SC 510 to 519
< 500 to 509 | Home | 520 to 529 >
|SC 510 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 510's:||
SC 510: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing. Ran from US 501 (current SC 319) Aynor south to SC 90 (current US 378) Pee Dee Crossroads.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 510 was extended north to SC 917 (current S-26-23), for a grand total of 15 miles.
SC 510 was downgraded to S-26-24 and S-26-32 in 1948.
|SC 511 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 511's:||
SC 511: Appeared between 1925-27 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 51 (current SC 261) Outland south to SC 178 (current US 17 ALT) Jamestown.
In 1939, SC 511 was extended south to US 17-701 near Mt. Pleasant. Jamestown to the Wando River was new routing, but below Cainhoy was a replacement for SC 172. The 1939 Official Map shows SC 511 as proposed between SC 402 Huger and Cainhoy.
In 1940, SC 511 was opened between Cainhoy and SC 402. Also, SC 511 north was rerouted from near Rhems to end at SC 51-175 (current SC 261) Hemingway. The old route to Outland became part of SC 512 (today this is the southernmost 2 miles of SC 513 and much of S-22-5). This made SC 511 73 miles long.
Also, SC 511 was rerouted at Jamestown to multiplex 2 miles west on SC 179 (today's US 17 ALT-SC 45) then head south to Huger via what is now a forest service road to Bethera, then some of S-8-125 and more unnumbered route to Huger Bridge, then today's SC 402 down to Huger. The old way to Huger became unnumbered, though is partly SC 41 today.
Between 1943-46, SC 511 was taken off the SC 179 multiplexed and routed more directly to Huger Bridge, leaving behind secondary roads.
In 1947 or 1948, SC 511 was given a much straighter route from Jamestown to Cainhoy, leaving behind more secondary road (which eventually became parts of SC 402, S-8-125 and S-8-48). Also, SC 511 was rerouted in the Rhems area. Instead of following the Williamsburg-Georgetown Line all the way to SC 512, SC 511 cut north sooner. This left behind S-22-37.
SC 511 was renumbered in its entirety to SC 41 in 1951 or 1952.
SC 511 was the highest number in use until 1928.
SC 511's crossing of the Santee River changed periodically: 1932, 1933, 1942, 1948 (no crossing); 1935, 1936, 1938, 1939, 1940 (free ferry); 1949 (bridge open)
US 52: 0 - 0
SC 261 WB: 11.9 - 11.9
SC 261 EB: 2.1 - 14
SC 41, SC 51: 9 - 23
SC 513: 0.8 - 23.8
Creation: Appeared in 1928 as a new primary route. Ran from SC 51 (current S-22-4/S-22-6 jct) northwest to SC 511 (current SC 512-513 jct) Union Crossroads.
Adjustments: SC 512 was extended north to SC 51 Outland in 1940, replacing a rerouted SC 511.
In 1948, SC 512 was rerouted at Union Crossroads to continue west as new primary routing to SC 175 (current SC 261) Indiantown. The part from Union Crossroads to Outland became S-22-5 (also part of SC 513 today)
Between 1959-61, SC 512 east was truncated to its current end at SC 513, leaving behind S-22-4. Also, SC 512 was extended west as new primary routing to US 52 Cades. This may have been an upgrade to S-45-28, and had been part of SC 94 prior to 1948.
Improvements: Fully paved since 1951-52; no multilane sections
Comment: SC 512 traverses Williamsburg County through the sleepy villages of Cades and Indiantown.
SC 41, SC 51: 0 - 0
SC 512: 0.8 - 0.8
Georgetown-Williamsburg Line: 1.5 - 2.3
SC 261: 6.4 - 8.7
Creation: Appeared in 1949 as a resurrected primary route. Ran from SC 41-51 to US 701 Yauhannah (21 miles). From SC 51 (current SC 261) east to US 701 was previously SC 707, while the west half had been SC 513 in 1947.
Adjustments: SC 513 originally appeared in 1940 as new routing, running from SC 512 (current SC 513/S-22-5 jct) to SC 51-707 (current SC 261)
In 1948, SC 513 was downgraded to secondary status.
Between 1959-61, SC 513 east was truncated to its current end at SC 261, leaving behind SC 261 to continue east to Yauhannah
Improvements: Fully paved since 1949; no multilane sections
Comment: SC 513 EB technically never enters Williamsburg County, as the county line is in the center of the road for the N-S piece of SC 513.
|SC 514 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 514's:||
SC 514: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing in the Florence area. Ran from US 52 (just south of today's I-95) south across US 76, then due east to US 52-301, SC 51.
The 6 miles of SC 514 was downgraded to S-21-29 in 1948 and to another secondary route that eventually became part of SC 51 Second Loop Road.
|SC 515 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 515's:||
SC 515: Appeared in 1939 as new routing (although it had once been part of original SC 44). Ran from SC 511 Andrews west 5 miles to about Earle.
In 1940, SC 515 was extended west to Trio.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 515 was extended west to end at SC 261 (current SC 377) Lane. Also, SC 515 was extended east from Andrews along the railroad, then looped back down to US 521 out near Sampit. This brought SC 515 to its longest length at 26 miles.
In 1948, SC 515 was downgraded to S-22-20, S-22-22 and S-45-16.
|SC 516 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 516's:||
SC 516: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 5 (current US 321) near Fairfax northeast to SC 641 near Jennys, a total of 9 miles.
SC 516 was downgraded to S-3-40 in 1948.
SC 703: 0 - 0
US 17: 4 - 4
Creation: Appeared in 1993 as new construction. Ran as it does today. This is the 2nd SC 517.
Improvements: Paved since inception; built with a 3rd middle lane that is open only during evacuation emergencies.
Comment: SC 517, the Isle of Palms Connector, provides an alternative to SC 703 to getting to the Isle of Palms or Sullivans Island.
The high rise bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway provides an interesting view SB of the narrow barrier island and the ocean.
|Previous SC 517's:||
SC 517 #1: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 3 near Whaley east to SC 5 (current US 321) Sweden
In 1948, the 12 miles of SC 517 were downgraded to S-6-38 and S-5-29.
|SC 518 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 518's:||
SC 518: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing. Ran from US 76-SC 514 west of Florence east to Claussen. Also, a second discontinuous piece popped up as a 3 mile spur south off SC 51 below Evergreen.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 518 was extended west to SC 403 Oats. Also, the other piece was extended south to SC 54 (current US 378) at the Lynches River bridge for a total distance of 36 miles.
SC 518 was renumbered as S-16-19, S-21-13, S-21-46, and S-21-34 in 1948. I believe this was the longest route to be totally downgraded and never resurrected.
|SC 519 not currently assigned|
|Previous SC 519's:||
SC 519: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 511 west 1 mile to Cainhoy.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 519 was extended west to Remleys Point (Daniel Island).
In 1948, the 12 miles of SC 519 were downgraded to S-8-33.