Lighthouse Tribe Photo Album
Lighthouse Cemetery Photos
Photos of the Structures
Descendants of James Chaughum
Generation No. 1
1. JAMES2 CHAUGHUM (Father was probably Samuel Chaugham) was born Abt. 1710 in Block Island, RI, and died Abt. 1790 in Riverton, CT. He married MOLLY(IE) BARBER 1740.
More About MOLLY(IE) BARBER:
Census: 1800, Mary Chaugum, Litchfield Co, CT, P.32, w/1F(over 45) 3free persons in family
Children of JAMES CHAUGHUM and MOLLY(IE) BARBER are:
i. SALLY CHAUGHUM.
2. ii. SAMUEL CHAUGHUM.
iii. SOLOMON CHAUGHUM, m. MISS. HAYES.
iv. MERIBAH (MARY) CHAUGHUM, m. SAMUEL LAWERENCE.
v. HANNAH SANDS CHAUGHUM, b. Abt. 1751; d. July 29, 1859; m. RUBEN BARBER, October 31, 1784, Barkhamsted, CT.
More About RUBEN BARBER:
Service Record: Revolutionary War
Occupation: Indian Doctor
Burial: Barber Cemetery, Catlin, Chemung Co., NY
3. vi. MERCY CHAUGHUM, b. 1757; d. 1842.
4. vii. MARY (POLLY) CHAUGHUM, b. Abt. 1758, Barkhamsted, CT.
viii. ELIZABETH CHAUGHUM, b. Abt. 1770; d. Abt. 1855.
Generation No. 2
2. SAMUEL CHAUGHUM (JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?). He married MISS. GREEN.
Children of SAMUEL CHAUGHUM and MISS. GREEN are:
i. SOLOMON CHAUGHUM, m. SOPHIA BILLS.
ii. BENJAMIN CHAUGHUM.
iii. SUSAN CHAUGHUM, m. AMOS NORTHRUP, October 26, 1829.
3.MERCY3 CHAUGHUM (JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born 1757, and died 1842. She married ISAAC JACKLYN.
Children of MERCY CHAUGHUM and ISAAC JACKLYN are:
5. i. JOHN JACKLYN, d. 1850.
ii. HANNAH JACKLYN, m. MR. COWLES.
iii. ISAAC JACKLYN.
iv. SALLY JACKLYN, d. 1870; m. MR. ELWELL.
v. RHODA JACKLYN, m. MR. COLLINS.
4.MARY (POLLY) CHAUGHUM (JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born Abt. 1758 in Barkhamsted, CT. She married WILLIAM WILSON.
More About WILLIAM WILSON:
Service Record: A soldier of the Revolution, & was lame possibly from battle of Monmouth.1
Occupation: Preacher & Laborer2
Cause of Death: Cancer in 1843 (in Tyringham, MA)*See Place of death on family page.
Children of MARY CHAUGHUM and WILLIAM WILSON are:
i. ESTHER WILSON, m. DAVID HASKILL.
ii. SUSANNAH WILSON, m. DANIEL F. CLARKE.
6. iii. POLLY WILSON, b. Abt. 1797; d. September 01, 1867.
7. iv. WILLIAM WILSON, JR., b. 1799, Barkhamsted, CT; d. 1855, Barkhamsted, CT.
Generation No. 3
5. JOHN JACKLYN (MERCY3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) died 1850.
Children of JOHN JACKLYN are:
i. ISAAC JACKLYN.
8. ii. EMMELINE JACKLYN.
iii. SAMUEL JACKLYN.
6.POLLY WILSON (MARY (POLLY)3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born Abt. 1797, and died September 01, 1867. She married JOSEPH ELWELL, son of JOSHUA ELWELL and ABIGAIL.
Children of POLLY WILSON and JOSEPH ELWELL are:
9. i. JOSEPH5 ELWELL , JR., b. Abt. 1815; d. Abt. 1870.
10. ii. JOHN ELWELL, b. Abt. 1815.
iii. BABY ELWELL, b. May 01, 1817, Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT; d. May 01, 1817, Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT.
7.WILLIAM WILSON , JR. (MARY (POLLY)3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born 1799 in Barkhamsted, CT, and died 1855 in Barkhamsted, CT3. He married HARRIET <Unknown Surname>.
Children of WILLIAM WILSON and HARRIET <Unknown Surname> are:
i. ESTHER WILSON, b. 1827.
11. ii. MARY WILSON, b. 1830-1833, Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT; d. December 24, 1901, Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT.
iii. ABIGAIL WILSON, b. 1838.
iv. WILLIAM WILSON III, b. 1840.
Generation No. 4
8. EMMELINE JACKLYN (JOHN4, MERCY3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?). She married NOAH BARBER.
Child of EMMELINE JACKLYN and NOAH BARBER is:
i. JANE6 BARBER.
9.JOSEPH ELWELL , JR. (POLLY4 WILSON, MARY (POLLY)3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born Abt. 1815, and died Abt. 1870. He married CATHERINE EDGECOME.
Children of JOSEPH ELWELL and CATHERINE EDGECOME are:
i. ARMENIA ELWELL.
ii. ISAAC ELWELL, m. LAURA WEBSTER.
iii. TIMOTHY ELWELL, b. Abt. 1845.
iv. LEWIS ELWELL, b. Abt. 1848.
v. JEROME ELWELL, b. September 07, 1850.
10.JOHN ELWELL (POLLY4 WILSON, MARY (POLLY)3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born Abt. 1815. He married MARY.
Children of JOHN ELWELL and MARY are:
i. LURIE ELWELL.
ii. SARAH ELWELL, b. Abt. 1838.
iii. SARINA ELWELL, b. 1838.
iv. EUNICE ELWELL, b. Abt. 1840.
v. JOHN ELWELL, b. Abt. 1842.
vi. PATIENCE ELWELL, b. Abt. 1845; m. EDWIN COBB.
vii. MARY MATILDA ELWELL "OLD TIL", b. Abt. 1850; d. November 07, 1928, Burlington, CT.
11.MARY WILSON (WILLIAM4, MARY (POLLY)3 CHAUGHUM, JAMES2, SAMUEL1 CHAGUM?) was born 1830-1833 in Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT, and died December 24, 1901 in Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT. She married SOLOMON WEBSTER4 October 1850 in Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT, son of MONTGUMERY WEBSTER and SYBEL <Unknown Surname>
Children of MARY WILSON and SOLOMON WEBSTER are:
i. WILLIAM WEBSTER.
ii. JAMES WEBSTER.
iii. DANIEL WEBSTER.
iv. FRANKIE WEBSTER, b. Abt. 1844; m. MARY LORDES.
v. LAURA WEBSTER, b. July 30, 1851, Barkhamsted Lighthouse, CT (Now in People's State Forest, CT); m. ISAAC ELWELL.
vi. FRED WEBSTER, b. April 01, 1852, Riverton, CT; d. November 15, 1942, Vicksburg, Kalamazoo County, MI5; m. MARY BLETT, March 14, 1874, Shermantown, Allegan County, MI6,7.
Notes for FRED WEBSTER:
Fred Webster is in the following census reports as the Head of the household:
More About FRED WEBSTER:
Occupation: Railroad, Laborer, and something to do with Lumber8,9,10
Burial: November 1942, Lawton, VanBuren County, MI
Census: 1860, Connecticut; 4 yrs old.???11
Census: June 11, 1900, Marcellus, Cass County, MI (Age: 49)
Misc.: 1858, 9th school district lists Fred Webster son of12,13
Misc.: 1865, Solomon and Mary (Wilson) Webster as a student
Notes for MARY BLETT:
More About MARY BLETT:
Burial: February 1942, Lawton, Van Buren County, MI
Census: 1900, Marcellus, Cass Co, MI (Age-48)
vii. RILEY WEBSTER, b. Abt. 1857.
viii. EMMA WEBSTER, b. May 14, 1858; m. MR. POLACK.
ix. PRUDENCE WEBSTER, b. January 09, 1859.
x. MARY WEBSTER, b. 1861-1870.
xi. JANET WEBSTER, b. 1861-1870.
xii. DORA WEBSTER, b. April 30, 1866.
xiii. SUSAN WEBSTER, b. August 14, 1867; m. ANDREW COCHRAN.
xiv. JUSTINA WEBSTER, b. September 24, 1870, Riverton, CT; d. December 16, 1870, Riverton, CT.
1. Lee, William Wallace, Barkhamsted, CT and its centennial 1879, (Meriden, CT: Republican Steam Print, 1881), Page 39.
2. "Obituary," Written by Mr. Jesse Ives of Hitchcockville, CT.
3. Vital Records, Barkhamsted, CT.
4. Unknown, Between 1830-1832.
5. "Obituary," The Kalamazoo Gazette.
6. "Obituary," Of Fred Webster.
7. Ancestry World Tree--Michigan Marriage CD, Says Frederick Webster and Mary Price were married on.
8. Photo, Grandma Lash has a photo of him in a group of men in a lumber yard.
9. Census, 1900; Lawton, Van Buron County, MI.
10. ibid, 1910; Marcellus, Cass County, MI.
11. E-Mail, From: Walt Landgraf.
13. Feder, Kenneth L., A Village of Outcasts, (Mayfield Publishing Company, Mountain View, California---1994).