-->
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
The Highways of South Carolina SC 210 to 219 
< 200 to 209 | Home | 220 to 229 >
SC 210
From: US 21 Branchville (Orangeburg County)
To: SC 6 Vance (Orangeburg County).
Total Length: 28.4 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 21: 0 - 0
US 178 WB: 9.7 - 9.7
US 178 EB: 0.1 - 9.8
I-26 (exit 165): 5.5 - 15.3
US 176: 4.7 - 20
US 15: 2.9 - 22.9
SC 310: 5 - 27.9
SC 6: 0.5 - 28.4
Creation: Created between 1962-64 as a renumbering of SC 121 #2, running just the way it does now. This is the 2nd SC 210.
Adjustments: None
Improvements: SC 210 was fully paved upon designation; no multilane sections shown on 2005 Official Map.
Comment: SC 210 is blown off by I-95, although it passes very near the US 15 exit.
Previous SC 210's: SC 210 #1: Created in 1937 or 1938 as new primary routing. Ran from US 178 Orangeburg north to US 21-SC 2 (current US 176) near Sandy Run.
SC 210 was renumbered as part of US 21 in 1950.
SC 211
From: SC 150 Cherokee County
To: SC 97 Hickory Grove (York County).
Total Length: 20.7 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 150: 0 - 0
SC 18 NB: 5.4 - 5.4
SC 18 SB: 0.7 - 6.1
SC 105 SB: 5.4 - 11.5
SC 105 NB: 4 - 15.5
York-Cherokee Line: 1.1 - 16.6
SC 97: 4.1 - 20.7
Creation: Created in 1941 or 1942 as a renumbering of part of SC 105. Originally ran from SC 5 (current SC 97) Hickory Grove only to the SC 105 NB split. This is the 3rd SC 211.
Adjustments: In 1955 or 1956, SC 211 was extended west to its current end at SC 150, replacing SC 98.
Improvements: SC 211 was fully paved upon inception; no multilane segments shown on the 2005 Official map.
Comment: SC 211 is a lonely road not serving much traffic.
Previous SC 211's: SC 211 #1: Existed at most 1925-1927. Ran from SC 21 (current Old US 25) Travelers Rest northwest to Marietta and leaving the state at Caesar Head. This had been part of original SC 21.
In 1928, SC 211 was renumbered as SC 284, to match NC 284. Today it is part of US 276.
SC 211 #2: In place by 1932, initially running from US 21 Fort Mill east to SC 26 (current US 521).
In 1939, SC 211 was extended northwest to the North Carolina line.
In 1941 or 1942, SC 211 was renumbered to SC 160.
SC 212
From: SC 64 near Bells Crossroads (Colleton County)
To: US 21 east of Williams (Colleton County).
Total Length: 17.8 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 64: 0 - 0
SC 362: 4 - 4
SC 212: 1.7 - 5.7
Creation: Appeared as new primary routing in 1937 or 1938. Originally ran only from US 21 to Williams.
Adjustments: In 1940, SC 212 was extended from Williams to SC 64.
Improvements: SC 212 was paved from SC 362 to US 21 in 1941 or 1942. The remaining part was paved in 1950.
SC 212 has no multilane sections.
Comment: SC 212's sole purpose is to link Williams to other state routes.

 
 
SC 213
From: US 176 west of Peak (Newberry County)
To: US 321 SC 34 west of Winnsboro (Fairfield County).
Total Length: 21.9 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 176: 0 - 0
Fairfield-Newberry Line: 2.8 - 2.8
SC 215 SB: 2.7 - 5.5
SC 215 NB: 3.2 - 8.7
US 321, SC 34: 13.2 - 21.9
Creation: Created in 1939 as a new primary route. Originally ran from US 21 Ridgeway east to the Kershaw-Fairfield Line.
Adjustments:In 1940, SC 213 was extended east to US 1 Lugoff
In 1941 or 1942, SC 213 was extended west to SC 218 (current US 321).
In 1948, SC 213 was truncated to run from Ridgeway to Lugoff. This left behind S-20-30.
In 1950, SC 213 was extended west replacing part of US 21 to Winnsboro, then replaced SC 219 west to SC 215. This was SC 213's longest period, at 40 miles.
In 1951 or 1952, SC 213 was truncated to run from only SC 215 to Winnsboro. The Winnsboro to Lugoff route became part of SC 34.
Between 1962-64, SC 213 was extended down SC 215 to Jenkinsville, then west across the Broad River to US 176. This replaced part of S-20-16 (which was once part of SC 219). In Newberry County, the piece east of S-36-28 is shown as a state route (but not its number) off old SC 329.
Improvements: SC 213 was paved in 1947 or 1948; no multilane segments
Comment: SC 213 is a quiet ride through sparse territory.
SC 214  not currently assigned
Previous SC 214's: SC 214: Appeared in 1940 as new primary routing. Ran from US 21 Burton in a south 'C' shape to SC 280 Shell Point.
In 1948, SC 214 was downgraded to S-7-20. Today, it includes the southernmost 2 miles of SC 802.
SC 215
From: US 21US 321 Eau Claire (Richland County)
To: SC 295SC 296 Spartanburg (Spartanburg County).
Total Length: 96.1 miles  
ROUTE LOG
US 21, US 321: 0 - 0
I-20 (exit 68): 2.1 - 2.1
SC 269: 10.4 - 12.5
Fairfield-Richland Line: 2.1 - 14.6
SC 213 WB: 8.9 - 23.3
SC 213 EB: 3.2 - 26.5
SC 34: 8.2 - 34.7
Chester-Fairfield Line: 12.5 - 47.2
SC 72 EB, SC 121 NB: 2.6 - 49.4
Union-Chester Line: 1.2 - 50.6
SC 72 WB, SC 121 NB: 2.7 - 53.3
SC 49-215 CONN: 9 - 62.3
US 176 EB, SC 18: 3.2 - 65.5
SC 49: 1.7 - 67.2
US 176 WB: 1.2 - 68.4
Spartanburg-Union Line: 11.5 - 79.9
SC 150: 3.5 - 83.4
SC 56 SB: 2.1 - 85.5
SC 56 NB: 1 - 86.5
US 221: 5.5 - 92
SC 295, SC 296: 4.1 - 96.1
Creation: Created in 1928, running from US 78 Aiken northeast to Wagener, Pelion, Edmund and West Columbia (all replacing original SC 121); also continued into Columbia (multiplex with US 1-21, SC 2) then headed northwest through Jenkinsville and Carlisle (replacing original SC 161) before using new routing to end at US 176-SC 92 (current SC 18) Union.
SC 215's original Columbia routing used Assembly St and Gervais Ave across the Congaree River
Adjustments:In 1948, SC 215 was rerouted to approach Union from the south, over what had been a primary (but number not identified) route. The old route through Monarch became part of SC 92 (today's SC 49-215 CONN).
In 1949, SC 215 was extended north over what had been US 176 to end at SC 56 Pauline.
In 1950, SC 215 was extended north as new routing to US 221 (current S-42-400) Roebuck.
Between 1954-58, SC 215 was rerouted in Columbia to continue south on Assembly to Blossom St before heading west across the Saluda River on the current US 21-176-321 bridge. The old route remained US 1-378 and SC 602, with a piece of Charleston Hwy becoming a US 1-21 connector.
Between 1960-64, SC 215 was extended north from Roebuck to its current end at SC 295-296. This replaced the original southern ending of SC 295, and brought SC 215 to its longest routing at 151 miles.
Between 1974-77, SC 215 south was truncated to its current Eau Claire endpoint. The old route became today's SC 302 from Aiken to Cayce, and US 21-321 remained on the route through Columbia.
Improvements: Only Eau Claire to Columbia was paved upon creation in 1928.
Cayce to Union was paved by April 1932.
All of SC 215 in Aiken County plus the SC 6 multiplex was paved in 1937 or 1938.
The rest of SC 215 was paved in 1939.
The US 21-321 multiplpex was 4-laned by 1958.
SC 215 from US 21-176-321 southwest to the airport was 4-laned by 1964.
SC 215 was 4-laned from US 21-321 to I-20 between 1965-67, and this was extended a couple miles north between 1968-70, and a couple miles further north by 1977.
SC 215 was 4-laned on the Union bypass by 1987, although no Official Map has ever shown this.
Comment: SC 215 makes a pretty decent backdoor route from Columbia to Union - not many towns and the route is not winding.
Why SC 215 was assigned from Aiken to Union in the first place makes no sense, since SC 19-US 176 covered the same territory in many fewer miles.

 
SC 216
From: Kings Mtn National Battlefield Park (Cherokee County)
To: North Carolina State Line (Cherokee County). The route continues as NC 216 to NC 274 near Cherryville, NC
Total Length: 1.1 miles (SC + NC 216 = 16 miles)  
ROUTE LOG
S-11-86: 0 - 0
NC STATE LINE: 1.1 - 1.1
Creation: Created as new primary routing between 1960-64, running as it does today. THis is the 2nd SC 216.
Adjustments: None
Improvements: SC 216 was paved upon designation.
No multilane sections
Comment: SC 216 serves as the main way to reach the Kings Mountain National Battlefield. Note that NC 216 had ended at the South Carolina Line all the way back to 1930.
Previous SC 216's: SC 216 #1: Created in 1939 as new primary routing. Ran as a 1-mile stub south off US 21 at Sheldon.
In 1940, SC 216 was extended to loop back around to US 21 for a length of 2 miles.
In 1941 or 1942, the eastern half of SC 216 was downgraded to secondary status (and today is S-7-47).
In 1948, the rest of SC 216 became S-7-19.
US 217

 
 
SC 217
From: SC 64 Lodge (Colleton County)
To: SC 61 near Springtown (Colleton County).
Total Length: 15.1 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 64: 0 - 0
Bamberg-Colleton Line: 2.1 - 2.1
SC 362 NB: 1 - 3.1
Colleton-Bamberg Line: 0.5 - 3.6
SC 362 SB: 0.3 - 3.9
US 21: 4.4 - 8.3
SC 61: 6.8 - 15.1
Creation: Created in 1937 or 1938 as new primary routing, running from SC 64 Lodge to US 21 Smoaks.
Adjustments: In 1941 or 1942, SC 217 was extended east to SC 65 (current SC 61).
In 1948, SC 217 east was truncated back to US 21, leaving behind an unknown S-15-x route.
In 1949, SC 217 was re-extended east back to its current end.
Improvements: SC 217 was paved in 1941 or 1942 from Lodge to Smoaks; the Smoaks to SC 61 section wasn't paved until 1949.
No multilane sections
Comment: I have used SC 217 as a short cut several times as part of Charleston to Augusta travel...
SC 218  not currently assigned
Previous SC 218's: SC 218: Appeared in 1939 as new routing. Ran from US 21/SC 5 Eau Claire north 24 miles to US 21 (current SC 34) Rockton.
The 1946 Mobilgas shows SC 218 multiplexed with US 21 down to US 76 (current US 176) in Columbia.
In 1950, SC 218 was renumbered as part of US 321.
SC 219
From: BUSSC 34 Newberry (Newberry County)
To: US 176 near Pomaria (Newberry County).
Total Length: 9.5 miles  
ROUTE LOG
SC 34 Bus: 0 - 0
US 76, SC 34: 0.2 - 0.2
I-26 (exit 76): 3.4 - 3.6
US 176: 5.9 - 9.5
Creation: Appeared as new primary routing in 1937 or 1938. Originally ran from SC 215 east to US 21 (current US 321/SC 34) Rockton.
Adjustments: In 1940, SC 219 was extended south along SC 215 to Jenkinsville, then west 3 miles to Parr. Also, a second piece of SC 219 formed west of the Broad River, running from SC 22 (current SC 34 Bus) Newberry to SC 177 (current US 176) Pomaria. This gave SC 219 its maximum length at 28 miles.
In 1948, SC 219's Newberry County run was downgraded to secondary status. Also, Parr to Jenkinsville became S-20-11 (which is now partially SC 213).
In 1949, SC 219's Newberry County routing was restored.
SC 219 became its current route in 1950, when SC 213 replaced its Fairfield County routing.
Improvements: SC 219 has been fully paved on all sections since 1939.
No multilane sections shown on the 2005 Official map, but the westernmost 1/2 mile or so has been multilane since the 1980's.
Comment: SC 219's split route suggests a northern crossing of the Broad River was contemplated, although when primary routing between Pomaria and the Broad River was added in 1941-42, it did NOT receive the 219 designation.

Last Update: 20 June 2005

Previous: SC 200 - 209  |  Next: SC 220 - 229
Top  |  South Carolina Hwy Index Home