1. In 1773 Ogden Cockroft received this land as a Royal Land Grand of 300 acres.
2. Mr. Cockroft sold "…all that plantation or tract of land…" to Bryan Marsh in 1804.
3. The house first appears on the Mills Map of Edgefield District (1825) as a residence of "Capt. B. Marsh".
4. In 1846 the plat of an adjoining plantation shows that the land belonged to Josiah Howell.
5. In 1847 Isaac Johnson of the Old Barnwell District purchased the land from Mr. Howell.
6. The Johnson family kept the property until 1945, at which time John Henry Hazel bought the house and 225 acres.
7. The house was deeded to Virginia Trotter Witt, granddaughter of John Henry Hazel, along with 62 acres in 1978.
8. Ms. Witt donated the house and one acre to the Saluda County Historical Society in 1990.
The Marsh-Johnson House-placed on the National Register of Historic Places June 17, 1982-is located in the southwest portion of what is
now Saluda County (Old Edgefield District) at the intersection of Fruit Hill Road and Rocky Creek Road, about two miles off Highway 121, that
today links Saluda and Johnson.
The Marsh-Johnson House in architecturally significant as an example of an early upcountry plantation home. The house is built along simple
lines, but close inspection reveals exceptional workmanship and detail.
The most outstanding exterior feature of the house is the two end chimneys. Each double-hipped chimney is laid in Flemish bond and features
glazed headers, as do the massive brick piers under the house. The exterior of the log building is sheeted in beaded weatherboarding.
Interior features which indicate fine workmanship include wide beaded flush paneling and a simple chair rail. Two six-foot mantels, although lowered about one foot,
remain the focal points of the two downstairs rooms.