. Embarrassed by the huge smile on her face, she looks towards the ground. Hunter gently grabs her face and forces her to look back up at him.
"What?" he smiles back.
"I’d say that was definitely the best kiss of my life," she confesses.
"Yes," he agrees.
"Really?"
"You are way too hard on yourself," he shakes his head. "Seriously though, I want you to have this necklace," he says pulling it out of his jacket again. "You don’t have to wear it, because I know you already wear that locket that Steve gave you. But just . . .."
"Rick . . . Do you think I shouldn’t wear this anymore?" she asks, grasping her chain.
"No. You still love him don’t you?"
"Well, yes. But, maybe it’s not very healthy. It’s just, I can’t let go."
"You don’t have to let go. Just let someone else in too."
"It’s cold out here," she says, zipping up her leather jacket.
"Let’s go to my place," Rick suggests.

--------------------------

McCall changes into one of Hunter’s t-shirts and crawls into bed with him, as if it’s a nightly routine. She falls asleep on a pillow propped on his chest.
When she wakes the next morning, she gives her surroundings a double take. Realizing her locale, she grabs her purse on the floor next to the bed and quickly throws a handful of tic tacs in her mouth and a comb thru her hair. Then she snuggles back up to Rick who wakes to her staring eyes. He immediately squeezes her tight and kisses her, softly like last nite, but this time much longer. Once the moment is complete, she sits up, and smiles at his gaze. But then, as if she’s just remembered something, she turns towards the window behind her.
"What? What’s the matter?" Rick asks.
"I don’t know what to say," she mutters, in between sobs.
He smiles and turns her toward him again.
"Sometimes, nothing needs to be said."
She pauses.
"I love you. You too."
"I know."
"You do? Do you know what I mean?" she begs.
He wipes away a tear falling from her eyes.
"Yes."
He kisses her on the forehead.
"I’m going to take a shower and then make you a nice breakfast. Do you care to join me?"
She crinkles her nose a little and shakes her head no.
"Good," he smiles. "I’m not ready to see you naked yet. My heart can only handle so much in one day."
She lets out a soft laugh.
After he closes the bathroom door, McCall grabs Rick’s necklace off the nightstand. She slowly slides the cross off its chain and switches it with the locket on her own chain. Then she clasps it around her neck and lays down on his pillow. As she dozes into dreamland again, the alarm clock goes off. But, she’s already drifted too far to wake

. . . . . . . . . . .

When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Just let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in me
And when the tears you cry
Are all you can believe
Just give these loving arms a try
And have a little faith in me

And when your secret heart
Cannot speak so easily
Come here darling, from a whisper start
And have a little faith in me
And when your back's against the wall
Just turn around and you, you will see
I will catch you, I will catch your fall
Just have a little faith in me

'Cause I've been loving you, for such a long, long time
Expecting nothing in return
Just for you to have a little faith in me
You see time, time is our friend
'Cause for us, there is no end
And all you gotta do, is have a little faith in me
I will hold you up, I will hold you up
And your love, gives me strength enough to
Have a little faith in me
All you gotta do for me
Is have a little faith in me

 

{ Back to Fanfiction