Elisha T. Whittemore was born about 1815, in South Carolina. It is not known when he moved to Georgia, but he was living in Cherokee County, Georgia in 1850. His first wife's maiden name was Coward. Children from this union were James, born about 1844; Emaline, born September 25, 1844; Lafayette, born about 1846; and Martha, born about 1848. His second wife was Annie Craige, who he married March 6, 1849. Children from this union were Julia A., born about 1856; Sarah A. "Sally", born March 1857; and William R., born December 15, 1860.
It is not known whether Elisha died in Georgia or Mississippi. Part of the family mobed to Alcorn County, Mississippi between 1870 and 1872. Annie died December 28. 1873, and is buried in the Sardis Church Cememtery. Emaline, Julia Ann, Sarah and William settled in Alcorn County, Mississippi.
Emaline Whittemore married Thomas S. Yarber about 1865. Their children were: James Newton, born January 27, 1867; Andrew Quillin, born May 8, 1869; Julia Ann born May 29, 1871; Melissa Jane, born June 3, 1874; Sarah Agnes, born April 16, 1883; Verna May, born July 12, 1885; George Walter, born May 17, 1880; and Earnest Owen, born July 27, 1888. Emaline died March 12, 1919, and is buried in Piney Grove Cemetery in Prentiss County, Mississippi.
**Julia A. married Andrew W. Yarber about 1871. Their children were Eliza A., born about 1872; Paralee, born about 1875; and Charley A., born about 1878. They may have had other children. It is believed that Julia Ann and Andrew Yarber moved to Texas.
Sarah A. Whittemore married Albert Garney Toller October 29, 1878, in Alcorn County, Mississippi. Their children were Annie C. born August 1879; James N., born January 1888; Julia L., born June 1890; Ethel, born July 1894; and William, born 1899. Sarah is buried at Sardis Cemetery in Alcorn County, Mississippi, but has no marker.
William R. "Will" Whittemore married Mary Elizabeth Nash January 21,
1879, in Alcorn County, Mississippi. Their children were:
1. Annie Jane, born November 12, 1879, married William H. Rinehart.
2. Elisha T. "Tee", born January 6, 1881, married Nancy Lula Hardwick.
3. William E., born January 1883, married first Bonnie Armstrong and second to Lona ??. He
settled in Texarkana, Arkansas and is buried there.
4. Josie Luelar, born December 15, 1884, married Willon J. Burcham.
5. John Jonas, born February 14, 1887, married Cordelia Sellers.
6. Emily Caroline, born October 1888, married first Edward Vanderford and second to Charlie
7. Mary Lucy Bell, born June 1, 1891, married Calvin Carl Hearn.
8. Victoria "Vicky", born April 1893, married Cleveland C. Rinehart.
9. Dewitt, born July 31, 1895, and died June 18, 1897, buried in Sardis Cemetery.
10. Dora Dean, born November 1898, married Victor Barnes.
Will Whittemore was a farmer and worked at sawmills. He died November 19, 1935. Mary Elizabeth died April 14, 1939. They are buried in the Sardis Cemetery.
**Submitted to Families of Alcorn County by Margaret Vanstory.
**Julia A. is my line of Whittemores. She and Andrew had 10 children.
Family group sheet on Andrew and Julia to be uploaded very soon.
Back to Genealogy of Elaine Denton
Back to Denton and Related Families
Back to Granny's Place