-->
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Highways of South Carolina SC 280 to 289 
< 270 to 279 | Home | 290 to 299 >

 
 
SC 290
From: SC 802 Shell Point (Beaufort County)
To: US 21 Burton (Beaufort County).
Total Length: 4.5 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 802: 0 - 0
SC 170: 3.2 - 3.2
US 21: 1.3 - 4.5
Creation: Created as new primary routing in 1931 or 1932. Ran 6 miles from SC 28 (current US 21) Burton down to Parris Island.
Adjustments: SC 280 was truncated to its current end in 1957 or 1958, replaced by a piece of SC 281 (SC 802 today).
Improvements: SC 290 was fully paved by 1938; no multilane sections shown on 2004 Official Map.
Comment: SC 280 provides a cutoff for traffic moving from US 21 SB to SC 170 WB.

 
 
SC 281  not currently assigned
Previous SC 281's: SC 281 #1: Appeared in 1924 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 28 (current SC 125) near Ellenton east to SC 1 (current US 278) Barnwell.
By 1926, SC 281 was renumbered as part of SC 64. Today, it is the 6 westernmost miles of SC 64 and all of SRS Route B.
SC 281 #2: Appeared in 1931 or 1932 as new routing. Ran from SC 28 (current US 21) Beaufort south to Port Royal.
In 1937 or 1938, SC 281 was extended around to SC 280 (now part of SC 802) Parris Island. This left behind a short stub to Port Royal, which is shown on 1938-42 maps as a state route, but not numbered.
In 1957 or 1958, SC 281 was extended southwest to the new SC 170 right before the Broad River Bridge. This replaced some of SC 280 and was new routing west of Shell Point. This was SC 281's longest reach, at 11 miles.
Between 1983-85, SC 281 was rerouted to once again run from Beaufort to Port Royal. SC 281's old routing through Shell Point to SC 170 became part of SC 802. The short stub from SC 281 down to Port Royal had been SC 281 SPUR.
SC 281 was eliminated in 1989 or 1990, replaced by US 21 Bypass and SC 802. The stub piece down to Port Royal is plain 'ol Paris Ave S-7-5 today. Both Google and MSN Map features still show SC 281, although I'm virtually certain this is indeed gone. SC 281 was 4-lane from Beaufort to Port Royal for many years.
SC 281 SPUR: Appears to have been created between 1959-64 as Paris Ave from SC 281 (now SC 802) down to Port Royal, proper. This had once been SC 281's routing in the 1930's. SC 281 SPUR went back to being part of SC 281 between 1983-85, and is today S-7-5 Paris Ave. again.
SC 282  not currently assigned
Previous SC 282's: SC 282: Appeared in 1939 as new primary routing. Ran as a 4 mile loop off SC 28 through Millett in western Allendale County.
In 1941 or 1942, the eastern half of SC 282 became part of SC 39 (today this is S-3-17).
In 1948, the rest of SC 282 was downgraded to S-3-12. SC 282 was fully paved when downgraded, a rarity.
SC 283
From: US 221SC 28 Plum Branch (McCormick County)
To: US 25 north of Edgefield (Edgefield County).
Total Length: 17.8 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 221, SC 28: 0 - 0
Edgefield-McCormick Line: 9.2 - 9.2
US 25: 8.6 - 17.8
Creation: Resurrected as a state route in 1949, running the way it does now.
Adjustments: SC 283 first appeared in 1939, as a 6-mile stub east off SC 28 Plum Branch.
In 1940, SC 283 was extended to US 25.
In 1948, SC 283 was downgraded to secondary status - possibly as part of S-35-30 and other unknown routes.
In 1949, SC 283 was restored to its full routing, although it may have been retooled east of Plum Branch (it appears S-35-202 may have been part of original SC 283).
Improvements: SC 283 was paved in 1949; no multilane sections
Comment: SC 283 passes through a section of the Sumter National Forest.

 
 
SC 284
From: SC 81 south of Lowdnesville (Abbeville County)
To: SC 20 SC 252 west of Honea Path (Anderson County).
Total Length: 19.2 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 81: 0 - 0
SC 71: 2.4 - 2.4
SC 28 EB, SC 184 EB: 6.3 - 8.7
SC 184 WB: 0.6 - 9.3
SC 28 WB: 1.2 - 10.5
Anderson-Abbeville Line: 2.4 - 12.9
SC 201: 0.7 - 13.6
SC 185: 2.8 - 16.4
SC 20, SC 252: 2.8 - 19.2
Creation: Created in 1940 as new primary routing. Originally ran from SC 71 east of Lowndesville north to SC 201 just inside Anderson County. This is the 2nd SC 284.
Adjustments: In 1941 or 1942, SC 284 was extended north to end at US 76-178 Belton. This replaced a piece of SC 201 up to SC 185, but was new routing the rest of the way. This brought SC 284 to its longest length of 22 miles.
In 1948, SC 284 south was truncated to SC 28 near Antreville, leaving behind secondary routes that are once again 284 today, except SC 284 originally used S-1-116 instead of the SC 28 multiplex below Antreville.
In 1950, SC 284 was re-extended south to SC 71.
In 1955 or 1956, SC 284 north was truncated to its present end at SC 20-252. The old route to Belton became part of SC 20.
Sometime between 1993-96, SC 284 is shown to have been extended to SC 81 (probably over S-1-64). However, my 1980's county map atlas shows this, and when I used to drive SC 81 in the late 80's it was there, posted with an early 70's style square with narrow numbers. So I don't know when this occurred, except it was well before the mid-90's.
Improvements: SC 284 was fully paved in Anderson County in 1941 or 1942. SC 284 was fully paved in all segments from 1948 forward; no multilane segments
Comment: SC 284's jct with SC 20-252 is a grade-separated interchange with 2-way ramps from SC 252 and SC 20 tying directly to SC 284.
Previous SC 284's: SC 284 #1: Appeared in 1928 as a renumbering of the first SC 211. Ran from US 25 (current Center St) Travelers Rest northwest through Marietta, Cleveland, and Caesars Head before exiting into North Carolina as NC 284.
In 1932, SC 284 was renumbered as part of US 276. Note this route was once the northern reaches of original SC 21.

 
 
SC 285  not currently assigned
Previous SC 285's: SC 285: Appeared in 1939 as new routing. Ran from SC 28 (current US 21) Beaufort east 8 miles past Frogmore.
In 1940, SC 285 was extended east 8 more miles to Hunting Island State Park.
In 1954, SC 285 was renumbered as an extended US 21 (uses all of US 21 Business today).

 
 
SC 286  not currently assigned
Previous SC 286's: SC 286: Appeared in 1940 as new routing. Ran from US 17-21 and SC 28 (current S-25-1) Yemassee west 4 miles to McPhersonville.
Between 1941-1942, SC 286 was extended to both directions: west 3 more miles to SC 367 (current S-25-36) and east to SC 32 (current US 17) west of the Combahee River.
In 1948, SC 286 was downgraded to S-25-17, S-7-33, and the piece that was US 17-21 then is today S-25-1 and S-7-3.
SC 287  not currently assigned
Previous SC 287's: SC 287: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing. Ran from SC 82 (current SC 81) Mt. Carmel to SC 28 in northern Mccormick County.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 287 was extended east (after brief multiplex with SC 28) to SC 432 (current S-35-36), giving SC 287 a total length of 9 miles.
In 1948, SC 287 was downgraded to S-35-19 and S-35-38.

 
 
SC 288
From: US 178 just south of SC 11 (Pickens County)
To: US 276 Marietta (Greenville County).
Total Length: 14.9 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 178: 0 - 0
SC 8: 6.4 - 6.4
Greenville-Pickens Line: 3.8 - 10.2
US 276: 4.7 - 14.9
Creation: Created in 1940 as new primary routing, running from SC 28 (current S-37-3) West Union northeast 12 miles to Salem. A second piece also ran from US 178 (current S-38-100 jct) west 8 miles to the Keowee River.
Adjustments: In 1941 or 1942, the two pieces of SC 288 were connected via Jocassee. Also, SC 288 was extended in both directions as new routing: multipex with SC 28 south for 2 miles, then headed due south to US 76 (current S-37-13) Richland; also, SC 288 was extended east along US 178 for 3 miles, then east as new routing through Pumpkintown and ending at US 276 Marietta. This brought SC 288 to a lengthy 55 miles.
In 1948, SC 288 was reduced to running from SC 271 (current SC 130) Salem to Marietta. South of Salem became S-37-24 (some of this is SC 130 and another part is SC 11) and S-37-35.
In 1949, SC 288 was re-extended over S-37-24 to SC 28 (current S-37-3) West Union.
In 1954, SC 288 was reduced to running only SC 8 Pumpkintown to US 276, replaced by an extended SC 11. Most of this is no longer SC 11 - instead it is SC 288 again west to US 178, 3 miles of US 178, S-39-100 from US 178 to Eastatoe, then Lake Jocassee covers a few miles, then S-37-25, S-37-190, 2 miles of SC 130, S-37-24, and 2 miles of SC 11 around West Union.
In 1971 or 1972, SC 288 was re-extended west to US 178, replacing what had been briefly TEMP SC 288.
Improvements: The Pickens County part of SC 288 were paved in 1941 or 1942; Salem to West Union was paved in 1948;
No multilane sections
Comment: SC 288 was the only way to cross E-W across the top of South Carolina prior to the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Hwy (SC 11) being built.
Previous SC 768's: SC 288 SPUR: Appeared briefly around 1970 as a renumbering of a piece of SC 11 between US 178 and Pumpkintown. Was made part of SC 288 shortly thereafter.
SC 289  not currently assigned
Previous SC 289's: SC 289: Appeared in 1941 or 1942 as new primary routing. Ran from US 76-SC 28 east of Clemson in a 3-mile loop south to around the Clemson Univ. campus. The 1942 Map appears to show it ending just short of US 76-SC 13-SC 28 (current SC 93).
In 1948, SC 289 was downgraded to S-39-22.

Last Update: 27 April 2005

Previous: SC 270 - 279  |  Next: SC 290 - 299
Top  |  South Carolina Hwy Index Home