Years Played: 1977, 1978
Team Colors: Blue and Gold
Head coach: Bill Van Burkleo
Owner: Neil Bogan
Some Facts About the Tulsa Babes
- Approximately fifty women turned out for the Babes' first tryouts on April 1, 1977.
- Some of the women who originally tried out dropped out once they found that football was rougher than they thought it would be.
- The Babes' opening night roster consisted of thirty-five players
- The Tulsa Babes played their home games at Skelly Stadium on the campus of the University of Tulsa.
- The Babes' first game was against the Houston Herricanes.
- According to a 1984 Tulsa World article, "[The Tulsa Babes'] only compensation was a paid insurance policy, two tickets to home games, and traveling expenses."
Much of this information about the Tulsa Babes comes from the following sources:
- "Babes will 'amaze' fans, says coach." A Tulsa newspaper. (Exact date and print source unknown.) Circa 1977.
- Krehbiel, Randy. "From Oilers to Babes and Thunder, Pro Game Has Kicked Around Tulsa." Tulsa World. February 19, 1984. (page unknown)
If you have any additional information about the Tulsa Babes, or if you have any Tulsa Babes game or player photos you can scan and send as .JPG file attachments, please e-mail me. Thank you.