-->
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Highways of South Carolina SC 400 to 409 
< 390 to 399 | Home | 410 to 429 >

 
SC 400
From: US 321SC 332 Norway (Orangeburg County)
To: SC 4 west of Orangeburg (Orangeburg County)
Total Length: 12.2 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 321, SC 332: 0 - 0
SC 4: 12.2 - 12.2
Creation: Created in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran as it does today.
Adjustments: None
Comment: I drove SC 400 for the first time on 1/16/05. It is a quiet ride through western Orangeburg County.
U.S. 401
SC 401  not currently assigned
Previous SC 401's: SC 401 #1: Appeared by 1930 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 40 (now SC 703) Mt. Pleasant over the Pitt St. Bridge (now a fishing pier) to Sullivans Island and the Isle of Palms. SC 401 ran right in front of Fort Moultrie.
In 1933, SC 401 was renumbered as SC 703. Today, about half of SC 401's route is now S-10-100 in Mt. Pleasant and Middle Street in Sullivans Island.

SC 401 #2: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 215 Monticello west 3 miles to the Sumter National Forest.
In 1948, SC 401 was downgraded to S-20-11. Today, the Monticello Reservoir covers the middle portion of old SC 401, with the west side now part of S-20-257.
SC 402
From: US 17 ALTUS 52 near Moncks Corner (Berkeley County)
To: SC 41 Huger (Berkeley County)
Total Length: 16 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 17 ALT, US 52: 0 - 0
SC 41: 16 - 16
Creation: Appeared in 1951 or 1952 as a resurrected state route. Ran as it does today.
Adjustments: SC 402 originally appeared in 1928, running from US 17 (now US 52) east to SC 40 (current US 17) near Whitehall Terrace. The 1932 Official Map shows SC 402 as being 34 miles long.
In 1939, SC 402 east was truncated to the newly built SC 511 (current S-8-125) at Huger Bridge, dropping SC 402's length to 13 miles. The old SC 402 became a few miles of SC 511, and the rest became secondary routing (eventually becoming today's S-8-598 and S-10-98).
In 1948, SC 402 was downgraded to a secondary route before being resurrected in 1951 or 1952. The resurrection also replaced a piece of SC 511.
In the late 1980's, SC 402's north end was altered to meet US 17 ALT-US 52 near the Tail Race Canal Bridge. From 1929 until then, SC 402 used to end at the US 17 ALT-US 52 split location.
Improvements: Fully paved when resurrected; no multilane segments
Comment: SC 402 is shown only as projected route east of Huger on Official Maps 1932-38.
On US 17 ALT-52 the sign for Huger says it is 20 miles even though it is only 16. It has been like this back to at least 1977.

 
 
SC 403
From: SC 341 near Lake City (Florence County)
To: US 15 Lees Crossroads (Darlington County)
Total Length: 36.7 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 341: 0 - 0
SC 541: 5.1 - 5.1
US 301: 2.8 - 7.9
Sumter-Florence Line: 0.2 - 8.1
SC 53: 3.3 - 11.4
Florence-Sumter Line: 0.9 - 12.3
I-95 (exit 150): 3.3 - 15.6
US 76 WB: 3.8 - 19.4
US 76 EB: 1.7 - 21.1
Darlington-Florence Line: 2 - 23.1
SC 340: 0.7 - 23.8
US 401: 4.9 - 28.7
SC 34: 7.8 - 36.5
US 15: 0.2 - 36.7
Creation: Appeared in 1933 as a renumbering of SC 301, running from US 76 Timmonsville north to US 15 Lees Crossroads.
Adjustments: In 1941 or 1942, SC 403 was extended south as new routing to SC 407 (current S-21-35).
In 1948, SC 403 south was truncated back to its original routing, leaving behind S-21-38.
Between 1968-70, SC 403 was extended south to its current end at SC 341. This replaced part of SC 53 (Timmonsville to Hobbs Crossroads and all of SC 309 (Hobbs Crossroads to SC 341)
Improvements: Fully paved in 1939; no multilane segments
Comment: SC 403 is blown off by I-20, which does have a closeby exit with US 401. Otherwise, SC 403 is quiet, serving the small communities of Oats and Sardis, along with an actual town, Timmonsville.

 
 
SC 404  not currently assigned
Previous SC 404's: SC 404: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 191 east 4 miles to SC 231 (current S-19-17) in eastern Edgefield County.
In 1948, SC 404 was downgraded as part of S-19-75.

 
 
SC 405  not currently assigned
Previous SC 405's: SC 405: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new routing. Ran as a 2 mile connector between US 15-15A near Hartsville to SC 151-349 Finns Crossroads.
In 1948, SC 405 was downgraded to a secondary route, but later became the eastern half of the SC 151 Hartsville Bypass.

 
 
SC 406  not currently assigned
Previous SC 406's: SC 406: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new routing. Ran from SC 215 west to Shelton, 4 miles away.
In 1948, SC 406 was downgraded to S-20-33. SC 406 was fully paved upon creation, a rare instance of a paved route being downgraded in 1948.

 
 
SC 407  not currently assigned
Previous SC 407's: SC 407: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new routing. Ran from US 52-301 south of Florence to SC 403 (current S-21-38) Sparrow Swamp, 8 miles away.
In 1948, SC 407 was downgraded to S-21-35.

 
 
SC 408  not currently assigned
Previous SC 408's: SC 408: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new routing. Ran from SC 54-341 (current US 378 Business) Lake City west to the Williamsburg-Clarendon County line (just short of then-SC 541), 8 miles away.
In 1948, SC 408 was downgraded to S-21-36 and S-45-33.
SC 409  not currently assigned
Previous SC 409's: SC 409: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as upgraded routing. Ran from SC 246 east across Buzzards Roost Lake (Lake Greenwood today) to SC 225 (current S-30-29) Isle of Pines, 4 miles away. This had been part of SC 10's original route until the mid-30's.
In 1948, SC 409 was downgraded to S-24-39 and S-30-33.

Last Update: 1 February 2005

Previous: SC 390 - 399  |  Next: SC 410 - 429
Top  |  South Carolina Hwy Index Home