- KHAYAL DARPAN: A feature-length documentary film exploring the development of classical music in Pakistan post-1947, a film that evolved out of 6-months sojourn of the Indian fimmaker in Pakistan. 105 minutes, 2006. More details
- JANNAT KI RAIL (The Train to Heaven): A 7-minutes experimental music video celebrating the spirit of India's popular Islam, illustrated by popular devotional art and music. DVCAM, 2006. More details here...
- Agriculture and the small farmer in India: A Bollywood perspective: 23 mins, DV, a video presentation exploring the developments in Indian agriculture and economy as depicted in popular Indian cinema over the years. Produced by Amitabha Sadangi, Bibek Debroy and Amir Ullah Khan
- The Kesar Saga: Directed by Iffat Fatima (and partly shot by Yousuf), this film looks at the living culture associated with the traditional folk tale Kesar in Ladakh and Kargil. Betacam
- EFBS – A Safer Pest Control: A training film for farmers on reducing the use of harmful chemical pesticides while growing vegetables such as eggplant. Dubbed in 5 Indian languages including Hindi, Bengali, Oriya, Gujarati and Khasi. DV/Betacam, AVRDC-Taiwan, 2004
- A Life in Science - YASH PAL: A 42-minute documentary on the legendary career of eminent Indian scientist, Prof. Yash Pal - delves into subjects like High-Energy Particle Physics, History of Indian Science and Technology, Satellite Communications, Education and Philosophy. Betacam/DV (AJKMCRC, Jamia) 2004. More details here...
- PROJECT FOR GENOCIDE:
A short film about the ill-effects of a hydro-electric dam being
constructed in the Himalayan region of Tehri Garhwal over the Bhagirathi
river. Produced by Yousuf Saeed, Vimal Bhai and Surajit Sarkar. 25
minutes, DVCAM, January 2002.
OF CHANGE (I, II) : Shot and edited two films about the process of
change in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh brought about by
the construction of two highways. Directed by Surajit
Sarkar for UGC-CEC.(May 1999)
WEEPS IN JADUGODA : Edited and voiced this hour long documentary about the
effects of Uranium mining on the tribal people of
Jadugoda in Jharkhand (Bihar). Directed by Sri Prakash of
Ranchi. (April 1999). Participated and won the third prize at the Himal South Asian Film Festival, Kathmandu, Nepal in September 1999.
- BASANT : Shot, edited and directed this short film about how a primarily Hindu festival of spring called Basant is celebrated by some muslims in North India. 12 mins., Betacam (Oct.1997 CEC-UGC). This film was an entry in Mumbai International Film
Festival(MIFF'98) of short films, animation and Video
in March 1998. Also participated in the 6th
International Short Film Festival, Dhaka (Bangladesh) 1999. Also screened at various
schools in Delhi. See more details. This film can be watched/downloaded at google video.
- BUDDHA IN
ZANSKAR : Shot, edited and directed this short
film introducing the institution of Buddhist monastery
situated in Zanskar, Ladakh. 12 minutes, Betacam (Dec.1998
- GHALIB : Directed and edited this short film introducing Urdu
poet Mirza Ghalib's poetry and letters. 15 mins., Betacam
- SUFI SAMA : Directed this short film on Sufi music,
especially Qawwali, and its connections with Indian
classical music. 15 Min., Betacam (June 1998 CEC-UGC).
- MUHARRAM : Directed and edited this short film on Muharram
(a Muslim occasion) being observed by a small community of Shias in Amroha, Uttar Pradesh. 12 mins., Betacam (May 1998 CEC-UGC).
LADAKH : Shot, edited and directed (with
Iffat Fatima) this series of 5 documentary films that study the concept of change in 5 ethnic regions of Ladakh, Himalayas. 5x30
min. Betacam (June
1997-Doordarshan 3). The first film of this
series "Changthang" participated in Mumbai
International Film Festival 1998.
SAKAY TO BOOJH (Guess
If You Can) : A 4 part documentary series on the
contemporary image of 13-century poet Amir Khusrau. (with
Iffat Fatima) 4x30 min. Betacam (Jan.1997-Doordarshan III).
READY : Co-edited
a documentary film raising questions about rice
cultivation and market economy. directed by S.Sarkar
& Vani Subramaniam. 45 mins, Betacam (May 1996-ODA,
Oxford). It has participated in many international film
festivals such as Himal, Kathmandu (1998), MIFF, Mumbai (1998), Geneva (1997).
THROUGH THE WESTERN HIMALAYAS : Shot, edited and directed (with Iffat Fatima) this documentary film
about the folk culture of Kargil, in Ladakh, Himalayas. 30 min. High
band (Aug.1995-J&K Tourism) .
HIMALA : Shot, edited and directed this 5 part
series on the ethnic and geographic variety in the region of Kargil/Ladakh. 5x30 min. High band. Hindustani
SOLAR ECLIPSE - Scripted
and edited a docu-drama explaining the phenomenon of 1995
total solar eclipse in India. 15 min. Betacam
(Aug.1995-N.C.S.T.C. New Delhi).
- GIST OF
THE MATTER -
Edited and co-produced this educational documentary about the new multilingual computer
package called GIST-card. 24-mins. Betacam.
(Sept.1993-N.C.S.T.C. New Delhi).
POINT - As
part of a team I was involved in the conceiving, creative
visualization, editing & co-production of first 30
episodes of this popular science series. It had various
in-depth stories on environment, rural development,
current technology in India & abroad, and about human
body.It was anchored by actors like Naseeruddin Shah, Mallika Sarabhai and Girish Karnad etc. 30x26
min. High band. (Aug.1991-May 1993) Doordarshan/Times TV
and edited another 15-episodes of this programme. Telecast
- LAMBA AADMI - Scripting and assistance
for a short fiction film based on an Urdu short story. Part
of a film production workshop organized by Max Mueller Bhawan,
New Delhi. 18 mins., 16mm colour (1991).
Visualization and computer graphics for an
instructional/corporate documentary about Financing by
Bills 30-min. Betacam. (1991-Reserve Bank of India/MCRC).
NEW VISION -
Research, camera and editing of this 3-part documentary series on Medical Imaging
Techniques, like Sonography, CATScan and MRI etc. 3x24 mins. U-matic (July-Sept.1990-UGC telecast / MCRC)
- THE GENE
(with Aradhana Kohli Kapoor) A video documentary on Genetic
engineering. 24 min. U-matic. (May 1990-Final Student Video,
Ektara : An Initiative to Bring South Asia's Plural Cultural Traditions into Focus