Women's Football Team Uniform Descriptions
and Team Colors
These are the known team colors of several women's football teams over the years. If you know the team colors of other teams not listed, or if you'd like to offer corrections, please e-mail me, and I will put up the corrections as soon as possible.
- Los Angeles Dandelions: gold and white
- Toledo Troopers:
Detroit Demons: blue and silver
Columbus Pacesetters: crimson red and white
Middletown Mavericks: maroon and silver
Oklahoma City Dolls: royal blue, white and red
Lawton Tornadoes: black and gold
Dallas Bluebonnets: navy blue, royal blue and white
Fort-Worth Shamrocks: green and white
Tulsa Babes: blue and gold
Houston Herricanes: maroon and white
Cleveland Brewers: Navy Blue, Columbia blue and silver-gray
New York Fillies: While the newspaper accounts say Kelly green and gold, my study of color photos of the Fillies that accompanied a June 1972 Life magazine article show the colors to be more Hunter green (which is darker than Kelly green but not as dark as Green Bay Packers' green) and light old gold (the yellowish variety, not the San Francisco 49ers old olive brown take).
Midwest Cowgirls: Crimson, navy, and white
San Diego Lobos: (Speculative) navy blue, gold, and white
Battle Creek Rainbows: purple and white
Los Angeles Scandals: orange, black and white
Toronto Canadian Belles: maroon and gold?
Minnesota Vixens: (New For 1999!): fox red, arctic fox white, and fox-foot.
- 1971, speculative: navy blue and white
- 1973 to 1979: Kelly green and light gold
These are descriptions of the uniforms of women's football teams based on my viewing of photos in newspapers and magazines. Unfortunately, since I use the computers at my local public library, which are not yet hooked up to any scanners, I am unable to post pictures and uniform graphics as of yet.
Therefore, if you have any photos (preferably color) from women's football games of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s that do a good job of showing jerseys, pants, socks, helmet logos, etc., please scan those pictures and e-mail them to me for inclusion. Also, if you remember anything about the uniforms of other women's teams that are not listed in this section, please let me know.
Los Angeles Dandelions
- Helmet: Metallic gold with a single 3/4" Kelly green center stripe
- Jersey #1: Bright Dandelion yellow/gold with green numerals on the front and back. There is no striping trim.
- Jersey #2: Green with white full block numerals and white-light gold-white UCLA shoulder loop stripes.
- Pants: White pants have a one-and-a-half inch wide set of Kelly green-light gold-Kelly green side stripes.
- Socks: White socks have a trio of one-inch wide stripes in Kelly green-light gold-Kelly green pattern.
Los Angeles (California) Ducks--fictitious team from the 1978 "Angels in the Backfield" episode of Charlie's Angels
- Helmet: Same as Los Angeles Dandelions, except there is an extended black D on each side of the helmet. On just one helmet the striping is 3/4" green, one-inch black, and 3/4" green; all the other helmets have a single black stripe.
- The rest of the uniform: The rest of the uniform is the same as that of the Dandelions, but substitute black for green.
- Helmet: Dark blue with no striping or decals
- Jersey: Royal blue with white "Northwestern" style stripes around each sleeve and white block numerals
- Pants: Navy blue pants have a pair of narrow white stripes down each side.
- Socks: There is a pair of blue stripes around the top of the white socks.
Oklahoma City Dolls
- Helmet: White shell with the word "DOLLS" in red extended Clarendon-style type letters and arranged in an arc. There is a red-blue-red stripe down the center from front to back.
- Home Jersey: Royal blue with white-red-white UCLA shoulder loop stripes and white block numerals
- Away Jersey: White with blue-red-blue UCLA shoulder loop stripes and blue block numerals (As seen in the 1981 made-for-TV movie, The Oklahoma City Dolls.)
- Pants: White pants have one-inch-wide red side stripes flanked by narrower royal blue stripes.
- Socks: White socks have blue-red-blue striping around the top portion.
New York Fillies
- Helmet: solid metallic gold shell with no striping or decals.
- Home Jersey: hunter green with light old gold plain block numerals and Old gold-white-Old gold UCLA shoulder loop stripes.
- Away Jersey: Solid white with dark green plain block numerals. There is no striping.
- Pants: Yellowish light old gold pants have an embroidered cartoon picture of a pony-tailed horse wearing a leather football helmet on each side near the waist. There are no stripes on the pants.
- Socks: Home socks are hunter green with a trio of one-inch gold stripes edged in white. The away socks are solid light old gold.
- Overall, this uniform seems to closely resemble that of the Arena Football League's Minnesota Fighting Pike of 1996.
- Helmet 1974: White shell with a pair of crimson red stripes. There is no logo decal.
- Helmet circa 1975-: Red shell with a single white stripe. There is no logo decal.
- Home Jersey 1974: Red with a pair of wide white stripes around each sleeve near the shoulder, white overlapping v-neck collar, and white block numbers.
- Home Jersey for all other seasons: Solid red with white block numbers. There is no striping on this jersey.
- Away Jersey: Solid white with red full block numbers and no striping trim.
- Pants: solid white with no striping trim whatsoever.
- Socks: the white socks have a pair of closely spaced one-inch-wide red stripes around the top portion.
- NOTE:The Columbus Pacesetters' uniforms from circa 1976 on seem to closely resemble those of the University of Alabama football teams.
- Helmet: Either plain white or white with crimson and navy center stripes. A photo in Life magazine shows different Cowgirls' players wearing both kinds of helmets for the same game.
- Jersey: White long sleeved jersey has crimson red full block numbers. There is no striping trim.
- Pants: White with a single one-inch crimson red stripe down each side.
- Helmet 1971: (This is purely speculative.) Navy blue shell with a pair of narrow white center stripes and two overlapping white capital T's on each side.
- Jersey 1971: Solid navy blue three-quarter sleeved jerseys have bold white plain block numbers.
- Pants 1971: Solid white pants have no striping.
- NOTE:Based on photographic evidence I've seen, the 1971 Toledo Troopers' uniform seemed to closely resemble the University of Toledo football team's uniforms of the time.
- Home Helmet 1973-1979: Light Green Bay Gold helmet has a one-inch Kelly green center stripe flanked by narrower white stripes. From 1973 to circa 1975, the decal consisted simply of two overlapping green capital T's. This image was replaced by 1976 with a green oval with overlapping white capital T's inside.
- Home Jersey circa 1973 to 1979: Kelly green three-quarter sleeved cotton-durene jersey has light gold-white-light gold UCLA shoulder loop stripes and light gold full block numbers.
- Home pants circa 1973 to 1979: light gold pants with green-white-green side stripes.
- Away Jersey: Light gold short-sleeved mesh away jersey has the word "TROOPERS" in green full block letters on the front above the green full block numbers and green-white-green-white-green "Lombardi's Packers" style sleeve stripping halfway around the sleeves.
- Away Pants: Kelly green pants had white and light gold striping down each side.
- Away socks: Light gold socks had striping identical to that on the gold jerseys.
- Away helmet: Kelly green helmet has white and gold striping down the center and a gold oval edged in white with italicized overlapping green capital T's inside.
- Helmet: Champagne silver with a single maroon stripe down the center. There is no logo decal.
- Jersey: solid maroon with white full block numbers thinly edged in gray.
- Pants: Plain light gray.
Minneapolis Maids (fictitious team from ABC movie, The Oklahoma City Dolls)
- Helmet: Black helmet has the word "MAIDS" in light gold extended Clarendon-style letters arranged in an arc.
- Jersey: Black jersey has light gold full block numbers and a pair of one-inch "Dallas Cowboys" style stripes around each sleeve.
- Pants: The pants are identical to those of the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers: light gold with a two-inch wide black stripe down each side.
- Helmet: White shell with a silver-gray center stripe flanked by narrower Columbia Blue stripes. On each side of the helmet is an interlocking CB logo in navy blue and Columbia blue.
- Jersey: Light navy blue with white full block numbers edged in light blue (gray?) and blue/gray-white-blue/gray striping on rib knit cuffs and neck.
- Pants: Light gray pants have narrow navy-white-navy striping down the side seams.
San Diego Lobos
- Helmet: White shell with navy-light gold-navy center stripe and a wolf's head superimposed over a football logo that is similar to that of the Arena Football League Florida Bobcats.
- Home Jersey: Navy blue three-quarter sleeved jersey has gold shoulders and sleeves and light gold full block numbers.
- Away Jersey: White away jersey has navy Clarendon-style type numbers similar to current UCLA jerseys and a navy contrast v-neck. Another version of this jersey has navy-gold-navy-gold-navy "Lombardi's Packers" style sleeve striping and no contrast color neck trim.
- Pants: White with navy-gold-navy side stripes
- Socks: White with navy-gold-navy striping around the top portion.