1957-05-29 Risked Electrocution to Save Another
Six months ago a Gwelo Scout, Robert Wilson (11) of Strand Street, saved another boy from electrocution when he draged clear of him a live electric cable that had fallen across his body.
This week he was shown by the Provincial Commissioner of the Boy Scout Association, Mr J.L.Carter, the citation awarding him the third highest Scout Award for gallantry - the Gilt Cross (picture above). Robert had the presence of mind to insulate himself from the dangerous electric current by hooking the cable clear with a loop of rope. The citation, which appears in the April edition of The Scouter, recognises his "gallantry and prompt action" on November 22, 1956, "in rescuing a boy who was caught on a live electric cable". Robert Wilson will be invested with the award later.
Ack:- The Bulawayo Chronicle Newspaper