Charles C. Alderton worked as a pharmacist for W. B. Morrison in
Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas. In 1885, he
invented a new drink formula which became very popular with Morrison's
customers. Morrison bought the formula from the young man and
named it "Dr. Pepper", possibly after Dr. Charles Pepper, a former
employer of Morrison's in Virginia. Morrison then sold the
formula to Robert S. Lazenby.
Lazenby, also a beverage chemist, had founded the Circle "A" Bottling Company in 1884 to bottle his invention, Circle A Ginger Ale. He added "Dr. Pepper's Phos-Ferrates" to the line as early as 1885 and incorporated the firm as the Artesian Manufacturing & Bottling Works in 1891 with Lazenby and Morrison among the original eight stockholders. Early on, the words " Phos-Ferrates" were dropped and the product became known simply as "Dr. Pepper". The corporation renamed the firm The Dr. Pepper Company in 1902 to reflect the growing sales and popularity of the drink. The Artesian Manufacturing & Bottling Company, however, remained the parent company. The original corporation declared bankruptcy in 1923, and new financial backers reincorporated the Dr. Pepper Company under Colorado law in Dallas, Texas. In 1940, the corporation disbanded Circle A Ginger Ale to concentrate on Dr. Pepper exclusively.
Dr. Pepper has had several distinctive changes in trademarks. Around 1905, the term "Phos-Ferrates" was dropped in favor of a Dr. Pepper logo with a tail sweeping back from the final "r" enclosing the words, "King of Beverages". The company changed the lettering style in 1913 and included the words, "Liquid Sunshine". Following the 1923 reorganization, Dr. Pepper bottles were standardized for the first time and replaced the old slogans with "Good for Life" in the tail. Four years later (1926), the company added the venerable 10-2-4 clock. During World War II, Dr. Pepper was advertised as a good between-meal snack, using expressions such as the "liquid bite" or "Drink a bite to eat at 10, 2 and 4 o'clock." A major change appeared in 1950 with the use of slanted block (italicized) letters which involved dropping the period after the "r" in Dr. The company introduced bounce letters (the third "p" was "bounced" up slightly) in 1958 and later changed to a broader-based italicized typestyle.
In 1981, Dr Pepper branched out with the
purchase of the soft drink division of Welch Foods Company including
the popular Welch's Grape Juice. The acquisition of the Canada
Dry Corporation followed in 1982. A final, major uniting
occurred in 1988 when Dr Pepper and Seven Up merged to form Dr
Pepper/Seven-Up Companies, Inc. The final purchase occurred in
1995 when Cadbury Beverages acquired Dr Pepper/Seven-Up.
Not Pictured: Dr Pepper. 8oz. XII Championship Alamo Dome San Antonio TX Dec 6 1997