As most surfers would know, adult forums and BBS's unfortunately tend to be a magnet for the dross of the penny-collecting spammer brigade, some of whom hammer the same sites daily using automated software.
These pointers should alert you to a post being suspicious:
- The use of all caps and/or exclamation marks in the post's subject, e.g "HOT XXX MOVIES!!!"
- The word 'lolita' appearing in the subject.
- The poster using a female's name
- One or more of the following in
the address, which usually indicates the spammer is getting a penny from a 'sponsor'
for the click -
- An address with nothing after the
.com or .net, which often indicates a paysite.
- The address first leading
to a 'click-thru' page when you click it, that is, a page usually blank or containing
a few trash-site banners, with a text link saying something like "Click
here to continue" or "Enter here". If you do click then you are
almost always then shuffled onto some other site via a referral code, which
pays the spammer a penny for hauling you in.
Spammers often use the following free non-adult webspace providers for this purpose, so beware of an address containing one of the following:
- The address immediately redirecting
to a completely different URL when you click the link. Watch your status bar
(the horizontal gray bar on top of the bar containing the Start button, task
bar, system tray, etc) and address bar when you first click a link, to spot