The Siberian Husky Club of Canada
The Siberian Husky Club of Canada (SHCC) is the national club for Canada and has members across this country and also in other countries including the United States, Australia, and Belgium. The SHCC is divided into regions of which Southern Ontario is one.
Members of the SHCC receive a bimonthly newsletter keeping them up-to-date on events and happenings across the country. All members agree to abide by a code of conduct and must adhere to those rules to remain a member in good standing.
SHCC Code of Conduct
1) Follow the rules of good sportsmanship in all Siberian Husky events.
2) Attempt to help and befriend and educate novice exhibitors, racers, and breeders.
3) Fully explain to all prospective Siberian Husky purchasers, the disadvantages, as well as the advantages of owning a Siberian Husky.
4) Attempt to maintain my animal or animals in a safe, clean environment, keeping in mind the physical and mental well-being; by providing proper nutrition, immunizations, socialization, and adequate attention to induce maximum health.
5) Keep up to date on information in the field of genetics and work persistently to eliminate hereditary defects from the breed and my breeding program.
6) Have all breeding stock x-rayed clear of hip dysplasia prior to breeding and submit for certification by either a Canadian or foreign certifying body.
7) Have all breeding stock checked clear of hereditary eye defects anually, by a certified Veterinary Opthalmologist.
8) Insist on the above certifications on any animal presented for breeding and refuse any breeding where they are not present.
9) Only dogs and bitches that are healthy and of good temperament and free of hereditary defects. Animals will not be bred under 2 years of age and bitches will not normally be bred more than once per year.
10) Promptly register all puppies bred. Keep and pass on to buyers of puppies and dogs current and up to date health records and records of all pertinent hereditary faults. Recommend the spaying or altering of pet stock, including any animals with hereditary defects, and require the altering of monorchid or cryptorchid dogs.
11) Refuse to deal with or sell, donate or consign puppies to pet shops, wholesalers, or retailers, dog dealers, laboratories, or raffles. I will include in all contracts that no Siberians resulting from matings will be wholesaled or sold to pet shops.
12) Not breed Siberian Huskies to unregistered dogs, nor will I allow others to use my dogs for such purposes.
SHCC Code of Conduct
Governing All SHCC Sled Dog Race Competitors
1) All contestants will treat all race officials with courtesy and respect.
2) All contestants agree to abide by any decision made by the race marshal for purposes of that race. An opportunity to appeal the decision at a later date is recognized.
3) Every contestant will display a high degree of sportsmanship at all times.
4) All contestants will conduct themselves at all times in a manner which demonstrates a caring attitude for the welfare of their teams. Abuse of a dog, with or without an implement, is prohibited.
5) All contestants confirm by entering the race that each of their dogs is trained and fit to run the distance demanded by the race entered.
6) All contestants confirm that they put the physical well being of each dog ahead of any other consideration.
7) All contestants agree to report to the race marshal the actions of other drivers, or team handlers, which they feel reflects negatively on the sport of sled dog racing.
8) All contestants agree to allow the race marshal, or named designee, to inspect their dogs before and/or after any race entered. No contestant will try to hide, or ignore, any injury which might disqualify a dog from competing.
9) All contestants agree not to carry whips or noise makers or any other punitive implements during a race.
10) All contestants should do their utmost to demonstrate their pride in their teams by the general appearance of the dogs, sleds, and equipment.
For more information on becoming a member, please contact:
Return to Main Page