CRAB COMBINATION SOUP
Categories: Chinese, seafood, soups
Yield: 6 servings
1 oz dried mushrooms
6 oz fresh or frozen crabmeat
4 oz frozen sea scallops
1/2 cc drained whole or sliced bamboo shoots
8 green onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
6 cc chicken broth
1/2 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
3 tablespoon cornstarch
6 tablespoon water
1 1/2 tablespoon rice wine
4 tablespoon soy sauce
2 egg whites
1. Place mushrooms in bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain. Remove and discard stems. Cut caps into thin slices.
2. Flake crabmeat. Rinse scallops with water, drain and cut into thin slices. Cut bamboo shoots into thing strips. Chop green onions.
3. Heat oil in small omelet or crepe pan. Add eggs and tilt pan so egg completely covers bottom. Cook over medium-high heat until egg is set. Loosen edges and turn omelet over to cook other side. Remove from pan, roll up and cut into thing strips.
4. Pour broth into 3-quart saucepan. Cook over high heat until broth boils. Stir in mushrooms, crabmeat, scallops, bamboo shoots, onions, sliced eggs, ginger and pepper. Return soup to boil.
5. Combine cornstarch, 4 tablespoons of the water, the wine and soy sauce. Stir mixture into soup. Return soup to boil.
6. Beat egg whites and remaining 2 tablespoons water. Drizzle egg whites slowly into soup while stirring soup vigorously.