|The Greek Islands||Iraklia HOME||Iraklia Hotels||Iraklia Beaches||Iraklia Travel||Iraklia Pictures|
The beaches of Iraklia in Greece
• In the port of Agios Georgios there is a small beach with some trees for shadow. The easiest option if you are staying in Agios Georgios. The water is clear and there are tavernas where you can have a drink or something to eat. The nearby beach of Livadi is the main beach of the island. This beach is about 200 meters long and has no facilities such as sunbeds and parasols. There are tavernas at the beach. Livadi beach can be reached from the harbour on foot in about 20 minutes, and you have to walk over a small hill. It is a sandbeach and it is shallow, so safe for small children. Besides these two main beaches there are a couple of others. Some can be reached on foot, some can only or better be reached by boat.
• Karvounolakos in the south of the island is a small beach between Merichas and Alimia. The colour of the water here is very special. Best reached by boat.
• Alimia Beach is a sandbeach and also has special blue waters. This beach is a special place for divers. In front of the coast of this beach lies a German plane from World War II.
• Vorini Spilia is a sandy beach in the north of the island not far from Agios Gorgios. The beach is not always very clean because of the strong northern winds that usually blow over it.
• Xilobatis Beach and Tribounas Beach are two more beaches in the north of Ikaria. There are many rocks on the beach and in the sea, but is is a good place for watching the sunset over Antiparos island.
• Other beaches that can be found on the island of Iraklia are Tourkopigado, Merichas, Ammoudi of Merichas, Vourkaria, Vala, Strogylos and Cavos tou Thodorou. Some of these beaches can be reached on foot, others are only accessible by boat. During high season there are daily boat trips / excursions to some of these difficult to reach beaches on Iraklia and also to beaches of nearby islands.
© Hans Huisman, www.angelfire.com/super2/greece 2012