Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Nighttime

Disclaimer: Paramount owns Voyager. gggggggrrrrrrrrrrr But, they don't own my imagination or my computer system. *g*

Rating: PG

Author's Note: I thought of this while I was trying to rid myself of a bad dream. This came into existence because of a rebelling muse that thought it would be funny to take the one day I wanted to type a bunch and have me write a fic. Feedback is adored! wickedmoonchild@hotmail.com. And, NO SEQUELS! *g*

Nighttime

by Lissa Pearl

Kathryn had been sleeping peacefully, well, peacefully for her. It had taken her two hours of tossing and turning to fall into the land of nod. She had been asleep for only an hour. Then she heard muffled movement and a voice just on the other side of the wall. It took her a couple of moments to even realize she was awake. Before she knew what she was doing, Kathryn was pulling on her robe and walking to her door. When she peeked out into the corridor, she was pleased to find it empty, if too bright for her tastes.

Quickly, Kathryn walked over to her destination and keyed in the override code. The doors slid open obediently. Softly, she crept to his bed. His covers were a tangled mess on the floor. A fine sheen of sweat covered his face and bare chest. He was thrashing and moaning, his face tight with pain. Kathryn went to him and sat on the edge of his bed.

"Chakotay," she whispered, brushing her fingers along his cheek. His eyes snapped open and suddenly, Kathryn found herself pulled tightly in his arms. Chakotay was breathing hard, his heart racing against his chest so hard that it felt like it could burst. She wrapped her arms around him. Under her hands, his skin was flaming hot.

"What was it about?" Kathryn queried gently. Chakotay didn't speak, he just held her closer. He leaned his head on her shoulder. As his pulse and breathing slowed, Kathryn was able to regain some of her breathing capacity. She ran her fingers comfortingly though his hair, waiting for him to tell her about his dream.

"We had been captured. I was tied up and you were unconscious. This man had his hands all over you," Chakotay growled. "For the longest time, I couldn't get loose. When I did, I attacked him. But nothing I did seemed to hurt him in the least," he said sounding vulnerable. "Then, he just pushed me down and called some guards. They held me in place while he punched me over and over again. He said that you were his now. I was so furious," Kathryn shuddered in his arms at the venom in his voice. "Soon, he left, taking the guards with him.......I ran to you," Chakotay broke his off story quickly.

"What is it?" Kathryn asked, pulling back far enough to see his face. It was etched in suffering.

"You were dead. Still warm, but gone. You wouldn't come back. I just held you and cried," Chakotay answered, pulling her back to him. He started rocking, taking her with him into the rhythm, the realness of the dream still too close. Kathryn felt hot tears on her shoulder. Her own eyes threatening to spill over, she kissed him. Light, feathery kisses on his face, neck, and shoulder. He barely seemed to notice.

"I'm fine. Nothing's happened. That won't happen. I'm safe," she comforted.

"It could happen," Chakotay said softly. Kathryn had nothing to say to that, simply because it was true. At any time, something horrible could happen to either one of them.

"It was just a dream. Everything is okay now," Kathryn struggled to find things to say that would calm him. After a while of sitting silently, Chakotay inhaled deeply, receiving the scent of lavender from Kathryn's hair. He reluctantly let his arms slide away from her.

"Thank you for coming over. You should go back to bed now," Chakotay said, trying to seem like he didn't desperately want her to stay, to keep an eye on her if nothing else.

"Think nothing of it," Kathryn replied, standing gracefully. Chakotay laid back down after pulling the covers back onto the bed. He was surprised when instead of leaving, Kathryn slid her robe off. In the faint starlight, her gown shimmered. Then Kathryn lifted the blankets and got in his bed. She snuggled right into his arms, without so much as a word.

"Um, Kathryn?"

"Ssshh, Chakotay," she said huskily, trying to find a comfortable position. Now, Kathryn was curled against him, using his shoulder as a pillow and her hand holding his.

"Why?" he blurted, "Not that I'm complaining by any means." She smiled, knowing that he couldn't see her face. Kathryn paused for a bit, figuring out what she should say. In the end, she decided the truth was best.

"Because, it feels right," Kathryn answered. Then, she leaned over and kissed Chakotay briefly on the lips.

As she was lying back down, he followed. He kissed her tenderly, losing himself in her. Nothing else existed except for her. Kathryn was very happy with that. Her hands roamed his back with a fierce possessiveness. When they broke the kiss for air, their eyes locked. Each knew what the other wanted from them, in life, on duty, for the future. For them, that night was never long enough.

The End.

Please send Feedback to wickedmoonchild@hotmail.com

Back to the main page.