BY-LAWS, Tidewater Grotto
I.The name of this organization shall be the Tidewater Grotto of the National Speleological Society.
II. The purpose of this organization shall be the same as those of the National Speleological Society with the additional purpose of organizing NSS members in the Tidewater area of Virginia and North Carolina better to promote the objectives of the NSS.
Members are classified as follows:
1. Full Members are individuals who are NSS members and have met all of the requirements in III. B. Full Members have all privileges of the Tidewater Grotto including right to vote, hold office, serve as committee chairman, receive grotto publications and have access to all data, records and equipment.
2. Associate Members are individuals who are not yet members of the NSS but have met requirements of III. B. Associate Members MUST become full members within six months. Associate Members have all the privileges of full membership except that of holding elective office, voting on NSS matters and representation in the Congress of Grottos.
3. Honorary Members are individuals to who membership is awarded by the Executive Committee. Honorary Members have all privileges of associate membership.
B. Basic Memberships Requirements:
1. Individuals must participate in at least one caving trip with one or more grotto members and attend at least two meetings prior to being considered for membership.
2. Individuals must be nominated by a member in good standing.
3. Individuals must be approved by a majority of the membership present.
IV. The Tidewater Grotto shall be governed by an Executive Committee made up of the following officers; Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and Director (all members in good standing) to be elected by the membership. Terms of office shall be the fiscal year. The Executive Committee shall have the complete power to manage the business, to formulate by-laws, to raise funds in any manner not inconsistent with NSS policy and to perform all other necessary functions. Decisions or actions of the Executive Committee may be overruled by a two-thirds majority of the membership. Officers may succeed themselves. The duties of these officers shall be those normally assigned such officers and these duties shall be reviewed by the Executive Committee quarterly.
V. Meetings of the membership shall be held at least ten times a year. Nominations for Officers will take place in January. The annual meeting for the election of officers is to be held in February. At the March meeting, new Officers begin their term. April 1st, membership dues will be made payable to "Tidewater Grotto" and collected by the Treasurer. The Executive Committee will determine the time, place and date for such meetings. A special meeting may be called by the Chairman upon request of at least five members."
VI. A quorum for meetings of the membership to transact business will be five persons of whom at least two are NOT members of the Executive Committee.
VII. The fiscal year of the organization will be April 1st through March 31st. The Executive Committee can determine the annual dues subject to the approval of the membership.
VIII. The Constitution and By-Laws of the NSS shall be binding on the Tidewater Grotto. Any action inconsistent therewith shall be null and void. This includes provisions under which a member may be expelled.
IX. Any property of the NSS or held in the name of the Tidewater Grotto of the NSS shall revert to the NSS in the event of dissolution.
X. Roberts Rules of Order, Revised shall be parliamentary authority for this organization insofar as they are not inconsistent with the Constitution and By-Laws as adopted.
XI. Amendments to these By-Laws shall be by two-thirds majority vote of those members present at any meeting called by the Executive Committee expressly for the purpose or by written consent of a majority of the total membership.
(As amended and accepted January 30, 2003.)