Big Chief was a flavor brand. It is collectible for the Indian likenesses it has on its bottles, either embossed or painted. Many of the Big Chief bottles demand a higher
price for this reason, as well as the location of the bottler and the
bottle's rarity. I have seen many of
these bottles with impressive price tags, from $25 up to one bottle
that sold on eBay for over $400
From Mike Elling, Sharon, TN:
"Big Chief was an early flavors soda. I don't think it was ever a
product of Coca-Cola. However, many of the bottlers obtained the
Coca-Cola franchise, thus many of the bottles may contain the
"Property of Coca-Cola" line near the bottom of the bottle.
There was a vast variety of the bottles with differences in height,
facial features of Indian, writing, etc. This was probably due to each
bottler obtained his own bottles, so there wasn't any standard bottle.
Most bottles that I have seen are clear glass, the early ones were
thick glass and quite heavy. Petretti shows one bottle that is light
green. Bottles were very durable. Some from the 20's look like they
had never been used. These bottles are very collectible and very
attractive to display.
Since many of the bottlers of Coca-Cola used the Big Chief bottle for
flavors many have connected it with Coca-Cola. I think Big Chief
probably phased out with the event of Fanta and Sprite from Coca-Cola.."
- First: Big Chief. 8oz. Clear embossed. Pickens Beverage Co. Joplin MO
- Second: Big Chief. Aqua embossed. Dec 29 1925. Ottawa Kansas
- Third: Big Chief. Light aqua embossed. Purity Bottling Co. Bristow Okla.
- Fourth: Big Chief. 9oz. Clear embossed. Property of Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Clinton MO
G-91618 '56 "CROME"
- Fifth: Big Chief Quality Beverages. 10oz. ACL. Twin Falls Bottling Co. Fall Mills VA G-7806 '54
- Sixth & Seventh: Two examples of Big Chief embossed
- Eighth: Big Chief ACL bottle.
- Left: Big Chief Seltzer bottle
Click on the thumbnails above to see the full image
of an assort of miscellaneous Big Chief memorabilia.