Elven Settlement Generator
Elves in the duchies of Arethane almost universally live in fixed settlements that blend with the environment around them-most frequently magically shaped trees-so that the elven homes are literally living, growing things.
This section provides GMs with tables that can be used to randomly generate an elven city or settlement. These tables can of course also be used as a checklist by the GM who has an elven city in mind, but who wants to make sure he/she has everything covered.
Random Elven City Generation Tables
Settlement Size: (divide results by 10 if Elf Type was “Wood Elf”)
- Grey Elves: Ly`Tel`Quessir
- High/Silver Elves: Vani`Tel`Quessir
- Wood/Green Elves: Sy`Tel`Quessir
- Gold Elves: Ar`Tel`Quessir
- Moon Elves: Teu`Tel`Quessir
- Snow Elves: Aig`Tel`Quessir
- Shadow Elves: Xia`Tel`Quessir
- Avariel/Winged Elves: Aer`Tel`Quessir
- Aquatic Elves: Alu`Tel`Quessir
- Drow Elves: Ssri`Tel`Quessir
- Mixed Elves
- Mixed Elves and other Races
Dominant Architectural Feature:
- Magically Shaped Tree dwellings
- Natural Homes built in trees
- Underground Dwellings
- Stone buildings
- Temporary dwellings, except for temples and government halls
- Homes built in trees and underground, blending perfectly with natural environment.
- Buildings and Homes built of magically grown crystal
- Mixed Dwelling types
Seat of Government:
- Tribal/Clan Structure
- No set government, except in times of crises; then a leader is appointed by elves of hereditary noble status; the leader rules until the crisis has past
- Central palace or council hall
- An open grove somewhere within the city’s territory
- No set place for government to meet.
- Standing army.
- Volunteer army, assembled only in times of crisis.
- Hunters double as army.
- Wall or hedges (magically enhanced plants).
- Border forts.
- Combination of wall or hedges and border forts.
- No defensive structures.
Temples:(skip if non-applicable)
- Worships established elven deities.
- Worships deity normally associated with another race.
- Worships unspecified “forces of nature” or the elements.
- Does not recognize divine powers as holding sway over them
Main crafts and trade items: (roll twice)
- Does not build temples, but worships in groves that are untouched
- Has several temple structures for the whole community.
- Has one temple central for the whole community.
- Each home has its own shrine.
- Stone masonry/statuary
- Weapons and armorsmithing.
- Wines and produce.
- No private homes; entire settlement one big commune.
- Single, nuclear family dwellings.
- Extended family/clan lives in compound
Return to Maps and Floor Plans
Return to Arèthane