Hello Everyone! My name is Mercedes
I am a Mastiff and beautiful Vancouver Island Canada is my home
What is a Mastiff you might be asking.....well this might help you out a bit.
There are a few differences of opinion on where the Mastiff originated, but most agree that the British are the creators of the breed as we know it today.
They were used as war dogs by the ancient Celts and accompanied their masters in to battle. When the Romans invaded Britain, they took the dogs back to Italy and used them to guard property and prisoners. In the Elizabethan Era, the Mastiff was used to fight wild animals (such as bears, tigers, etc.) for entertainment purposes. During the World Wars, Mastiffs were used to pull munitions carts on the fronts.
In America, they were usually owned by plantation owners who used them to guard their property.
Breeders today have bred the Mastiff for gentleness and have created an excellent companion who is large enough to deter intruders and yet gentle enough to be around children.
It is interesting to note that there is Mastiff blood in many of the current breeds you see today. Breeds such as the Bullmastiff, Rottweiler, Great Dane, Newfoundland, Saint Bernard, Great Pyrenees, etc., were created using Mastiffs.
My big brother Jake's webpage
My "Mom's" homepage
Please take a moment to view my Photo Album
My "mom" is busy working on a line of Mastiff Fashions.
Visit what is currently available here in my Catalogue. If you like what you see email me for costs. She can do them with blue, red, black or green stripes and will customize them to suit your personal preferences; she will even use your own pictures!
This page really has to be updated as so many more items are now available including pillow cases, tote bags, etc. etc.
TO GOD FROM THE DOG
Dear God, Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?
Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it still the same old story?
Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the mustang, the colt, the stingray, and the rabbit, but not ONE named for a dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice ride! Would it be so hard to rename the "Chrysler Eagle" the "Chrysler Beagle"?
Dear God" If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears him, is he still a bad dog?
Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent ID's, electromagnetic energy fields, and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?
Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.
Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to apologize?
Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember - to be a good dog.
And, finally, My last question . . .
- 1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they throw it up.
- 2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc., just because I like the way they smell.
- 3. I will not munch on "leftovers" in the kitty litter box, although they are tasty, they are not food.
- 4. The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
- 5. The sofa is not a face towel' neither are Mom and Dad's laps.
- 6. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.
- 7. My head does not belong in the refrigerator.
- 8. I will not bite the officer's hand when he reaches in for Mom's driver's license and registration.
- 9. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
- 10. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of saying "hello".
- 11. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the coffee table.
- 12. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house - not after.
- 13. I will not throw up in the car.
- 14. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.
- 15. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch when we have company.
- 16. The cat is not a squeaky toy' so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.
Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?
In case you ever wonder why your house needs a cat or a dog do be sure to check out this video Home Security.
Mercedes advice for humans.... We should act like a dog
If a dog were the teacher you would learn stuff like:
- When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
- When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
- Let others know when they've invaded your territory.
- Take naps.
- Stretch before rising.
- Run, romp, and play daily.
- Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
- Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
- On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
- On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
- When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
- No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout...run right back and make friends.
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
- Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
- Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
- When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook
Specialty Judge: Mr. Ramon Podesta
Sweepstake Judge: Mrs.Bonnie Keller
October 30th, 2004 in Abbotsford B.C
----- Event Results ----
Canadian Mastiff Club 2004 National Specialty, Abbotsford, BC
Judge: Mrs. Bonnie Keller.
12 to 18 Month Male: Resolute's Milton Starmask
Senior Puppy Female: Cedarhollow's Sweet Emotion
12 to 18 Month Female: Ch. Islandwest Mercedes
Best In Sweeps: Ch. Islandwest Mercedes
Best of Opposite: Resolute's Milton Starmask