Antiparos
The Greek Islands Antiparos HOME Antiparos Hotels Antiparos Sights Antiparos Pictures Antiparos Beaches
Walking Holidays Antiparos Weddings Alternative Antiparos Antiparos Travel Real Estate Restaurants

Some facts about the island Antiparos - Antiparos history

The land in the north of Antiparos is flat and fertile while small hills, with Profitis Helias (300m.) being the highest. The western coasts of the island are smooth and sandy, while the east ones are rough with small bays. The island is surrounded by a a lot of smaller islands. In the north there are Kavouras, Diplo and the rocks Kokkinos Tourlos and Mavros Tourlos. In the northern entrance of the channel there is Rematonisi (owned by Goulandri, with a beautiful house, palmtrees and beaches on it) and Saliagas with the lighthouse and the remains of a prehistoric settlement. Southwest we can find the biggest one, Despotiko, and a little further more Strogilo. All these islands except Rematonisi, are uninhabited and some of them are used as pastureland. On Despotiko a number of Early Cycladic tombs were excavated in the 19th and 20th century, and isolated remains of a Doric architecture were found in 1958. Systematic excavations now focus on the site Mantra, where a large building of the Classical period has been partially uncovered. Archaeological work has documented occupation from the Early Bronze Age through Roman times. Also see Despotico island and the Kastro of Antiparos town.


Hans Huisman, http://www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/ 2014
Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional