Hopewell Baptist Church was founded in 1876 by Rev. J. Capers. Our fore parents attended High Hills Baptist Church. They left High Hills because of dissatisfaction among the members. They marched down the road until they came to the old Hopewell Church spot.
The name Hopewell was adopted when they departed from High Hills Baptist. The members of High Hills said, " We hope you well." The members of new Hopewell held services under a Bush Harbor for a few years. Rev. Capers chose a committee of seven to go with him to Mr. Robert Brownfield's house to purchase land to build the church. The seven members were: Rev. Capers, Dea. Robert Bolden, Dea. William Cohen, Mr. Richard Roach, Mrs. Clarissa Howard, Mrs. Amelia Slater, and Mrs. Louise Grant. Mr. Brownfield gave the land to the church. The material for the foundation of our church was donated by the Grant family of Grant Hill Baptist Church. The sills were hued out and put together with pegs. The members of the church planted an extra acre of cotton and used the money from it to finish building the church.
The following pastors served after Rev. Capers: Rev. Theodore Diggs (45 years); Rev. Miles, Rev. Ross, Rev. Holmes (1924-25); Rev. H.D. Dupree (1925-32); Rev. H.W. White (1932-36); Rev. M.M. Battie (1936-52). Our present pastor, Rev. L.W Walker, Sr. has served since 1952. Under his leadership, the new Hopewell Baptist Church was built in 1965. The committee that purchased the land from George Benenhaley was Tallis Yates, B.T. Dawson, and Walker Diggs. The church was paid for in seven years.
Under Rev. Waker's leadership, many auxilaries were organized. They are: The Gospel Choir, Boy's Club, Pastor's Aide Club, Youth Choir, L.W. Walker Choir, and the Children's Choir. In 1975 service was started every Sunday with Rev. Charles Gadson as our Assistant Pastor. Other assistant pastors who have served are: Rev. Melvin Butler, Rev. Lewis Walker, Jr., Kenneth Choice, Rev. Barker, Rev. Issac Johnson, Rev. B.D. Lewis, Rev. Anthony Taylor, Rev. Selvin Jones, and Rev. Durant Jenkins. Rev. Jones and Rev. Gary Miller currently serve as Associate Ministers.
In 1993 an Educational and Fellowship Hall were added.A few words of wisdom from the bible:"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16